Author Topic: How do you stay cool on bike  (Read 25922 times)

Offline jjsC6

Re: How do you stay cool on bike
« Reply #40 on: June 11, 2011, 06:02:11 AM »
Those cooling vests work great in hot environments with low humidity. Here in the south with high humidity the water doesn't evaporate and mixes with your sweat which in turn just makes you stinky, wet and hot all at the same time.

However, trying anything beats trying nothing. :-\

I'm glad you posted.  I tried one of those vests a couple of years ago and was miserable in it.  I live in Houston and having it cling to me was worse than not having it on.

I ride all summer in our heat and humidity.  I'm not going to say I like it, but I would rather sweat a little than not ride.  I wear mesh jacket, pants and gloves.  I also like short windshields anyway, to that works in my favor. 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline curly

« Reply #41 on: June 11, 2011, 06:16:44 AM »
What we need is someone here to come up with a motorcycle cool suit like the Nascar guys have. It circulates cool water around your body to keep you cool. A simple one connect hook-up for ease of use, a carbon fiber compressor that weighs mere ounces, and keep the cost for the whole set- around $100 for us frugal types :P

Seriously though, If I'm on tour I drink plenty of water and just suck it up and go. If I am around the house and it's face melt hot I just take the car with cold A/C. Besides there's plenty of riding to do during the other three seasons.
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #42 on: June 11, 2011, 08:09:17 AM »
nuff said

Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: June 11, 2011, 09:47:13 AM »
I'm going throught the AZ heat next month and will cross the senora desert in Levi 505's
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2011, 10:56:40 AM »
Nice avatar ScottP, I went into a deep stare for about 5 minutes and had to scroll back through this thread to try and remember what the topic was...  ;D

Offline ninjawarrior1400

• "There is no second place winner in a gunfight."
« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2011, 11:04:08 AM »
50 degrees outside at 90mph on the C-14 works well for me~

Ninja
Ninjawarrior

Offline MrFurious

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2011, 11:58:12 AM »
The cooling vests work great and are a must have for riding in the sweltering heat of summer IMO.  Another item I like to use is a Schampa CoolSkin Skull Cap (or similar) under my helmet to absorb/wick away sweat and heat. 

Also found a cool (literally) helmet last night that should be available here in the U.S. next year - the Caberg Ego.  It has a huge vent on top that can be open or closed and flows a ton of air....kind of like a sunroof for your skid-lid.  My only real concern though would be whether or not the large mesh pattern of the vent would result in a polka-dot sunburn on the top of my head since I usually have a buzz cut. 

Jim B.
COG #9642
2009 C14 - Black - Non-ABS
Insanity is not as easy as I make it look!

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #47 on: June 12, 2011, 07:07:34 AM »
I tried one of those vests a couple of years ago and was miserable in it.  I live in Houston and having it cling to me was worse than not having it on.

The cooling vests work great and are a must have for riding in the sweltering heat of summer IMO.

I have not tried one, so I certainly am not going to disagree.  But I  believe the effectiveness an comfort of such an evaporative vest will depend on the relative humidity in the area it is being used and the design.  There really is credence in the old "it's not the heat, it's the humidity".   There appears to be two designs- one that gets the user wet, and the other that tries to isolate the water from touching the user.  Based on the limited research I did, I expect the more expensive ones that isolate the wetness from the user would be far more comfortable...  especially if the humidity is higher.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #48 on: June 12, 2011, 07:18:10 AM »
The cooling vests work great and are a must have for riding in the sweltering heat of summer IMO.  Another item I like to use is a Schampa CoolSkin Skull Cap (or similar) under my helmet to absorb/wick away sweat and heat. 

Also found a cool (literally) helmet last night that should be available here in the U.S. next year - the Caberg Ego.  It has a huge vent on top that can be open or closed and flows a ton of air....kind of like a sunroof for your skid-lid.  My only real concern though would be whether or not the large mesh pattern of the vent would result in a polka-dot sunburn on the top of my head since I usually have a buzz cut. 

That's a nice looking lid!

Caberg Ego Helmet
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #49 on: June 12, 2011, 07:36:36 AM »

Also found a cool (literally) helmet last night that should be available here in the U.S. next year - the Caberg Ego.  It has a huge vent on top that can be open or closed and flows a ton of air....kind of like a sunroof for your skid-lid.

Although interesting, that helmet design won't get a SNELL rating (which, to me, means it is not a real helmet).  From the review, it is unclear if it could even get DOT approval!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline slickcdb2000

« Reply #50 on: June 12, 2011, 09:35:02 AM »
Depends on how much money you got!!!  This would be nice here in Louisiana!!!

http://www.mscooling.com/activecooling

Offline wlselph

« Reply #51 on: June 12, 2011, 07:00:14 PM »
Try an LD Comfortwear shirt soaked in water before you ride. Best thing ever for summer riding!

YoDoc

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2011, 07:18:26 PM »

Ug, today it was 99.2 degrees this afternoon....  It is freaking Spring??!?!!   This is Virginia, not flipping Texas!!  I am certainly NOT going to/did not ride.

That's not Texas! It was 103 the other day! THAT'S Texas!

Offline kawasherpa

« Reply #53 on: June 12, 2011, 08:14:57 PM »
Simple, move to Wyoming!

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #54 on: June 13, 2011, 11:48:24 AM »
That's not Texas! It was 103 the other day! THAT'S Texas!

Texas!?
It was 103 on the Jersey Shore on Thursday!
Are the Concours 14 heat output contributing to global warming???
 :-\
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline gflint

« Reply #55 on: June 13, 2011, 12:59:54 PM »
Fresh snow on the hills around Missoula the other day.  Warming up to the mid 60's today if the rain stops.  High temp this year has been about 75.  Can't go east because the freeway is flooded.  Can't go west because of slush on the pass.  Can't go south because of snow on the pass.  Can't go north because it is just too darned cold and windy.  I am not worried about staying cool.  I am shopping for heated grips and an electric vest so I can go for a ride.  I am still waiting for summer.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline roadie1951

« Reply #56 on: June 13, 2011, 07:36:05 PM »
I don't think about it!   ;D

I just did a ride up to Wash., DC from Atlanta for Memorial Day.  I had a couple of 350 mile days when the temp was 93 & 95 degrees.  I alternated the windshield up enough to get quiet, then down all the say to cool off.  Vents wide open on my Olympia AST and a Camelback under a cargo net on my back seat luggage to keep hydrated. 

Tried cooling vests and didn't think they were worth the hassle.

Seriously, I just don't dwell on it and I get along fine. 

Offline klrstix

« Reply #57 on: June 13, 2011, 09:17:37 PM »
Riding in the Summer in Louisiana can be a test of your dedication to riding...   When necessary, I use this.. 

http://www.coolwingrider.com
Only those that see the invisible can do the impossible..

Offline mkorn

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2011, 05:25:00 AM »
I wear a mesh jacket, MX gloves, visor part open and the shield down.
but hot here in Michigan is only a couple days a year.
When its over 100 i wimp out and drive the cage for my 60 mile commute.
2009 C14 ABS
2002 750 Nighthawk (sold)
2006 DRz 400s

Offline Bourne2Ride

« Reply #59 on: June 14, 2011, 09:13:51 AM »
I recently purchased a mesh jacket myself. The Tour Master Sonora Air Jacket.
http://www.tourmaster.com/xcart/catalog/Sonora-Air-Jacket-p-302_3.html

It kept me cool running at 75 MPH on the Interstate in 90+ degree weather.
Save the Connie and Save the world!
- Heroes