Author Topic: Ordered a turbo kit for my C14  (Read 33586 times)

Offline punkynlew1

Re: Ordered a turbo kit for my C14
« Reply #20 on: December 07, 2011, 04:57:55 PM »
Ditto on the cat. My tabby is quite the bench racer though! He's always got to be right there sitting on the connie seat while I polish or fiddle with something on it.

Tex and those having trouble finding pix: The pic that was found and posted is my favorite and was taken by a newspaper photographer. Punky was in newspapers, magazines and on TV on both sides of the equator including West Palm  Beach, FL;  Moab, UT (where Punky was DOA at the animal hospital after being hit by a car and brought back from the grasp of the Grim Reaper with CPR); Fairbanks, AK (where Punky was attacked by a 135 lb. Alaskan Malamute and nearly killed again); Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego. Punky's chauffer was usually in the pix right next to him. I haven't looked at the website in a while, but there should be a link to photos that takes you to one of our yahoogroups sites. You then have to join the group in order to activate the photo link on the left of the screen. There are some 600 pix, not all with Punky of course. You can learn of our adventures from the link to the website in my OP or simply google Punky and Lew.   Lew
« Last Edit: December 07, 2011, 06:51:53 PM by punkynlew1 »

Son of Pappy

« Reply #21 on: December 07, 2011, 10:30:11 PM »
When you are back in shape Chet, you know you deserve this! You've had your nose pressed against the glass for a long time now!
Tempus fugit.  ;)

-snip+

Fretka

I do have some secret funds laying around, I will wait to see how stealth this install is.  Guess I need to empty a bed and go clean off the shovel, several cans later I should have the change all ready to go.

Offline Fretka

« Reply #22 on: December 08, 2011, 09:45:20 AM »
Put a black hose on it and it's purty stealthy!
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #23 on: December 08, 2011, 03:44:39 PM »
Put a black hose on it and it's purty stealthy!  [pic]

Wow- that is impressive!  Hard to believe they can fit everything right there like that!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Son of Pappy

« Reply #24 on: December 12, 2011, 09:22:53 AM »
Put a black hose on it and it's purty stealthy!
Uh, yep, bbbbbbbbbbbbbbblack hhhhhhhhhhoooooose for sure.  Sssssssssshhhhhhhhaaaaakkkking jjjjjust tttthinking aaaaaabout iiiiiiit.  Damn,, that is stealthy.  After feeling the boost build in the TDI I am so much more into this safety/economy related farkle I can hardly wait.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #25 on: December 12, 2011, 09:24:46 AM »
Uh, yep, bbbbbbbbbbbbbbblack hhhhhhhhhhoooooose for sure.  Sssssssssshhhhhhhhaaaaakkkking jjjjjust tttthinking aaaaaabout iiiiiiit.  Damn,, that is stealthy.  After feeling the boost build in the TDI I am so much more into this safety/economy HORSEPOWER related farkle I can hardly wait.

There fixed it for ya!  You know you won't stay out of the boost enough to get good economy.   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline Khrome

« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2011, 06:55:35 PM »
Awesome pic. Punky looks like he's havin a ball.
Khrome 2011 C14...09 Kaw Voyager...08 Yam WR250X...07 Yam FJR...06 Suz M109...04 Yam RoadStar...03 Kaw ZZR 1200... 02Kaw ZRX1200...01 KTM LC4...00 Kaw KLR 650...99 Kaw C10...98 Kaw ZRX 1100...94 Kaw Zephyr 750...85 Kaw 454LTD...79 Honda XL250S

Offline oldnslo

« Reply #27 on: December 15, 2011, 01:03:37 PM »
Hi, everyone: Thought y'all might be interested to know Fretka's and Spaz's reports gave me the itch for some turbo boost. I just ordered a kit from Chris Jones Performance Cycles in Chiefland, FL. I did some homework/research, was impressed by Chris's championship credentials, his experience with Kawasaki's 1400cc motors and chose him for the job. He will use a Garrett GT2860 as the heart of the kit and says it is capable of producing 260-270 hp, although he said mine would probably be tuned to safely operate up to 240-250 hp at 5-7 psi boost. I told him my goal was to be stealthy and operate my bike as a standard C14 until I choose to twist the throttle for boost that would be capable of blowing off a new stock 2012 ZX14R, which is billed as the fastest production bike on the planet. Chris will install the complete kit including header, gauges, better valve/clutch springs, head gasket, Bosch fuel pump, Tial wastegate/blowoff, Velocity stacks, cam chain tensioner, dyno tune/map my PCIII usb and route the exhaust to one or maybe both of my SS shorty slash cut GP cans on the right side for about $6300 turnkey ready to ride. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to pass 200 mph too. Call it foolish or something checked off my bucket list.

I checked off riding a KLR650 solo to the ends of the world with my little buddy Punky, a Yorkie dog, 10 years ago. Met a lovely senorita in Lima, Peru and Punky, el magneto de chicas (the chick magnet), did his magic and we married. She finished the ride to Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego and Rio de Janeiro in South America with Punky and I and we flew to Miami. At the age of 74, I reckon I feel like doing what I damn well please before it's too late....

