Author Topic: What'd you do for your Connie today?  (Read 113282 times)

voileauciel

Re: What'd you do for your Connie today?
« Reply #240 on: September 11, 2011, 03:53:11 PM »
Had my first set of Avons installed today: 110/80-18 Storm 2 Ultra on the front and an Azaro rear. These really are all they're cracked up to be, but they also give the bike terrible headshake at ~40mph.

Looks like I'll be adjusting the steering head bearings this week...

Offline Outback_Jon

• Arena
« Reply #241 on: September 11, 2011, 05:36:21 PM »
I rode the hell out of my Conc today.  And yesterday.  And the day before.    ;D

I did replace my driving light switch yesterday.  The knob had vibrated off somewhere in VT when I went up to the National for the Meet & Greet.  I figure it has washed out into the Atlantic Ocean by now.

I was going to do an oil change, but after getting off the bike after 220+ miles today, I decided I didn't want to go out and wrench on it.  I'll probably get it done tomorrow.
"Outback Jon" Gould *** South Cairo, NY *** COG #9506 *** 2006 C10 "Blueline" *** CDA #0157

Offline tbunder

« Reply #242 on: September 12, 2011, 06:58:30 AM »
Had my first set of Avons installed today: 110/80-18 Storm 2 Ultra on the front and an Azaro rear. These really are all they're cracked up to be, but they also give the bike terrible headshake at ~40mph.

every time I read the Avon headshake claim I ask myself what one expects when they install a different sized tire on the oem rim than what Kawasaki installed and recommends for the rim, and expect it to be rock solid. it's a skinnier, taller tire so it's naturally gonna be more squirrely.

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #243 on: September 12, 2011, 10:52:09 AM »
every time I read the Avon headshake claim I ask myself what one expects when they install a different sized tire on the oem rim than what Kawasaki installed and recommends for the rim, and expect it to be rock solid. it's a skinnier, taller tire so it's naturally gonna be more squirrely.

Sorry to burst your bubble here but you are wrong in thinking that the "skinny" tire is the culprit with Avons and headshake as the Concours will headshake with any brand of tire......

The Dunlop K series 120/70-18 as used on the Concours was special made to fit the 3.0" rim and in fact only measures out at under 111.0 mm whereas when a 110/80 is mounted on the 3.0" rim it is in fact is just as wide if not a tad wider than the special made 120 is.

To which it is at best only 3 to 7 mm taller than the stocker and as those who have run other than stock sized tires on the Concours a taller front tire can be even more stable than a shorter one.

Given the info at hand when researched one will find that the 110/80 is a better choice than the 120/70 is simply due to rim width; you will not find a single tire maker that list the 3.0" as the prefered rim width other than Dunlop for the K series tire only.
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline CRocker

• Arena
« Reply #244 on: September 12, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
Got her all put back together (plastic, that is) after finding my oil leak and fixing it...Thanks to all those who have shared their knowledge on this forum!   Then went on a nice 120 mile ride in the mountains...on my way back down the mountain I was thinking about how much I love riding this bike when I was jolted back to reality...oncoming traffic flashing headlights...emergency traffic control by a guy in a reflective vest...orange cones restricting my lane...and, around the corner...the slew of emergency vehicles and EMTs working on the CBR rider...looks like he was coming up the canyon and low-sided in a 25mph right-hand corner...slid across the oncoming lane...and hit the armco pretty hard...I have to say...it didn't look good.

Anyway, I got back home just before dark...safe and sound.

My prayers go out to that young man, and his family...
'02 C-10

voileauciel

« Reply #245 on: September 13, 2011, 05:45:59 PM »
Tightened up the steering head bearings, no more wobble. Only took me 40k miles to finally fix that...

Offline DannyL

• PJF4x4
« Reply #246 on: September 13, 2011, 07:30:02 PM »

I hope they are too. I ordered mine today despite the parts guy pushing for the Pilot 2's he had real cheap, I passed based on the advice I read here.....

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
« Reply #247 on: September 15, 2011, 08:19:43 AM »
  • put on fleece top under all three layers of jacket/liner for the first time this season.  Departure temp 41F.  Winter gloves too (but I did not use the Heated Grips)
  • need to replace bulb in headlight as High beam burned out. Spare bulb in car, not bike.  :(
  • like the variable resistor mod on gas gauge. Replaced fixed 220 resistor two weeks ago. Now the needle hits E when Reserve needed.  Took 5 1/4 turns :)
  • listened to iPod music on way to work.  Blondie, Eurythmics, Enya, Moody Blues, etc.  Need to find new audiobook from Audible.com
  • waved to 6 riders, 3 responses, on I-94 going to work.  Fewer cycles in number riding in the colder weather.
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline bouts

« Reply #248 on: September 15, 2011, 06:49:30 PM »
Got it safetied, registered and insured in Alberta!  $393 a year for insurance here, vice $1600 in Manitoba!!  It passed the safety, no issues of course!

