Author Topic: My next GPS  (Read 41406 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: My next GPS
« Reply #120 on: January 08, 2014, 05:20:31 PM »
Pardon me max.  I used droid as synonymous with Android.  The "Droid" is an Android based phone.

Go **** in a forum where you are a moderator at.  Thanks.

+1

lmao, everyone calls android phones "droid", no matter who the patent holder is.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline gpete

« Reply #121 on: January 08, 2014, 06:23:43 PM »
+1

lmao, everyone calls android phones "droid", no matter who the patent holder is.

Well, not everyone.

BTW, Motorola/Verizon had to buy the trademark rights to use the term "Droid" from Lucasfilm. (As in "These aren't the droids you're looking for." )
2012 Arabian Red

Offline gpete

« Reply #122 on: January 08, 2014, 06:28:08 PM »
What is odd is Garmin is droid based.  The Monterra just happens to be the first to have the Android based GPS capable of adding other apps.  The prime app for the Monterra is Garmin Outdoor Adventures (GOA).
The Monterra is Android based.
Not sure why you say "Garmin is droid based". I believe the only other Android based hardware product that Garmin has released (at least in the US) was the A-50 smartphone developed in a joint venture with Asus and sold by T-Mobile.
2012 Arabian Red

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #123 on: January 08, 2014, 06:42:01 PM »
BTW, Motorola/Verizon had to buy the trademark rights to use the term "Droid" from Lucasfilm. (As in "These aren't the droids you're looking for." )

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #124 on: January 08, 2014, 06:45:14 PM »
Bunch of politically correct geeks with your droid and android jargon. Love my iPhone, **** on those android phones. And I think I will be giving that one GPS app a try, figure worth a shot for $10. Great to hear Pappy that the Monterra is working out great for you.  :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Son of Pappy

« Reply #125 on: January 08, 2014, 07:04:06 PM »
The Monterra is Android based.
Not sure why you say "Garmin is droid based". I believe the only other Android based hardware product that Garmin has released (at least in the US) was the A-50 smartphone developed in a joint venture with Asus and sold by T-Mobile.
Spoke up too soon, the Montana runs the Android OS and Magellan has one as well.  Runs in the background and apps can't be added, unlike the Monterra, which runs as if it were a smart phone, just shy of a phone.

Offline BruceR

• Arena
« Reply #126 on: January 08, 2014, 07:25:16 PM »

I think they photoshopped the joint out of that photo.  Look at the way he's holding his hand, and his eyes....
If that dude's not baked, I'll kiss your arse :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #127 on: January 08, 2014, 08:31:50 PM »
Pardon me max.  I used droid as synonymous with Android.

Well it is incorrect.  Would be like calling all top boxes "Givi's."

The "Droid" is an Android based phone.

Yes, and my Concours uses a Mitsubishi ECU/brain, but the bike isn't called a "Mitsu".  (Kinda lame example, but it gets the point across).

Go **** in a forum where you are a moderator at.  Thanks.

Yeesh, so hostile/nasty!!  Not typical for you at all.  There was nothing mean, nasty, rude, or "moderatory" about my posting.  Unlike yours.

I simply pointed out an incorrect term, and without quoting or directing at anyone, and why it is incorrect, then addressed the topic at hand.  If a thread had postings calling the Concours' ECU by the wrong term/name several times, someone would probably point out the correct name.  Computers and operating systems are my field.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Son of Pappy

« Reply #128 on: January 08, 2014, 08:39:45 PM »
What a troll ::)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #129 on: January 08, 2014, 08:50:13 PM »
What a troll ::)

I am not a troll nor was I trolling.  It was not meant to be inflammatory or evoke any response whatsoever.  And intent is key to whether something is a troll or not (unless it is just accidental).

