Author Topic: Ordered a turbo kit for my C14  (Read 33599 times)

Offline punkynlew1

Ordered a turbo kit for my C14
« on: December 06, 2011, 05:26:40 PM »
Hi, everyone: Thought y'all might be interested to know Fretka's and Spaz's reports gave me the itch for some turbo boost. I just ordered a kit from Chris Jones Performance Cycles in Chiefland, FL. I did some homework/research, was impressed by Chris's championship credentials, his experience with Kawasaki's 1400cc motors and chose him for the job. He will use a Garrett GT2860 as the heart of the kit and says it is capable of producing 260-270 hp, although he said mine would probably be tuned to safely operate up to 240-250 hp at 5-7 psi boost. I told him my goal was to be stealthy and operate my bike as a standard C14 until I choose to twist the throttle for boost that would be capable of blowing off a new stock 2012 ZX14R, which is billed as the fastest production bike on the planet. Chris will install the complete kit including header, gauges, better valve/clutch springs, head gasket, Bosch fuel pump, Tial wastegate/blowoff, Velocity stacks, cam chain tensioner, dyno tune/map my PCIII usb and route the exhaust to one or maybe both of my SS shorty slash cut GP cans on the right side for about $6300 turnkey ready to ride. Who knows, maybe I'll be able to pass 200 mph too. Call it foolish or something checked off my bucket list.

I checked off riding a KLR650 solo to the ends of the world with my little buddy Punky, a Yorkie dog, 10 years ago. Met a lovely senorita in Lima, Peru and Punky, el magneto de chicas (the chick magnet), did his magic and we married. She finished the ride to Ushuaia, Tierra del Fuego and Rio de Janeiro in South America with Punky and I and we flew to Miami. At the age of 74, I reckon I feel like doing what I damn well please before it's too late....

I thought of buying a new 2012 ZX14R and decided to do this instead. I will have a highly versatile machine that is capable of shocking most Busa's and ZX-14's as well as comfortably hauling me, my luggage, a passenger and a camping trailer, when I want to. Later amigos, Lew

See Punky n Lew's Americas Motopaseo website and pix
www.angelfire.com/mo/motormark/Punky_n_Lew.html
« Last Edit: December 06, 2011, 08:22:39 PM by punkynlew1 »

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
Re: Ordered a turbo kit for my C14
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2011, 05:36:20 PM »
That sounds good Lew and best of luck with the rig. Tell us that you are not going to try to set a C-14 speed record with Punky riding on the tank though....  :o

Please post a photo or two when the project is done.

Brian

Hi, everyone: Thought y'all might be interested to know Fretka's and Spaz's reports gave me the itch for some turbo boost. I just ordered a kit from Chris Jones Performance Cycles in Chiefland, FL.

<snip>

I thought of buying a new 2012 ZX14R and decided to do this instead. I will have a highly versatile machine that is capable of shocking most Busa's and ZX-14's as well as comfortably hauling me, my luggage, a passenger and a camping trailer, when I want to. Later amigos, Lew
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Spanky

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2011, 05:36:55 PM »
Punkynlew I hope I am half the man you are at your age :). Awesome setup. I was in Trujillo in June via Lima. Peruvian women are gorgeous! I am sure you are a lucky man - not just because of your monster Connie. Please keep us updated once you get the bike back. I will be very interested to hear how you like it.

You are my new idol.

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2011, 05:47:19 PM »
Welcome to the forum. We need more like you and Punky. Kirby, our only other mascot is a bit dry.
I'd take that Connie to the Salt Flats and see what she'll do!
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2011, 05:53:30 PM »
That sounds good Lew and best of luck with the rig. Tell us that you are not going to try to set a C-14 speed record with Punky riding on the tank though....  :o

Please post a photo or two when the project is done.

Brian

BDF: Punky rarely rides anymore. He is now 17 years of age. We have a 1 1/2 years Yorkie puppy, though. He's only been on the bike twice for short rides around town.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2011, 05:54:20 PM »
Pics of Punky? ...what can I say, I like dogs.

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2011, 06:11:23 PM »
Pics of Punky? ...what can I say, I like dogs.

gpink: See our website and pix now listed at the end of my OP

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2011, 07:17:10 PM »
Welcome to the forum.  I can't wait to hear how the bike turns out. 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Son of Pappy

« Reply #8 on: December 06, 2011, 07:23:03 PM »
I'm not worthy, well not yet anyway.  Any links to this power enhancing guru?

