Author Topic: My next GPS  (Read 41331 times)

Offline Canada-Dan

Re: My next GPS
« Reply #80 on: January 02, 2014, 10:07:27 PM »
As far as the single lens is concerned. I run marathons and use a wrist watch type Garmin GPS for my running. AND I can't see that darn tiny screen to save my life.  I have been using a single soft contact lense in my right eye. It's a short focal (reading glasses equivalent) lense.  A funny thing happens when I wear it. My right eye focuses perfect for the watch but then relaxes when I look up and my left eye becomes dominant for seeing distance. Nothing is out of focus. My eye doctor thought I would be running in circles with one lense but I wouldn't knows I had it in expect I can read the god watch perfectly.  I've done the same for scuba diving as well with no problems   
I prefer it to the lenses in my mask. Having said this tho, both activities last a maximum of 3 or 4 hrs. I don't know it would bother me to wear a single lense like that all day riding
Dan

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #81 on: January 02, 2014, 10:56:51 PM »
Well that has to be a better value than the dive shop! Where in WallyWorld do you find them? Thanks for passing that along for all of us suffering from 'long arm' disease :-)

Brian

I find them right where you find the readers typically near the pharmacy. You can also find them at Walgreens. Here they are on Amazon for $8.21:

http://www.amazon.com/OPTX-20-Stick-On-Bifocals-1-50/dp/B000W7CMW0/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1388728395&sr=8-1&keywords=stick-on+reading+lenses

They are soft so you can even cut them into thinner strips if you want. Makes easy to read the LCD screen as well as the GPS.

If you want to pay more try this link. But it also gives more information than the Amazon link:

http://optx2020.com/p-38-hydrotac-stick-on-bifocal-2-pair-offer.aspx?gclid=COmvkZ-o4bsCFcsRMwodjRAArg

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #82 on: January 02, 2014, 11:43:44 PM »
Have you tried these already ??

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #83 on: January 02, 2014, 11:52:23 PM »
Have you tried these already ??

Definitely. I used to have some prescription goggles for riding the bike but they were not bifocals. I used these stick on lenses to be able to read the GPS and they work great. I've since gotten new prescription goggles that are bifocals and I don't need them for that anymore but still use them in my SCUBA mask. They do come off from time to time in the mask but they just sit in the water at the bottom and I just re-attach for the next dive. The don't come off at all in dry goggles or sun glasses. You can get them in any power you need. In fact the optx2020.com deal is for 2 sets for $30 and can be different powers.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #84 on: January 03, 2014, 05:45:01 AM »
Definitely. I used to have some prescription goggles

But you haven't tried on a helmet yet, I am assuming.  I suppose it should be similar, but the distance between your eye and the lens will be much further than with glasses or goggles.  As Brian says, that will change the focal length a lot (and I would guess one would need a much less powerful lens).  Looks like they don't come any weaker than +1.25 diopter, though...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mike-s4

« Reply #85 on: January 03, 2014, 07:19:23 AM »
I don't want to sound like an unwashed heathen, but does anyone just take their automotive GPS and Velcro it to a bracket?  I know it would not work in the rain, but otherwise for us cheapskates, is it an option people use?

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=7983.msg96385#msg96385

nuvi 760 with ball mount on the glove box door. Pop it off when it's raining. 90,000 kilometers. No problems.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #86 on: January 03, 2014, 09:18:43 AM »
+1.25 diopter is actually quite weak. I am wearing those now looking at the screen and they work well for me at about.... (had to get measuring device) 30 inches or so. As I move them away from my face, they actually focus for me all the way to about 10" from the monitor so the useful range is really huge. I think I am willing to try one of these fellas in 1.25 on my helmet visor.