I thought of buying a new 2012 ZX14R and decided to do this instead. I will have a highly versatile machine that is capable of shocking most Busa's and ZX-14's as well as comfortably hauling me, my luggage, a passenger and a camping trailer, when I want to. Later amigos, Lew

See Punky n Lew's Americas Motopaseo website and pix
www.angelfire.com/mo/motormark/Punky_n_Lew.html
   does he sell a kit for diy types?
happy trails     2016 c14

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #28 on: December 15, 2011, 01:50:47 PM »
   does he sell a kit for diy types?

oldnslo: Yes, the base stage 1 street kit is $5k, same as for the ZX14. I don't think that includes the valve/clutch upgraded springs and headgasket that Chris recommends and maybe the cam chain tensioner or special exhaust (standard exits right front lower fairing). Anything other than standard exhaust (like dual Muzzy for instance) is strictly aesthetic and doesn't improve performance. I'm getting all that Chris recommends, exhaust and turnkey installed for $6100-$6300. It isn't cheap, but it's done by a pro and I don't have to mess with anything and all the trial and error DIY installation problems. Some have tried and blown their engines on ZX14's. Fretka and SpazOnaConcours have so far succeeded with their DIY C14 turbo projects. Maybe you can too?  <www.jonesperformancecycle.com>    Lew
« Last Edit: December 29, 2011, 06:22:34 AM by punkynlew1 »

Offline Fretka

« Reply #29 on: December 16, 2011, 11:18:08 AM »
The initial build took me about 30 hours and countless more trying out different sub-system mods.

Knowing what I know now, it would be a really straight-forward process with the time factor much less. Say around a very busy weekend or so!
The map making stage really took the longest but now we have PC maps for free!
One of the overlooked requirements of all this stuff is that of now needing a bit more sporting tire compounds. Angels will work but can (and will) easily spin-up if leaned over and boosted. They will even spin up crossing the paint lines under max boost at passing speeds.
Do remember though that the bike will only get squirrely if you ask it to, sane riding gives you a sane and easy to ride bike. The bad old days of turbos trying to kill their riders are over when it comes to street applications.

The overriding feeling you get is absolute astonishment at how hard these bikes pull............ and then keep pulling...
etc.
Most folks back-off way before the potential is realized. (and to be honest, knowing whatever is behind you, be it a crotch-rocket or Bugatti Veyron, is completely toast as you watch them get smaller in the mirror riding your "touring bike with bags and all".   :) :D ;D :o ::) :-X

Fretka under pressure 

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #30 on: December 16, 2011, 12:52:00 PM »
I would love to see a head to head race against a Veyron.  ;D

To give the C14 a chance I would guess you would need to start from a 20 mph roll-on.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #32 on: December 16, 2011, 04:24:23 PM »
Angels will work but can (and will) easily spin-up if leaned over and boosted. They will even spin up crossing the paint lines under max boost at passing speeds.  Do remember though that the bike will only get squirrely if you ask it to, sane riding gives you a sane and easy to ride bike. The bad old days of turbos trying to kill their riders are over when it comes to street applications.

I wouldn't think that would be that much of an issue with the traction control, 2010-2012...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #33 on: December 16, 2011, 06:47:48 PM »
I would love to see a head to head race against a Veyron.  ;D

To give the C14 a chance I would guess you would need to start from a 20 mph roll-on.

The Veyron has a 258 mph top speed.  What that tells you is that the higher the speed, the less chance a motorcycle has. 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #34 on: December 16, 2011, 07:22:14 PM »
The Veyron has a 258 mph top speed.  What that tells you is that the higher the speed, the less chance a motorcycle has.

Understood, my reason for a rolling start would be to keep the Veyron from getting the jump out of the hole since it is AWD.  I can't imagine launching a 250+ hp motorcycle and trying to keep the front end down.  There would have to be some serious clutch and throttle modulation whereas the Veyron driver just mashes the gas and poof....... 2.5 seconds to 60.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #35 on: December 17, 2011, 03:48:37 PM »
there was that guy here with a turboed C14 who posted a 1,7 sec time to the 60 mph. Which I'm sure will get you a neat start over the Veyron. And for about 1% of the price...
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline Fretka

« Reply #36 on: December 28, 2011, 10:44:34 PM »
Looks like you'll have to go with forged 9.5 cr pistons as both my bike and one other have had pistons with mechanical (not pre-ignition) crown failures.
Pop goes the weasel (piston).    :'(

fretka

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #37 on: December 29, 2011, 06:55:32 AM »
Hey, Fretka: Is Spaz's C14 the other with piston crown failure? Are both failures with OEM C14 pistons and head gaskets using standard stage 1 turbo kits with max 8psi boost, dyno tuning by an expert familiar with Kawi 1400cc/turbo tuning and making no more than 260hp? Approximately how many miles before piston failure occurred? Did the piston failure occurr next to the intake valve? Did it damage the rings in the same place and did it occurr in all 4 cylinders? This will be good info to pass to my installer, Chris Jones, before he does the installation. Thanks a bunch for the heads-up about this problem, amigo.   Lew

Offline Fretka

« Reply #38 on: December 29, 2011, 01:21:13 PM »
The C-14 uses a CAST piston as opposed to the ZX which is FORGED.

Therein lies the whole story, essentially the cast piston does not have the inherent mechanical stress capabilities that are necessary due to dynamic cylinder pressures.
The problem with the many tuners offering their services is that they have good knowledge of ZX-14 motors but there are differences between the two motors. I have found (and this is my opinion only) that many of these tuners/builders will tell you that they are the last word and tend to talk... but not listen. Ego and marketing tend to get in the way.
These folks are probably good tuners but they clearly don't know all they need to, and don't seem to be willing to listen or take the time to research the differences. This is common behavior in this buisness.

I have some other thoughts that might be helpful...... gimmee a call before you start this project.

7-6-0  6-3-0  08**99   P.s.t.

Bruce/Fretka

Son of Pappy

« Reply #39 on: December 29, 2011, 04:32:00 PM »
OUCH!!  I'm taking it things went south in a hurry?  A big thank you, and not in jest.  It's folks like you that make things so much easier for guys like me.  I'm starting to think a turbo may never find it's way onto my '08. :'(  Should we start a Fretka benevolent bike fund?  The amount of money and heartache saved is a bunch, least we could do is help contribute, wait, we never got the thrill of boost, so you're on yer own ;)