Author Topic: Fuel Economy assistance mode  (Read 38747 times)

Offline Mister Tee

Re: Fuel Economy assistance mode
« Reply #60 on: September 11, 2012, 01:55:42 PM »
+1
Although, I haven't really paid attention regarding increased vibrations. I'll pay attention to that next time I'm slabbing it.

Is 80 mph over the throttle or rpm limits that over-ride ECO? I didn't think that was fast enough.

Neither, it's speed.  But yes there are throttle and RPM overrides too but I don't know exactly what the ranges are.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #61 on: September 11, 2012, 07:38:19 PM »
Neither, it's speed.  But yes there are throttle and RPM overrides too but I don't know exactly what the ranges are.

Ok, you've made me look this up again. ECO mode is active when:

1. RPM is less that 6,000
2. Throttle position is less than 30%
3. Speed is less than 80 mph. (My manual says 152 mph, but that's a misprint. The Kawi website says 80.)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Mad River Marc

• The Kipass shall inherit the earth
« Reply #62 on: September 11, 2012, 07:45:38 PM »
152 would have to be a misprint as the 2010+ I believe is speed governed to 150 tops :)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #63 on: September 11, 2012, 08:22:19 PM »
152 would have to be a misprint as the 2010+ I believe is speed governed to 150 tops :)

I believe that the agreed upon limit is 250 kph, so whatever mph that calculates to (155+/-)?

I can attest that my 2011 did indeed go over 150 mph per GPS (over 160 on the speedo) at least once. I just won't say who was driving it at the time. 8)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline Kinetic1

• I really do have the best wife EVER! 2013 Tuono
« Reply #64 on: September 12, 2012, 04:25:40 AM »
The "gentlemans agreement" if you will among the manufacturers is 186 MPH. I don't think we need to worry about though. To get that kind of speed out of a Connie would require massive amounts of extra thrust........like a turbo.
No, really, she is the best and I can prove it...

Connie has been sold. Replaced with 2013 Aprilia Tuono V4 APRC

Offline Conrad

« Reply #65 on: September 12, 2012, 04:40:09 AM »
The "gentlemans agreement" if you will among the manufacturers is 186 MPH. I don't think we need to worry about though. To get that kind of speed out of a Connie would require massive amounts of extra thrust........like a turbo.

Or a Silverdammit.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #66 on: September 12, 2012, 04:47:59 AM »
 ;D
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #67 on: September 12, 2012, 11:13:26 AM »

I thought that I had read somewhere that they had more recently agreed to 250 kph on some bikes, but yes, the original agreement was 186 mph (actually 300 kph).

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #68 on: August 23, 2014, 12:15:18 PM »

Ok, you've made me look this up again. ECO mode is active when:

1. RPM is less that 6,000
2. Throttle position is less than 30%
3. Speed is less than 80 mph. (My manual says 152 mph, but that's a misprint. The Kawi website says 80.)

Actually, that is not what the manual says.  It doesn't say it is an override to the FEAM (what you/we are calling ECO Mode) it says those have to be true before you can turn on the mode.

From the manual (both 2010 and 2013): " Fuel economy assistance mode can be activated[...] when rpm is less than 6 000, throttle position is less than 30 percent and speed is less than 152 mph. "   It could be a translation error, but it doesn't say the system will switch off when those conditions are not true, just that you can't "activate" the mode.  I have never used FEAM before, although I plan to at some point just to see what it does.

So some pending questions that haven't yet been answered (that I can find) would be:

* Is the FEAM map an Eco map across the whole power/throttle/rpm range? Or is it just "lean" for the part of the map that represents cruising (low throttle, low RPM)?
* While FEAM is turned on, does it switch off automatically under certain conditions?
* If so, what are the exact conditions?
* If so, does it turn back on automatically under other conditions?
* If so, does that mean the manual is incorrect?
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #69 on: August 23, 2014, 01:26:02 PM »
You should ask Mr. Guhl.

AlbertaDoug

« Reply #70 on: August 23, 2014, 11:12:04 PM »
Actually, that is not what the manual says.  It doesn't say it is an override to the FEAM (what you/we are calling ECO Mode) it says those have to be true before you can turn on the mode.

From the manual (both 2010 and 2013): " Fuel economy assistance mode can be activated[...] when rpm is less than 6 000, throttle position is less than 30 percent and speed is less than 152 mph. "   It could be a translation error, but it doesn't say the system will switch off when those conditions are not true, just that you can't "activate" the mode.  I have never used FEAM before, although I plan to at some point just to see what it does.

So some pending questions that haven't yet been answered (that I can find) would be:

* Is the FEAM map an Eco map across the whole power/throttle/rpm range? Or is it just "lean" for the part of the map that represents cruising (low throttle, low RPM)?    (unknown to me)
* While FEAM is turned on, does it switch off automatically under certain conditions?   

2014 -- turned ECO on the day I picked it up and haven't turned it off yet(haven't had to engage it again it comes on automatically now). Have seen the logo on at 4500rpm (close to 160kph, as most of you would know ;)!!) in top gear, so it seems to work above 80mph.
ECO logo shuts off above 6000rpm then reappears below 6000rpm as well it disappears when the throttle is twisted above half regardless of RPM.
Will try switching it off on my next rip to the Rockies, because I have noticed a slight throttle blip in aggressive riding with the ECO function on. 

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #71 on: August 24, 2014, 06:15:26 AM »
I don't turn the ECO mode on until I have pulled out onto the street and am in 3rd gear.  I hold the throttle steady and engage it and immediately feel an increase in speed.