Offline Daytona_Mike

• Arena
« Reply #249 on: September 15, 2011, 07:47:44 PM »
Got it safetied, registered and insured in Alberta!  $393 a year for insurance here, vice $1600 in Manitoba!!  It passed the safety, no issues of course!
Wow, that is expensive. We are not required to have insurance  if we wear a helmet. I did buy medical and  PLPD anyway. It is $75 a year.
If you still have fuel in the tank, you are not lost yet
Most motorcycle problems are caused by the nut that connects the handlebars to the saddle

Offline Steve in Sunny Fla

• Shoodaben Engineering
« Reply #250 on: September 16, 2011, 05:26:01 AM »
Some big work on Shoodaben -
New Avon Storm front tire 110/80-18;
New Michelin PR3 rear tire170/60-17;
New 320mm Wave rotors;
New Murph dual headlight;
New fork gaiters;
Flush and refill fork oil;
Clean and repack steering stem bearings;
Clean and grease 4 wheel bearings;
Clean and grease speedo cable and drive;
Install rear brake pads;
Replace a dead bulb in the instrument cluster;
Change final drive oil;
Replace busted driveshaft coupler oring;
Replace front motor mount bolts to grade 8 bolts;
lots of cleaning!

I also designed a rubber isolated handlebar mount system, I'm waiting for it to come from the machine shop now. Hope to give it a test ride going to Barber Motorsports next month - Steve

Offline Uglydog56

• I'd rather be lucky than good.
« Reply #251 on: September 18, 2011, 12:37:35 AM »
Got rid of the crappy roadsmart on the front of my bike and shoehorned on the PR3.  I currently have a pr3 front and pr2 rear.  I needed a rear really really bad mid-trip and the local shop had the pr2 in stock.  These tires are amazazing.  With the luggage off and the suspension set on angry, this bike is about the best handling bike I've ever sat on.  I nudge the handlebars and it falls to just the right lean in the corner, and if I need a little more she just does it instinctively, and never tries to fall over, just steers around the pothole/slow car.

for tbunder, the 110/80 avon roadrider I was running on the stock front end measured 116mm.  Those numbers on the side are just a size like shoes - some run big, some run small.
Rick A. Cone
COG #9186
98 Connie, 76 CB400F

Offline bouts

« Reply #252 on: September 18, 2011, 04:20:47 PM »
Did some routine maintenance, then went on a 365 km ride, through small back roads, tree lined secondary roads, fast 4 lane highways, and back to the residence!  The best things to do to my 'Connie!!!!

Offline anycleavers

« Reply #253 on: September 21, 2011, 07:57:10 PM »
Some big work on Shoodaben -
New Avon Storm front tire 110/80-18;
New Michelin PR3 rear tire170/60-17;
New 320mm Wave rotors;
New Murph dual headlight;
New fork gaiters;
Flush and refill fork oil;
Clean and repack steering stem bearings;
Clean and grease 4 wheel bearings;
Clean and grease speedo cable and drive;
Install rear brake pads;
Replace a dead bulb in the instrument cluster;
Change final drive oil;
Replace busted driveshaft coupler oring;
Replace front motor mount bolts to grade 8 bolts;
lots of cleaning!
       :o

Here I was patting myself on the back for getting my brake fluid changed. I wish I had a tenth of the knowledge that some of you guys possess.
"Always take the long way home."

Offline Ron Dawg

• Arena
  • a/k/a ron203
« Reply #254 on: September 21, 2011, 08:16:20 PM »

"Here I was patting myself on the back for getting my brake fluid changed. I wish I had a tenth of the knowledge that some of you guys possess."

I KNOW that's right       :o
2014 C-14 Red

Offline T Cro ®

• Administrator
« Reply #255 on: September 21, 2011, 09:13:17 PM »
       :o

Here I was patting myself on the back for getting my brake fluid changed. I wish I had a tenth of the knowledge that some of you guys possess.

Steve's got some guy named Bubba workin in his shop dat he gets to do all his flunky work!  ;)
Tony P. Crochet
(SOLD) 01 Concours Winner of COG Most Modified in 2010

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #256 on: September 22, 2011, 05:46:22 AM »
New battery yesterday, and rode it to work today.  It was looking lonely and dejected when I would leave on the C14, so I brightened it's spirits.
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline co11ins

• kawasaki gtr 1990
« Reply #257 on: September 23, 2011, 08:02:13 AM »
Yesterday around trip of about 500miles, northern France. Visited a few ww11 museums then home
I am immortal............................................so far!!

Offline Silver Connie

« Reply #258 on: September 23, 2011, 12:06:39 PM »
i highsided her.  oily road put on the brake, rear end came around...you know the rest.  it was all low speed. bikes banged up good on the right, i just got a skinned knee and ego. didnt even realize the brake was in a lock in that oil, i actually thought the back brake didnt work at all and eased on the front and thats when the back end came around low then caught and flipped. i just got her lined out, looks like i got some more work ahead of me.

Offline RFH87_Connie

• Arena
« Reply #259 on: September 23, 2011, 12:16:54 PM »
Ouch!  Good thing you're alright.
“I can truly say I had rather be at home at Mount Vernon with a friend or two about me, than to be attended at the seat of government by the officers of State and the representatives of every power of Europe.” - George Washington