So again, where in WalMart do we get these things? Sporting goods? What are they sold to be used in / on? There is not a motorcycle section so it can't be there..... :-)

Brian

But you haven't tried on a helmet yet, I am assuming.  I suppose it should be similar, but the distance between your eye and the lens will be much further than with glasses or goggles.  As Brian says, that will change the focal length a lot (and I would guess one would need a much less powerful lens).  Looks like they don't come any weaker than +1.25 diopter, though...
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Broz

« Reply #87 on: January 04, 2014, 08:11:17 AM »
Broz, I get it now ! I'm slow on the uptake when I'm working midnights haha
I actually have a pair of SMH10s and the dedicated Bell helmets to mount them in.  As we are under several feet of snow up here I haven't played with them yet.  My understanding was that they only pair with those high end waterproof M/C GPS units though.  I've got an iPhone 5 that I was hoping to blue tooth up to them. Do you know if I can use a Garmin 3590 Nuvi and get them all talking to each other somehow.  Remember please I'm absolutely illiterate when it comes to blue tooth and electronics
Dan
Canada-Dan
I don't know if that particular GPS u it will pair with the SMH10 but I am certain if it has a audio out jack ( for plugging in headphone) you could pair it if you buy the Sena SR10. You would plug the supplied cord from Sena SR-10 to the audio out jack on the GPS. You pair the SR10 with the SMH10 and bingo, you have turn by turn in your helmet. The SR10 has 2 audio-in jacks plus the cord for handheld radios  (cord sold separately for specific radio brand one or two pin) and the push to talk button that straps to grips.

I prefer not to pair my GPS straight to the helmet Bluetooth (SMH10) but instead using the SR10. I do that so I can have more devices paired radar/ GPS/ Motorola (all thru SR10) and iPhone and (phone and music) thru SMH10. The key is using what they call "multi-point pairing". I do not want phone calls going thru the Zumo. Often when I'm ridding around town I don't even have my GPS on the bike but the SMH10 is always on my helmet so I can always have music & phone handy.   Sorry for the long answer but the stuff is complicated and I wanted to fully explain what you can do with the devices.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2014, 08:42:31 AM by Broz »
Semper Fi
Broz
2012 C-14.  Black

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #88 on: January 04, 2014, 08:22:57 PM »
The SR10 from Sena seems quite the product. I just read up a bit and watched several video reviews.  I'd really like to avoid all that still if I can.  I'm trying to find a GPS that will Bluetooth up with my iPhone 5 and meet my needs.  I'm pretty sure that when guys link the GPS to the phone the. He phone to the Sena SmH10 it's works that the GPS talks through the phone to the GPS.  Or do I have it all ass back words ? Likely the case. 
It's tough to find a newer quality GPS that has a headphone jack still
Dan

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #89 on: January 04, 2014, 11:02:52 PM »
Thanks Stephen.  That aqua box appears to be the way to go.  It looks like you get to use your auto GPS on the bike with virtually no disadvantages.  I'm leaning towards the Nuvi 3590 or the 3597.  Just trying to figure out the difference other than the $75 difference in price
Dan

Do note: i never park the bike with the GPS Screen in direct sunlight. I put a beanie over it to protect the screen.

I dont know that the auto versions with bluetooth will allow the directions to go through the BT FYI. The salesman that sold me mine said it was more to have the GPS act like a handsfree device for a phone... Like the speakerphone button works wonderfully for... Lol. He may have been wrong, but it doesnt really matter to me. YMMV.

Long story short, do your research on devices, look up the demensions on mine if you want to use the aqua box, and make sure the one you order is similar.  Also, the aquabox WILL NOT work with and iphone/ android style touchscreen. It has to have the type where you push the top layer of the screen onto a second layer (oldschool touchscreen style)
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline Bill_P

« Reply #90 on: January 05, 2014, 12:44:58 AM »
I use a app called CoPilot.  A very nice GPS App.  It is available for both Apple and Android.   It only uses GPS signals. ie....NO data is used.   Less than $10.  Cheap, right in the middle of my price range.  So in the end my phone is a GPS / Music player and phone which is all bluetoothed.  I use a SlipGrip phone holder on a RAM Mount. 
This is the best / most cost effective solution I have found.

Thanks for the info on the stick on readers.  Thats going to be helpful.

Offline swojo95

« Reply #91 on: January 05, 2014, 08:24:30 AM »
I use a app called CoPilot.  A very nice GPS App.  It is available for both Apple and Android.   It only uses GPS signals. ie....NO data is used.   Less than $10.  Cheap, right in the middle of my price range.  So in the end my phone is a GPS / Music player and phone which is all bluetoothed.  I use a SlipGrip phone holder on a RAM Mount. 
This is the best / most cost effective solution I have found.

