Author Topic: Thoughts on riding pants (or 2-piece suit)  (Read 23081 times)

Offline gonzosc1

Re: Thoughts on riding pants (or 2-piece suit)
« Reply #20 on: October 23, 2011, 07:20:59 PM »
I went to cycle gear and got a leather 2 piece Sedici

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/monza_leather_motorcycle_jacket/web1006295

http://www.cyclegear.com/eng/product/monza_leather_motorcycle_pants/web1006296

only down side I saw in the jacket was the lack of pockets if you need
them. it only has an inside lapel pocket but the zip out liner has cell phone and wallet pockets. but no pockets on the outside.
no pocket at all on the pants.  5 year warranty on both. bust a zipper take it back and get a new one!

Offline Ddfee

• Be the person your dog thinks you are
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2011, 05:10:15 PM »
For my 2 cents... I bought the transit suit from 'stich... Worth the cash, will protect you in a crash , keeps you dry in the rain. Did a 7500 mile trip this summer, suit was great... As stated you do get what you pay for.

Dave
2011 C14
2003 Honda GL 1800
2000 Honda Blackbird
IBA Member

Offline ridingfar

« Reply #22 on: October 26, 2011, 07:30:38 AM »
I like the MotoPort stuff....

Offline McJunkie

« Reply #23 on: October 26, 2011, 07:37:55 AM »
First Gear TPG

Offline roadie

• RIP:2009 ABS....Welcome 2015 Black
« Reply #24 on: October 26, 2011, 07:45:31 AM »
Do you own some?  I'm leaning heavily in this direction.

I like the MotoPort stuff....
Will

Offline roadie

« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2011, 07:46:35 AM »
The transit suit is awesome, would love too, but just can't afford it.  Do you have some pics of you wearing it?  I've only ever seen the magazine pic.

For my 2 cents... I bought the transit suit from 'stich... Worth the cash, will protect you in a crash , keeps you dry in the rain. Did a 7500 mile trip this summer, suit was great... As stated you do get what you pay for.

Dave
Will

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2011, 08:23:56 AM »
If I was cold blooded I would live somewhere I could wear full leathers atleast 6 months out of the year. Since that is out of the question, I will have to stick with textile or combo suits. I don't see myself spending $1,500.00 + for 2 months out of the year. I do wear the Olympia Stealth one piece now which I like. Is is what I consider minimal protection to my personal standards, so my search continues for decent hot weather gear. I prefer the one piece suits due to the ease of suiting up.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline roadie

« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2011, 08:29:56 AM »
i wear leather pretty much year round from below freezing to 105.  For me its all in the venting for summer and layering in Winter.  The leather joe Rocket Sonic 2.0 jacket has zip out panels under the arms that create quite a nice air through-flow.  Not to sure of venting options on Transit....so on second thought, might not work for me.
Will

Offline Bagger

« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2011, 06:51:32 PM »
I  have quite a bevy of riding jackets and pants.  My favorites are prolly not the best for protection in case of a crash.  But, let's hope that does not happen.

Have to admit, that after crashing my mountain bike 6 weeks ago ... with a broken right hand, nasty gash on my right pinky finger, several cracked ribs, deep tissue damage from the saddle crashing into my right thigh ... all this still hurts a great deal and my hand is not working well ... and lots of road rash, too.  (sigh ...)

Well, I'm back into my Motoport riding gear.  Kevlar jacket, and pants with lots of excellent armor everywhere.

I think Motoport makes the best stuff.  Pricey, tho.  And, not all that stylish either.  Did I say PRICEY?

I have Aerostich Darien jacket/pants, too.  This stuff will NEVER break in !  I've taken the armor out and tossed it into the dryer for hours with some sneakers to beat it up.  Nada.  It will be stiff as a mother for ever!  I don't like that.  But, I do wear it from time to time. 

