Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 293514 times)

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #300 on: April 09, 2012, 05:06:31 PM »
I'm with Dalroo on this...  in fact, I'll let him line up the powder coater for me. :D
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #301 on: April 09, 2012, 07:01:51 PM »
This is almost exactly what i was describing. Color match these bars and they would blend in so much better then the straight bars. It would be only slightly weaker then the straight bar, but nothing that would be noticeably different in a drop application as long as a reasonable wall thickness is used.

Offline Bosco

• Arena
  • USA
« Reply #302 on: April 09, 2012, 07:05:51 PM »
1999 Concours Sold
2009 Concours ABS

Offline SANDPSYCHO

« Reply #303 on: April 09, 2012, 07:10:27 PM »
I would lower the bottom bar more like this and maybe alter the angle of the vertical bar just a bit. The vertical bar wouldn't need the bend altered just a slit rotation and notch to line up the bottom. My paint shop skills are a bit limited.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #304 on: April 09, 2012, 07:21:50 PM »
I would lower the bottom bar more like this and maybe alter the angle of the vertical bar just a bit. The vertical bar wouldn't need the bend altered just a slit rotation and notch to line up the bottom. My paint shop skills are a bit limited. 

Well, they already lowered the lower bar so it would meet at one point.  GordonM just grabbed the pre-fixed version for his photo editing (impressive photo editing at that).  The angle of the vertical bar was actually OK as it was sitting, I think your suggestion for tilting it a bit more is even better, but they do have to work with where the mount points are located.

I didn't realize just how much more I like the GordonM version until after I went back and looked at the other design a while, then looked back at the new slanted version.  The more I look at the slanted ones, the better it looks.  I hope it is not too late for this to be seriously considered...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Z71

« Reply #305 on: April 09, 2012, 07:38:57 PM »
I have not read all these pages, but would it be possible to design the bars so a set of highway foot pegs would bolt on to the bars?  Maybe someone already addressed that.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #306 on: April 09, 2012, 07:51:25 PM »
I have not read all these pages, but would it be possible to design the bars so a set of highway foot pegs would bolt on to the bars?  Maybe someone already addressed that.

It was already addressed.  You can add your own clamp-ons, if you desire.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Zulu

« Reply #307 on: April 09, 2012, 08:03:49 PM »
I also like GordonM design. But not sure if it would withstand a  strong impact.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #308 on: April 10, 2012, 04:53:07 AM »
My knees and shins are pretty darn close to that surface of the fairing, I worry about this newer design and leg room.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #309 on: April 10, 2012, 05:41:44 AM »
My knees and shins are pretty darn close to that surface of the fairing, I worry about this newer design and leg room.

A valid concern, but it looks like the rear bending up part is still outside the fairing and the parts coming off the rear mount are not much higher.  Of course, it is just a photo mockup.  My guess is that it could be made with the identical clearances.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #310 on: April 10, 2012, 08:03:58 AM »
Wow, it seems as though Gordons design is the most popular. It's definitely not too late to try a design like that out. I have two small concerns, though. One is strength and the other is where the bike is going to hit. Gordon appeared to move the lower bar up a bit which could be dangerous. This bike tends to hit fairly low and far back on the fairing, that's why we originally made the design with that lower horizontal bar closer to the ground.

I'll show this to Armando, though, and see if we can get one mocked up for you guys. Gordons design will require us to make an entirely new bar but that's okay. We should be able to crank it out by this afternoon. The owner of the bike is allowing us to keep it another week so we can continue to play around with designs as to exhaust as many options as possible. I'll keep you guys posted...
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline danl

« Reply #311 on: April 10, 2012, 08:19:16 AM »
I like the prior design.  Even though it didn't flow with the fairings, it seems less conspicuous because it's lower on the bike.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #312 on: April 10, 2012, 08:26:52 AM »
Ryan, pass our appreciation and many thanks to the owner of the bike for us.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #313 on: April 10, 2012, 09:03:10 AM »
I like the prior design.  Even though it didn't flow with the fairings, it seems less conspicuous because it's lower on the bike.
What he said.
Ryan, pass our appreciation and many thanks to the owner of the bike for us.
Him as well.  The last time we had a farkle thread this long is was about the AreaP Full exhaust system, that is a keeper, seems this is well.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #314 on: April 10, 2012, 09:10:07 AM »

I personally preferred the prior design as well but a few people expressed interest in Gordons version so I think we'll work a set up like his just to see what it looks like on the bike. It can never hurt to try! Honestly, this bar is so minimal that when it's finished it'll disappear into the fairings anyhow. If, once we have Gordons design worked up, we decide we don't like it we can always revert back to the prior design.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #315 on: April 10, 2012, 09:14:59 AM »
What would it take in the way of a bribe to weld up a set of your last design, pack em up and send my way, raw of course for fitment onto an '08.  The fairing is differant and I think Gordons design may have the opposite effect on '08/9s.  I'd make it a priority for this weekend.  Pics would be posted by Sunday.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #316 on: April 10, 2012, 09:25:18 AM »
What would it take in the way of a bribe to weld up a set of your last design, pack em up and send my way, raw of course for fitment onto an '08.  The fairing is differant and I think Gordons design may have the opposite effect on '08/9s.  I'd make it a priority for this weekend.  Pics would be posted by Sunday.

Well, as of right now, we only have that one set of the last design so unfortunately I wouldn't be able to send it to you because we'll need it to make a jig if that's the design we settle on. If you'd like to be a guinea pig for us for a 2008-2009 I can certainly make note of it and message you when we're ready to have the bar tested on an '08-'09. How does that sound, Pappy?

Son of Pappy

« Reply #317 on: April 10, 2012, 09:27:37 AM »
Absolutely Ryan.  I'll PM ya my addy and email addy.

Offline GordonM

« Reply #318 on: April 10, 2012, 11:31:51 AM »
I hope that I am not creating controversy with this project.  I am mainly trying to throw out some possibilities to improve the appearance.  I am not the expert on the protection and fall down characteristics other than knowing where the Connie hit the ground with the current MC Enterprises crash bars.  I had my doubts over moving the contact point up when the bars where rotated to align with the vane angle.  The lower front attachment point creates alot of the problems. 

Here is another approach which lowers the contact back down again although it is not a horizontal bar to contact the ground and it complicates the lower front attachment point and I am not sure about all of the welding involved and the strength of this joint.  But it does smooth out the look where the bars interesect the attachment boss.  Photoshop allows you to try alot of ideas before building the parts.

I probably could have lived with the bar design when it had the single horizontal bar intersecting the angled front mount bar, but when the second horizontal bar was added it  was just too many horizontal lines conflicting with the angled vanes of the fairing.

Gordon

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #319 on: April 10, 2012, 11:54:29 AM »
The evolution of the Canyon Cages
I had to put all of these pictures on one page to put them into perspective.

Ryan's hot legs

I like both 9 & 10, but I am for the one that offers the most protection in a drop. Priority number #1 me and my bike, #2 looks.

Gordon has some MAD Photoshop skills.