You are apparently determined to believe what you want without giving me any benefit of the doubt.  So nothing I say will make any difference on this, anyway.  However, if you did think I was trolling (which I was not) then the correct best response would be to simply ignore me.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #130 on: January 08, 2014, 09:49:36 PM »
Not cool to be regularly correcting people or be condescending, that seems to be what I am picking up at times whether intent or not. Droid Android car vehicle automobile bike motorcycle motorbike engine motor boat ship vessel gun firearm pistol boobs jugs breasts GPS Garmin monkey primate water H2O.......yadda yadda yadda.  :banghead:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #131 on: January 09, 2014, 02:28:54 AM »
+1

That is absolutely correct.   :chugbeer: :chugbeer:
Everyone may not say it  but most everyone knows  or should know what they mean when they say 'droid'  in this context and not correct someone for correctly using the word.

Back to the topic. Maybe you guys could try WAZE. https://www.waze.com/
 It is free for all smartphones, Iphones,Ipads, Windows based phones  and of course 'droid' based phones and pda's. 
If you think me using the word 'droid'  is wrong when referring to a smart phone when it means: 'Google's  Android Operating System for Smartphones' or simply 'droid' for short which has been now  ported over to PDA's, laptop's and home pc's, media players (ChromeCast is just one tiny example)and arm band  sized wrist devices (Sony), automobiles, eyeglasses and on and on. All these devices can and often are coined as 'Droid' based. Maybe not by every single person.  Yes, to be correct we  should say these are  all 'Android' based  but come on, lighten up. You knew and we knew exactly what he meant.  Yes, some of us are aware that Motorola does make a phone called 'Droid' but so what.  We all know what it means. This is a motorcycle forum is it not?
Also you should be sure of your facts before correcting others:
 DROID is a trademark of Lucasfilm, Ltd. and its related companies and not Verizon or Motorola.
You also stated: I simply pointed out an incorrect term, and without quoting or directing at anyone,
yet in the same post you quoted him directly and then you wonder why he would be agitated. 

Now that was funny: Droid Android car vehicle automobile bike motorcycle motorbike engine motor boat ship vessel gun firearm pistol boobs jugs breasts GPS Garmin monkey primate water H2O.......yadda yadda yadda. :stirpot: :stirpot:

« Last Edit: January 09, 2014, 05:53:29 AM by Daytona_Mike »
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #132 on: January 09, 2014, 05:47:17 AM »
Also you should be sure of your facts before correcting others because you are wrong:
 DROID is a trademark of Lucasfilm, Ltd. and its related companies and not Verizon or Motorola.

Perhaps you should too.   Verizon licenses the name for use on a few models, but they license it so that it can be used as a trademark for their product.  Thus, it is also Verizon trademark.  And as bonus information, Verizon has applied that brand name to non-Motorola models also.

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #133 on: January 09, 2014, 09:44:21 AM »
My neighbor brought her two boys over for me to watch before the school bus this morning.
They are 8 & 10 and they fight and bicker like crazy.  A little embarrassing how they can't get along   
Seems it was a good warm up for me after all. 
This thread doesn't seem so bad.....

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #134 on: January 09, 2014, 09:53:25 AM »
Yeah, but this one isn't even bad.... trust me on that Dan :-)    A lot of us have strong personalities and sooner or later, someone rubs someone else the wrong way. Being behind a keyboard makes it worse because of a couple of things 1) no human contact so no facial expressions or anything else to temper the written words. People take things differently and usually worse than they were meant I think. and 2) there is an anonymous feeling to being linked to each other by the 'Net. Not everyone but some people act a bit differently than they would in person.

At any rate, think of it as walking through a beautiful park on the perfect day.... of course there is the occasional pile of dog.... droppings. So enjoy the park and the day and try to stay away from the droppings. Even so, once in a while you will step in one of them. On rare occasions (for most people), we trip and fall down into said droppings.

But there is a lot of good information to be had from decent forums, usually moderated forums, and good ones are worth the occasional droppings.

Now, about that GPS thingy.... :-)

Brian

My neighbor brought her two boys over for me to watch before the school bus this morning.
They are 8 & 10 and they fight and bicker like crazy.  A little embarrassing how they can't get along   
Seems it was a good warm up for me after all. 
This thread doesn't seem so bad.....
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #135 on: January 09, 2014, 10:23:35 AM »
Hahaha thanks Brian...... Something,,Something,, GPS ??

