Poll

What is the chance you will order a set of Canyon Cages for your Gen 1 C14?

Yes, %100
31 (37.8%)
Probably, %75
19 (23.2%)
Depends on SWMBO %50
12 (14.6%)
Not sure %25
18 (22%)
It's a safety device, why wouldnt I?  %100000000 chance, why can't I pay now?
2 (2.4%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Author Topic: Gen one C14 Canyon Cage  (Read 55983 times)

Offline r2t2

Re: Gen one C14 Canyon Cage
« Reply #40 on: May 25, 2012, 09:08:27 AM »
Well since I'm always a day late and a dollar short... Ryan... Are they done yet? I want 'em in black. As to your surprise as to how many of us want them... I'll wager that if these had been offered earlier on, you would have probably found yourself consistantly running out of stock. Your police style crash guards just aren't "sporting" enough... Granted the work well, but the local po-po frowned on me putting flashing red/blue leds on my bike. These Canyon Cages on the other hand are just yummie. I already have the small saddlebag guards... Now get to work and get these built (and powdercoated) YESTERDAY ...  ;D 

So add me to the list of gotta have it!

Are they ready yet?
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #41 on: May 25, 2012, 02:12:00 PM »
By all means, continue the thread, makes it easy to keep track of whats what.  I'll change the thread title when the time gets here. 
  At the Fort Lewis Safety day today I couldnt help but think how cool it would be to drag a peg one handed at 3 miles an hour ;D  We had a coupla Lakewood Motors ther, their budget is shrinking so they are being stuck with their old Harleys, they had a chance to use the Idaho C14s, the ONLY complaint they had was the hard as sin Corbin, they want something a bit plusher, so if you have any input along them lines I'd suggest a differant choice of seats.  They loved the bike, called it a bullet.  I'm always hearing reports that the WSP is having issues with high speed wobbles, seems the radio/electronics is enough to really screw with the suspension.

So, 5/6 days and the fun begins, looking at the poll results they should sell pretty good.
Ryan, what would it take to get a set made up fo an 05 KLR?

And thanks for asking and everything else you've done.

KAS stopped using Corbin and now use a local guy.   They have a few photos on their facebook site. 

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #42 on: May 29, 2012, 10:03:43 AM »
So, 5/6 days and the fun begins, looking at the poll results they should sell pretty good.
Ryan, what would it take to get a set made up fo an 05 KLR?

Today is the day! We're getting the '08/'09 in our facility today to begin getting this Canyon Cage made up!

Regarding the KLR, if we were to end up making a set for that bike, it'd be quite a ways down the line. I believe the owner is planning on making these Canyon Cages for a few other bikes first although I'm not sure what bikes he has in mind. Is that KLR650 that popular of a bike? I rarely see them on the streets around here but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Well since I'm always a day late and a dollar short... Ryan... Are they done yet? I want 'em in black. As to your surprise as to how many of us want them... I'll wager that if these had been offered earlier on, you would have probably found yourself consistantly running out of stock. Your police style crash guards just aren't "sporting" enough... Granted the work well, but the local po-po frowned on me putting flashing red/blue leds on my bike. These Canyon Cages on the other hand are just yummie. I already have the small saddlebag guards... Now get to work and get these built (and powdercoated) YESTERDAY ...  ;D 

So add me to the list of gotta have it!

Are they ready yet?

Hahahahaha they're not quite ready yet! We're getting the bike in our shop today to begin getting it fit up though! Hopefully it'll only take a week or so to get the bar fit up and then it'll be another 4-6 weeks of production until they're ready to be shipped out. I know it's a bit of a wait but hopefully it'll be worth the wait!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline galaxieman

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2012, 11:59:24 AM »
Good to hear!  The '10+ cages look perfect to protect against low-speed drops and as a mount-point for highway pegs, so I'm definitely looking forward to seeing these done!  Now I just need to convince SWMBO...
Igitur qui desiderat pacem, praeparat bellum.

