Author Topic: My next GPS  (Read 41497 times)

Offline swojo95

Re: My next GPS
« Reply #100 on: January 05, 2014, 07:30:31 PM »
I just downloaded the CoPilot App. It took a few hours to down all the maps and info I guess.  Unless I'm missing something it's no where near as good as a normal gps. 
Now having said that there are very cool features. I clicked on a thing that took me to me photos stored on my iPad. I clicked on a photo I took in my driveway and it took me straight to my house from the photo alone. Kinda cool.  Also the ability to see all the Wikipedia links for all the things and places on Wikipedia in any area could be useful.
But I say again it doesn't seem as good whatsoever as a normal full function dedicated gps unit
But having said those things I guess you still must keep in mind that it does have the route plotting features and like was said earlier the ability to share routes with a large group

Did you download the free version or the paid version?  I don't think the free version gives you turn by turn voice as well as other features? I use my CoPilot all the time and I ride with my brother a lot who has a very expensive Zumo and while not as good as the $500+ Zumo, the actual mapping and directions seems to work just as well. In fact, I would say on several occasions it actually worked better. It is also muuch easier to integrate GPS, music, and phone with the Sena bluetooth headsets, because everything is in one unit. 

The only features that I am a little disappointed with is the speed limit and the ETA estimations, it only seems to be able to display the speed limits for interstate hiways and the like and not the rural roads where it is needed.  The ETA always seems to be longer than actual untill you get close to your destination. Those two items aren't a deal breaker for me as the actual GPS mapping and directions works really well. I use the Android version, so I don't know if the Apple IOS version is the same?  Hopefully, after you customize it and become used to how to use the features it will work for you.

Offline swojo95

« Reply #101 on: January 05, 2014, 07:34:54 PM »
I <think> that all three major auto GPS producers (Magellan, Tom Tom and Garmin) make their software available for smart phones for something like a one- time fee of $50. As I am the last human on Earth that does not have a smart phone I have not actually tried it but others have said that the phone apps act exactly like the hardware device the companies sell; put another way, the Garmin software on a smart phone allows the phone to look and work exactly like a Garmin. ?? Like I said, all hearsay so take it with a grain of salt.

Brian

I don't believe there is a Garmin option for Android, they have some other apps, but not an actuall GPS app. I looked hi & lo for a good GPS app and tried many of them before getting the CoPilot app, albeit I haven't looked for one in the past year.  Many of the GPS phone apps require a data connection, which just doesn't work well for the bike and the backroads.

I do think Garmin has an app for IOS though?

Offline ssbraun

« Reply #102 on: January 05, 2014, 08:54:38 PM »
I downloaded the Copilot US/Canada app today as well (for $11.00!!).  I'm pretty much a beginner as far as GPS use goes; for the price, this is a pretty cheap experiment. I finally got a smart phone, but still dislike the idea of the cost of data use (old fashioned I suppose :) )so if this works anywhere close to as well as my old TomTom  XLOne, I'll be thrilled!

Now if I could only get the sound quality of my Bowers and Wilkins P5 headphones in a Bluetooth setup, I'd be REALLY happy!  8)
Ayrton Senna ... "Oh, dat fla tie rella fack up ebertang!"
Past rides...'83 GS750ES,'84 GS750SE (Canada only),'85 FJ1100;'98VTR1000F Firestorm;'07GSX-R1000
Current ride...'12 C14 Candy Arabian Red (even faster than black and silver!!)

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #103 on: January 05, 2014, 10:33:08 PM »
My main problem with usig cell phone GPS apps, is the cell phone cannot keep up with your actual location. So by the time it tells you to turn, or take an exit, you've already passed it.  I dont know how many times that has gotten me. Especially on the motorcycle when I have my phone in my pocket giving me directions via headphone/ sena in an unfamiliar area.
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Son of Pappy

« Reply #104 on: January 07, 2014, 01:22:52 PM »
Quick update on the Monterra.  Did a trip this last week, about 700ish total.  One of the reported issues with the Monterra is routing and re routing.  I had no problems at all, even at times intentionally taking a different route to see how it did re routing.  Times were spot on, turns were spot on, and the unit was flawless, which gives me faith for my upcoming trip to AZ in March.  No regrets at all.

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #105 on: January 08, 2014, 12:37:58 PM »
It was the free trial version that I downloaded. 
Not impressed. 