Is this the right time or place to ask a question or should I start a new post for it, you tell me.

I've got a new set of Sena SMH10's to be mounted into a set of brand spankin' new Bell Mag-9 Sena helmets.  It's been a tad snowy and chilly here so I won't be trying them out till spring. 
I'm trying to come up with the best operating system incorporating the Sena SMH10.  I want music and at least a 5" GPS that can talk to me through the Sena headset. 
I have a new iPhone 5 but I don't think talking on cell phone and operating a motorcycle at the same time is safe, so I have no intention of using the phone part but I understand the iPhone may play a part in the overall system.

We do NOT want to spend the cash on the dedicated M/C GPS units.  I would like a modern enough GPS that I can play with routes on my ipad and  import those routes to the GPS.  Not to offend anyone but I'm of the thought that a dedicated GPS does a better job than a multitasking phone so I'd like to stick with an actual GPS unit.

Wondering what guys are using with the Sena SMH10's with positive results.

Dan

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #136 on: January 09, 2014, 11:00:54 AM »
My Sena is for rider to rider conversation and jamming my iTunes. My current GPS does not connect to my headset, and not sure I really even have a need for that. I have in fact taken several conversations on the phone with my sena while on the bikes, and it honestly is less intrusive and easier for me than in the car bluetooth system. I may checkout one of these cool GPS aps for my iPhone, if anything else it would be a great backup in case my GPS took a crap.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Son of Pappy

« Reply #137 on: January 09, 2014, 11:13:24 AM »
Back when I did the daily commute thing I found wired to work much better, same for longer trips.  I have the Chatterbox Slim XB1 know and use it when solo and have a setup for charging it at night off of the bike.  Stream music and comms with multiple riders without the need for pairing.  I still need to figure out why my Monterra won't pair with the Chatterbox, but once it does I will have the music and directions in my ears  :)

I can certainly understand not wanting to drop the big coin on a MC specific unit, been there, done that, but in the end I believe a dedicated unit will end be a bigger value.  As Brian said, sunlight readable, waterproof, and glove friendly.  Check http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836754 for any possible deals on a GPS.

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #138 on: January 09, 2014, 11:15:42 AM »
The iPhone app is a good idea as a back up for the back up for the map hahaha

I've always been in favor of the cell phone laws while driving in Canada but I guess the intercom is really no different that a traditional Bluetooth car phone set up   

We may end up with a full featured GPS that doesn't talk to us and using the phone for music as you do. 

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #139 on: January 09, 2014, 11:39:43 AM »
Yep, that's the way to read it..... By the way, I've been around here a long, long time (long on the C-14 side, not the C-10 side) and know a lot of these folks pretty well I think, and they are a good bunch. I have met some in person but only know most through the forum but still, true personalities come through after a while even in print I think.

Not for me to decide where [what] goes, that would be up to the moderators. But seeing as you want to tie it into a GPS and sort of make a package, it would seem to  be reasonably on- topic to me. ??

Unfortunately I cannot help you with the wireless aspect and have no opinion. I am a wired guy for a bunch of reasons. Nothing wrong with wireless, I just found wired works better and more consistently, at least in my own use and the way I use my audio hardware. But others here are familiar with most audio systems it seems so I am sure you will get some good advice.

Brian

Hahaha thanks Brian...... Something,,Something,, GPS ??

Is this the right time or place to ask a question or should I start a new post for it, you tell me.

I've got a new set of Sena SMH10's to be mounted into a set of brand spankin' new Bell Mag-9 Sena helmets.  It's been a tad snowy and chilly here so I won't be trying them out till spring. 
I'm trying to come up with the best operating system incorporating the Sena SMH10.  I want music and at least a 5" GPS that can talk to me through the Sena headset. 

<snip>

Dan
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com