Author Topic: Ordered a turbo kit for my C14  (Read 33839 times)

Offline SpazOnaConcours

Re: Ordered a turbo kit for my C14
« Reply #60 on: January 20, 2012, 10:01:02 AM »
Cool news. You can get the Disco Potato high enough to drain back on its own... i ran the pump as insurance. At 8 PSI on the stock compression ratio you'll be able to crack 200mph with the bags off: no need for fancy fuel. You will need to run a bit more boost because of your lower static CR to get there, though: probably around 10-11 PSI or so (no big deal with the lower CR JE pistons). Did you get bigger injectors as well? I've noticed that mine are at ~80-85% duty cycle @75PSI when at peak boost/rpm: just about at the limit. If you plan on making any more power than I am you might want to look into getting bigger injectors... especially running less fuel pressure like you are.

.......and I'll have to pick on you a bit if you trailer a Concours to a bike event.   ;)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: January 20, 2012, 02:06:46 PM »
Cool news. You can get the Disco Potato high enough to drain back on its own... i ran the pump as insurance. At 8 PSI on the stock compression ratio you'll be able to crack 200mph with the bags off: no need for fancy fuel. You will need to run a bit more boost because of your lower static CR to get there, though: probably around 10-11 PSI or so (no big deal with the lower CR JE pistons). Did you get bigger injectors as well? I've noticed that mine are at ~80-85% duty cycle @75PSI when at peak boost/rpm: just about at the limit. If you plan on making any more power than I am you might want to look into getting bigger injectors... especially running less fuel pressure like you are.

.......and I'll have to pick on you a bit if you trailer a Concours to a bike event.   ;)

I am pretty sure he is going to pull a trailer with the Concours not trailer the Concours....  (http://www.litetentcamper.com/trailer.htm)

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #62 on: January 20, 2012, 03:08:31 PM »

I didn't ask Chris about the injectors, but completely trust him to do what he knows best to make my bike safely and dependably do what I expect from it. The bike will be trailering a pop-up camper, not being trailered, to Daytona Bike Week. I'm sure Chris will give me his advice and final operating instructions, when I get the bike. I know he cautions against too much power for a street bike. If one intends to drag race at the strip a lot, then he/she would/could use more power.    Lew

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #63 on: January 20, 2012, 03:51:39 PM »
I am pretty sure he is going to pull a trailer with the Concours not trailer the Concours....  (http://www.litetentcamper.com/trailer.htm)

THAT is freakin' awesome. I withdraw my statement, and offer to pack trailer bearings for all my friends as penance.

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #64 on: January 20, 2012, 03:56:01 PM »
I didn't ask Chris about the injectors, but completely trust him to do what he knows best to make my bike safely and dependably do what I expect from it. The bike will be trailering a pop-up camper, not being trailered, to Daytona Bike Week. I'm sure Chris will give me his advice and final operating instructions, when I get the bike. I know he cautions against too much power for a street bike. If one intends to drag race at the strip a lot, then he/she would/could use more power.    Lew

Chris does seem like a pretty sharp fellow... I'm certain he'll do ya' fine.  :D I'd like to get our bikes in the same zip code at some point and see what the difference in compression works out to between the bikes. We're both running the same turbo on the same bike on pump gas.... color me curious.  ;D

And that trailer looks neat. I've always wanted to trailer a track bike with the Concours............ wonder if I could make that work somehow.  :stirpot:

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #65 on: January 20, 2012, 08:14:05 PM »

And that trailer looks neat. I've always wanted to trailer a track bike with the Concours............ wonder if I could make that work somehow.  :stirpot:

I would pay to see that!   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #66 on: February 02, 2012, 10:42:47 PM »

Lew, any update on the instalation?  I've been anxiously awaiting your update........  :)

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #67 on: February 03, 2012, 08:52:26 AM »
Lew, any update on the instalation?  I've been anxiously awaiting your update........  :)

