Author Topic: 2015 connie [pre-release speculation]  (Read 105048 times)

Offline wally_games

• Arena
Re: 2015 connie
« Reply #300 on: November 13, 2014, 11:10:53 AM »
Comfort & Touring Potential

- NEW TPMS sensors to warn of tire deflation What's new about these? battery change?

- NEW Tank pad to protect the paintwork from clothing scratches So it looks like they added a pad on the end of the tank.

- NEW Cushioned passenger footpegs

- NEW Larger electrically adjustable windscreen with a three-position vent reduces upper-body turbulence to reduce rider fatigue

Going bigger again?
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #301 on: November 18, 2014, 11:55:30 PM »
So what's with the new first gear ratio, it seems they've lowered first gear on the 2015 (3.538 (46/13) vs 2014's 3.333 (50/15)).
Anybody here think that the GenIs and IIs first gear is too tall?

They've lowered the price too!  :yikes:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #302 on: November 19, 2014, 05:44:43 AM »
So what's with the new first gear ratio, it seems they've lowered first gear on the 2015 (3.538 (46/13) vs 2014's 3.333 (50/15)).  Anybody here think that the GenIs and IIs first gear is too tall?

I have absolutely no idea why they would do that.  No, I don't think it is too tall.  I have never seen a single complaint about first gear ratio.  And yet we have many on other [more important] things that Kawasaki ignored.  Of course, these tiny changes were things they could do that cost almost nothing and required no redesigning the bike.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #303 on: November 19, 2014, 06:13:04 AM »
I'm sure that there's thousands waiting to buy based on the new first gear ratio...  I'm quite saddened by the fact that after all the hoopla in 2008 and 2010 that they're really missing the boat in keeping up with the rest of the sport touring industry....7 years later.

I wonder if it's time to start the 2016 thread now.. ::)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
« Reply #304 on: November 19, 2014, 06:53:39 AM »
Also of interest is the new revised linked brake settings. That will be interesting to hear about when someone here checks them out and compares them to the old ones.

Personally, I think there were enough changes to call this Gen II.5. I mean, they could have just offered the green bodywork and the silver bezels and let it go at that, which would have been twice as many changes as last year (not including price change). Enough changes so that now I'm doubtful of a big change in 2016 for the 30th Anniversary Concours15 model coming out. Of course seeing the way mama kaw released the H2 with all the dramatic flare, perhaps she is just setting us up for the surprise '15 30th Anniversary edition of the Concourse15 with Cruise control, infinitely adjustable linked ABS, improved KIPASS with remote saddlebag and optional top case remote FOB lock control, angel eye factory HID projectors that pivot through the turns, dynamic ESA, and of course non Takata air bag and stock Michelin PR4GTs. Available for only $18,799 or $20,899 w/airbag.

Back to earth, the only reason I can think of for the first gear change would be if it somehow helps mitigate the slow speed snatchiness of the throttle?

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #305 on: November 19, 2014, 05:42:01 PM »
Also of interest is the new revised linked brake settings. That will be interesting to hear about when someone here checks them out and compares them to the old ones.

The pisser is it is a simple firmware/software change that costs nothing and they SHOULD be able to flash it to the previous bikes; but I bet that won't be an option for the dealers/service.

Personally, I think there were enough changes to call this Gen II.5.

Meh.  Compared to the stuff changed in 2010, this is peanuts.

Enough changes so that now I'm doubtful of a big change in 2016 for the 30th Anniversary Concours15 model coming out.

I think it has no bearing on 2016.  The next big change will be big- throttle by wire (which means cruise for sure), probably different displacement, etc.  They probably won't want to hold onto the non-Z engine any longer because it will cause more expense.  It is likely to be 2016.

Back to earth, the only reason I can think of for the first gear change would be if it somehow helps mitigate the slow speed snatchiness of the throttle?

Changing the throttle tube would have been a lot easier, though.  It is a really odd move on their part.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #306 on: November 19, 2014, 06:18:35 PM »
The pisser is it is a simple firmware/software change that costs nothing and they SHOULD be able to flash it to the previous bikes; but I bet that won't be an option for the dealers/service.

You obviously don't work in software if you think that a change costs nothing.   ???
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #307 on: November 19, 2014, 06:33:27 PM »
Touche!  No truer words have ever been spoken.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #308 on: November 19, 2014, 08:03:13 PM »
You obviously don't work in software if you think that a change costs nothing.   ???

Actually, I do work in I.T. and have for 30 years :)   By nothing I meant more like "virtually nothing".

There is probably a simple table or even single value that controls the bias.  Regardless of language, making that change should take no more than a few minutes.  It would be on the same level of changing a misspelling on the display from "Tenp" to "Temp".  Testing to make sure it is safe and what is wanted- that might be a little effort....  I have a feeling all that research was done way before 2010, anyway.