Offline Bugnut

• The Dude abides.
« Reply #44 on: May 29, 2012, 01:53:19 PM »
Today is the day! We're getting the '08/'09 in our facility today to begin getting this Canyon Cage made up!

Whoot!   :thumbs: :thumbs:

Mike
"Now I know what the Klingons felt like when the Enterprise was at warp 9 with photon torpedoes firing away as they blasted past. There is no way I could catch up to, much less get past that Concours when it's on the hunt it's lights at full power."

Offline Huero

« Reply #45 on: May 29, 2012, 03:13:33 PM »
Today is the day! We're getting the '08/'09 in our facility today to begin getting this Canyon Cage made.

Great news!!!!!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #46 on: May 29, 2012, 06:21:19 PM »

Regarding the KLR, if we were to end up making a set for that bike, it'd be quite a ways down the line. I believe the owner is planning on making these Canyon Cages for a few other bikes first although I'm not sure what bikes he has in mind. Is that KLR650 that popular of a bike? I rarely see them on the streets around here but that doesn't necessarily mean anything.

Hahahahaha they're not quite ready yet! We're getting the bike in our shop today to begin getting it fit up though! Hopefully it'll only take a week or so to get the bar fit up and then it'll be another 4-6 weeks of production until they're ready to be shipped out. I know it's a bit of a wait but hopefully it'll be worth the wait!

Yipppppppppyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!  As to the KLR?  I would hazard it is twice as popular as the C10 or 14.  The ADV camp is growing by leaps and bounds, to be perfectly honest, you would sell more bars for the GS 650/800/1200 then you would for the KLR.  A bonus?  The DS/ADV crowd tends to have money and likes to spend it.

I sure am looking forward to seeing the Gen 1 bars, I can promise some nice action shots from Pacific Raceways this year ;D

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #47 on: May 30, 2012, 02:40:41 PM »

Yipppppppppyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!  As to the KLR?  I would hazard it is twice as popular as the C10 or 14.  The ADV camp is growing by leaps and bounds, to be perfectly honest, you would sell more bars for the GS 650/800/1200 then you would for the KLR.  A bonus?  The DS/ADV crowd tends to have money and likes to spend it.

I sure am looking forward to seeing the Gen 1 bars, I can promise some nice action shots from Pacific Raceways this year ;D

Hmmm, that is interesting. I'll have to look into those bikes once we're done getting the Connies fit up.

I have to say, though: The 2008-2009 bike is quite a bit different than the 2010-2012 than I had initially thought. Interestingly enough, the mounting points are nearly identical but the fairings and lines on the fairings are vastly different which is making this build more difficult than I had initially anticipated. It looks as though we're going to have to go with a different design than we used for the 2010-2012 Connie. I don't have any photos for you guys yet because we keep making changes to the bar but as soon as we get a design that I think you guys will like I'll be sure to share it with you. Due to the flow of the fairings, it was initially looking like the 2008/2009 Canyon Cage would have required drilling but I'm really trying to avoid that. Anyhow, I'll upload some photos as soon as I have a design worth sharing!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #48 on: May 30, 2012, 03:00:21 PM »
 8) :popcorn:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #49 on: May 30, 2012, 03:21:00 PM »
I have to say, though: The 2008-2009 bike is quite a bit different than the 2010-2012 than I had initially thought. Interestingly enough, the mounting points are nearly identical but the fairings and lines on the fairings are vastly different which is making this build more difficult than I had initially anticipated. It looks as though we're going to have to go with a different design than we used for the 2010-2012 Connie.

I was wondering why you kept saying it was going to be quicker, or implied it would be a similar design, or just adapt the existing one to it.  You can't do that.  The fairings are radically different....  But you are seeing that now ;)   VERY curious as to how this will play out.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #50 on: May 30, 2012, 04:09:48 PM »
I was wondering why you kept saying it was going to be quicker, or implied it would be a similar design, or just adapt the existing one to it.  You can't do that.  The fairings are radically different....  But you are seeing that now ;)   VERY curious as to how this will play out.

