Author Topic: Thoughts on riding pants (or 2-piece suit)  (Read 23083 times)

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
Re: Thoughts on riding pants (or 2-piece suit)
« Reply #40 on: October 27, 2011, 07:43:22 PM »
shyte...i thought they sell a waterproof liner as an option...it don't work?
Will

Offline Bagger

« Reply #41 on: October 27, 2011, 07:47:13 PM »
shyte...i thought they sell a waterproof liner as an option...it don't work?

Will ... just went back to the Motoport site.  Here's the link. 

Yes, they do have a waterproof liner .... I must have one that I tucked away in one of the freakin' closets, man.  But, it seems this will work.

http://motoport.com/_product_35442/Air_Mesh_Kevlar_Street_Jean

Actually ... THESE ARE THE PANTS I HAVE .....  and same/same windproof/water proof deal goes here, too, Will.

http://motoport.com/_product_35442/Air_Mesh_Kevlar_Pant

BTW, some of the photos make the pants look baggy as crap.  Mine fit more like the black pair you see front on and back.  The brown ones ... I don't know WTF those are doing there. 
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline roadie

« Reply #42 on: October 27, 2011, 08:11:54 PM »
think imma go with the 1000 denier cordura Ultra II...same pant just no kevlar and  200 friends cheaper.  Imma get with the liner, hip & sacrum pad, and suspenders (I'm old school like that).  Gotta do all the measurements and thinkin thats a sunday project.  Excited to get this done as my leather pants just don't fit in the knees right.  I'm a 32 inseam and they look like high waters so I always tuck them in my Commando boots.  plus the knee pads just rides too high.
Will

Offline Bagger

« Reply #43 on: October 27, 2011, 08:15:11 PM »
think imma go with the 1000 denier cordura Ultra II...same pant just no kevlar and  200 friends cheaper.  Imma get with the liner, hip & sacrum pad, and suspenders (I'm old school like that).  Gotta do all the measurements and thinkin thats a sunday project.  Excited to get this done as my leather pants just don't fit in the knees right.  I'm a 32 inseam and they look like high waters so I always tuck them in my Commando boots.  plus the knee pads just rides too high.

After measuring your particulars ... I'd spend some time on the phone as I believe these deals are "custom" ... and may not be refundable.  Altho, they may be modifiable. 

All the same, I'd talk to the folks at Motoport and make sure you have what you want for the price paid, m'friend.

Offline roadie

« Reply #44 on: October 27, 2011, 08:19:33 PM »
rog...thx bagger.
Will

Offline roadie

« Reply #45 on: October 30, 2011, 07:14:11 PM »
Took all my measurements and ordered the two piece Ultra II pant and Ultra II jacket...lessee how it goes.
Will

Offline roadie

« Reply #46 on: November 02, 2011, 05:42:59 PM »
Talked to MotoPort, Kevin says my gear should ship on Monday.  Hope it all fits, as I'm anxious to use and not send back for adjustments.  For that kind of coin, its gonna fit right before I cover my sorry ass with it.
Will

Offline Bagger

« Reply #47 on: November 02, 2011, 06:09:30 PM »
Talked to MotoPort, Kevin says my gear should ship on Monday.  Hope it all fits, as I'm anxious to use and not send back for adjustments.  For that kind of coin, its gonna fit right before I cover my sorry ass with it.

I get your position here, m'friend.  But, I've measured this and that ... and had 'personal communication' with folks at this and that site ... and still ... STILL .. the stuff that I could not try on was not fitting me when it arrived.  Had to send it back.

I do hope your experience is just perfect.  I do ...

But, I have to tell ya ... I have several Joe Rocket jackets.  All same/same size.  And, each is different from the next.  Arm holes different ... shoulder width different ... sleeve length different ... waist size different.

The point is ... these things are made in different countries.  Different factories in these countries.  Different sizing and designs.  I have this issue with New Balance 'sneakers'.

Sooooooooo .... I hope these hook up for you well, Will.  Keep us posted once they arrive.

Offline Bagger

« Reply #48 on: November 04, 2011, 02:55:07 PM »
I ordered ... and received a pair of Aerostich Roadcrafter pants (along with the upgraded armor). 

I really like it!  Tried it on and it fits great.  Sat around for an hour or so to get the "feel" of the pants.  I have a Roadcrafter jacket that I bought several years ago and wore little.  Found it too stiff and not warm enough for the temps i was riding.  But, I've found (now) that if you have a liner and a fleece shirt/1st layer it works well. 

And, it's not as stiff as I tho't.  I was not used to this kind of gear coming from the fabric jacket without armor crowd.  I'm going to give the Aerostich gear another try.  I'm going out tomorrow and see how it works.

I do think that Motoport (Cycleport) gear offers more protection IMO ... but, I like choices and the Aerostich stuff is pretty good as well.  Both are very pricey, tho.

Offline roadie

« Reply #49 on: November 04, 2011, 04:25:43 PM »
Cool!  I wonder why they don't upgrade to the 1000 denier.

Oh, on the motoport, do u have the quad or tri armour?  I was already way past my budget so I did not upgrade to quad. I did add the sacrum and hip pads. And a 3" hi viz yellow patch across the shoulders, plus zipper in back and Velcro suspenders. Feelin like a kid at Christmas. Now all I need is them damn sidi adventure boots. I gave my sidi onroad boots to my son. Really liked them but love my aero combat tours better. Quick zip and latch so I don't have to bed over to damn long. Old age is a bitch.
Will

Offline Bagger

« Reply #50 on: November 04, 2011, 05:50:25 PM »
I'm not sure.  Looked a minute ago, and the armor is blue as in the photog on the Motoport site.  I'm not sure they had quad armor in '07.  So, I can't give you a definite answer, Will.