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #106 on: January 08, 2014, 01:19:38 PM »
I just looked at Garmin's site and you are right- they do not have actual navigation software for an Android. Iphone and Windows based phones but not Android. Odd because I would think that was a huge market- unless all the different versions of phones and the OS make it too complicated for them to publish Android versions?

Brian

I don't believe there is a Garmin option for Android, they have some other apps, but not an actuall GPS app. I looked hi & lo for a good GPS app and tried many of them before getting the CoPilot app, albeit I haven't looked for one in the past year.  Many of the GPS phone apps require a data connection, which just doesn't work well for the bike and the backroads.

I do think Garmin has an app for IOS though?
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Son of Pappy

« Reply #107 on: January 08, 2014, 01:24:47 PM »
What is odd is Garmin is droid based.  The Monterra just happens to be the first to have the Android based GPS capable of adding other apps.  The prime app for the Monterra is Garmin Outdoor Adventures (GOA).

Son of Pappy

« Reply #108 on: January 08, 2014, 01:41:31 PM »
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.garmin.android.obn.client&hl=en&rdid=com.garmin.android.obn.client
There is this, but it is a fee based program, and oddly, one I can't load to my Galaxy S3  :o

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #109 on: January 08, 2014, 02:07:53 PM »
Garmin is lackluster at best compared to google maps and such, and we want to put it on our phones?  Maybe i need to read further back in the thread and figure out whats up LoL

Has anyone looked at this mac daddy below?

1. Sygic: GPS Navigation Maps (Free) http://www.heavy.com/tech/2013/07/top-best-gps-apps-for-android-2013/
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #110 on: January 08, 2014, 02:11:24 PM »
OK but I believe the full featured Garmin smartphone navigation software is actually Garmin StreetPilot, and I think it is something like $50, one- time fee. I believe it duplicates the function of modern Garmin GPSs on a smartphone, and holds the data on the phone so no cell tower link is needed to navigate.

Again, take this with a grain of salt because I have not used any smartphone navigation software and do not even have a smartphone. This information comes from others who are using it and are familiar with Garmin auto GPS standalone units- at least some claim it is about the same thing. If so, it would be a great value for $50 provided one already had a smartphone.

Brian

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.garmin.android.obn.client&hl=en&rdid=com.garmin.android.obn.client
There is this, but it is a fee based program, and oddly, one I can't load to my Galaxy S3  :o
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #111 on: January 08, 2014, 02:12:52 PM »
So many great free GPS apps out there not requiring cell signal, I can't imagine cursing my droid with Garmin anything on it  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #112 on: January 08, 2014, 02:15:06 PM »
Will Google maps route in real time and give turn- by- turn directions on a smartphone? If so, that would be great. Assuming one could load the map data completely on the phone and not depend on cell towers. ??

This thread is about someone asking what to buy for a stand- alone GPS. The subject of using a smartphone with active GPS software and an on-board GPS receiver cropped up and that is what we are kicking around. I think....  ;D

Brian

Garmin is lackluster at best compared to google maps and such, and we want to put it on our phones?  Maybe i need to read further back in the thread and figure out whats up LoL

Has anyone looked at this mac daddy below?

1. Sygic: GPS Navigation Maps (Free) http://www.heavy.com/tech/2013/07/top-best-gps-apps-for-android-2013/

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #113 on: January 08, 2014, 02:17:48 PM »
Please elaborate a bit on this Steve- a lot of us are quite interested in alternative hardware to motorcycle GPS's.

If there was a tablet out there that was daylight readable, ran Windoze OS, and did not cost over a grand, I would have one and be using Streets and Trips with a GPS receiver..... that is the best routing / planning / turn- by- turn direction software that I am aware of.

Brian

So many great free GPS apps out there not requiring cell signal, I can't imagine cursing my droid with Garmin anything on it  ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #114 on: January 08, 2014, 02:26:15 PM »
Please elaborate a bit on this Steve- a lot of us are quite interested in alternative hardware to motorcycle GPS's.

If there was a tablet out there that was daylight readable, ran Windoze OS, and did not cost over a grand, I would have one and be using Streets and Trips with a GPS receiver..... that is the best routing / planning / turn- by- turn direction software that I am aware of.

Brian

Its funny you mention the above.  One of the guys in Death Valley I rode with (owns a Dakar racing shop and will soon receive my suspension) uses an ipad mini tablet while offroading.  He mentioned he needs reading glasses to see a small screen but the tablet is perfect.  I'll try and find out what apps are available and how the heck he mounted it to withstand the brutal terrain we were in.

