Author Topic: what horn to get and where to mount.  (Read 28167 times)

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
Re: what horn to get and where to mount.
« Reply #20 on: July 30, 2015, 06:48:26 PM »
Loud pipes might do the same thing.

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #21 on: July 30, 2015, 06:59:04 PM »

Exactly. Can't say they always work but driving in traffic I'll make sure my revs are still high and people know I'm next to them.

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #22 on: July 31, 2015, 07:30:19 AM »
I have the Denali mini air horn. I did have it mounted under the right top fairing as previously mentioned in this thread but I found it somewhat muffled. I ran into a rider from the COG forum and he had the great idea of splitting the horn. You can take the Denali horn apart into two pieces. The compressor and the horn. I kept the compressor under the top right fairing and with some hose and fittings from Home Depot connected it to the horn which I mounted exactly where the stock horn goes. I've had it like this for the better part of a year without issue and it is loud.

I completely agree that a horn is not going to save you from the car making a left in front of you but living on Long Island and making occasional trips into NYC on the bike I can tell you that it does get people's attention when they drift into your lane.
I see that Denali now makes a 2 piece horn that you can buy instead of splitting apart the one piece.

Offline bigfraid

« Reply #23 on: July 31, 2015, 07:34:01 AM »
Hi

I fitted a Screaming Banshee unit, compressor under the right fairing and the horn inside the front right fairing just under the indicator light, with the outlet showing through a hole I cut so its facing down at the back of the front wheel.
It came with the control unit so the original horn works for the first 0.25 second, handy for a friendly peep peep, then the air horn kicks in which sounds like a lorry horn!

Few pics

Richard
  nice set up.

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #24 on: July 31, 2015, 07:52:30 AM »
I see that Denali now makes a 2 piece horn that you can buy instead of splitting apart the one piece.

I knew I should have patented it!!!! LOL...  Yeah that's exactly what I did. Split it with a little hose and fittings.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/denali-soundbomb-split-dual-tone-air-horn?utm_source=product&kwd=&kpid=1036349&gclid=CMacr_bBhccCFYSQHwodqZkE7A

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #25 on: August 01, 2015, 02:47:49 PM »
I completely agree that a horn is not going to save you from the car making a left in front of you but living on Long Island and making occasional trips into NYC on the bike I can tell you that it does get people's attention when they drift into your lane.

Exactly.  Horns should NEVER be what you reach for first.  Be ready to brake and/or move.  But you *can* use the horn once you are ready and/or already taking evasive action.  I honk at people who start to drift into my lane with my LOUD air horn frequently, and 90% of the time, that is all it takes.  But I am already extremely ready to move/avoid.

But more importantly, it allows you to show just how pissed off you AFTER are when someone does something stupid. :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: August 01, 2015, 02:51:56 PM »

OMG no.  (I know you post this in jest, but some people might not know).

All those do is irritate everyone behind (and everyone in the community), continuously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_F_Word_%28South_Park%29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGyKBFCd_u4
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #27 on: August 01, 2015, 07:15:54 PM »
I knew I should have patented it!!!! LOL...  Yeah that's exactly what I did. Split it with a little hose and fittings.

http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/denali-soundbomb-split-dual-tone-air-horn?utm_source=product&kwd=&kpid=1036349&gclid=CMacr_bBhccCFYSQHwodqZkE7A

Waiting for Galfer to come out with the stainless braided line so my split horn won't have that squishy sound.......(Should have saved this for April 1st right?)  ::)

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #28 on: August 01, 2015, 11:23:44 PM »
OMG no.  (I know you post this in jest, but some people might not know).

All those do is irritate everyone behind (and everyone in the community), continuously.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_F_Word_%28South_Park%29
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xGyKBFCd_u4

Max there is loud, there is OMG my ears are bleeding from the open pipes loud and the completely silent stock bike. Stock C14 pretty much silent. My neighbor's bored out Sportster 1200 running open pipes... My ears are bleeding. LOL.. Then there's me. C14 with a two brothers slip on. Middle of the road louder than stock. As I said driving in traffic which I tend to do a lot of here on Long Island I want people to be aware that I'm there. I don't want anyone's ears to bleed :) Does it make me bullet proof? Of course now. But it does make me a little more visible.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2015, 02:21:31 PM »
I've had time to reflect on loud pipes whilst riding in my Prius this past weekend.  Coming up on them, the noise doesn't register until nearly on top of them.  As they're passing me, I don't hear them until they're just about at the driver's window.  If you have the windows up and the AC on you just can't hear them and to say that noisy pipes save lives is a bunch of  :censored: t.  All loud pipes do is to antagonize every one around them that's not riding.  How come they can get away with a pipe with no muffler and cars can't?
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #30 on: August 06, 2015, 05:30:42 AM »
How come they can get away with a pipe with no muffler and cars can't?

Because the police are too busy obsessing over speed.

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #31 on: August 06, 2015, 06:14:05 AM »
Who said cars can't? Cars most definitely have aftermarket louder exhaust and are rarely harassed for it here in New York.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #32 on: August 06, 2015, 06:42:00 AM »
Not talking about an aftermarket exhaust system, talking about straight pipes.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: August 06, 2015, 07:17:41 AM »
back on topic, anyone mounted a 12v car horn?  ;D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline KevinRLi

• I avoid normal people.
« Reply #34 on: August 06, 2015, 09:49:51 AM »
Yes. Prior to using the air horn and I threw one on my son's Versys 650 just as a quick upgrade. Works fine. No relay necessary either for a single horn.

Offline RGOODIN66

« Reply #35 on: August 25, 2015, 08:25:25 PM »
i installed a euro mocc horn

3 x louder than stock and only about 15 bucks

easy install

http://www.dx.com/p/mocc-motorcycle-electronic-super-sound-speaker-horn-black-12v-229814#.Vd0jTPlViko

Offline connie_rider

« Reply #36 on: August 26, 2015, 08:13:04 AM »
The C-14 horn is embarrassing!
After glancing over all the posts, I'm undecided about which I'll choose until I read more.
But, I've got to install something on this bike!

Ride safe, Ted