Aerostich wants you to wear street clothes under their stuff.  Not sure if that increases the protection (a bit) or not, but I's suspect a bit more clothing would help abrasions.

The armor in Aerostich and Motoport are different.  Both seem to be temperature sensitive and require some break-in periods, too.

Maybe others with either Aerostich or Motoport can help out here.

Offline roadie

« Reply #51 on: November 15, 2011, 12:19:50 PM »
So finally got my MotoPort Ultra II 1000 Denier two piece and definitely loving it.  Couple points to summarize some key items that might interest anyone interested in purchasing:

1.  The material, although 1000 denier cordura, is super soft and NOT stiff.  I absolutley thought it would be heavier and firmer, but I guess NOT being coated with Polyurethane makes a difference.  Wearing full leathers for the last two years, I immediately noticed the weight being lifted off me wearing the Ultra II

2.  The reflective stripes added on the back and pant leg:  According to my son, I "shine" even during the day.  I used to wear a hi-viz vest, but no mas.

3.  The pockets are very ample, with very tough velco closures.

4.  Armour:  all over the damn place...quite amazed at how much your body it actually covers.  Hope I never have to test their ability...

5.  Measurements:  Absolutely take time to do ALL the measurements...twice...send Wayne some pictures of you wearing gear, and maybe even with just a T-shirt on so he can guage your body type.  Once I sent him pics, he had a whole new batch of measurements he wanted.  I'm glad we went through this drill, as without it, your gear ain't gonna fit.  For example, I needed a XXL jacket to fit my shoulders and chest, but he had to seriously drill it down on the sides so I wouldn't be swimming in the jacket.

6.  The pants have a serious elastic band around the back of the waist...will be good, as my weight fluctuates alot give or take 30 pounds (depending on how heavy I hit the brew and Cap'n Morgan and exercise or not :-)

7.  Liners:   Air flows rather nicely through it.  I wore last night riding home with no liners (there are two for the jacket...one for waterproofing and one for warmth...take your pic).  The pant and jacket liner can actually be worn standalone, which I actually find a neat option.  When I actually did wear the liners, I was starting to wonder what the hell I'm going to do with my Gerbing gear.  I fear I might not need it.

8.  Zippers...huge, i mean really robust.

9. Comfort:  Super comfortable.  Oddly enough, I even felt some heat on my legs now that there is no leather between me and the bike :-).

10.  Purchase experience:  Wayne and Motoport are great.  He gave me exactly what I asked for and we exchanged maybe 6 phone conversations through the process.  I'll buy from him again.

If anyone has any specific questions, or want to see some closer shots of this or that, lemme know...

Will

Offline Bagger

« Reply #52 on: November 15, 2011, 12:46:00 PM »
Excellent post, Will.  I was wondering if you got your stuff from Motoport and had tried it out.

I like my Motoport stuff, too.  Altho, different from yours.  Pretty heavy, too.  About as heavy as my old 30 year old HD leathers.

I've been alternating wearing the Motoport armored stuff with Aerostich's Roadcrafter jacket and pants.  I like both companies gear.  Excellent stuff, different each and altho, pricey .... well made and worth the money.  BTW, Aerostich is made in the USA ... Motoport in China.  But, both are very well made IMO.

I still use my Gerbing's jacket liner when the temp drops to 45 or lower.  My Motoport never felt all that warm .... it's the Kevlar perforated jacket ... even with the wind liner in it.  Plus, I have the Gerbing heated gloves in cold temps as well.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #53 on: November 15, 2011, 04:16:12 PM »
Great pics and nice gear, thanks for sharing Will!  :chugbeer:

Some of the pics look like your doing a sobriety test and the one looks like Tron!  8) ;) 

Offline roadie

« Reply #54 on: November 15, 2011, 06:14:45 PM »
Haha. I MAY have already had a few cap'n M's in t
Those pics but I'm takin the fifth (the fifth of cap'n m that is).
Will

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #55 on: November 15, 2011, 07:32:25 PM »

:rotflmao: :chugbeer:

Offline Bagger

« Reply #56 on: November 15, 2011, 07:35:34 PM »

Everytime I do that ... I end up with another vehicle in my garages.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #57 on: November 15, 2011, 08:28:48 PM »
Everytime I do that ... I end up with another vehicle in my garages.

Indeed, drinking and ebay is a bad combo...  :-[

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #58 on: November 15, 2011, 09:21:24 PM »

Indeed, drinking and ebay is a bad combo...  :-[

Last week I was still feeling the effects of the anesthesia from my surgery and came home and spent around $700 on ebay.  I woke up the next morning and my wife asked me what I bought and I didn't have the foggiest.  Not sure how I could remember my paypal password when I was still high as a kite.   ;D
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline roadie

« Reply #59 on: December 07, 2011, 05:14:11 AM »
FWIW, another data point to add to motoport gear.  I rode in pouring down pissing rain this morning to work on a bike with no fairing to speak of as far as wind protection....gear worked as advertised.  You see, the inner waterproof shell is actually a two piece suit in itself...which can be (but doesn't have to be) zipped into the outershell (the core gear).  I'm actually wearing the inner shell right now standalone, outershell off and drip drying, putzing around the office, drinking a cup of coffee before I shower and get changed into my suit and tie.  I digress:  I'm dry.  Outshell soaked through and through...but that's ok...inside of inner core, dry.  no leaks...2 hours hard rain (lots of accidents this morning...not me!! YEAH!).
Will