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #9 on: December 06, 2011, 08:08:42 PM »
I'm not worthy, well not yet anyway.  Any links to this power enhancing guru?

Son: Chris Jones at <www.jonesperformancecycle.com> his email: chrisjones352@bellsouth.net
shop phone: (352) 490-8068 in Chiefland, FL

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2011, 08:12:50 PM »
gpink: See our website and pix now listed at the end of my OP

My computer didn't like that link...  ???

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2011, 08:16:23 PM »
I can't wait to see the progress on your build.  I hope to add a turbo to my bike after the warranty is expired. 
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2011, 08:24:42 PM »

ZG: Sorry, I corrected the link. It needed a .html instead of a /html at the end

Offline Z71

« Reply #13 on: December 06, 2011, 08:30:43 PM »
Somehow I think that installing a turbocharger on your bike will void your factory warranty (if you have any left).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #14 on: December 06, 2011, 09:31:56 PM »

This is the only pic I could find from any of the links (but it is a great one):

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/9092801/homepage/name/homepage.jpg?type=sn

I doubt I could get either of my cats to ride with me... although I did see a show on TV about a motorcycle cat.  http://www.holytaco.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2009/12/MotorcycleCat.JPG
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Son of Pappy

« Reply #15 on: December 06, 2011, 09:54:20 PM »
Son: Chris Jones at <www.jonesperformancecycle.com> his email: chrisjones352@bellsouth.net
shop phone: (352) 490-8068 in Chiefland, FL
Thanks Lew, I'll be following as things progress, I'll be talking to him about a DIY PnP kit, stealth mode of course.

Offline Fretka

« Reply #16 on: December 07, 2011, 11:02:47 AM »
Thanks Lew, I'll be following as things progress, I'll be talking to him about a DIY PnP kit, stealth mode of course.

When you are back in shape Chet, you know you deserve this! You've had your nose pressed against the glass for a long time now!
Tempus fugit.  ;)

Welcome to the forum Lew! In reading your parts list you will have a quality build with a little engine safety margin built-in as well. The man seems to know his stuff. The rather smallish turbo will give you boost down low in the rpm range, probably around 3500 rpm. This combo makes for a very usable (but not necessarily docile) engine.

Anything above 8 pounds boost is total overkill and can't be used on the street.
BTW... I'd suggest some velcro for your dog!

Any questions of my experience feel free to call  7*6*0 6*3*0. 0*8*9*9

Fretka
Wretched excess visited upon an innocent C-14

Offline punkynlew1

« Reply #17 on: December 07, 2011, 12:29:30 PM »
When you are back in shape Chet, you know you deserve this! You've had your nose pressed against the glass for a long time now!
Tempus fugit.  ;)

Welcome to the forum Lew! In reading your parts list you will have a quality build with a little engine safety margin built-in as well. The man seems to know his stuff. The rather smallish turbo will give you boost down low in the rpm range, probably around 3500 rpm. This combo makes for a very usable (but not necessarily docile) engine.

Anything above 8 pounds boost is total overkill and can't be used on the street.
BTW... I'd suggest some velcro for your dog!

Any questions of my experience feel free to call  7*6*0 6*3*0. 0*8*9*9

Fretka

Fretka: Chris Jones and I believe the turbo size will do what I want it to do. I don't plan on needing over 300 hp or making frequent trips to the dragstrip. It's meant to be a stage 1 boost powered streetbike and provide approximately 100 extra ponies of power. Thanks for your offer to help and putting the turbo idea in my mind in the first place. I'll keep your offer in mind.  Lew

Offline texrider

« Reply #18 on: December 07, 2011, 02:42:39 PM »
This is the only pic I could find from any of the links (but it is a great one):

http://xa.yimg.com/kq/groups/9092801/homepage/name/homepage.jpg?type=sn

I doubt I could get either of my cats to ride with me... although I did see a show on TV about a motorcycle cat.  http://www.holytaco.com/wp-content/uploads/images/2009/12/MotorcycleCat.JPG

Ditto on the cat. My tabby is quite the bench racer though! He's always got to be right there sitting on the connie seat while I polish or fiddle with something on it.
2014 Valkyrie

Offline jamiemac

« Reply #19 on: December 07, 2011, 02:54:32 PM »
Love yer story Lew. I'll be watching for Your results of the turbo.
2008 C14, Area-P carbon fiber, PCV, Rostra Cruise, LAAM leather seat, Optilux 1500 & MondoMoto MM10 lights, Cee Bailey windshield, BMC air filter, Warm & Safe dual dash mounted heat troller.