My favorite stuff is Joe Rocket leather/synthetic ... I replaced the armor with better stuff ... and like the look (yellow/black), and it works in most weather conditions ... and in winter, I just toss a Gerbings jacket liner in and plug it the pants.  I ride to 25* or so if the roads are clear.  Frogg Toggs in the bags to worry about rain.

Most of the "good stuff" is not comfy, or spiffy.  But, they protect your sorry a$$ pretty well in case of a mishap. 

I guess you wear what you can afford and what you like ... or like the looks.  I rode for 20 years with just a leather jacket, dew rag, and fingerless gloves.  But, I looked kewl as hell, eh. 

Now, I even wear the helmet on the stationary bike in the basement ... just in case I fall off.
"I'm not a vigilante ... I'm just an undocumented border patrol agent."

Offline roadie

« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2011, 07:00:51 PM »
Bagger, your funny as hell. Great perspective. My wife actually has been riding the hell outta me to get the Kevlar motoport pants or their 1000 denier cordura. Can't believe I am hesitating. Imma finally bite the bullet this week and order. Thanks for all the great comments on this thread.
Will

Offline Bagger

« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2011, 07:20:33 PM »
Bagger, your funny as hell. Great perspective. My wife actually has been riding the hell outta me to get the Kevlar motoport pants or their 1000 denier cordura. Can't believe I am hesitating. Imma finally bite the bullet this week and order. Thanks for all the great comments on this thread.

Appreciate your 'slap on the back', m'friend.  But, believe me ... every time I have time on my hands ... I end up spending money.  Crikey !

At least this time it was pretty much marginal spending.  Pair of riding boots I'll be sending back, Baker Wing stuff for the Connie and the Wing (only a bit I'll be sending back), and some ammo ... which I will keep.

I have to tell you, tho ... as much as I like the Motoport stuff now ... I did not initially.  It was stiff (still is a bit), unstylish (a bit), custom made (in China), and expensive.  Can't try it on either.

I have difficulty getting my various gloves over the cuffs (which, IMO, are poorly designed for us that wear gloves).  Having them inside the cuffs is no better and many gloves (I have lots) don't work well either.  But, I manage.

If you are considering Motoport stuff ... call and talk to them for some time.  Make a list of your issues and concerns.  Even those I've mentioned here before you buy.  They will work with you and are eager to help you out.

Please do not think that I dislike Motoport gear .... it is the BEST!  But, with everything there are compromises.  And, compared with Aerostich ... I would choose Motoport.

I should have Kris take a photog of me in my gear.  I look like a cop from the future.  Sorta a larger version of Tom Cruise ... much larger.

Any questions regarding riding gear, give me a holler.  I have 2 closets full.  I may even sell some. 

Offline ljcorby

• COG#: 9359
« Reply #31 on: October 27, 2011, 07:08:38 AM »
Bagger, is there specific gear from Motoport that you would recommend?  My wife and I are interested in some two piece suits for more long distance riding.
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline Bagger

« Reply #32 on: October 27, 2011, 07:21:20 AM »
Bagger, is there specific gear from Motoport that you would recommend?  My wife and I are interested in some two piece suits for more long distance riding.

I purchased the Motoport gear 2-3 years ago ... along with an Aerostich Darien jacket.  I didn't ride with either set of gear much, because I wasn't used to wearing armored gear and found it stiff, bulky and heavy.  I was wearing just a nylon Wing jacket and jeans.

Since then, I've purchased several leather armored jackets from Joe Rocket and upgraded the armor.  Same with pants.  Some leather, some textile.  Armored.

Soooo ..... recently, when I went back to the Motoport stuff, it felt 'better' than I remembered.
Still not as comfy as the leather stuff, tho.

I'll have to look at my records as to what Motoport gear I have.  Their web site is not all that helpful.  As I recall ... I called them and spent some time talking to them about what I wante, colors, sizes, differences in gear, yada, yada.

The jacket is not 'solid' ... it's kevlar and works well in warmer temps, water/wind liner, too.

I'll look and see if I can post later.  But, I'd call them and chat.

