Author Topic: How do you stay cool on bike  (Read 26076 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: How do you stay cool on bike
« Reply #80 on: June 23, 2011, 11:43:36 PM »
I had a Nikon in the GIVI earlier tonight playing with a new lens and it was scorching in FL.  This is what I saw:

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #81 on: June 24, 2011, 06:02:40 AM »
I am finding this thread very interesting since this is my normal summer riding conditions in Phoenix, AZ.

But it's a dry heat right?    :o
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #82 on: June 24, 2011, 06:09:15 AM »
But it's a dry heat right?    :o

It is a dry heat, similar to what we get in the Central Valley of California. Problem is, once it's over 100, it's still over 100. If you ride, it feels like you are getting blasted by a hairdryer.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #83 on: June 24, 2011, 06:55:57 AM »
It is a dry heat, similar to what we get in the Central Valley of California. Problem is, once it's over 100, it's still over 100. If you ride, it feels like you are getting blasted by a hairdryer.

I'll be coming across AZ/Cali in July. You suggest i ride at night? Or does the risk of animals offset any advantages of heat?
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jaclaw

« Reply #84 on: June 24, 2011, 07:00:34 AM »
I bought one of the evaporative vests to try out,  rode about 5 miles but I did not like the feel and would just as soon soak a tee shirt.  Anybody wants it, I'll let it go for $20.00 + shipping.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #85 on: June 24, 2011, 09:44:09 AM »
I bought one of the evaporative vests to try out,  rode about 5 miles but I did not like the feel and would just as soon soak a tee shirt.  Anybody wants it, I'll let it go for $20.00 + shipping.

I would recoomend the night time...  It will still be in the low 100's at night.  There are not as many animals to worry about like back east however one must watch out for the tire carcssses on the roads as the hot temps tend to take there toll on tires.  Especially need to watch out for stuff like that when riding at night.....

YoDoc

« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2011, 10:10:11 AM »
In Iraq, which is very similar weather to the American SW, believe it or not, I found that once it gets above about 105 or 110, it really doesn't matter how much hotter it gets. I can tell the difference between 80 and 90, or 90 and 100. But 105 and 130 feel exactly the same.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2011, 10:40:29 AM »
Headed from Colorado to Beaumont, TX and then follow the gulf to the Florida panhandle. I expect to be HOT and using a wet t-shirt to survive.

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #88 on: June 24, 2011, 11:10:05 AM »
In Iraq, which is very similar weather to the American SW, believe it or not, I found that once it gets above about 105 or 110, it really doesn't matter how much hotter it gets. I can tell the difference between 80 and 90, or 90 and 100. But 105 and 130 feel exactly the same.

I tend to agree...  I am usually good up to about 105 and after that I can't till the difference any longer...  My lungs are on fire at that point  :yikes:

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #89 on: June 24, 2011, 11:07:57 PM »
I'll be coming across AZ/Cali in July. You suggest i ride at night? Or does the risk of animals offset any advantages of heat?

In Cali, it normally cools down at night as compared to AZ where it may not cool much. If we have a 110 degree day (not super common in the Central Valley of Cali, but it does happen and sometimes a week at a time) it normally cools to mid 70's at night and early morning. It's pretty rare that I wake up to 80 degrees at 6am here. Partially depends on what part of Cali you are going through. Bakersfield or Redding and you might be screwed. Get closer to the central part, near Modesto/Tracy and it cools off more since it's closer to the Delta/Bay. Once you get to the Bay Area it is normally much cooler and the coast can seem very cold to most as you may not see the sun because of the fog.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #90 on: June 30, 2011, 06:23:01 AM »
I live in Lewisville and commute to the Galleria in Dallas.  It's not too bad.  I usually leave work late, so I can keep moving instead of being stuck in traffic.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Joncon11

« Reply #91 on: June 30, 2011, 09:56:49 AM »
Strange as this may sound, I go running in the heat on a mostly daily basis. It was 96 when I headed out the door today. Your body needs to get acclimatized to the heat and since I run and race all during the summer, I find I'm not too bothered by heat while on the bike.

Obviously this ain't gonna work for everybody.

I commute all summer in NC with full gear and I agree with the statement above. For me 80 feels like 90 feels like 100. Stay hydrated and take breaks.

Edit; I tend to ride my Monster more in the summer months, more air hits me given the lack of fairings.