Besides factory cruise control, I wish Kawasaki would make one of the dash display options a large LED speedometer.  It is hard to maintain "in town" speeds and takes more than a quick glance to read that low on the speedo.  My wife's car has this feature and it is very convenient.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #72 on: August 24, 2014, 07:36:13 AM »

* Is the FEAM map an Eco map across the whole power/throttle/rpm range? Or is it just "lean" for the part of the map that represents cruising (low throttle, low RPM)?

What part of the manual are you guys saying might be incorrect? I don't see any errors in my 2010 manual...unless I'm missing something?

Yes, there is a completely different set of maps for "FEAM" ECO mode. I can post up the maps for both later on today if you guys would like to compare them? I don't remember if the ignition and STP maps are different for ECO mode...I'll have to check. I will advise.

I think there might be some confusion here between the "ECO Riding Range" and the actual "ECO mode". There are two different "ECO" logos that will show up on the screen. If the ECO riding range logo shows up on your screen, it does not mean that you are in the ECO Mode.

There is only one way to get the bike into the "FEAM" ECO Mode...you have to turn it on with the switch on the LH controls. It does not come back on automatically. It turns off when you shut the bike off, and you have to turn it on again when you start the bike again. So, if you're on a trip or whatever, you will have to re-engage the ECO mode after every fuel stop...or any stop where the bike is turned off.

There is also an ECO riding range...this will pop up on the screen even in normal mode, as long as you're riding the bike in an economical manner (determined by the FI ECU). It will pop on and off depending on RPM and throttle position. I haven't paid too much attention as to when it actually goes on and off...but it does shut off somewhere around 3500 RPM/80 MPH or so? I forget exactly where, but I rarely ever see it as I'm usually riding at 3800-4000 RPM when on the highway, and over 80 MPH.

I've tried the ECO mode on a couple trips and in my experience it made no difference in MPG at all. However, I was probably running at 4000 RPM in 6th gear all day, or for a couple days. I think for it to make any appreciable difference, you would have to be riding at 3500 RPM or less.
Just speculating of course, because I've read reports of other C14 owners seeing significant increases in MPG. I personally have not.

I'll take a look at the ECO mode map later today and see how much difference there is and in what ranges.

Cheers,
Rem 8)

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #73 on: August 24, 2014, 07:59:29 AM »

2014 -- turned ECO on the day I picked it up and haven't turned it off yet(haven't had to engage it again it comes on automatically now). Have seen the logo on at 4500rpm (close to 160kph, as most of you would know ;)!!) in top gear, so it seems to work above 80mph.
ECO logo shuts off above 6000rpm then reappears below 6000rpm as well it disappears when the throttle is twisted above half regardless of RPM.
Will try switching it off on my next rip to the Rockies, because I have noticed a slight throttle blip in aggressive riding with the ECO function on.

Maybe something changed on the 2011-up models, but my 2010 does not stay in ECO Mode. It has to be re-engaged every time you turn the bike on.
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Dan Forker

« Reply #74 on: August 24, 2014, 08:22:40 AM »

My 2012 is the same as Rembrant's 2010. I have to re-engage eco mode each time I start the bike. It goes to std mode each time the bike is turned off.

Fork

Offline tomp

« Reply #75 on: August 24, 2014, 09:33:18 AM »
I've searched everywhere on my 08, and I guess that Kawi forgot to install an eco button on mine. Wish they had started out with the eco mode on Gen I models. Guess you can't have everything.   Best I have been able to get is 42.3 MPG (US), average. 
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2014, 09:34:51 AM »
What part of the manual are you guys saying might be incorrect? I don't see any errors in my 2010 manual...unless I'm missing something?

I am saying the manual might be incorrect if people claim FEAM shuts off automatically and comes back simply because the manual doesn't say it can do that.

Yes, there is a completely different set of maps for "FEAM" ECO mode.

I know there are two different maps, but I don't know exactly how they differ

I can post up the maps for both later on today if you guys would like to compare them? I don't remember if the ignition and STP maps are different for ECO mode...I'll have to check. I will advise.

That would be neat.  Not sure if I would know what they mean, exactly, but someone might.

I think there might be some confusion here between the "ECO Riding Range" and the actual "ECO mode". There are two different "ECO" logos that will show up on the screen. If the ECO riding range logo shows up on your screen, it does not mean that you are in the ECO Mode.

I am not confused, but I think some people are.  It would have made more sense to word the two icons differently- most illogical what they chose to do.

There is only one way to get the bike into the "FEAM" ECO Mode...you have to turn it on with the switch on the LH controls. It does not come back on automatically. It turns off when you shut the bike off, and you have to turn it on again when you start the bike again.

Exactly what I thought... yet other people claim it stays on, which I didn't want to say was wrong (because I had not tried it before) but I have seen conflicting posts about it.

I'll take a look at the ECO mode map later today and see how much difference there is and in what ranges.

Coolness
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #77 on: August 24, 2014, 09:35:47 AM »
I've searched everywhere on my 08, and I guess that Kawi forgot to install an eco button on mine. Wish they had started out with the eco mode on Gen I models. Guess you can't have everything.   Best I have been able to get is 42.3 MPG (US), average.

The FEAM feature is only available on the 2nd gen (2010-2014) Concours 14.

Offline tomp

« Reply #78 on: August 24, 2014, 09:45:58 AM »
The FEAM feature is only available on the 2nd gen (2010-2014) Concours 14.

Yep, I was aware, just bitching that my bike didn't have the feature... Sunday morning satire.  tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #79 on: August 24, 2014, 09:47:20 AM »
Yep, I was aware, just bitching that my bike didn't have the feature...

Well, based on what most people think about it, you aren't missing much :)