Author Topic: I ride with my C14 high-beam on during the day  (Read 56032 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: I ride with my C14 high-beam on during the day
« Reply #100 on: June 20, 2012, 12:43:30 PM »
Wow, thanks stevewfl and maxtog for getting this all going. Thanks for the girlie pics too (you know who you are), they helped keep the mood light. Much to think about here. As I've said elsewhere, brights just don't bother me during the day. In fact with so many vehicles running headlights on during the day, brights are the only ones that stand out. Still some valid points have been made about the brights may actually obscure the ability to determine speed and direction of travel. I've never noticed that, but again during the day I just don't find there is enough contrast to be dazzled by brights. Overcast days can sometimes seem even brighter than sunny days so brights don't bother me then either. Only at night or in very dark overcast storm situations do brights negatively effect my vision. This is why I think many have trouble thinking there is a problem with brights on during the day, they just can't see it. I don't make a habit of riding with brights on but I do ride with my Denali lights on during the day, and I know they scatter light all over. This thread has made me think that I should see about getting them dimmed for day light usage. I think I'll have a friend in a cage due some daytime opposing approaches on a two lane road in the near future to give me an opinion as to my visibility/annoyance/blinding appearance. (If I'm going to get run over because of my blinding lights, at least it should be by a friend, right?)

Now as for brights during the day vs. improved rider training/ability, that wasn't the topic. Nor were accidents at night, nor FJR maintenance records???? eh?  ???  I mean while we are in left field, let's talk baseball. Oh, and I don't think Pamela really got slutty until after she left Tool time.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #101 on: June 20, 2012, 12:54:11 PM »
Baseball you say?

Cubs beat the White Sox twice, they're playing again tonight.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #102 on: June 20, 2012, 05:36:21 PM »
Baseball you say?

Cubs beat the White Sox twice, they're playing again tonight.
That's my north side boys!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #103 on: June 20, 2012, 05:39:27 PM »
Baseball you say?

Is that where they hit bases with a ball?  Or am I thinking of tackleball?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Breaker19

« Reply #104 on: June 20, 2012, 06:23:03 PM »
Just because I'm using my high beams during the day does NOT mean that I rely on them solely to keep me safe, that's just another tool in my toolbox. Of course situational awareness, judgment, and skill are still at the top of the list in my toolbox. I can use more than one tool at a time you know?

Heck, just run the high-beam on and if a (potentially or realized) irate driver decides to mention something like at a traffic light or similar, just look surprised and say "oh, thank you! I didn't realize it was on! I sure appreciate you mentioning it!" Then just leave the dang thing on anyway. Most people in cars are too stupid to know the difference anyway.

My new mantra, "make it look like I'm conforming;" then simply don't. Nobody really notices anyway. lol

Breaker19

« Reply #105 on: June 20, 2012, 06:27:10 PM »
Cumbaya.... (where is Joan Baez when you need her)?

Tire question: Who is running a car tire?

Fretka

:goodpost: :hail: :rotflmao:

That was a HUGE debate on the Vulcan Nomad forum years ago, I mean wow... they got into cyber-fisticuffs over that topic!

Breaker19

« Reply #106 on: June 20, 2012, 06:31:02 PM »
I'll go along with a group hug as long as one of those tool time girls get in on it.

It'd be "tool" time with either of those fine specimens... group hug or not!  8)

Breaker19

« Reply #107 on: June 20, 2012, 07:25:06 PM »
With all the talk about highbeams, sunglasses and driving and night, I figured I'd make a little video. I call it, "Ode to Sunglasses and Highbeams!"

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/tmbevtfd/?action=view&current=odetosunglassesandhighbeams.mp4

Offline ugocon

« Reply #108 on: June 21, 2012, 03:48:02 AM »
"...It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. - Hit it!"

:hail: too classic!

I loved the clip! :chugbeer: :goodpost:

Ah, I was forgetting...

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

;)
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #109 on: June 21, 2012, 04:42:11 AM »
With all the talk about highbeams, sunglasses and driving and night, I figured I'd make a little video. I call it, "Ode to Sunglasses and Highbeams!"

http://s62.photobucket.com/albums/h90/tmbevtfd/?action=view&current=odetosunglassesandhighbeams.mp4

What the hell?

:rotflmao:

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #110 on: June 21, 2012, 04:57:22 AM »
Excellent! 8)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #111 on: June 21, 2012, 06:53:15 AM »
the problem is aging eyes.  Some guys on here are "older" riders and they see the world that way .   Bottom line is the vast  majority of drivers on the road dont get bothered by highbeams in the daylight.  Do your own test and ask a group of people the question, i did and i didnt get 1 person to say highbeams during the day bothers them .    If your eyes are that bad that it bothers "you" suck it up or turn in your license and get a rascal.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #112 on: June 21, 2012, 07:46:35 AM »
"...It's dark and we're wearing sunglasses. - Hit it!"

:hail: too classic!

I loved the clip! :chugbeer: :goodpost:

Ah, I was forgetting...

8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

;)

:rotflmao:"Were on a mission from God..."

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #113 on: June 21, 2012, 08:25:58 AM »
Hoveround!!!!!

2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Conrad

« Reply #114 on: June 21, 2012, 08:30:22 AM »
The cat wants the high beams ON!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #115 on: June 21, 2012, 08:49:25 AM »

^^^^^^^^WIN RIGHT THERE 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #116 on: June 21, 2012, 09:25:11 AM »
I had refrained from this thread at the first as it was intended as a troll by the OP, but it surprised him and turned into an actual discussion.  Now that it has come full circle and is fully a clown thread, why bother?

Loud pipes save lives.  If it's too loud, you're too old.
Daytime high beams save lives.  If it's too bright, you're too old.

Same stupidity from both crowds.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2012, 09:50:45 AM »
LT1, you're too grumpy.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Breaker19

« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2012, 10:11:37 AM »
I had refrained from this thread at the first as it was intended as a troll by the OP, but it surprised him and turned into an actual discussion.  Now that it has come full circle and is fully a clown thread, why bother?

Ah yes, we indeed reap what we sow, true dat! ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2012, 10:19:31 AM »

Yawn...

I'll bet that you're more fun than a barrel full of monkeys at parties eh Clyde?    ;)