Yea, I didn't mean we'd be able to use the Canyon Cage for the 2010-2012 and simply make it work on the older generation bike. I moreso meant we were going to use a similar type of design with the rectangle part and modify the mounting so it would fit on the earlier generation bike. I thought this build would be a bit quicker because we already had a good design in mind but I'm quickly coming to the realization that that's not really the case. You can see what I mean in the photos posted below, we used a similar design and merely changed how it mounted up. This bike has a BUNCH of competing angles though which is making it extremely difficult to create a part that flows with the bike. To me, this part doesn't really look like it belongs on the bike like the Canyon Cage for the 2010-2012 bike.

Anyhow, we need your guys' help! For some reason this design doesn't look like it GOES with the bike although I believe it would protect it well in a tip over. Do any of you guys have any opinions or recommendations? I believe we could probably get a bit cleaner design if we were to drill into the fairing for one of the mounting points but I'm really trying to avoid that. If it came down to it though, would you guys mind drilling if it meant a cleaner looking application? I'd love to hear all of your comments and opinions! Keep in mind: The bar must extend that low on the fairing (extending that low seems to make the "rectangle" a bit large though) in order to protect the bike properly in a tip over and the only acceptable mounting points are higher up on the bike inside those vents. Something needs to be done to make this bar a bit more appealing to the eye but I can't quite put my finger on what!

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #51 on: May 30, 2012, 04:22:01 PM »
My advice would be to rotate the rectangle section forward and make it (the top line of the rectangle) run parallel with the line that separates the lower and middle fairing.  JMHO
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #52 on: May 30, 2012, 04:25:43 PM »
I've got an '08. I've got an extended extended warranty. I plan on keeping the bike. That said, where would you have to drill the fairing? Can you do a mock-up with out having to actually drill the nice mans fairing? Work the design and stub the end at the hidden mount so we could see. Drilling the fairing would not be a deal breaker for me if done right.

Offline r2t2

« Reply #53 on: May 30, 2012, 04:34:53 PM »
Go figure... I'm not too keen about the hole in the fairing. Been there, done that and it made plastic removal a royal PITA. Jeremy's comment makes sense, but IMO the mockup looks pretty damned good to me. I have the GSG sliders and they're always getting in my way when I need to move my feet/legs around. And if you could possibly incorporate some touring pegs as an option they would be even more awesome...
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Son of Pappy

« Reply #54 on: May 30, 2012, 06:35:46 PM »
So, my photo shops is beyond sucking.  I'll try to do it with words.  Starting from the upper mounting point follow the fairing line to the lower cowling, then follow lines to rear mounting point.  Take inner bar to follow rear fairing line.  Lower portion could be lower then cowling, but I would say not more then say an inch or so. 

BTW, impressive work Ryan, tell your crew they be doin one heck of a job!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!  Same for you :)

Taff

« Reply #55 on: May 30, 2012, 06:46:10 PM »
Ryan,

Looks like you got the faster bike color in for surgery  ;D ;D

If at all possible can the bar be mounted without drilling a hole?
As someone else has stated it can be a PITA to remove the plastic for service items.

Jon.

Offline GordonM

« Reply #56 on: May 30, 2012, 08:03:50 PM »
Here is a variation.  Lower part of cage is the hardest part trying to get the cage low enough to hit first with not much room to bend radii.  Other wise the cage follows similar front line as MCE crash bars, everything else relates to the lines of the fairing and flows well.

Gordon

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #57 on: May 30, 2012, 08:15:33 PM »
I was thinking that bars parallel to the lines would be better on the eyes.  This is rough but just my thought:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #58 on: May 30, 2012, 08:17:20 PM »
Here is a variation.  Lower part of cage is the hardest part trying to get the cage low enough to hit first with not much room to bend radii.  Other wise the cage follows similar front line as MCE crash bars, everything else relates to the lines of the fairing and flows well.

That is quite interesting.  Although the 2d/3d aspect is really strange, probably due to the shading from the photo editing.   Seems to extend low enough on the back part, when we have been told is the key contact point.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2012, 08:33:33 PM »
I told you so!