But my point is it is not a PHYSICAL change.  There is no part to buy, nothing to re-engineer, no new molds to make, no raw materials to buy, no components  to source and ship, no retooling assembly, nothing to crash or stress test, nothing to paint.  It is just a very, very small program change.  And the cost to come up with that one little change,  spread over the many thousands of units that will be sold is essentially a non-cost.

Offline tomp

« Reply #309 on: November 19, 2014, 08:18:37 PM »
""Ghul ECU flash, HID, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, helmet locks, Garmin Zumo 450, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen.  Scorpion EXO-1000,  Tourmaster Flex II.""

Maxtog, I agree with what you said.  Above is your list of add-ons.  Since much of your installs were replacements for OEM parts, seems that Kawi could have used those parts instead of the ones you now have in a box, and you wouldn't be out $XXXXX's.  About the only company that will do that is BMW, upon a special order  build.  Seems most MC companies build one model, and it's up to the owner to make the mods.  Capitalism at its finest, keeps us all in rent money, I guess... tp
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #310 on: November 19, 2014, 08:40:35 PM »
Actually, I do work in I.T. and have for 30 years :)   By nothing I meant more like "virtually nothing".

There is probably a simple table or even single value that controls the bias.  Regardless of language, making that change should take no more than a few minutes.  It would be on the same level of changing a misspelling on the display from "Tenp" to "Temp".  Testing to make sure it is safe and what is wanted- that might be a little effort....  I have a feeling all that research was done way before 2010, anyway.

But my point is it is not a PHYSICAL change.  There is no part to buy, nothing to re-engineer, no new molds to make, no raw materials to buy, no components  to source and ship, no retooling assembly, nothing to crash or stress test, nothing to paint.  It is just a very, very small program change.  And the cost to come up with that one little change,  spread over the many thousands of units that will be sold is essentially a non-cost.

Ah so, but Kwakers is a big company.  And big companies cannot do small things without getting all sorts of people involved..  Board meetings.  Saki.   Geisha's.  It all takes time and money.  I've worked for a large company.  Nothing is as simple as it seems to us on the outside.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #311 on: November 20, 2014, 03:49:39 AM »
Ah so, but Kwakers is a big company.  And big companies cannot do small things without getting all sorts of people involved..  Board meetings.  Saki.   Geisha's.  It all takes time and money.  I've worked for a large company.  Nothing is as simple as it seems to us on the outside.
No kidding, look what it takes to run a government.  Sorry Jim couldn't help myself.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #312 on: November 20, 2014, 03:51:58 AM »

True, but (you knew it was coming) what max was describing is what is call at these big companies a "True V.I. (value improvement)" which is something that cost very little or actuilly cost less to the company and creates value to the product in a manner in which customers are wanting and are willing to pay for. When a "True V.I." is presented to managment in these large companies, it normally gets fast tracked. Well, that's how it works within the company that I work for.
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #313 on: November 20, 2014, 04:27:20 AM »
...and it's up to the owner to make the mods.

You mean it's up to the owner to complain all over the internet about how Kawasaki *should* have built the bike and how Kawasaki should have installed their favorite accessories before they even bought the bike?...lol.

Rem 8)
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #314 on: November 20, 2014, 04:36:40 AM »
You mean it's up to the owner to complain all over the internet about how Kawasaki *should* have built the bike and how Kawasaki should have installed their favorite accessories before they even bought the bike?...lol.

Rem 8)

Thank God for internet forums. Now we don't have to go out in the cold and hold protest signs.  :)

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #315 on: November 20, 2014, 04:52:35 AM »

Thank God for internet forums. Now we don't have to go out in the cold and hold protest signs.  :)

Hahahaha! Ain't that the truth...lol. Protesting, right in the comfort of your own home...lol.

You know what will happen, right? After a few more years, Kawasaki will have added all these options and accessories that the wine-sippin' sport-touring crowd is crying over, the bike will weight another 80 lbs, cost an extra $1500, and nobody will be able to fix them at home...lol. Hey, good things come to those who wait;).

Rem 8)

“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #316 on: November 20, 2014, 05:02:15 AM »
Then you can slap a KMW rondel on it and everybody will be happy.  :)

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #317 on: November 20, 2014, 05:05:39 AM »

I agree that it can cost less than PHYSICAL changes.  We make software changes all the time to compensate for poor hardware designs. 

One little software change usually doesn't justify the amount of testing that must occur before a finished product that can harm a human being must undergo.  We categorize all the potential changes, assign priorities, risk analysis, etc. etc. and then when a critical change comes along that MUST be done, we are able to slip in 'nice to have' changes which is what the change you are talking about would be categorized as.

My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline tomp

« Reply #318 on: November 20, 2014, 06:58:37 AM »

Like one that says, "Where's our Cruise Control???", or "1442 cc's NOW!" ?  ;D
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #319 on: November 20, 2014, 07:04:35 AM »
Or....                                          UNLINK
                                                  [ MY
                                                  ABS