Author Topic: My next GPS  (Read 41432 times)

Offline Canada-Dan

Re: My next GPS
« Reply #60 on: January 01, 2014, 09:53:00 PM »
I really like that magnifying lense idea. I watched the GPS city videos. A cool rig. 
And sorry to ruin your dreams of being richer than Oprah with the invention, but those little cling on lenses are already for SCUBA diving. We use them on the inside of the masks to see the tiny little screens of the dive computers. Although I've now found a computer nearly as big as my forearm haha and I can see the numbers easily. 

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #61 on: January 01, 2014, 09:56:41 PM »
I was doing a little Googlizing today and came across the new Garmin Nuvi
3597.  It looks pretty slick.  Designed along the same idea as the iPhone with a glass screen which is said to eliminate the problem with sun glare. 
It has a few interesting features. But because it's brand new it is still $250-$300 from what I found
Anyone looked into this GPS unit ?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #62 on: January 01, 2014, 10:00:21 PM »
Smart phone FTW. Use an app that doesn't require the phone has a cell signal.

amazes me folks still purchase Garmin products  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #63 on: January 01, 2014, 10:00:54 PM »
Broz, I don't know anything about the sm10 you speak of.  How does it work ?
I'm a little challenged when it comes to these new fangled gizmos.  To be honest I've never blue toothed anything to anything and I was hoping to find an easy answer.  I'm thinking if I need to run a single ear bud into my left ear just to hear the GPS I could live with that

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #64 on: January 01, 2014, 10:02:16 PM »
I take it you're not a fan of the iPhone ??  I like mine a lot. Makes me feel like a teenager hahaha

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #65 on: January 01, 2014, 10:10:40 PM »
Yep, and those for diving masks will work but they are a little pricey. The welder's lenses are cheap although they are not 'stick on' and are rigid (easy boys!) so they will not conform to a helmet visor. Sooner or later I am also going to have to do something because I can't get any further away from the Zumo to actually focus on it and still make out the data. :-(

Brian

I really like that magnifying lense idea. I watched the GPS city videos. A cool rig. 
And sorry to ruin your dreams of being richer than Oprah with the invention, but those little cling on lenses are already for SCUBA diving. We use them on the inside of the masks to see the tiny little screens of the dive computers. Although I've now found a computer nearly as big as my forearm haha and I can see the numbers easily.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
« Reply #66 on: January 01, 2014, 11:45:14 PM »
First off, I have a 2013, and it's my daily driver.

I use a ram aqua mount with a nuvi... 2557 and have had no issues so far. Its only been on the bike for only 700 miles so far tho (rain included). Completely waterproof (including the cable hole in the back when siliconed), has a lock hole and I lock it to a cable I made that goes around the bar riser.  The touch-screen is resistive, so it works with gloves, and with the aquabox flexi-screen thing.

Inside the case its supported by foam behind it which I carved out for the power cord, and I also added supplementary pieces of foam around the border of the unit. Wired a 12V socker under the seat to the key-hot accessory wires and so when I turn o the ignition, the GPS turns on. When I turn it off, the GPS detects that and shuts off. The foam I think greatly helps with the vibrations.

I dont feel the need to have audio as I also read speed limit data off the unit so I check it often. I also pay attention when I know I am reading directions from it.

Would a dedicated motorcycle one be nice? Sure. But when it comes to electronics, vibrations are vibrations. The best way to eliviate that is to reduce the viberaitons that get to the housing. Period.  The foam in the aqua box is good for that.  Plus, $200 (mount included) is a lot cheaper than $600!

I apologize for any typos... On my phone. (Not-pictured, my lock cable. Hadn't made it yet when the pix were taken.)
2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #67 on: January 02, 2014, 12:39:24 AM »
Thanks Stephen.  That aqua box appears to be the way to go.  It looks like you get to use your auto GPS on the bike with virtually no disadvantages.  I'm leaning towards the Nuvi 3590 or the 3597.  Just trying to figure out the difference other than the $75 difference in price
Dan

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #68 on: January 02, 2014, 05:36:46 AM »
I really like that magnifying lens idea.[...] those little cling on lenses are already for SCUBA diving.

If they are flexible and cling-on, then give us a link!  We want them!  If not, then they are not what I was talking about.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #69 on: January 02, 2014, 06:19:09 AM »
I have never used this product or company but: http://www.scuba.com/US/scuba-gear-54/028508/Dive-Optics-Stick-On-Optic-Lenses-for-Scuba-Dive-Masks.html?gclid=CPec57zJ37sCFYyTfgodWFEAVQ

Very common product. Works well. You can also buy just one and you can get them (it) cheaper although not cheap. Local dive shops carry them too.

You will need a much lower diopter lens than you would be normal reading glasses use. It might be best to try out several diopters at a dollar store or similar to figure out just what you need to focus on the GPS on the bike. Then buy that diopter stick on lens if that is what you want.

Brian

If they are flexible and cling-on, then give us a link!  We want them!  If not, then they are not what I was talking about.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #70 on: January 02, 2014, 09:34:47 AM »
I've used a similar product from Walmart. I've used them on both SCUBA masks as well as sunglasses and they work well.

I have never used this product or company but: http://www.scuba.com/US/scuba-gear-54/028508/Dive-Optics-Stick-On-Optic-Lenses-for-Scuba-Dive-Masks.html?gclid=CPec57zJ37sCFYyTfgodWFEAVQ

Very common product. Works well. You can also buy just one and you can get them (it) cheaper although not cheap. Local dive shops carry them too.

You will need a much lower diopter lens than you would be normal reading glasses use. It might be best to try out several diopters at a dollar store or similar to figure out just what you need to focus on the GPS on the bike. Then buy that diopter stick on lens if that is what you want.

