Author Topic: ZX 14 TBs and my impression  (Read 27087 times)

Son of Pappy

Re: ZX 14 TBs and my impression
« Reply #20 on: January 09, 2012, 08:08:54 PM »
I was just poking a little fun :) But really I hope your changeover goes well and Keep us informed.
Al
Al, I can take the good natured ribbing maybe as well as you do, would you believe that Christopher Columbus was ridiculed?

Things didnt go as planned today, she sits naked and untouched today.  Between fruit trees yesterday and physical therapy I am as sore as I can ever remember, but it's a good sore ;D

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2012, 03:44:03 AM »
Leaving her sitting naked and untouched is just Sooooooo Wrong!!!!!   ;)
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2012, 04:48:24 AM »
Al, I can take the good natured ribbing maybe as well as you do, would you believe that Christopher Columbus was ridiculed?

Things didnt go as planned today, she sits naked and untouched today.  Between fruit trees yesterday and physical therapy I am as sore as I can ever remember, but it's a good sore ;D

I pruned a pear tree that hadn't been touched in 10 years about a month ago.  Bought an electric chain saw just for the occasion.  So I was up a tree with a chain saw pruning 8 inch diameter suckers...  I got it done without cutting any of the important bits off, but it took me all day.  I was sore as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline nsrrider

« Reply #23 on: January 11, 2012, 06:02:48 PM »
quit guzzling your crown and cokes and get back to work!  ya got peeps out here anxiously waitin!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2012, 08:40:20 PM »
Finished!  She fired up no problem, she was a little rich but once I have the trims all done I am sure that will be gone.  I suited up, rode to the gas station, filled up, and did a really short run.  I don't have any earth shattering impression yet but she was as smooth as silk when I did a short WFO on the onramp.  They are calling for snow the next coupla days so I dont think I will get all the trims accepted.  I'm just happy I didn't have one of them epic Haroldo type threads.
So, by far the most trouble was getting the TBs into the lower grommets, I would rate this as a 5 overall for level of difficulty and I am at a 5 for satisfaction, time and miles will determine the overall size of my smile.  Once I have the trims all settled down I will send the MAP to anyone who is interested.  As it sits right now I would do it again, if for nothing else the experience.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2012, 09:05:24 PM »
I really wanna see the stripped tweaked throttlebodies.........

:popcorn:

Offline Coomers

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2012, 04:51:59 PM »
I am also really interested in your results; I too have had the ZX TB’s on my bench for close to a year and I’ll definitely take you up of your offer to share the map once done.

I understand that this mod will increase the mid to top end but what about say under 5000 rpm where I do 95% of my riding, does it pull harder here? Some have said that we may even loose some of the bottom end torque with the larger TB’s. The flyotamy, full area P, and PCV did wonders to the bottom end just curious what effect the ZX TB’s have on it.

I’m also curious about fuel mileage. I still go on a number of trips and have enjoyed the increase in range I have got with the two previous mods.

Keep us posted.

Thanks,

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2012, 05:36:54 PM »
 :popcorn:, I also awaiting your findings as this is a mod on my list to do...

Offline nsrrider

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2012, 06:01:09 PM »
maybe someone will actually do a before and after dyno.......I also dont want to sacrifice anything below 5 grand just to pick up a few HP above that and like coomers, i like the MPG benefits of the full system/intake etc.....would hate to see that diminished for a marginal increase in the upper ranges......its hard to have it all......

Son of Pappy

« Reply #29 on: January 18, 2012, 09:03:45 PM »
Once the weather warms up and the snow/ice clears I will be doing the infamous volume test.  Some may remember the method used way back in '08, it involved tape and a 55 gallon trash bag.  The imperical data is gone, I am hoping that Brian (BDF) kept the results from the various testers.  The original test was about flies in and out at idle.  What I would like to do is add the overall increase of a flyless, full AreaP, BMC, ZX14 TB vs the stock exhaust flyless bike.  If Brian doesn't have the original results we will need a volunteer to record their results.  This is best done on a cold exhaust, if I remember correctly Bob (aka Cap'n Bob) argued that a hot bike would result in a more accurate reading.  In doing his testing he somehow ended up with a bit of melted bag around the stove knob.  This test isn't for the faint hearted, Bob ended up buying an FJR, so use extreme caution, we don't need anymore riders going backwards on technology ;D  Heck, it was so bad he started his own snuggy forum :-X

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 09:38:22 PM »
I don't have the test results but I do have the test excuse list.... "The bike isn't running right and Kawasaki wants a stool sample" and so forth.