Thanks for the info on the stick on readers.  Thats going to be helpful.

I also use the CoPilot app with my Galaxy Note 3 along with a Sena bluetooth headset and it is great, no wires to mess with and I just grab my phone out of the mount when I park anywhere.  I use it for everything, gps, streaming music and talk radio, mp3, weather reports (live radar), and of course making and recieving calls. I also use a free program, ITN Converter, on my laptop at home to plan trips as it allows me to save them in the right format to use with the CoPilot app. The ITN Converter program aslo lets you take other trips saved in other formats, Garmin, Tom Tom, etc., and save them for use in the CoPilot app.  This is very useful when going on group ride events where people have submitted various ride routes.  I love having the GPS app on my phone as it allows for use whenever I am travelling in any of my vehicles. As Bill_P said, it doesn't need a data connection to work, although there are added features when you do have a data connection like the search function. I got the app for $7.99 when it was on sale and have been using it the past year. I also use an app called Car Home Ultra on my phone and it gives me one touch access to music, GPS, etc.  The Galaxy Note 3 is nice also in that it has a "glove" mode for the screen sensitivity so it works well even with leather gloves on. The other advantage is the screen is huge and is larger than most GPS screens.

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #92 on: January 05, 2014, 09:09:13 AM »
I've never heard of the CoPilot App before 2 days ago but you've really got me thinking now.  I've been researching CoPilot aggressively now and it really seems like a viable option.  Especially given the simplicity of having everything in one single unit as you just described. 
The GPS unit that I'm entertaining is the Garmin 3597.  Now without question a new flag ship GPS unit such as the 3597 is going to perform beautifully and do a few things that no phone can touch, but it seems that the simplicity of the CoPilot App within the phone is THE draw.  I haven't seen anyone talking about the software compatibility re: trip planning and then down loading the trip to the App.  A friend has one of the near $1000 dedicated M/C GPS units and brags of his ability to plan a trip on his IPad, then download the trip plan into his GPS.  I'd be interested in hearing more about this feature.  My trip, still in the plans phase will start in Ontario Canada and take us out to Colorado, down through Utah and Arizona and back up through New Mexico and back home over about 3 1/2 weeks.  It will be a complicated trip to plan out and the proper software will go a long way in making this an easier task.
Thank you for this input. It is much appreciated.
Dan

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #93 on: January 05, 2014, 10:02:02 AM »
That is the way I normally use my GPSs- route the trip on a PC, then drop the route into a GPS. You do not need an expensive GPS to do this with either as almost all current and most previous model vehicle GPS devices accept routes.

Unfortunately I cannot address the IPad directly as I do not have one or use one. As I said, I use a PC and one of several software packages.

You basically need a vehicle GPS, a PC, a software package or an on- line program (readily available, and either free or very inexpensive) and a cable. That's it. Plan out the route, send it to the GPS, turn on the GPS (in GPS mode) and verifty the route on the GPS.

I personally use Microsoft Streets and Trips as my preferred software but it is unfortunately not without a few lumps. Then again, all the software packages that I know of have said lumps and basically you have to choose which ones you want to avoid the most.

A really slick part of doing this (laying out the route then sending it to a GPS) is that you can share the route with others. That too has its own lumps but they are not bad enough that it is not worthwhile to do anyway. The routes can be sent to others via e-mail or posted online to share them with others.

And by the way, laying out a long route on the GPS itself is HORRIBLE in my experience. The screen is too small and the resolution too low to do anything but frustrate yourself.

There is a lot of information on how to do this around, and if you want I can elaborate a bit on the specific method. Again, I cannot address how to do it with an Ipad though.

