Author Topic: what horn to get and where to mount.  (Read 28174 times)

Offline bigfraid

what horn to get and where to mount.
« on: July 08, 2015, 10:47:37 AM »
I'm looking at Denali and steel air horns and want to see what everyone  has chosen and where you mounted.it looks like the steel is louder and smaller and price is pretty close on both,so what should I get.

Thanks
               Bob

Offline clogan

Re: what horn to get and where to mount.
« Reply #1 on: July 08, 2015, 11:32:01 AM »
I got the Wolo Bad Boy, and mounted it under the right side panel, opposite the glove box. I have had these horns on my last 5 bikes, and like them very much. Significantly louder than many car horns. It does require a relay, however. No big deal at all, if you have done much automotive wiring. Around $40 bucks from Harbor Freight.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline clogan

« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2015, 11:33:01 AM »
I got the Wolo Bad Boy, (same as Stebel?), and mounted it under the right side panel, opposite the glove box. I have had these horns on my last 5 bikes, and like them very much. Significantly louder than many car horns. It does require a relay, however. No big deal at all, if you have done much automotive wiring. Around $40 bucks from Harbor Freight.
2010 Neptune blue C14
2009 blue KLR
2013 DRZ400

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2015, 03:31:33 PM »
I'm looking at Denali and steel air horns and want to see what everyone  has chosen and where you mounted.it looks like the steel is louder and smaller and price is pretty close on both,so what should I get.

You will find lots of useful threads on this with a search.

Mine is a Nautilus airhorn, mounted on the right side under the fairing.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Walker18

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2015, 03:41:15 PM »
Screamin' Banshee for me, allows the use of the stock horn, modulates the lights while the air horn is going off..
Quite the racket!
http://screaming-banshee.com/
There was a huge group buy a while back, complete unit, with horn, relay and modulator in one unit. Mounts clean
on the right side on the 14.
COG#8443                                                  
AMA# 1088783
2012 C-14  'Rudy'

Offline PH14

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2015, 04:09:21 PM »
I got H80/2 Stebel horns from Murphs' along with his wiring harness with the relay. I am very happy with them. Here is a thread I started when I installed them.

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=8845.0

Offline Turbodoc

• 2012 Connie
« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2015, 03:24:06 PM »
I have used the "Sport Horn" found at most BMW motorcycle shops on 5 bikes.  It has twin sounds, 115 db, low amperage not requiring a relay, and mounts by replacing stock horn.  A horn has never prevented an accident.  Avoidance and correct positioning with motorcycling killing autos does.  The horn gets their attention after the avoidance.  Don't over buy or over rely on it.  55 years of motorcycling experience with zero accidents.  Be defensive-not offensive.  $35

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2015, 05:40:36 PM »
But being offensive can be so much fun... :banana...and welcome to the forum.

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2015, 06:00:55 PM »
Well Bob, I use Stebel air horns 'cause they are loud, seem to work well and are available all over the place.

Where to mount it? I would suggest mounting it to your motorcycle. I have tried mounting them to my desk, the toilet (with lid pressure actuated switch), my bedroom light-switch and my motorcycles and the only ones I have been able to keep have been the ones on the motorcycles; too many objections to the other locations, along with a few significant ..... oh, let's call the "biological events", from the one on the toilet to allow them to remain.

Hey, someone had to make that smarta$$ comment and it looks like everyone leaves that up to me, all the time!

;D ;D ;D

I mounted mine under the top / right black fairing cover. It fits well, wires in nicely and most of the sound does get out from in there. The only problem with that location is that some people use the same spot for a Rostra cruise control actuator and there is not enough room for both so if you have or plan on getting a Rostra and mounting it there, there will be a conflict.

Brian

Thanks
               Bob
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2015, 11:48:01 PM »
What about this one. Looks like it mount in factory location with a little bit of fabrication for a bracket.thanks for that post brian got a laugh out of that,I don't want to mount anything under the right side right now and no CC,if the fiamm  would work I'll most likely get it only a few bucks.im planning on getting some clearwater led lights so I figured if I can't  be heard then maybe I can be seen.thanks for everyone's input and replys.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #10 on: July 24, 2015, 03:42:50 AM »
^^^^ I have the FIAMM 72102 (Hight Tone) & the 72112 (Low Tone) on my C14. I was able to mount them where the stock horn mounts. You've just got to make sure that you have them mounted so that they clear the front fender when the front suspension is fully compressed and/or turned to the left/right. I was able to do that but fabricating a (lack of better word) flat T bracket with three holes (one hole for each horn and one hole to mount to the original horn mounting location).
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Gigantor

• I often regretted my speech, but never my silence.
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2015, 05:29:20 AM »
I installed the HF80/2 (dual) horn in stock location

2014 Concours 14 ABS Metallic Spark Black
 Xpel Custom Bra kit, SOCALMOTOGEAR HID system, Philip Luggage Rack, Projekt D Radiator Guard, Carbon Fiber Rear Hugger, Mini Euro Sport Shield, Kaw Tour Seat, HF80/2 Horn, RG Frame Sliders, PR4

Offline PH14

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2015, 11:19:21 AM »
I installed the HF80/2 (dual) horn in stock location

I did the same. I love the result.

Offline Jay

• 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST
« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2015, 11:34:39 PM »
^^^^ I have the FIAMM 72102 (Hight Tone) & the 72112 (Low Tone) on my C14. I was able to mount them where the stock horn mounts. You've just got to make sure that you have them mounted so that they clear the front fender when the front suspension is fully compressed and/or turned to the left/right.