Offline ljcorby

« Reply #33 on: October 27, 2011, 09:24:17 AM »
Thanks for the info.  Much appreciated.
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline Bagger

« Reply #34 on: October 27, 2011, 09:28:47 AM »
I'm on the Aerostich web site this morning .... looking at pants (like I need more?).  I may call them and talk about a couple products that I may be adding to the closet.

I may have to build another closet .... already have 2 closets for dedicated moto gear.  Yikes !

Offline Bagger

« Reply #35 on: October 27, 2011, 01:49:05 PM »
I just ordered an Aerostich Roadcrafter pants with the armor upgrade.

Should be here in a few days, and I'll give a review.

In the mean time, I'll check the Motoport stuff I have as far as which I have.  Web site is a bit confusing, but they are very helpful on the phone.

Offline ljcorby

« Reply #36 on: October 27, 2011, 02:28:26 PM »
Again, thank you.
10 Kawi Concours 14 ABS

Offline Bagger

« Reply #37 on: October 27, 2011, 06:30:53 PM »
OK ... I had dinner and then sifted through all the records I have to find what I had ordered from Motoport (was called Cycleport then) and Aerostich.

I have 2 pairs of Motoport pants ...
        --one is the Police Kevlar Pant which I paid $330 for in 2007
           this is the pants that I wear most often these days
        --the other is the Kevlar Street Jeans which were $300 back in 2007
           these are jean cut with belt loops/armor, but much heavier than jeans

I added a 13" zipper on the jeans (maybe the back to hook up the jacket?), a 30" zipper on the police pants (don't know what these are today) and upgraded to hip pads on the police deals.

The jacket is the Air Mesh Kevlar deal.  Can't find what I paid for it, but certainly less than today.  Like everything.

I have a black Motoport jacket with hi-viz yellow accent.  There is a photo here below the all yellow jacket that is shown.  The all black/yellow accent is quite nice IMO.  Looks good.

Had Kris take a photog and I'll post it later.  Getting her to do this is like pulling the proverbial molar .... Crikey!  I was going to pull on the pants, too.  Maybe tomorrow after I do some things she wants me to do around the hacienda.

Here's the Motoport link to the jacket ... notice the patch on the jacket says Cycleport. 

http://motoport.wsiefusion.net/_product_106903/Air_Mesh_Kevlar_Jacket

Look at the BLACK one below the main photo (the yellow is not my cup o'tea).

The Aerostich jacket is a Road Crafter version.  Longer than the Motoport, stiffer, too.  Kris took a photo of front and back of this jacket, too.  I'll try to post them all tomorrow along with my stats for comparison.

Hope this is helpful.

Offline roadie

« Reply #38 on: October 27, 2011, 07:14:46 PM »
sweet...can't wait to see them...I'm begrudgingly dragging myself to ordering the pants....just don't feel like laying down the cash (also known as friends)....  I like my friends...I greet each dollar bill as it migrates to my bank account but they never stay long.

but I guess daily riding justifies wearing some shyte that ain't gonna deliver in the clutch when I go down.
Will

Offline Bagger

« Reply #39 on: October 27, 2011, 07:24:40 PM »
sweet...can't wait to see them...I'm begrudgingly dragging myself to ordering the pants....just don't feel like laying down the cash (also known as friends)....  I like my friends...I greet each dollar bill as it migrates to my bank account but they never stay long.

but I guess daily riding justifies wearing some shyte that ain't gonna deliver in the clutch when I go down.

One thing, Will ... the Motoport pants are not water proof and I know you ride daily in sometimes crappy weather.  The Road Crafter stuff from Aerostich is 'water resistant'.  Kevlar (Motoport) will not hold water and will dry fast ... but, you will be wet underneath.  That's why I carry Frogg's Toggs with me if inappropriate weather is forecast.

I've not been in the rain with the Motoport, but I know they are not waterproof. 

Frogg's Toggs stuff is inexpensive, very light weight, breathable, unstylish, and works great.  I'd get some just to have some if I rode in any sort of climate where rain occurs.