Author Topic: How do you stay cool on bike  (Read 26072 times)

Offline fmwhit

Re: How do you stay cool on bike
« Reply #60 on: June 14, 2011, 10:27:59 AM »
When it starts getting warm here in NY I use a Joe Rocket Mesh jacket- its similar to riding injust a short sleeve shirt.  I also use the stock wind shield.

Fred

Offline ernie4110

« Reply #61 on: June 14, 2011, 02:54:08 PM »
I have a handheld temperature gauge I use when I teach the MSF course and last week in Atlanta it  was 96F. The temperaqture at 12 inches off the pavement read 103F. It gets very hot traveling 5  mph in traffic. You could probable add 10 degrees to the real temperature.

Rash
09 Conours
04 Goldwing
MSF Instructor

Offline roadie1951

« Reply #62 on: June 14, 2011, 03:09:35 PM »
I have a handheld temperature gauge I use when I teach the MSF course and last week in Atlanta it  was 96F. The temperaqture at 12 inches off the pavement read 103F. It gets very hot traveling 5  mph in traffic. You could probable add 10 degrees to the real temperature.

Rash

I'm in Atlanta too, so I feel your pain.  I'm a firm believer in AGAT, so I have the appropriate gear to ride in various weather conditions.  Heated vest and long johns for winter, mesh pants and jacket for local rides in the summer.  On longer trips, I wear my Olympia AST and Ranger pants with the vents wide open.  Tourmaster mesh gloves and HJC Symax II helmet.  I have one of those things you soak in water and put around your neck when it's really hot.  Staying hydrated is my biggest thing.  I keep a Camelback in my tank bag.  Flip up the Symax and drink, drink, drink. 

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #63 on: June 14, 2011, 04:11:47 PM »
The wet cooling vests work a ton better in lower humidity, for sure.  Up here in Dallas they work GREAT.  I'm sure they work like a charm in Arizona too.  Houston, not as much. 

But the fact is that it takes a lot of calories to heat water, and even if you "feel" miserable in the cooling vest, it's actually still doing you some good from a "don't overheat" standpoint.  The science is there.

I'm a big fan of the right wrist air conditioner... LOL
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #64 on: June 14, 2011, 04:18:45 PM »
I live in the Dallas area, too and I don't have any tears for you guys in Atlanta. We haven't had a high temperature below 96 degrees in about three weeks. And we probably won't see a high below 90 until September (unless it rains). Right now at 5:15pm it is 100 on my back porch. Lowering the windscreen doesn't help--it's like riding around in front of a hairdryer on high. Of course, the tradeoff is that we get to ride pretty much year round and I've never needed heated gear.

I just ordered my evaporative cooling vest a few days ago so I can't wait until it gets here and I can give it a try. The heat doesn't stop me from commuting every day.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #65 on: June 14, 2011, 04:29:08 PM »
Hey Crash, what part of town you from?

I do love my Gerbing heated liner when it's below 45.  It's not NECESSARY, but it's so NICE!
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #66 on: June 14, 2011, 04:49:34 PM »
I live in Allen and commute to Richardson every day. You?

Flathead

« Reply #67 on: June 14, 2011, 06:46:10 PM »
Hey Crash, what part of town you from?

I do love my Gerbing heated liner when it's below 45.  It's not NECESSARY, but it's so NICE!

45°!! I don't even put the liner in my mesh jacket til 45°!!  ;)

YoDoc

« Reply #68 on: June 14, 2011, 06:56:48 PM »
45°!! I don't even put the liner in my mesh jacket til 45°!!  ;)

I hear you. I live in Dallas now, but I have lived all over, from Florida to Indiana to North Carolina, and I have exactly two jackets. One is mesh, the other is leather. I also have a pair of Icon riding jeans with a removable windproof liner that I have never put in. If it's hot, I get hot when I ride. If it's cold, I get cold when I ride. Eh.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #69 on: June 15, 2011, 05:04:10 AM »
I hear you. I live in Dallas now, but I have lived all over, from Florida to Indiana to North Carolina, and I have exactly two jackets. One is mesh, the other is leather. I also have a pair of Icon riding jeans with a removable windproof liner that I have never put in. If it's hot, I get hot when I ride. If it's cold, I get cold when I ride. Eh.

Boy, that IS all over ain't it?    ;D
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

YoDoc

« Reply #70 on: June 15, 2011, 06:54:26 AM »
I also spent two years living in Iraq ;) , and the last time I was there, the Baghdad Police had FJRs... Only time I've ever seen a Police FJR up close.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #71 on: June 15, 2011, 09:37:20 PM »
I also spent two years living in Iraq ;) , and the last time I was there, the Baghdad Police had FJRs... Only time I've ever seen a Police FJR up close.

Really, I have spent 27 months in Iraq and the only IP motorcycles I saw were Hodaka and JinYee.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

YoDoc

« Reply #72 on: June 15, 2011, 10:00:06 PM »
The JinYee 125cc one cylinders were the only thing I'd seen until about may or june of 2009. I saw two FJRs while we were "helping" a local contractor take down some blast walls at the main market. White paint, blue lights, sirens, the whole package. I don't know if they were IPs or not. They weren't wearing IP uniforms, but they sure looked and acted like cops. Does Baghdad have city police? I don't know.

I say helping, I mean photo-op.

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #73 on: June 16, 2011, 07:41:43 AM »
Baghdad does have several police districts that include traffic and patrol.  I left in March 2009 and the FJR thing still surprises me.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

YoDoc

« Reply #74 on: June 16, 2011, 08:14:19 AM »
http://www.brothersintl.net/yamaha/PIC/Motor_Cycle/Police/XJ900P.jpg
http://www.usf-iraq.com/?option=com_content&task=view&id=15918&Itemid=128

I looked into this a bit further. Turns out, they weren't FJRs. (Gimme a break, I was a Harley guy back then... LOL) They were, in fact, XJ 900 Police bikes. I didn't get any pictures of them when I saw them, but I do remember that they said Yamaha, and for some reason, in my head, they looked like FJRs....

Offline wildnphx

• Arena
« Reply #75 on: June 23, 2011, 03:19:38 PM »
I am finding this thread very interesting since this is my normal summer riding conditions in Phoenix, AZ. 

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #76 on: June 23, 2011, 03:57:42 PM »
I was thinking of reviving this thread because I got my evaporative cooling vest and I've had a chance to use it. It really does work. It's been near 100 here in Dallas this week (cold front came through  :))) and it does work for my commute home. The awkward part is timing it so that I can get it wet and get the excess water drained off and ready to wear when it's time to go. I'm very happy with it, though.

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #77 on: June 23, 2011, 06:49:37 PM »
I was thinking of reviving this thread because I got my evaporative cooling vest and I've had a chance to use it. It really does work. It's been near 100 here in Dallas this week (cold front came through  :))) and it does work for my commute home. The awkward part is timing it so that I can get it wet and get the excess water drained off and ready to wear when it's time to go. I'm very happy with it, though.
+1
I have one and love it. Get some weird looks now and then, but I am enjoying the heck out of it.
http://ridecool.com/catalog/index.php/cPath/21?osCsid=4346c07c40b0b4884d15881bc2b02057
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline klrstix

« Reply #78 on: June 23, 2011, 07:56:32 PM »
See link..

http://www.coolwingrider.com/

These work as advertised...   
Only those that see the invisible can do the impossible..

Offline TonyR

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2011, 09:25:39 PM »
Maybe we should just turn the trunk into a freezer :)