+1  But used the FIAMM 74100 El Grande Twin Horns (Note: Requires a relay.)

Mounted in the same location but used two "Universal Brackets" (included with the horns) to connect to the stock mount.
Angled them at about 45 degrees laterally to clear the the top of the front fender.
Used a stainless steel bolt, nut & lock washer to connect the brackets to the OEM mount.
Been on there for 3 years without a problem.
Loud as hell...sounds like s sports car horn.
- 2011 Kawasaki Concours 14, Black
- 1979 Kawasaki KZ1000ST (Shaft Drive)
- 1976 Triumph Bonneville 750

Offline mikeeitup

« Reply #14 on: July 28, 2015, 05:43:53 PM »
I wanna get and mount Hella Sharptones. Anyone done that/have a pic? Thanks!
Mike
~Mike~
~2012 Black Connie~

Offline Turbodoc

• 2012 Connie
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2015, 11:21:02 AM »
Thank you for welcoming me.  My experience, for what experience is worth, tells me that my previous louder horns did not make me safe--just louder.  Perhaps to signal the motorcycle next to me or something.  Most accidents are car vs. motorcycle, and visibility  has been shown to be the issue and loud horns are ineffective in preventing cars turning left in front of you (50% of accidents).  If you reach for the horn button, you are wasting time avoiding the accident.  Just stay away from cars.  If you wish to be seen by pedestrians, by all means, get a blaster and get attention (fun).  But they have been proven to not prevent car vs. motorcycle accidents.  Many dual horns if not used with a relay, will ultimately blow the fuse.  Make sure the horn has low amperage draw.  I love the Fiamms and they sound they make--just a preference.  The sport horn without a relay and 10 minutes can be installed and my bike goes from an anemic beep to a adequate dual 115 db. sounder without a relay.  Just one simple, cheap option that is more than adequate.  Louder than twin BMW horns.

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #16 on: July 30, 2015, 06:39:18 AM »
I have the Denali mini air horn. I did have it mounted under the right top fairing as previously mentioned in this thread but I found it somewhat muffled. I ran into a rider from the COG forum and he had the great idea of splitting the horn. You can take the Denali horn apart into two pieces. The compressor and the horn. I kept the compressor under the top right fairing and with some hose and fittings from Home Depot connected it to the horn which I mounted exactly where the stock horn goes. I've had it like this for the better part of a year without issue and it is loud.

I completely agree that a horn is not going to save you from the car making a left in front of you but living on Long Island and making occasional trips into NYC on the bike I can tell you that it does get people's attention when they drift into your lane.

Offline Richard. Wales UK

• 2010 1400 GTR trike.
« Reply #17 on: July 30, 2015, 12:17:43 PM »
Hi

I fitted a Screaming Banshee unit, compressor under the right fairing and the horn inside the front right fairing just under the indicator light, with the outlet showing through a hole I cut so its facing down at the back of the front wheel.
It came with the control unit so the original horn works for the first 0.25 second, handy for a friendly peep peep, then the air horn kicks in which sounds like a lorry horn!

Few pics

Richard

Offline backoutonthehighway

• More cowbell!
    • Back Out On The Highway
« Reply #18 on: July 30, 2015, 06:22:38 PM »
There may be no published studies that prove louder horns save lives, but just last spring woman with a car full of children started to move quickly and directly in my lane. Visibility wasn't the issue, attention was. I maneuvered right and barely missed being hit. If I hadn't had a horn she could hear (and that I used immediately) she would have pushed me right into the retaining wall before I could get slowed down enough to allow her in the lane.

Thank you for welcoming me.  My experience, for what experience is worth, tells me that my previous louder horns did not make me safe--just louder.  Perhaps to signal the motorcycle next to me or something.  Most accidents are car vs. motorcycle, and visibility  has been shown to be the issue and loud horns are ineffective in preventing cars turning left in front of you (50% of accidents).  If you reach for the horn button, you are wasting time avoiding the accident.  Just stay away from cars.  If you wish to be seen by pedestrians, by all means, get a blaster and get attention (fun).  But they have been proven to not prevent car vs. motorcycle accidents.  Many dual horns if not used with a relay, will ultimately blow the fuse.  Make sure the horn has low amperage draw.  I love the Fiamms and they sound they make--just a preference.  The sport horn without a relay and 10 minutes can be installed and my bike goes from an anemic beep to a adequate dual 115 db. sounder without a relay.  Just one simple, cheap option that is more than adequate.  Louder than twin BMW horns.
2011 Kawasaki Concours 14 | 2006 Kawasaki 1500 Vulcan Classic | 2003 Yamaha Star 650 (Sold)

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #19 on: July 30, 2015, 06:36:22 PM »
There may be no published studies that prove louder horns save lives, but just last spring woman with a car full of children started to move quickly and directly in my lane. Visibility wasn't the issue, attention was. I maneuvered right and barely missed being hit. If I hadn't had a horn she could hear (and that I used immediately) she would have pushed me right into the retaining wall before I could get slowed down enough to allow her in the lane.

Nothing is 100% fool proof. Nothing is going to save your life all the time. All you can do is increase your odds. A louder horn IMO does just that. I've been in that same spot many times. Someone coming over when I'm directly next to them. A quick blast and all of a sudden they wake up.