Author Topic: How do you stay cool on bike  (Read 26319 times)

Offline bhodge10

How do you stay cool on bike
« on: June 09, 2011, 04:25:29 PM »
I've got an 08 that I bought last fall. So this is the first time riding in the hot weather. How do you all stay cool? I've got a cee Bailey ultra tour and I do ride with a bike jacket. At screens lowest position, the air hits me in face but man my chest gets warm pretty quick. Would appreciate any tips.

Son of Pappy

Re: How do you stay cool on bike
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 04:31:37 PM »
Evapo vest, like AC, only cooler :D  Dont forget to take it off before the sun dips or else you'll be wondering why your teeth are chattering.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 04:32:05 PM »
If its really hot I use a wet t-shirt under my Joe Rocket Phoenix mesh jacket. I just stop every 30 min or so and get it wet again. They do make a vest that you soak that works under a jacket like that but have never tried it. Same principal as the wet t-shirt.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 04:49:50 PM »
How do you all stay cool?

I wish I knew.  I thought I would DIE yesterday when there was a traffic jam and I had to sit/creep in 95 ambient (probably 99 over the pavement) for 30 minutes in direct sunlight with motor running and full safety gear (and it was a mesh jacket).

I keep wondering if I would get a ticket if I rode on the shoulders in such cases.  I have come close to total heat exhaustion before- certainly that would be a unsafe thing while operating a motor vehicle.

Ug, today it was 99.2 degrees this afternoon....  It is freaking Spring??!?!!   This is Virginia, not flipping Texas!!  I am certainly NOT going to/did not ride.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 04:58:39 PM »
Lose the big front barn-door for a start. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 05:21:42 PM »
Evapo vest, like AC, only cooler :D  Dont forget to take it off before the sun dips or else you'll be wondering why your teeth are chattering.

Local Honda shop sells these and I was considering one. A friend says it really works and it seems you agree. Really worth it? If so, I'll pick one up tomorrow.

Heat and more heat with no end in sight here in Texas.

Offline Shoe

« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 05:25:30 PM »
My Summer windscreen is the stock windscreen. I wear a Joe Rocket Phoenix jacket try to keep moving. I ride an 08.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline Jeremy Mitchell

• COG#9899
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2011, 05:56:08 PM »

I cut down the stock windscreen and I will soak a shirt to help cool off.  Other than that I just make sure I keep my Camalbak filled up with cool water throughout the day when I am out on a long ride.
Keeping the economy going, one tank of fuel and two tires at a time.

Offline crashdb

• 2010 C14
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2011, 06:01:22 PM »
I wish I knew.  I thought I would DIE yesterday when there was a traffic jam and I had to sit/creep in 95 ambient (probably 99 over the pavement) for 30 minutes in direct sunlight with motor running and full safety gear (and it was a mesh jacket).

I keep wondering if I would get a ticket if I rode on the shoulders in such cases.  I have come close to total heat exhaustion before- certainly that would be a unsafe thing while operating a motor vehicle.

Ug, today it was 99.2 degrees this afternoon....  It is freaking Spring??!?!!   This is Virginia, not flipping Texas!!  I am certainly NOT going to/did not ride.

I've been commuting every day this week (I'm in Woodbridge) in an Aerostich Roaccrafter.  Talk about toasty...  Today, I just left my shirt and tie off and put them on once I got into the office.  I can't wait to get my car back on the road....
I feel like a new person!

Offline Bradley14

« Reply #9 on: June 09, 2011, 06:30:50 PM »
bhodge10- Do you have the exterior heat deflectors? They make a big difference.

mesh jacket/mesh pants + other suggestions.  it is not easy to stay cool on this bike due to fairing blocking the wind and large engine.
Just because you're paranoid does not mean that someone is not out to get you.

Offline Awaz

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 09, 2011, 08:22:14 PM »
Definitely put the stock shield back on and put it on the lowest setting. I am also searching for stuff to keep cool. Normally I just rider around in my cruiser.
2016 Ducati Scrambler
2008 C14

Offline JetJock

• 2010 Concours in wicked fast BLUE
« Reply #11 on: June 09, 2011, 09:21:10 PM »
Strange as this may sound, I go running in the heat on a mostly daily basis. It was 96 when I headed out the door today. Your body needs to get acclimatized to the heat and since I run and race all during the summer, I find I'm not too bothered by heat while on the bike.

Obviously this ain't gonna work for everybody. 

Offline PH14

« Reply #12 on: June 09, 2011, 09:52:39 PM »
I don't use the stock windshield but I didn't get a big one. I have one of the smaller CalSci windshields so I still get air. Be sure to stay hydrated, that will help some. I also have a mesh jacket by Joe Rocket for the Summer. They are nice. I have also toured in an old V-Pilot by Heine Gericke as well. The cooling vest is a great thing if you are in the heat a lot.

Offline fogcutter

« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 07:24:48 AM »
I've been commuting every day this week (I'm in Woodbridge) in an Aerostich Roaccrafter.  Talk about toasty...  Today, I just left my shirt and tie off and put them on once I got into the office.  I can't wait to get my car back on the road....

Same here...commuting from Woodbridge.  The morning ride was ok but I was amazed by the waves of heat blasting on the way home.  Using the Joe Rocket mesh jacket.

Offline Curt

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 07:34:00 AM »
In the summer I use a stock shield that has been cut down 4 inches on the '08. One of the interesting things that I discovered is that if I use it in the down position it draws heat upward against the backs of my thighs. Raise the shield two inches and that heat goes away. Of course this only applies if you are moving. Sitting still on any bike in the 90 degree sun and it is going to be brutal.

Offline Shoe

« Reply #15 on: June 10, 2011, 07:44:28 AM »
....... I've got a cee Bailey ultra tour.........

You should use a short windscreen for the Summer.
Eat corn. Drill for oil.

2008 Concours, 2010 Goldwing

Offline bhodge10

« Reply #16 on: June 10, 2011, 07:50:26 AM »
I wish I had the stock shield, I bought the bike used last fall and it came with this windshield.

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #17 on: June 10, 2011, 08:39:56 AM »
Mesh gear only works when you are moving of course but the problem is, when it's really warm out and you are moving, the mesh is also dehydrating you at a much faster rate, so make sure to keep the fluids going in you.  Before going on my long summer ride, I will put the stock '09 screen back on instead of the monster one I have on there now (don't know the brand as it came with the bike). If it really is hot out (over 95 for me) and I am riding more than 30-50 minutes, I will leave the outer shell on the jacket (keep the mesh covered up) as I don't want the drain on my system.

I do know guys that have used the gel evaporation vests and they LOVE them. I will have to get one for the long rides. I can't remember where they got theirs.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline PH14

« Reply #18 on: June 10, 2011, 09:16:19 AM »
Motorcycle Closeouts have them for $29. http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/mesh+motorcycle+jackets/fieldsheer_iceberg+cooling+vest New Enough also carries them.

Offline Bigcat

« Reply #19 on: June 10, 2011, 09:51:00 AM »
A cooling vest is hands down the best option I have found for keeping cool on our all day group rides in the heat. I picked up one of these from one of our local shops but you can find them here. http://coolbandanas.com/vests/coolingvestindex.htm. I was amazed at how much it dropped my core temperature, was much more alert and was almost cold for the first hour or so in 95+ degree weather ;D. I also freeze a couple of waters and gatorades the night before and they stay nice and cold when I need them later.
09 C-14 abs
98 CBR1100XX