I think I can speak for everyone, even Mrs. Cap'n Bob, when I say that we are all extremely happy that 'what happens in a snuggy stays in the snuggy'. I have a mental image and it ain't pretty....

Brian

Once the weather warms up and the snow/ice clears I will be doing the infamous volume test.  Some may remember the method used way back in '08, it involved tape and a 55 gallon trash bag.  The imperical data is gone, I am hoping that Brian (BDF) kept the results from the various testers.  The original test was about flies in and out at idle.  What I would like to do is add the overall increase of a flyless, full AreaP, BMC, ZX14 TB vs the stock exhaust flyless bike.  If Brian doesn't have the original results we will need a volunteer to record their results.  This is best done on a cold exhaust, if I remember correctly Bob (aka Cap'n Bob) argued that a hot bike would result in a more accurate reading.  In doing his testing he somehow ended up with a bit of melted bag around the stove knob.  This test isn't for the faint hearted, Bob ended up buying an FJR, so use extreme caution, we don't need anymore riders going backwards on technology ;D  Heck, it was so bad he started his own snuggy forum :-X
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 09:51:28 PM »
Hope your throttle body change works as good as my Darkside/Cartire is working for me :chugbeer:
Keep us informed on your progress.

Im sorry but........... :doublepuke:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Spanky

« Reply #32 on: January 20, 2012, 08:18:30 PM »
Just ordered the ZX 14 TB's - Son of Pappy it is all your fault!   :)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #33 on: January 20, 2012, 08:35:49 PM »
Just ordered the ZX 14 TB's - Son of Pappy it is all your fault!   :)
Dont forget to do the volume test before the swap ;)

Shoot me a PM when you get ready to do the actual swap, hopefully you get to them alot sooner then I did, I'll be on standby when you're ready.  It really isn't as difficult as I made it, slow and steady, plenty of lube, and totaly loose clamps-before the TBs are back in the frame.
I can't wait to do a WFO run at the track 8)

Offline Spanky

« Reply #34 on: January 20, 2012, 08:42:34 PM »
What is the volume test and how do I do that? I installed my area P and am hoping I can pull this off too. It makes sense that it will help with top end, I hope to see improvement in mid range and possibly low also - one can hope. Did you have to remove the bumps for the clamps someone else mentioned they removed before they could get the velocity stacks to slide back on? Just curious. I am hoping to do it in February, not much riding then anyway.

Thanks, David

Son of Pappy

« Reply #35 on: January 20, 2012, 08:50:39 PM »
BDF has a list of materials and instructions for the Barnum and Bailey volume test ;)  I didnt need to remove the little bumps, but only because I opened the clamps fully, I cant stress the BEFORE TB insertion, especially the lower clamps.  It is more intimadating to look at then it is to do it.  Don't forget to add some vacume lines to help with syning the TBs down the road.  I will check my down the road, if for nothing else just to add something else to my own knowledge.

Offline Spanky

« Reply #36 on: January 20, 2012, 09:00:29 PM »
I appreciate the input. I will definately pm you before I start the tear down. Just what I need, another farkle  ::)

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #37 on: February 05, 2012, 12:41:17 PM »
maybe someone will actually do a before and after dyno.......I also dont want to sacrifice anything below 5 grand just to pick up a few HP above that and like coomers, i like the MPG benefits of the full system/intake etc.....would hate to see that diminished for a marginal increase in the upper ranges......its hard to have it all......

nsrrider: Do you really mean you don't want to sacrifice anything below 5 grand just to pick up a few HP? Does that mean you wouldn't mind if it cost you over 5 grand to pick up a few HP? Lew   :o

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #38 on: February 05, 2012, 12:47:24 PM »
nsrrider: Do you really mean you don't want to sacrifice anything below 5 grand just to pick up a few HP? Does that mean you wouldn't mind if it cost you over 5 grand to pick up a few HP? Lew   :o

He meant he didn't want to sacrifice any power below 5,000 rpm to gain top end hp.   ::)
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline nsrrider

« Reply #39 on: February 05, 2012, 07:52:10 PM »
He meant he didn't want to sacrifice any power below 5,000 rpm to gain top end hp.   ::)

yes, what he said.....