Wild: Chris Jones has my bike and will probably take another 2 weeks or so to complete the installation. I am currently exploring the idea of adding a quick shifter and, lacking room for an intercooler, a water/methanol injection cooling system that could add another 20% hp and 25% torque as well as cool/clean the combustion chamber. Trying to determine if I can safely enjoy normal street riding and have up to 300 hp available at the twist of the wrist at the drag strip. Don't want to spin/waste too much rubber or wheelie too much (could strap the front end down at the track). Looking at Aquamist, Coolingmist and AEM water/methanol injection systems and several shifters. Aquamist looks good except it's expensive, because it's European. I'm leaning in the direction of Digital Delay's Elite RPM Switch that allows setting rpm's for each clutchless full throttle gear shift. Chris intends to use the OEM fuel injectors. Later, amigo. Lew

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #68 on: February 03, 2012, 07:34:06 PM »
Righteousness. :) I got my pistons in a few days ago and will swap them in when time allows. (pics soon, hehe).

I have a DJ quickshifter on mine... they are pretty handy. I will say that the Connie doesn't respond as well to the quickshifter as the supersport bikes I've ridden with one...... but it's better than nothing. Water meth is awesome if you can afford it, but be careful with power output. :) If you make much more than what the set-up would make at 8psi (like Fretka's and my own), you're going to start breaking things like clutches and possibly final drive parts. And when those things let go, they tend to do so at really, really inconvenient times. Traction will be nearly non-existent at anything less than perfect conditions at more than 240whp in this chassis; I can pretty much say that one for a fact. Lowering will help, but making it hook will just stress the drive line parts that much more. If you're worried about cost (or breaking parts), just stick to 8-10psi... it'll be plenty fun. Promise.

........and you'll need waaaaaaaay bigger injectors than stock to make more than 220-240whp. Five-O motorsports has a good deal on a set for ZX14's that will fit the bill. Good prices, too. :)

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #69 on: February 03, 2012, 09:29:55 PM »
You Turbo guys make me so sick!!!  Always talking about 200MPH and 200 plus HP!!!  I am so green with envy I have trouble sleeping at night!!!!   Spaz I have a Full Muzzy Exhaust on order and a few other things and I am so tempted to just cancel all Farkles and put it towards the turbo system.  I already have the PCV and autotune so that cost would not be there but I don't have enough knowledg to do this myself as you did :(  I can turn wrenches like no body's business though.  Spaz if I had $3,500 to $4,000 would that be enough to buy all the needed parts and fab work needed to put togather a reliable system?  Please convince me to cancel all my other farkles and the focus strickly on the Turbo.  My biggest fear is getting started and not having the knowledge and experience to finish the job....

I would be tempted to just take my bike down to your Garage Spaz and come down every weekend and work on it with your help and of course pay you for your expertise and time.  :)

Damn I want a turbo so bad!!!  I looked into the stroker motors for the ZX14 and those are sick but cost is really high and reliabilty is not very good from what I heard so turbo is a better option.

Anyways keep the updates flowing so I can continue my jealous fit and sleepness nights dreaming about a turbo :)

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #70 on: February 04, 2012, 08:58:47 AM »
If you can turn wrenches as well as you say, you can build a set up. I couldn't afford to do it all at once, so I just did it in pieces. The big hurdle is changing the pistons. Wossner now has a perfect drawing for a set of forged Concours pistons with a 10.5 compression ratio that can be had cheaper than anyone else..... so the real expense is getting your motor out, apart, and back together again. Once you've done that, it's all pretty easy.

Lots of companies will sell you a turbo header. David @ Cyclelogic will sell his separate (along with his other kit parts), and I imagine Chris Jones would sell his once he's done. The fellows at Velocity will make a manifold too for around 700 bucks....  You can part together a system without having to touch a welder... save for maybe making a downpipe if you go with an odd turbo.  3500-4000K is WAY more than I spent on making mine, and about that much total after swapping my pistons (if you can take the motor out or swap the pistons yourself this will save a huge chunk of change). It all depends on who you have doing your work, and how much they charge you. Look around at your shops to see how much they would charge to swap pistons. Call up David @ Cyclelogic and see how much he wants for his fuel system and/or turbo-manifold combo. Hell, call up Chris Jones and see how much HE wants if he's willing to sell his stuff. As far as little stuff and tuning? I would be happy to walk you through it or help out.... just bring beer. :)

If you start it, there are enough resources out there to finish.

