Author Topic: 2015 connie [pre-release speculation]  (Read 105035 times)

Offline Conrad

Re: 2015 connie
« Reply #260 on: November 06, 2014, 05:21:57 AM »
It keeps the anti-gravity juice from leaking.

I knew there had to be something that I didn't think of!

I keep mine in the battery, where it belongs.

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #261 on: November 06, 2014, 05:35:43 AM »
I fail to see how adding a seal to the stem will make the steering feel lighter at low speeds.    ???

Yep, that is why I gave that one a "?"
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #262 on: November 06, 2014, 05:40:42 AM »
If I were in the market, there is nothing in the that list that holds any interest that would even slightly sway me to the 2015.  Would be more interested in the color.

When the Versys came out in green for '14 I looked at what it would take to swap the plastics out.  For that bike it would cost me $600.  Almost went for it, but found out they don't offer the handguards in green so I passed. 

I have missed out on Green Kawasakis several times now.  Bought my '07 Ninja 650 and they came out with green in '08.  Bought my '11 Versys and they come out with green in '14.  Bought my '12 Concours and they come out with green in '15. 
No '04 Mean Streaks around when I found my '07.  I guess I will just have to be happy with the two green bikes I do have.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #263 on: November 06, 2014, 05:40:57 AM »
Yep, that is why I gave that one a "?"

They likely changed the bottom seal to one with a lighter lip so that it wouldn't drag on the frame so much.
If I was a betting man, that's what I'd roll the dice on.

Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #264 on: November 06, 2014, 05:45:13 AM »
I have a red and blue on the floor.  I like the red better, but the blue is nice too.  To me, though I love Kawi green, it is almost obtrusive on the Concours.  Kind of a "Look at me Ma" color.  Better on MX and SBK rides.  Watching Villapoto cross the finish, on his bike of green, was always a treat for me...   tp

How much are you asking for them?  My local dealer couldn't touch the price I was able to get from SportCycles back in '12 when I bought my '12.  They were so far off that it was to my advantage to fly and ride home.  It must be hard to sell bikes at retail when most consumers can use the internet to compare pricing.

When I go on CycleTrader and look at any motorcycle in the $15 - $20k range I see as much as $4000 differences in asking price.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #265 on: November 06, 2014, 06:51:47 AM »
That seal thing.....Yamaha did soemthing similar on their dirt bikes. The new seal stopped water. You had to change or switch upper bearings every 90 days.  The new seal was made of  a harder, or slicker material.  Honest, you could feel it, but it was more noticeable on the stand.

Plus, on the streetbike, you have cables and hoses interfering

Certainly nothing like loose vs tight steering head bearings.   If I translated to my Scotts Damper, it was worth oen click, is not 1/2 click.  You noticed it for 10 seconds, then business as usual.  Nowhere near as dramatic as using moly lube on these bearings instead of light oil.  You noticed way more difference switching lubricants.

If your taking this apart to lubricate, by all means order a new seat.   The same seal is used on a bunch fo different bikes, oddly enough. You'd assume the c14 woudl be larger, but its not.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #266 on: November 06, 2014, 02:53:47 PM »
They likely changed the bottom seal to one with a lighter lip so that it wouldn't drag on the frame so much.
If I was a betting man, that's what I'd roll the dice on.

Will that even be noticeable when riding the bike??
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #267 on: November 06, 2014, 02:55:25 PM »
I probably wouldn't notice it as I haven't had any issues with slow speed handling.  It's either upright or down on the ground.  There is no in between for me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #268 on: November 06, 2014, 02:57:58 PM »

+1 Hard to believe on a big heavy bike like this you would even notice. Besides, once the bike it moving, i've never noticed any difficulty turning the fork. I would think tire pressure would make a lot more difference then the friction of the seal.

Offline Rembrant

• Arena
« Reply #269 on: November 07, 2014, 01:11:31 PM »

Well, that depends on what you mean by "riding the bike"...

+1 Hard to believe on a big heavy bike like this you would even notice. Besides, once the bike it moving, i've never noticed any difficulty turning the fork. I would think tire pressure would make a lot more difference then the friction of the seal.

If you were "riding the bike" slow enough you would likely feel it. Remember, once you're moving at a decent rate of speed, you don't turn the handlebars to steer...you lean the bike to make it turn. This is why changing the lower seal to one with less friction would only be noticeable in a parking lot, etc. While it doesn't bother me in the least, there have been a lot of complaints online about the bike being difficult to handle at low (parking lot) speeds. To me...it's like "DUH"...it's a 700 lb motorcycle...of course it's a heavy handling beast in a parking lot at slow speed.

Those who have ridden motorcycles with steering dampers know what I mean about the difference in slow speed handling, etc. You can set a steering damper very stiff...and it will be very noticeable at slow speeds when you are still turning the bars to steer. However, once you're up to speed and leaning the bike to turn it, you don't feel the action of the damper.

JMTCW,
Rem
“If you're not a liberal at twenty you have no heart, if you're not a conservative at forty you have no brain.” ~ Winston Churchill.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #270 on: November 07, 2014, 01:18:10 PM »
Yes of course we are talking about slow parking lot speed where you actually turn the bars. But still hard to believe that seal will make much of a difference. I guess I'd have to try it to see for myself.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #271 on: November 07, 2014, 03:49:13 PM »
Well, that depends on what you mean by "riding the bike"...

Slow speed maneuvers, when you are turning the steering.  To me, it is just a large, heavy, top-heavy bike.  I don't particularly notice the steering being stiff or perhaps stifled by a seal.  Just seems like a non-worth-mentioning "improvement".

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #272 on: November 07, 2014, 03:53:12 PM »
It was either that or cruise so......

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #273 on: November 07, 2014, 04:20:37 PM »
Yep.  They chose unwisely.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline rcannon409

« Reply #274 on: November 07, 2014, 06:24:22 PM »
You can feel the seals.  Have you ever adjusted steering head bearings? The first few times, you dont really know what your doing.

You set them perfectly, then tighten the top triple clamp in place..then the bearings are just  a little too tight. Its that sensation, only not as drastic.  I'll change mine when I do the steering head.

Actually, it probably has no grease in it now, just lubing it is probably enough. I've never opened up a m a modern motorcycle and found much, if any lube there. Yamaha used the thinnest coat of what looked like vasoline .

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #275 on: November 07, 2014, 06:39:50 PM »
Will you be doing a bearing swap?

Offline Jimmy Lucas

« Reply #276 on: November 07, 2014, 06:42:28 PM »
im happy I dont have abs on my 2008 so I dont have to worry about that.  :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #277 on: November 07, 2014, 06:52:50 PM »
What's ABS got to do with it?

Offline tomp

« Reply #278 on: November 07, 2014, 07:02:46 PM »
What's ABS got to do with it?
About the same as cruise control, I guess. 
Living in the Texas Coast...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #279 on: November 07, 2014, 07:03:40 PM »
Well, maybe it's because I haven't started drinking yet but I just don't get it..