Poll

What is the chance you will order a set of Canyon Cages for your Gen 1 C14?

Yes, %100
31 (37.8%)
Probably, %75
19 (23.2%)
Depends on SWMBO %50
12 (14.6%)
Not sure %25
18 (22%)
It's a safety device, why wouldnt I?  %100000000 chance, why can't I pay now?
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Gen one C14 Canyon Cage  (Read 56048 times)

Offline r2t2

Re: Gen one C14 Canyon Cage
« Reply #80 on: May 31, 2012, 06:47:10 PM »
Ryan,
It's really looking good. Especially considering all the constraints!
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #81 on: May 31, 2012, 07:18:47 PM »
I would prefer not to drill unless the drill design made the current design look HORRIBLE.  In my opinion the current design without drilling looks NICE to me.  If you are able to show a design with drilling (but simulated) on the demo bike that would help.  Good job.

Offline stbtbb

« Reply #82 on: May 31, 2012, 07:24:02 PM »
These look Nice I vote for the no drill if at all possible and would not a a problem installing the current design

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #83 on: May 31, 2012, 09:38:09 PM »
Hey guys! We tweaked some of the lines to make them flow with the lines of the bike a bit better. Check out the latest design and let me know what you think! Keep in mind, the lower horizontal part of the rectangle doesn't look perfectly parallel to the top horizontal bar of the rectangle because the top is a straight bar and the bottom bar is bent to curve around the fairings. It looks a tad awkward in the photo but looks better in person. 

Wow!  That is really impressive!  Lots of bends in that sucker (whole lot more complex than gen2).  Matches pretty good indeed.  I am actually kind of blown away.   I notice you jumped up one vent on the top, which probably makes more sense.  My main question is- is there enough support?  It looks like the mockup has no lower front support yet, and when you add it from through the bottom vent, it doesn't look like all that bar below it will be strong enough.

Also, could the front go straight further before twisting back for the mount point? It looks like someone had that idea originally, since it is in blue marker on the tape...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2012, 03:58:01 AM »
I'm kinda liking it better than the gen 2

Son of Pappy

« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2012, 04:13:49 AM »
2 options, either shorten the inner vertical or add a middle horizontal to fill the void.

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2012, 08:05:02 AM »
 You do realize that there is an optional slider attached to the fairing on the bike you are using, don't you? If that was removed would you then be able to tuck the structure closer into the fairing or would the tighter spacing not be enough to protect the bike from rolling over? Just curious as I do not have the sliders on my '08 fairing and there doesn't appear to be a need for them anyway once the cage is put in place.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2012, 09:30:57 AM »
You do realize that there is an optional slider attached to the fairing on the bike you are using, don't you? If that was removed would you then be able to tuck the structure closer into the fairing or would the tighter spacing not be enough to protect the bike from rolling over? Just curious as I do not have the sliders on my '08 fairing and there doesn't appear to be a need for them anyway once the cage is put in place.

Where is the slider you are referring to?  I don't see anything that is out of place.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2012, 12:22:28 PM »
I like the length of the inner piece the way it is. As far as the slider, are you talking about the un-taped section of the lower fairing?

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2012, 12:48:08 PM »
I am very interested in seeing the final product.  A third point of contact on the frame would give me a little more confidence in the strength  but I really like what I see so far.  For $225 (I am sure the group buy will easily surpass the minimum needed) I would love to have decent looking protection that also gives me a spot for highway pegs on loooooong rides. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Jim M.

• 2008 C-14
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2012, 12:49:18 PM »
Where is the slider you are referring to?  I don't see anything that is out of place.

It's the wedge shape black piece running parallel to the floor at the mid-point of the cage. It's either that, or the tape is making it an illusion in the photo. 

.................edit- Ok, I thought it kind of looked like the shape of the Top Block sliders, but the more I look at it, the more it's probably the tape making it look that way.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #91 on: June 01, 2012, 03:36:11 PM »
A third point of contact on the frame would give me a little more confidence in the strength 

I think this is just a hold-in-place mockup.  I am quite sure it will require a front-lower mounting to be "real".  But that is a lot of work for them while just in the "tinkering with the initial design" phase...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #92 on: June 01, 2012, 03:38:17 PM »
This new design looks pretty good to me. Good balance of looks and functionality. I do not want the design to get too intricate thereby defeating the price point. Now put it in production already !  ;D
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #93 on: June 01, 2012, 04:13:05 PM »
It looks too massive to me. I don't like it.
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline Conrad

« Reply #94 on: June 01, 2012, 05:11:38 PM »
It looks too massive to me. I don't like it.

I'm with you. The rectangle is too large. Look at the gen 2, the rectangle is smaller and looks better.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #95 on: June 01, 2012, 05:39:27 PM »
Well I have no dog in this fight but if that's the final design I guess Top Block will continue to be the best looking option for the Gen 1...   :)

Offline Huero

« Reply #96 on: June 01, 2012, 06:13:34 PM »
Ryan, I will buy it right now. I like it.  I think it's a trade off to have bars at all. But, for me, the trade is way worth it.

Great work. Again, I think it looks great and if this is it, I will send you my money now. Just tell me when.

Huero

Offline Bugnut

• The Dude abides.
« Reply #97 on: June 02, 2012, 03:28:32 PM »

Thoughts: if the bar by the case is straightened out or follows the lines of the body work better, it would help.

Other thought, bring the lower hoop up and line the bar up with the same angle as the top bar near the vents. Although this looks like it might not protect the lower body work as well.

As others mentioned, I'd rather not drill either!!
Otherwise, looking good!
Mike
"Now I know what the Klingons felt like when the Enterprise was at warp 9 with photon torpedoes firing away as they blasted past. There is no way I could catch up to, much less get past that Concours when it's on the hunt it's lights at full power."

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #98 on: June 02, 2012, 06:52:42 PM »
Other thought, bring the lower hoop up and line the bar up with the same angle as the top bar near the vents. Although this looks like it might not protect the lower body work as well.

It won't protect at all.  It was pretty clear with the testing of the Gen-2 bars, that at least part of the bar must remain as low as he has in the sample setup.

Offline leyenda30

« Reply #99 on: June 02, 2012, 08:27:35 PM »
Since we are offering opinions I like to copy the 2nd gen as much as possible. The first version offered but canted to match the vent lines looks best to me. Curling the top mount forward from the bottom hole and bending down keeps the vertical bar forward for best protection.
08 Kawasaki Concours
05 Honda VTX
07 Husky SM610 sold