Brian

Offline Broz

« Reply #71 on: January 02, 2014, 02:38:45 PM »
Broz, I don't know anything about the sm10 you speak of.  How does it work ?
I'm a little challenged when it comes to these new fangled gizmos.  To be honest I've never blue toothed anything to anything and I was hoping to find an easy answer.  I'm thinking if I need to run a single ear bud into my left ear just to hear the GPS I could live with that
Go to Sena.com and check out the SMH10 & SR10
The 1st one is Bluetooth for motorcycle helmet. Comes with left and right speakers that are thin and mount inside helmet and has clamp device w boom mic. It provides excellent Bluetooth connection. People don't believe I'm riding my motorcycle if I choose to take a call.  The SR10 is another Bluetooth device that works in conjunction with the SMH10 for devices that do not have Bluetooth capability but have audio output jacks like exist on a radar detector or GPS unit. In addition to that you can also plug in a Motorola type walkie talkie for bike to bike communication. It comes w/ a small grip mounted push to talk button for the walkie talkie business.   All in all it's a lot of electronics but when you ride with the same group of guys and like B2B comm it's ideal. But knowing I will not miss my GPS turn by turn or radar alerts is really nice.   If you ride 2 up or are riding with someone that also has the Sena Bluetooth (SMH10) you can pair the devices up to 4 I think, and have communications up to about 1000 yards.  It's very clear and beats the Motorala hands down. You can stream music now with their latest software update to more than 1 device good for two up riding.  Both units are weatherproof.
Semper Fi
Broz
2012 C-14.  Black

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #72 on: January 02, 2014, 03:02:00 PM »
Well that has to be a better value than the dive shop! Where in WallyWorld do you find them? Thanks for passing that along for all of us suffering from 'long arm' disease :-)

Brian

I've used a similar product from Walmart. I've used them on both SCUBA masks as well as sunglasses and they work well.

Offline rhhall

• Arena
  • I'm your huckleberry
« Reply #73 on: January 02, 2014, 04:23:41 PM »

+1 8)
rick
08 Connie ABS(totaled)
14 Connie

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #74 on: January 02, 2014, 05:29:18 PM »

amazes me folks still purchase Garmin products  ;D

I find that an actual GPS still works better than the smart phone option. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #75 on: January 02, 2014, 06:16:13 PM »

Yeah you're right but I'm on the opposit end.  My Garmin maps are so far behind my smartphone its crazy.  Matter of fact Garmin is the worst for the rural areas I try to go.

And I have yet to figure out how to play pandora/netflix/youtube  from my Garmin products 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Cuda

« Reply #76 on: January 02, 2014, 06:47:49 PM »

And they ALL SCREW UP

Just bought a new Tom Tom and It had issues on my Christmas NY trip,
I got it  because my Garmin PISSED me off in Miami a few weeks ago :thumbdown
Not sure how long It's going to take for them to get it right.
The new TT say's the road I live on is a 55 mph zone when It's a 45mph ?
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #77 on: January 02, 2014, 09:30:16 PM »
I have never used this product or company but: http://www.scuba.com/US/scuba-gear-54/028508/Dive-Optics-Stick-On-Optic-Lenses-for-Scuba-Dive-Masks.html?gclid=CPec57zJ37sCFYyTfgodWFEAVQBrian

OK, that is EXACTLY what I am talking about.  Incredibly neat.  But crazy expensive too!  I bet one is all that is needed- just for the dominate eye.

Other post-  Walmart?  Really?  Want!

How about these?   http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RRTDJO/ref=asc_df_B001RRTDJO2912094?tag=thefind0053396-20&creative=395261&creativeASIN=B001RRTDJO&linkCode=asn
or these http://www.amazon.com/OPTX-20-Stick-On-Bifocals-1-50/dp/B000W7CMW0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hpc_2

MUCH cheaper.  My search-fu is working better tonight
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Canada-Dan

« Reply #78 on: January 02, 2014, 10:00:23 PM »
Broz, I get it now ! I'm slow on the uptake when I'm working midnights haha
I actually have a pair of SMH10s and the dedicated Bell helmets to mount them in.  As we are under several feet of snow up here I haven't played with them yet.  My understanding was that they only pair with those high end waterproof M/C GPS units though.  I've got an iPhone 5 that I was hoping to blue tooth up to them. Do you know if I can use a Garmin 3590 Nuvi and get them all talking to each other somehow.  Remember please I'm absolutely illiterate when it comes to blue tooth and electronics
Dan

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #79 on: January 02, 2014, 10:01:18 PM »
They look like the diver mask type, more or less. Just be careful about the diopter- you will want to fine the best lens for the distance between your eye(s), the visor and the GPS. I would suggest the Dollar Store or similar and buy a couple of pair in different diopters to check which ones work best. They are only around a dollar a pair, but they will allow you to choose the best lens for your use. Even at $15 apiece, you don't want to guess 4,5 times to get a lens that works.

Brian

OK, that is EXACTLY what I am talking about.  Incredibly neat.  But crazy expensive too!  I bet one is all that is needed- just for the dominate eye.

Other post-  Walmart?  Really?  Want!

How about these?   http://www.amazon.com/dp/B001RRTDJO/ref=asc_df_B001RRTDJO2912094?tag=thefind0053396-20&creative=395261&creativeASIN=B001RRTDJO&linkCode=asn
or these http://www.amazon.com/OPTX-20-Stick-On-Bifocals-1-50/dp/B000W7CMW0/ref=pd_sim_sbs_hpc_2

MUCH cheaper.  My search-fu is working better tonight