Brian

I haven't seen anyone talking about the software compatibility re: trip planning and then down loading the trip to the App.  A friend has one of the near $1000 dedicated M/C GPS units and brags of his ability to plan a trip on his IPad, then download the trip plan into his GPS.  I'd be interested in hearing more about this feature.  My trip, still in the plans phase will start in Ontario Canada and take us out to Colorado, down through Utah and Arizona and back up through New Mexico and back home over about 3 1/2 weeks.  It will be a complicated trip to plan out and the proper software will go a long way in making this an easier task.
Thank you for this input. It is much appreciated.
Dan
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #94 on: January 05, 2014, 10:25:13 AM »
Maybe a good time to remind you that although I'm very patient and a quick student, my first computer was a Vic 20 ! For those who remember the Vic 20 and Commador 64 you understand how some of this sounds pretty Greek to me. 
My slow responses represent the time it takes me to look up the definitions to most of what is being discussed. It will take me long enough to become competent with whatever I decide to go with..... If I need to learn a few different systems before making my decision it'll take me longer than the 3 week trip itself ! Hahaha

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #95 on: January 05, 2014, 01:15:48 PM »
My first computer was an Atari 800 (the original, not the XL) so yes, I remember both of those well.

It does take some time to become familiar and comfortable with routing software and interfacing it with the GPS but there are many people around to help. Once you get going, there are plenty of tutorials online, quite a few video tutorials on Youtube and of course you can always ask here. There are also dedicated GPS forums that have some really well versed folks participating on them.

Best of luck.
Brian

Maybe a good time to remind you that although I'm very patient and a quick student, my first computer was a Vic 20 ! For those who remember the Vic 20 and Commador 64 you understand how some of this sounds pretty Greek to me. 
My slow responses represent the time it takes me to look up the definitions to most of what is being discussed. It will take me long enough to become competent with whatever I decide to go with..... If I need to learn a few different systems before making my decision it'll take me longer than the 3 week trip itself ! Hahaha

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #96 on: January 05, 2014, 03:31:38 PM »
My first computer was an Atari 800 (the original, not the XL) so yes, I remember both of those well.

Mine was a CoCo I :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #97 on: January 05, 2014, 03:46:09 PM »
I just downloaded the CoPilot App. It took a few hours to down all the maps and info I guess.  Unless I'm missing something it's no where near as good as a normal gps. 
Now having said that there are very cool features. I clicked on a thing that took me to me photos stored on my iPad. I clicked on a photo I took in my driveway and it took me straight to my house from the photo alone. Kinda cool.  Also the ability to see all the Wikipedia links for all the things and places on Wikipedia in any area could be useful.
But I say again it doesn't seem as good whatsoever as a normal full function dedicated gps unit
But having said those things I guess you still must keep in mind that it does have the route plotting features and like was said earlier the ability to share routes with a large group
« Last Edit: January 05, 2014, 06:09:07 PM by Canada-Dan »

Offline Bill_P

« Reply #98 on: January 05, 2014, 07:02:29 PM »
Canada-Dan, my apologizes if you think I miss lead you.  CoPilot does have lane recommendations and most of the features of most GPS's.  But at 1/100th of the cost and the ease of keeping up with just 1 electronic item is a BIG plus for me.
Many happy miles to ya!

I just downloaded the CoPilot App. It took a few hours to down all the maps and info I guess.  Unless I'm missing something it's no where near as good as a normal gps. 
Now having said that there are very cool features. I clicked on a thing that took me to me photos stored on my iPad. I clicked on a photo I took in my driveway and it took me straight to my house from the photo alone. Kinda cool.  Also the ability to see all the Wikipedia links for all the things and places on Wikipedia in any area could be useful.
But I say again it doesn't seem as good whatsoever as a normal full function dedicated gps unit
But having said those things I guess you still must keep in mind that it does have the route plotting features and like was said earlier the ability to share routes with a large group

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #99 on: January 05, 2014, 07:25:55 PM »
I <think> that all three major auto GPS producers (Magellan, Tom Tom and Garmin) make their software available for smart phones for something like a one- time fee of $50. As I am the last human on Earth that does not have a smart phone I have not actually tried it but others have said that the phone apps act exactly like the hardware device the companies sell; put another way, the Garmin software on a smart phone allows the phone to look and work exactly like a Garmin. ?? Like I said, all hearsay so take it with a grain of salt.

Brian

Canada-Dan, my apologizes if you think I miss lead you.  CoPilot does have lane recommendations and most of the features of most GPS's.  But at 1/100th of the cost and the ease of keeping up with just 1 electronic item is a BIG plus for me.
Many happy miles to ya!