Author Topic: ZX 14 TBs and my impression  (Read 27004 times)

Son of Pappy

Re: ZX 14 TBs and my impression
« Reply #60 on: February 13, 2012, 07:09:11 PM »

Ktrack won't let it will it??  ??? :-\
Nope, I can see it now, dump clutch, rapid rise and sudden slam :o  Or a first gear porpoise effect ;)

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: February 13, 2012, 07:41:44 PM »

;D ;D ;D

Obvious Photoshop; everyone knows shafties can't wheelie.
Actually, chop throttle and crank it in 2nd gear above 4500 rpm will loft my front tire just like that.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #62 on: February 13, 2012, 10:16:54 PM »
It is not the takeoff that worries me it is always the landing...  Takes some practice to come down at a nice controlled pace to avoid slamming the 600 plus pound beast into the ground....  Power wise I am still in tuning mode as I just installed the full muzzy last week with the autotune...  I did have a nice 300 spirited ride with a few sport bikes the other day and even without 100% tune completed I was giving the poor guy on the well tuned (aftermarket  Exhaust/Powercommander, etc) CBR1000RR a run for his money, from 45 to 140 he had barely a half a bike on me.    Next project is the zx14 throttle body as they are lying on the work bench just begging to be installed :)

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #63 on: February 14, 2012, 07:58:42 AM »
KTRC off = no more porpoising.

Offline Coomers

« Reply #64 on: March 02, 2012, 06:24:33 AM »
To all the people that have done the ZX14 TB's mod, along with your riding impressions (power and where is it) have you noticed any difference in fuel consumption?

Offline Coomers

« Reply #65 on: March 15, 2012, 07:04:16 PM »
Son of Pappy,

Have you had more seat time? Any more impressions you may have to share?

When you get a chance and if you feel your bike is dialed in I would like a copy of your PCV map.

Thanks,   

Son of Pappy

« Reply #66 on: March 15, 2012, 07:11:23 PM »
Son of Pappy,

Have you had more seat time? Any more impressions you may have to share?

When you get a chance and if you feel your bike is dialed in I would like a copy of your PCV map.

Thanks,
Long story short, not yet, I just had bi lateral RF on 3 levels (nerve burns, L3, 4, 5) yesterday, still trying to get my back dialed in.  Starting to look like Frankenstein back there 8)  I'm hoping soon, as I haven't done much in the way of street riding the last 6 months I'm avoiding the wet weather commute till I've done some dry riding, I'm not really confident my "Rider radar" is %100.  I'll bookmark the thread so I can have an easy way to locate it and as soon as I get some miles on I'll post up.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #67 on: April 07, 2012, 04:18:35 PM »
Nice little 80 mile ride today.  Words will do little to convey how it feels, but I'll try.  I had no idea redline was so close to idle ;D  Found the limiter 1st through 3rd, pulls really good.  I want to take it to a dyno to get the AFRs optimized and then let the AT take it from there.  I dont feel any appreciable loss down low, but a nice gain 6k and up.  WFO fuel is like beer in a college kids beer bong, cruising and I see no differance.  I am glad I waited till a nice day, twice I felt a nice rear slide, once under throttle and once during rapid decel.  I can't wait to get to the track.  I think I'll give her a treat and wash her, followed with a little Ice :)
If anyone is on the fence all I can say is to me it is a nice mod, not earth shattering, but certainly worth the effort.  How much of a gain?  We'll never know for sure, but enough for me.  Once I do get it to the dyno I'll post up the results.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #68 on: April 07, 2012, 04:43:43 PM »
ALL sounds  good,  I do my best to keep the windshield down , I never had one before , so I have a PROBLEM with it, I guess I like wind noise and AIR FLOW , of course I live in HELL so air flow is NICE, when will the need for speed end?????
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 05:06:46 AM by Cuda »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #69 on: April 09, 2012, 11:37:36 PM »
I was inspired by Pappy's post to get off my ass and get mine installed so I took a half day off from work and started at about 1pm and was finished by 5pm...  (I work slow and take allot of breaks)

Anyways if you follow the service manual then it is not to bad...  I did have some fun getting them to go down on the boots even though I put a little grease on first.  Just difficult to get all four of them to seat down proper at the same time but a little patience and my daughters help they eventually went down where they are suppose to.

So I ran it a bit tonight to let the autotune do it's thing and accepted the trims a few times and all I can say is this thing was fast before but it is a beast now!  Like someone else posted if you stay in the throttle the front end is coming up in first (not blipping but just rolling into it)...  I'm not a little guy (about 240 or so) and the temps in AZ are not ideal for good HP but this thing is making more then before.  I had dyno last week with my current mods - Full Muzzy exhaust, Power Commander, Autotune, BMC, and it was 148hp so I am anxious to re-dyno and see what she is making with the throttle bodies...  I would guess im at about 155hp :)  Nothing left now but the turbo or nitrious...   I better be happy for a little awhile cause things are going to get real expensive it I want to go any farther...

