Author Topic: I ride with my C14 high-beam on during the day  (Read 56029 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: I ride with my C14 high-beam on during the day
« Reply #120 on: June 21, 2012, 10:38:12 AM »
I had refrained from this thread at the first as it was intended as a troll by the OP, but it surprised him and turned into an actual discussion.  Now that it has come full circle and is fully a clown thread, why bother?

Loud pipes save lives.  If it's too loud, you're too old.
Daytime high beams save lives.  If it's too bright, you're too old.

Same stupidity from both crowds.

Wasn't a troll thread.  My "rear brake light" thread was hi-jacked with frontlights/hi beam chatter.  If you were attentive you may have noticed this was a hi-jack response (as someone in this thread mentioned) before you being so quick to point the troll slander gun at me. And again wrong, the real debate didn't surprise me, it was already happening in the hi-jacked thread

But either way its all good heh
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 11:09:04 AM by stevewfl »
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #121 on: June 21, 2012, 01:41:34 PM »
You apparently don't know me at all.  Let's start with I am a Libertarian...

Hmmm... Well that's probably why we've never met, I haven't been to a library since I was in school, but I do still remember the libertarian there and she wasn't very nice, she always kept telling me to be quiet...  :-\

Offline Conrad

« Reply #122 on: June 21, 2012, 01:47:49 PM »

Hmmm... Well that's probably why we've never met, I haven't been to a library since I was in school, but I do still remember the libertarian there and she wasn't very nice, she always kept telling me to be quiet...  :-\

:rotflmao:
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #123 on: June 21, 2012, 01:50:04 PM »
For the record...Steve isn't a Troll.  He's a bit gnomish but not a Troll.  Occasionally he starts some s*** but all in all he's a gnome.  ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #124 on: June 21, 2012, 03:27:13 PM »
Its all good I have thick skin on the 'net, I just can't get too serious about it  :D

And actually I'm an

Perhaps the only one on this forum!
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #125 on: June 21, 2012, 03:29:21 PM »
O:)
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #126 on: June 21, 2012, 04:15:44 PM »
For the record...Steve isn't a Troll.  He's a bit gnomish but not a Troll.  Occasionally he starts some s*** but all in all he's a gnome.  ;)

+1.  He is a nice, rational person and likes a good debate; and I appreciate that.  Plus I like most of what he writes (although the style is a bit unusual at times.... not like I have much room to talk).  But he doesn't tolerate too much clowning, illogical retorts, nor personal attacks.  I can't say I like it that much myself (nor do you ever see me doing it), but, surprisingly, I have been told I really am the life of the party by many people, and I don't even drink!  (I doubt you could tell THAT from the forum).

Anyway, if you cut out the irrational, emotional, or silly stuff, I think this was actually a very interesting and productive thread.  I think that most people (including myself) learned something new and/or have a better appreciation for other people's positions.

Those that expect to "win" or "lose" are not going to be happy because rarely are things in life a simple black and white.   Those that resort to badgering, attacking, or insults need to examine their position- perhaps they have no real justification for their beliefs.  Fortunately, that is rare here.  I am on a lot of forums and I can say that this one has one of the best caliber of people on any of them and it is certainly the most entertaining.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Cuda

« Reply #127 on: June 21, 2012, 05:01:12 PM »
Last week I had a employee get rear ended at 7AM while at a stop light in his pickup truck...
I guess he should have had LED rear lights blinking wildly ?????
So that 85 year old man could have seen him , pickup totaled he went for a Cat scan today, whiplash  injury. 
Gods waiting room Naples Fl.
My wife said she hates my bike because of the OTHER GUY!

See you folks, time to jump into the conversion van for a boat race in Bucksport SC , alot safer than driving around here , I see posts where a lot of you say you don't drive at night, It is my time to drive because no one is on the road , I love getting on the bike after 10 PM because no one is out ,after 11PM most stop lights around here go to a blinking mode... NICE.
« Last Edit: June 21, 2012, 07:11:45 PM by Cuda »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #128 on: June 21, 2012, 06:09:15 PM »
I see posts where a lot of you say you don't drive at night, It is my time to drive because no one is on the road , I love getting on the bike after 10 PM because no one is out ,after 11PM most stop lights around here go to a blinking mode... NICE.

