Poll

What is the chance you will order a set of Canyon Cages for your Gen 1 C14?

Yes, %100
31 (37.8%)
Probably, %75
19 (23.2%)
Depends on SWMBO %50
12 (14.6%)
Not sure %25
18 (22%)
It's a safety device, why wouldnt I?  %100000000 chance, why can't I pay now?
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Gen one C14 Canyon Cage  (Read 55993 times)

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
Re: Gen one C14 Canyon Cage
« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2012, 08:34:55 PM »
Here is a variation.  Lower part of cage is the hardest part trying to get the cage low enough to hit first with not much room to bend radii.  Other wise the cage follows similar front line as MCE crash bars, everything else relates to the lines of the fairing and flows well.

Gordon

Interesting!........How did you do that?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2012, 09:04:56 PM »
Interesting!........How did you do that?

Photo editing.   You can copy and move sections, "heal" other sections/etc. 

Here you go, I made a totally silly one in GIMP under Linux in about 5 minutes...... I don't suggest this as a valid design, however :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Taff

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2012, 09:12:19 PM »
I was thinking that bars parallel to the lines would be better on the eyes.  This is rough but just my thought:

Exactly what I would like to see. Just extend the bottom bar to account for the initial contact point if the bike is dropped.

Offline ZG

• Arena

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #64 on: May 31, 2012, 05:02:41 AM »
Here is my design.

1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #65 on: May 31, 2012, 05:13:14 AM »
I like that one!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Taff

« Reply #66 on: May 31, 2012, 06:45:33 AM »
Here is my design.

Nice, but shouldn't the vertical bars be wider apart to spread the load?

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #67 on: May 31, 2012, 07:30:00 AM »
I wouldn't mind having to drill a hole in the plastic if the aesthetics are right. Function first, but would like it to follow the body lines a bit more than the mock shows.

Offline Mal

• Arena
  • There is no spoon...
« Reply #68 on: May 31, 2012, 07:52:36 AM »
My advice would be to rotate the rectangle section forward and make it (the top line of the rectangle) run parallel with the line that separates the lower and middle fairing.  JMHO

+1

The parallel lines of the rectangle should match the lines created by the air fins...
`09 ZG-1400
Western Colorado

"It is not the business of government to make men virtuous or religious, or to preserve the fool from the consequences of his own folly. Government should be repressive no further than is necessary to secure liberty by protecting the equal rights of each from aggression on the part of others" —Henry George

Offline leyenda30

« Reply #69 on: May 31, 2012, 08:34:52 AM »
Is there any way to get the front vertical bar to go further  forward? Possibly curling the top bar forward as it exits the fairing or... use the top mount only to exit the fairing, then let the top bar go past that point and bend down 4 or 5 inches forward with the top mount welded to top bar from behind. I agree the horizontal bars need to follow the lines of the lower fairing. Good luck...looks like a real head scratcher.
08 Kawasaki Concours
05 Honda VTX
07 Husky SM610 sold

Offline Huero

« Reply #70 on: May 31, 2012, 09:39:31 AM »
Ryan, you guys are doing good work! 

If we had to cut a hole would it be in the bottom(black) part of the fairing? Just wondering.

Thanks,
Huero

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #71 on: May 31, 2012, 10:13:46 AM »
I'm liking all these comments! Definitely some good ideas being tossed around. Since there were so many of you to comment, It'd take me a long time to answer everyone individually so I'll just address some of the main concerns that have been brought up. Firstly, I definitely think the horizontal bars need to be tweaked to flow a bit better with the fairings. As it is currently there is no drilling necessary but we're a bit limited by the mounting points we have available. If we were to drill for one of the mounting points that would open us up to quite a few more design options. With that said, we're not sure where the hole would be yet, that would really depend on what design we came up with. I think it'd be easier to create a design that's easier on the eyes if we were to drill because then we can pretty much make the bar however we want without having to work around the vents and the externally available mounting points. Also, if we were to drill, I'd prefer it to be into the black subfairing part but most of the strong mounting points are slightly higher on the bike behind the colored portion so we have to keep that in mind. Furthermore, when recommending a certain design, keep in mind that the bar must cover the portion of the bike where the lower rearmost portion of the "rectangle" is currently because that's where the bike first comes in contact with the ground in a tip over.

