Poll

What is the chance you will order a set of Canyon Cages for your Gen 1 C14?

Yes, %100
31 (37.8%)
Probably, %75
19 (23.2%)
Depends on SWMBO %50
12 (14.6%)
Not sure %25
18 (22%)
It's a safety device, why wouldnt I?  %100000000 chance, why can't I pay now?
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Gen one C14 Canyon Cage  (Read 56052 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Gen one C14 Canyon Cage
« Reply #100 on: June 02, 2012, 09:56:21 PM »
Since we are offering opinions I like to copy the 2nd gen as much as possible. The first version offered but canted to match the vent lines looks best to me. Curling the top mount forward from the bottom hole and bending down keeps the vertical bar forward for best protection.

That's the ticket, as long as it is strong enough (which is still my concern, with the center mount point being so different from the gen-2).
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #101 on: June 04, 2012, 05:42:50 AM »
Even though that looks good, the farther you get away from the mounting points the weaker the bar will get and be able to bend.
JMO

Offline Huero

« Reply #102 on: June 04, 2012, 10:32:04 PM »
I bet I have checked this thread 5 times today. Geez, I'm pathetic.

Offline koval68

« Reply #103 on: June 05, 2012, 09:58:45 AM »
I'm with you. The rectangle is too large. Look at the gen 2, the rectangle is smaller and looks better.
I agree with you guys, it needs to be smaller!!!
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #104 on: June 05, 2012, 10:30:02 AM »
Let's not take this one out of context, please.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #105 on: June 05, 2012, 11:17:51 AM »
I agree with you guys, it needs to be smaller!!!

Let's not take this one out of context, please.

Whatever do you mean Jim?    ;)

Besides, you'd be surprised at how often I hear that.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #106 on: June 05, 2012, 01:31:17 PM »
Whatever do you mean Jim?    ;)

Besides, you'd be surprised at how often I hear that.

:-X

Offline Conrad

« Reply #107 on: June 05, 2012, 01:50:34 PM »

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #108 on: June 05, 2012, 02:09:05 PM »
You guys are picky !! Maybe we should have them hang a fluffy pink ninja while they are at it?! :D

Honestly though, even if the rectangle is bigger than the gen 2, I think it still looks good. We really should consider the functionality while getting as best as we can to the looks. If a smaller rectangle is not possible for the gen 1 bikes, so be it. I personally would not want this design to take eons and cost a kidney.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #109 on: June 05, 2012, 04:33:46 PM »
I don't like the way it looks at all right now.   They took the one thing I liked the least on the other one, and made it bigger on this one.

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #110 on: June 06, 2012, 11:45:23 AM »
I personally would not want this design to take eons and cost a kidney.
I'll give you my liver.... I'm almost done with it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #111 on: June 06, 2012, 11:46:03 AM »
That's the spirits!
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #112 on: June 06, 2012, 11:54:34 AM »
Hey guys! I apologize for my absence the last few days, I came down with something wicked and had to call out of work. I was really feeling lousy!  :'(

Anyhow, Armando and the crew working on this bike have made some other very minor changes. I'll snap some pictures shortly and upload them for you guys. I may be a bit biased but I think the bar actually looks pretty damn good on the bike as it is. Yes, the rectangle is slightly larger but it doesn't seem awkwardly large when viewed in person or anything. I'll be sure to get some "full bike" photos while standing back a bit to help put things in perspective. It seems like the biggest issue is the size of the rectangle, though. Unfortunately we're really limited with how we can shape that rectangle due to the available mounting points. As one of you guys stated, the farther away from the mounting points you get, the weaker the bar becomes. So you have to remember to keep mounting point proximity in mind.

It's a bit hard to see but as it is, there are currently three mounting points on either side. One is where the bar goes into the fairing vent at the top of the guard, then there's the obvious rear mount, and the last mount actually comes off the top of the rectangle and goes in the lowest fairing vent. This is partially whats limiting us from changing the shape of that rectangle. The rectangle must extend that high so we can use it to secure that mounting point in the lowest vent and it must extend that low because it won't protect the bike properly if it didn't. I'll get some newer photos taken though and see what you guys think. We tinkered with the shape of the guard a tad and I think it really goes with the bike well. Stay tuned for pictures!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #113 on: June 06, 2012, 12:04:57 PM »
Ryan, are you only going to look at a no-drill option? Even if it would allow different (better?) design/strength parameters?

Offline Conrad

« Reply #114 on: June 06, 2012, 12:06:11 PM »
I'll give you my liver.... It's almost done with me.

FIFY

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #115 on: June 06, 2012, 12:20:26 PM »
Ryan, are you only going to look at a no-drill option? Even if it would allow different (better?) design/strength parameters?

We were initially considering many designs, including some that would have required drilling. However, we're pretty happy with the basic design we've got now and believe it only needs minor tweaking until it'll be ready to go. We wanted to avoid drilling if possible because of the amount of people that stated they would rather not drill unless it was absolutely necessary. We were considering using a design that would have required drilling but only if it boosted strength and aesthetics enough to make it worth it. We believe the current design is strong enough to protect the bike the way it should and also looks pretty good. We're just working on making some final tweaks.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #116 on: June 06, 2012, 12:21:50 PM »
I'm glad to hear that Ryan!

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #117 on: June 06, 2012, 12:41:37 PM »
Alrighty, I got some updated photos for you guys. A lot of you were saying the rectangle portion looked a bit big so we minimized it as much as possible. I've previously stated that we're a bit limited on how we can shape the rectangle due to the available mounting points but we did what we could with what we got! Let me know if you guys think this design is a step in the right direction or if you have any other comments or opinions, please share!

Taken from a step or two back:

Closer:

View from above showing the "hidden" mounting point:

Here's a cool shot I took with part of the fairing removed so you guys could actually see the mounting/bracket work:

Son of Pappy

« Reply #118 on: June 06, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »
I'll take that set right there, as they are!!!  Need I say anymore?  And a small set for the rear, in the raw :)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #119 on: June 06, 2012, 12:48:18 PM »
Much better Ryan!