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #71 on: February 04, 2012, 09:54:46 AM »
Righteousness. :) I got my pistons in a few days ago and will swap them in when time allows. (pics soon, hehe).

I have a DJ quickshifter on mine... they are pretty handy. I will say that the Connie doesn't respond as well to the quickshifter as the supersport bikes I've ridden with one...... but it's better than nothing. Water meth is awesome if you can afford it, but be careful with power output. :) If you make much more than what the set-up would make at 8psi (like Fretka's and my own), you're going to start breaking things like clutches and possibly final drive parts. And when those things let go, they tend to do so at really, really inconvenient times. Traction will be nearly non-existent at anything less than perfect conditions at more than 240whp in this chassis; I can pretty much say that one for a fact. Lowering will help, but making it hook will just stress the drive line parts that much more. If you're worried about cost (or breaking parts), just stick to 8-10psi... it'll be plenty fun. Promise.

........and you'll need waaaaaaaay bigger injectors than stock to make more than 220-240whp. Five-O motorsports has a good deal on a set for ZX14's that will fit the bill. Good prices, too. :)

Spaz: Glad you got your pistons. Hope you get them in soon and back on the road again enjoying more boost. I sent Rickey Gadson a message last night asking if I could do his drag racing school in NJ with my turboed C14, instead of one of his ZX14R's (have the benefit of traction control and anti-wheelie), with the goal of learning to drag race from the best and proving my C14 will go faster than a new ZX14R. Then, I sent Chris Jones a message asking if he is up to prepping my bike for Gadson's school and proving it will go faster than a ZX14R. Maybe a goofy idea, but would really be neat if Gadson did a pass with my C14. Are the drive shaft itself and the u-joints the weakest parts to be concerned about failing under the stress of more power in the rear end drive? If so, wonder how much problem it would be to beef them up? Later, amigo. Lew

Offline SpazOnaConcours

« Reply #72 on: February 04, 2012, 12:11:03 PM »
That would be neat, wouldn't it? :)

I worry most about the drive gears and housing on the output side of the tranny. U-joints are pretty tough, especially when the angle is as straight as it is in our bike. After that I worry about the clutch inner hub and basket. I've talked with a fellow that runs the C14 outer basket with a ZX14 inner hub at pretty high power levels... so I'm not as worried about the outer basket as the rest. But if the bevel dive gears next to your left foot gave out under load, it would be a bad day for everyone involved. It's a total unknown, really... I have no idea how over-engineered those parts might be. But the amount of force that those gears exert on the housing and bearings trying to push away from one another is staggering. If the bike was 150lbs lighter I wouldn't be nearly as concerned, or if you weren't trying to get it to hook like a real drag bike. But I fear the combination of the two, I really do.

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #73 on: February 04, 2012, 05:30:20 PM »
That would be neat, wouldn't it? :)

I worry most about the drive gears and housing on the output side of the tranny. U-joints are pretty tough, especially when the angle is as straight as it is in our bike. After that I worry about the clutch inner hub and basket. I've talked with a fellow that runs the C14 outer basket with a ZX14 inner hub at pretty high power levels... so I'm not as worried about the outer basket as the rest. But if the bevel dive gears next to your left foot gave out under load, it would be a bad day for everyone involved. It's a total unknown, really... I have no idea how over-engineered those parts might be. But the amount of force that those gears exert on the housing and bearings trying to push away from one another is staggering. If the bike was 150lbs lighter I wouldn't be nearly as concerned, or if you weren't trying to get it to hook like a real drag bike. But I fear the combination of the two, I really do.