Look at Sygic for droid.  Just peek at it....     Most rate it #1 and swear by it.  I haven't loaded it yet but many have shown it to me on their droids because Garmin is turning everyone into haters  ;D

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #115 on: January 08, 2014, 03:25:25 PM »
Will Google maps route in real time and give turn- by- turn directions on a smartphone?

Yes

BUT

You are not asking the right question: Will Google Maps allow you to provide a self-determined route that will give turn-by-turn directions?

NO !

Google Maps apps on iPhone (and Android?) has been hamstrung by Google deliberately.

There is a comment (complaint) thread on Google for just this topic:
https://groups.google.com/a/googleproductforums.com/d/msgid/maps/f836f8de-98dd-453e-a856-fe44996c590a%40googleproductforums.com.

I have bought Garmin's apps for iPhone.  I read reviews that could not clearly state routes could be programmed into the apps. And I bought anyway.  At this point, do not bother. 

My best results for using an iPhone app to follow a route is:   NONE!

Right now I use Google Maps on the iPhone into my Sena FM5 Bluetooth headset for turn-by-turn directions between destinations.  As I deviate from the route to go 'the fun way', the app will say 'recalculating' and offer to get me back onto its route. 

I would really, really like to see My Places in Google be supported in their iPhone app.

But, I am not holding my breath.  I can turn Blue just be going outside in Wisconsin for 5 minutes...
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #116 on: January 08, 2014, 03:29:17 PM »
One of the guys in Death Valley I rode with uses an ipad mini tablet while offroading.  He mentioned he needs reading glasses to see a small screen but the tablet is perfect.  I'll try and find out what apps are available and how the heck he mounted it to withstand the brutal terrain we were in.

FYI: I have also placed an iPad in my clear plastic map holder of my tank bag as a trial.  The iPad stopped working when it would get too hot being sealed inside.  Not enough ventilation.

My iPhone sits inside my riding jacket pocket most of the time.  Or, I keep it in an OtterBox protective case that floats better than I do. Or, I put the iPhone in a fairing pocket connected to a USB charger in my power outlet mod.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #117 on: January 08, 2014, 03:33:15 PM »
"Droid" is a trademark name of Verizon.  It is a brand name of few particular phone models, it is not an OS.  Android is a version of Linux that runs on phones.  Very few Android devices or phones are a "Droid", regardless of carrier.

Google Maps requires a data connection to at least cache maps.  If an area is cached, it can use GPS only and show you where you are without a data connection, but will not search and will not give routing directions; that requires a live data connection.   I wish it could, because there are so many reasonably inexpensive Android devices and Google Maps displays maps so much better and more readable than any dedicated GPS device I have seen yet.

There are several non-free apps that will support offline routing, "Garmin Navigator" is one, but I have never used it nor any other commercial one.

There are two free Android mapping programs that will do routing without a data connection (that I know of).   I have never used either so have no idea how good or bad they are.  One is OsmAnd https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.osmand the other is NavFree https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.navfree.android.OSM.USA
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Son of Pappy

« Reply #118 on: January 08, 2014, 04:02:21 PM »
Pardon me max.  I used droid as synonymous with Android.  The "Droid" is an Android based phone.

Go **** in a forum where you are a moderator at.  Thanks.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #119 on: January 08, 2014, 04:42:43 PM »
I read that quickly and thought you meant me! Then again, I am used to hearing stuff like that lately so maybe I am just conditioned like Pavlov's dog....    ;)

First line on Wikipedia about 'Droid' is: "The Motorola Droid (GSM/UMTS version: Motorola Milestone) is an Internet and multimedia enabled smartphone designed by Motorola, which runs Google's Android operating system."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Droid

But all the way back to the beginning of the idea of using a smartphone (of any make or OS) as a substitute GPS, are there any smartphones that are daylight readable yet anyway? I assume they are on the way (7 billion people on Earth, 100 billion smartphones being used per second in the US by car drivers alone, 1/2 of our day is sunlit- it has to happen) but have not heard of any yet.

There is a tablet that is daylight readable, runs the MS OS so it could run third party software such as Streets and Trips but they are just too expensive at this time. Not waterproof either but that can be fixed, the daylight readable thing cannot, at least in my experience.

Brian

Pardon me max.  I used droid as synonymous with Android.  The "Droid" is an Android based phone.

Go **** in a forum where you are a moderator at.  Thanks.