I'm going to go talk with Armando and see if we can apply some of these changes. I'll post more pics when we have something mocked up for you guys! Thanks again for all of the recommendations and support! You guys are part of the reason we ended up with such a great design for the 2010-2012 Connie and hopefully we can get something similar made up for this bike.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline leyenda30

« Reply #72 on: May 31, 2012, 10:47:39 AM »
Ryan,

When you post the next pictures  can you also post one of the 2012 model to compare it too. The close up picture makes it hard to visualize the overall design. The 2012 bars are right on in my opinion. This would let us flip from one to the other. Thanks

JP
08 Kawasaki Concours
05 Honda VTX
07 Husky SM610 sold

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #73 on: May 31, 2012, 10:50:34 AM »
Ryan,

When you post the next pictures  can you also post one of the 2012 model to compare it too. The close up picture makes it hard to visualize the overall design. The 2012 bars are right on in my opinion. This would let us flip from one to the other. Thanks

JP

Sure, I can definitely do that! Unfortunately I think we'll have to go with a different design than we used for the 2010-2012 because of the vast differences in fairing angles and accessible mounting points but I can definitely post both photos so you guys can compare them side to side.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #74 on: May 31, 2012, 01:18:05 PM »
I am curious what is the clearance for the oil filler cap with any of these designs. Will it still be accessible to take it off, put a funnel, etc. I assume so - but thought I ask anyway.

As for me, I am willing to drill a hole if the lines flow very nice.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2012, 01:31:09 PM »
I am curious what is the clearance for the oil filler cap with any of these designs. Will it still be accessible to take it off, put a funnel, etc. I assume so - but thought I ask anyway.

As for me, I am willing to drill a hole if the lines flow very nice.

We definitely keep that in mind when designing and making these parts. It'd be a total pain in the butt if you had to remove the Canyon Cage just to change the oil. The oil cap can definitely be taken off and a funnel used with the Canyon Cage installed though!

Offline r2t2

« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2012, 03:59:01 PM »
We definitely keep that in mind when designing and making these parts. It'd be a total pain in the butt if you had to remove the Canyon Cage just to change the oil. The oil cap can definitely be taken off and a funnel used with the Canyon Cage installed though!

And it truly can't be any worse that adding oil with the sliders!  :(
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2012, 05:31:57 PM »
Hey guys! We tweaked some of the lines to make them flow with the lines of the bike a bit better. Check out the latest design and let me know what you think! Keep in mind, the lower horizontal part of the rectangle doesn't look perfectly parallel to the top horizontal bar of the rectangle because the top is a straight bar and the bottom bar is bent to curve around the fairings. It looks a tad awkward in the photo but looks better in person.

And here's the 2010-2012 Canyon Cage as requested for side by side comparison:

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2012, 05:36:52 PM »
Ryan, will you do a mock up of a drilled cage?

Taff

« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2012, 06:14:26 PM »
I'm liking all these comments! Definitely some good ideas being tossed around. Since there were so many of you to comment, It'd take me a long time to answer everyone individually so I'll just address some of the main concerns that have been brought up. Firstly, I definitely think the horizontal bars need to be tweaked to flow a bit better with the fairings. As it is currently there is no drilling necessary but we're a bit limited by the mounting points we have available. If we were to drill for one of the mounting points that would open us up to quite a few more design options. With that said, we're not sure where the hole would be yet, that would really depend on what design we came up with. I think it'd be easier to create a design that's easier on the eyes if we were to drill because then we can pretty much make the bar however we want without having to work around the vents and the externally available mounting points. Also, if we were to drill, I'd prefer it to be into the black subfairing part but most of the strong mounting points are slightly higher on the bike behind the colored portion so we have to keep that in mind. Furthermore, when recommending a certain design, keep in mind that the bar must cover the portion of the bike where the lower rearmost portion of the "rectangle" is currently because that's where the bike first comes in contact with the ground in a tip over.

I'm going to go talk with Armando and see if we can apply some of these changes. I'll post more pics when we have something mocked up for you guys! Thanks again for all of the recommendations and support! You guys are part of the reason we ended up with such a great design for the 2010-2012 Connie and hopefully we can get something similar made up for this bike.

Ryan,

You have all done such fantastic work but I for one will not like to drill into the body work due to several reasons.
Other folk will not mind so I will see what comes about.

Jon.