I like riding at night when the heat is on (summer... like today at 96 degrees with crazy humidity).  Only thing I don't like about evening/night riding (besides maladjusted headlights) are the freaking bugs.  My bike and visor just get covered in bug guts!!!  Bike bug guts don't faze me much (hey- it happens) but I really hate losing visibility on my shield.   Sometimes I just have to pull over and clean the shield AGAIN, and a minute later- splot, right in my primary view area.   I actually came up with an invention for dealing with it, but I can't figure out how to implement it, plus it is off topic ;)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline TLOC

« Reply #129 on: June 21, 2012, 07:11:57 PM »
As Flathead stated, when I'm riding and it comes to MY safety. IT IS ALL ABOUT ME! Who else is going to worry more about MY safety than ME? (maybe one other person, my wife) No one ever pulled out in front of ME because they could see ME too well. If a driver thinks that I'm being discourteous because I have my high beams on during the day, at least he saw me and I didn't get creamed. I can live with the other driver's opinion of me.

+1 Brother, and no ones opinion on the forum will change my mind! I ride all sunny days with high beams and always will! Good post... :D

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #130 on: June 21, 2012, 08:42:55 PM »
As Flathead stated, when I'm riding and it comes to MY safety. IT IS ALL ABOUT ME! Who else is going to worry more about MY safety than ME? (maybe one other person, my wife) No one ever pulled out in front of ME because they could see ME too well. If a driver thinks that I'm being discourteous because I have my high beams on during the day, at least he saw me and I didn't get creamed. I can live with the other driver's opinion of me.
X100

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #131 on: June 21, 2012, 10:17:44 PM »
  I actually came up with an invention for dealing with it, but I can't figure out how to implement it, plus it is off topic ;)

Max', you're such a tease.  ;)

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #132 on: June 22, 2012, 02:10:10 AM »
+1 Brother, and no ones opinion on the forum will change my mind! I ride all sunny days with high beams and always will! Good post... :D

lucky you. I do have this funny tendency to listen to other people's opinion and eventually learn from them. Furthermore, sometimes I actually change my opinion when I learn new data contradicting what I believed thus far, or when somebody proposes something better than what I had in the bag... Everybody gets older (you just have to survive). Not everybody gets wiser.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #133 on: June 22, 2012, 04:32:37 AM »
   I actually came up with an invention for dealing with it, but I can't figure out how to implement it, plus it is off topic ;)

Tear-offs?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #134 on: June 22, 2012, 04:57:49 AM »
Now that's a good idea.  You should patent it.

I don't much care for riding at night because I have a tendency to outrun the lights on the bike.  I hate going that slow.  So I stick to the days for the most part.   I don't have after market lights and from the amount of time I ride at night it's not worth it to me to invest in them.  I am going to get some daytime running lights after I get my gen 1 Canyon Cages, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #135 on: June 22, 2012, 05:00:04 AM »
http://hyperlites.com/hyperwhite.html

Try the Hyperwhites w/modulation.  Fit inside the mirror wells, slight angle to create a crossing pattern.  3+ years, passed many LEOs and rode with a few, no issues.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #136 on: June 22, 2012, 05:03:00 AM »
Thanks...I'm going to go broke with this bike.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #137 on: June 22, 2012, 05:31:24 AM »
Well, ya always could get a fresh paint job on the suit ;)  This is a true safety farkle, I'd actually rate them above the hyperlights in terms of function and added conspicuity.  I'm not a fan of running with the high beams on, the term target fixation is more than something seen on TV.  I deal with enough on the road that I really don't need some ticked off, running late for whatever reason, taking their frustaration out on me.  I say to each their own and ride their ride, if high beams gives a person the warm fuzzy then do it, because confidence is indeed a big part of rider awareness.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #138 on: June 22, 2012, 07:36:37 AM »
I have been running with high beams in bright daylight and I don't get "dazzled" by oncoming vehicles with high beams during the day but I did notice one thing this morning. It does make it more difficult to see turn signals. I think I'll go out and get some driving lights and turn to high beams off.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #139 on: June 22, 2012, 10:52:20 AM »
It does make it more difficult to see turn signals.
Very good point, I feel my self being pulled to the dark dim side of the force.  8)

http://hyperlites.com/hyperwhite.html

Try the Hyperwhites w/modulation.  Fit inside the mirror wells, slight angle to create a crossing pattern.  3+ years, passed many LEOs and rode with a few, no issues.

Thanks SOP! Safety farkles don't need S.O. pre-approval.  ;D