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #70 on: April 10, 2012, 07:12:16 AM »
You can install nitrous for around $400..............  ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #71 on: April 10, 2012, 07:29:24 AM »
Rode to work yesterday, as docile as can be, but, I think economy is going to take a hit.  I'll fill up this Morning so I can get a better estimate, AVG MPG shows the same, but the fuel bars seem to drop quicker.  For some reason every time I see a sport bike I feel like racing ;D  wild, aint it great?

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #72 on: April 10, 2012, 08:17:19 AM »
It seems that since I installed the Muzzy that every sport bike (or POS car with a fart can muffler) wants to see what my bike can do.  I usually don't pay them any attention but it is fun to show them what my "grandpa" bike can do if the mood strikes me.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #73 on: April 12, 2012, 11:09:27 AM »
You can install nitrous for around $400..............  ;D

What did you say?  I can blow it up for about $400?  lol  I'll pass and keep the extended warranty.  :)

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #74 on: April 12, 2012, 06:46:38 PM »
What did you say?  I can blow it up for about $400?  lol  I'll pass and keep the extended warranty.  :)

But it would be fun for that 10 second pass down the 1/4.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #75 on: April 12, 2012, 11:56:12 PM »
Quick note, commuting has always resulted in 75ish miles before first bar went away, I hit 82 miles before the bar left the scene, and not too bad as I had 2 on ramps that are ripe for sudden excelleration and I used them.  I think my lower numbers were me playing in lower gears playing with the better powerband.  This tank I rode like most commutes, so eco should be OK afterall, I just need to brace my right wrist ;D

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #76 on: April 13, 2012, 12:26:50 AM »

Nahhh... A mild shot of nitrous won't cause any harm. :) By mild I mean 10hp or less per cylinder. You could run a .032 or .035 Jet on a dry system... adjust the map via the PCV/PC3 and only run it wide open above 7K rpm and you'd be just fine. Did it for a while on my ZX10... it just got old refilling the small (hidden) bottle, and having to deal with bottle temp/psi all the time. But man, you could run a giant bottle (or two!) in the saddlebags AND use a bottle warmer........... tempting.  ;D

Offline Coomers

« Reply #77 on: April 13, 2012, 04:48:50 AM »
Quick note, commuting has always resulted in 75ish miles before first bar went away, I hit 82 miles before the bar left the scene, and not too bad as I had 2 on ramps that are ripe for sudden excelleration and I used them.  I think my lower numbers were me playing in lower gears playing with the better powerband.  This tank I rode like most commutes, so eco should be OK afterall, I just need to brace my right wrist ;D

How is your map coming along, is the AutoTune still making changes? Any rough spots? By the way did you use the ZX14 injectors or the C14 injectors? A ZX14 guru I know recommended I use the ZX14 injectors as long as they are the ones with the green base – some are green and some have a blue base, not sure of the difference.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #78 on: April 13, 2012, 12:59:11 PM »
I've accepted 2 changes, although nothing bad, it seems every time I do the instant snap isn't quite as instant at lower RPMs, upper RPMs she just rocks the house.  So far the MAP from Fuel Moto seems to be the best for low to mid RPMs.  I'll let a dyno guy set me a good baseline and see what he suggests as some good settings for the AT.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #79 on: April 13, 2012, 04:02:57 PM »
Nahhh... A mild shot of nitrous won't cause any harm. :) By mild I mean 10hp or less per cylinder. You could run a .032 or .035 Jet on a dry system... adjust the map via the PCV/PC3 and only run it wide open above 7K rpm and you'd be just fine. Did it for a while on my ZX10... it just got old refilling the small (hidden) bottle, and having to deal with bottle temp/psi all the time. But man, you could run a giant bottle (or two!) in the saddlebags AND use a bottle warmer........... tempting.  ;D

Ok Spaz I'm on my way down from Phx to meetup with you... We can install the Nitrous on my ride and check out the Turbo on yours :)  Did you get it back together with those new Forged Pistons?

I would think a base map on the Power Commander then a Nitrous map would be sufficient as long I as didn't forget to switch maps before I hit the Nitrous....

I would love a little boost down the quarter mile...  I am scheduling a little meetup at Firebird Raceway in about a month or so to run the Connie. A few friends with Hysbusa's and ZX10's, etc will be also coming out along with the normal run what you brung crowd.