Spaz: Thanks again for your input. I'll discuss the matter with Chris Jones. He has already expressed his concern of my getting too much power. If he says he can't feel confident in the bike's durability at more than normal stage 1 levels and doesn't think he can beef up the areas of concern at a price I'm willing to pay, then I'll give up the idea of pushing for more power. If Chris can do what needs to be done to achieve a durable and more powerful bike than he originally planned, the chance of it being affordable are greater now that he is about to split the cases and have the engine apart anyway. $$$$$$ Later, amigo. 

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #74 on: November 01, 2012, 11:34:20 AM »
Spaz: Glad you got your pistons. Hope you get them in soon and back on the road again enjoying more boost. I sent Rickey Gadson a message last night asking if I could do his drag racing school in NJ with my turboed C14, instead of one of his ZX14R's (have the benefit of traction control and anti-wheelie), with the goal of learning to drag race from the best and proving my C14 will go faster than a new ZX14R. Then, I sent Chris Jones a message asking if he is up to prepping my bike for Gadson's school and proving it will go faster than a ZX14R. Maybe a goofy idea, but would really be neat if Gadson did a pass with my C14. Are the drive shaft itself and the u-joints the weakest parts to be concerned about failing under the stress of more power in the rear end drive? If so, wonder how much problem it would be to beef them up? Later, amigo. Lew

Did you hear back from Gadson?  That would be awesome if it happens...  I would love to hear about it and see some pictures :)

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #75 on: November 01, 2012, 06:38:35 PM »
Wild: Chris Jones still has my bike. Some of the delay is my fault for having Chris do more mods than originally intended. He has installed JE or Carrilllo turbo forged 9.5 CR pistons, larger '07 ZX14 throttle bodies, injectors and velocity stacks, Speedohealer, water/methanol injection, adjustable boost controller, DJ PCIIIusb/Hub, map sensor, piped the exhaust to dual Muzzy CFs, hid the turbo air cleaner up higher and behind the plastic, Pingel elect. shifter w/light set to flash at 10,200 rpm and handlebar shift buttons and a BMC Race Tech rear remanufctured/revalved shock, Soupys rear adjustable lowering links and adjustable side stand, heavier valve and clutch springs and cam chain tensioner in addition to the turbo, wastegate, blowoff valve, SS header. I also have a ultra soft Shinko Stealth 200 wide tire and Catalyst Composite drag step seat. Chris is scheduled to take the bike to Valdosta, GA and put a pro/champion drag racer, John Fernandez, on it to compete in the Street ET class in the Manufacturers Cup Finals Nov. 9-11. Rickey Gadson will be riding his Jones turbo prepared '12 ZX14R in the Real Street Finals. I have medical problems, can't ride myself but will be there and tow the bike home (Spaz won't care for that idea). At least, the bike will have actual live drag racing tickets to show what it can do w/a pro rider instead of just dyno results. I still would like to do Rickey Gadson's drag racing school, when I am able. I am scheduled for more steroid injections in my lumbar spine and sacroilliac, which is causing me severe hip pains/sciatica. Sometimes I can barely walk with a severe limp. Hope I get better before I get worse. At my age there are no guarantees but I'm not through with my bucket list yet. I'm very gratified to be one who doesn't follow the herd. I like pushing the envelope, thinking outside the box and doing things different than most others. I lived on and cruised a trimaran sailboat for 5 years including out to Hawaii. Most sailors I met thought I was crazy for having a trimaran instead of the traditional ballasted keel single hull sailboat. They said, "The damned thing will capsize and when it does it will stay that way." I said, "At least its faster and more comfortable (doesn't heel over much) and doesn't sink when holed." One guy gave me a hatchet to chop my way out, when it went upside down. Rode to the bottom of South America even though many said, "You must be crazy. You'll be robbed, killed, bike stollen, diseased, dog impounded, jailed, stranded" and endless reasons why most folks won't do such a thing. There were a few, but not many, who were envious of the adventure. Many were dumbfounded, when we (my Yorkie, Punky, and a senorita/wife from Peru) returned in one piece with tons of foreign stickers on the panniers and tail box. How many of you have lived on a 3rd world country's remote beach on the Tropic of Cancer in front of the only extensive live coral reef on the west coast of N. America, rode my bike exploring back dirt roads, fished, snorkeled and got drunk at will, usually at 5 everyday. I voted today. Hope y'all do too. Later, amigo. Lew 
« Last Edit: November 01, 2012, 10:06:27 PM by punkynlew1 »

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #76 on: November 01, 2012, 06:59:42 PM »
Lew, how's Punky doing? Be sure and let us know how the run goes.

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #77 on: November 01, 2012, 07:11:12 PM »
gPink: Punky is now blind but still going. I'll post the Valdosta results. Later, amigo. Lew

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #78 on: November 01, 2012, 09:46:54 PM »
Wild: Chris Jones still has my bike. Some of the delay is my fault for having Chris do more mods than originally intended. He has installed JE or Carrilllo turbo forged 9.5 CR pistons, larger '07 ZX14 throttle bodies and injectors, Speedohealer, water/methanol injection, adjustable boost controller, DJ PCIIIusb/Hub, map sensor, piped the exhaust to dual Muzzy CFs, hid the turbo air cleaner up higher and behind the plastic, Pingel elect. shifter w/light set to flash at 10,200 rpm and handlebar shift buttons and a BMC Race Tech rear remanufctured/revalved shock, Soupys rear adjustable lowering links and adjustable side stand, heavier valve and clutch springs and cam chain tensioner in addition to the turbo, wastegate, blowoff valve, SS header. I also have a ultra soft Shinko Stealth 200 wide tire and Catalyst Composite drag step seat. Chris is scheduled to take the bike to Valdosta, GA and put a pro/champion drag racer, John Fernandez, on it to compete in the Street ET class in the Manufacturers Cup Finals Nov. 9-11. Rickey Gadson will be riding his Jones turbo prepared '12 ZX14R in the Real Street Finals. I have medical problems, can't ride myself but will be there and tow the bike home (Spaz won't care for that idea). At least, the bike will have actual live drag racing tickets to show what it can do w/a pro rider instead of just dyno results. I still would like to do Rickey Gadson's drag racing school, when I am able. I am scheduled for more steroid injections in my lumbar spine and sacroilliac, which is causing me severe hip pains/sciatica. Sometimes I can barely walk with a severe limp. Hope I get better before I get worse. At my age there are no guarantees but I'm not through with my bucket list yet. I'm very gratified to be one who doesn't follow the herd. I like pushing the envelope, thinking outside the box and doing things different than most others. I lived on and cruised a trimaran sailboat for 5 years including out to Hawaii. Most sailors I met thought I was crazy for having a trimaran instead of the traditional ballasted keel single hull sailboat. They said, "The damned thing will capsize and when it does it will stay that way." I said, "At least its faster and more comfortable (doesn't heel over much) and doesn't sink when holed." One guy gave me a hatchet to chop my way out, when it went upside down. Rode to the bottom of South America even though many said, "You must be crazy. You'll be robbed, killed, bike stollen, diseased, dog impounded, jailed, stranded" and endless reasons why most folks won't do such a thing. There were a few, but not many, who were envious of the adventure. Many were dumbfounded, when we (my Yorkie, Punky, and a senorita/wife from Peru) returned in one piece with tons of foreign stickers on the panniers and tail box. How many of you have lived on a 3rd world country's remote beach on the Tropic of Cancer in front of the only extensive live coral reef on the west coast of N. America, rode my bike exploring back dirt roads, fished, snorkeled and got drunk at will, usually at 5 everyday. I voted today. Hope y'all do too. Later, amigo. Lew
This is AWESOME! Thanks for posting, Lew.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #79 on: November 01, 2012, 10:43:15 PM »
Lew, I can't wait to see video of your bike in action.  Any major suspension work or upgrades to the driveshaft to help your bike launch better (more bulletproof)?
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.