Author Topic: How do you stay cool on bike  (Read 25951 times)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
Re: How do you stay cool on bike
« Reply #20 on: June 10, 2011, 10:20:08 AM »
Motorcycle Closeouts have them for $29. http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/mesh+motorcycle+jackets/fieldsheer_iceberg+cooling+vest New Enough also carries them.

Thanks for the link! Just ordered one!
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #21 on: June 10, 2011, 11:34:09 AM »
I'll soak the inside of my helmet, also have an evapodama kerchief from aerostich. That works great as you can put ice in it and it slowly melts over a few hours

Offline okxd45

« Reply #22 on: June 10, 2011, 11:51:45 AM »
I cut down the stock windscreen and I will soak a shirt to help cool off.  Other than that I just make sure I keep my Camalbak filled up with cool water throughout the day when I am out on a long ride.

I'm leaving for Air Guard duty today after work and will also be using the Camelbak as I'm sure it will be around 100 again here in OK.  I've got the elixir tablets (electrolytes) as well.  Very important to get back what you lose.  Did a long bicycle ride on a hot day and drank just water (probably a gallon).  I felt awful for the next 36hrs!
Jeff
"Look like the innocent flower, but be the serpent under 't." Macbeth Quote (Act I, Scene V).
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be as shrewd as snakes and as innocent as doves." (Matthew 10:16 NIV)

Offline gflint

« Reply #23 on: June 10, 2011, 12:41:04 PM »
Nothing really seems that hot any more after 120 - 140 degrees with 50 lbs of body armor and ammo in Iraq.  It is all perspective.

The trick is drink lots of water, a quart an hour is a good starting point, and perspective.  As you sit there at a stop light in traffic roasting alive, having to **** because of all the water you drank, enjoying the smell of exhaust, just realize that it is very unlikely you will die from heat.

Sorry, three wars and PTSD are kicking my ass lately.
Keep it simple - if no one has shot at me or tried to blow me up it is a good day.

Offline curly

« Reply #24 on: June 10, 2011, 12:54:27 PM »
Those cooling vests work great in hot environments with low humidity. Here in the south with high humidity the water doesn't evaporate and mixes with your sweat which in turn just makes you stinky, wet and hot all at the same time.

However, trying anything beats trying nothing. :-\
Confidence is the feeling you have before you realize the full measure of the situation.

'09 in Black.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #25 on: June 10, 2011, 01:02:39 PM »
Wow! You guys are doing a lot to beat the heat. I worked outside all day on Wednesday in Mass. The temp was 94 degrees there. I live 70 miles or so North in Maine. I got home it was 68 degrees. It was 90 degrees 15 miles inland from my house.
I just go faster when it gets real hot out. Every 20mph kills a few degrees.
Joel from Maine.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: June 10, 2011, 01:46:14 PM »
This guys shows how to stay cool as ice on a bike  ;D

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline cRAsH

« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2011, 01:51:46 PM »
Icon armored vest over a t-shirt, fingerless gloves, $700 helmet, sparkly new pair of Air Jordans,  and the left hand on the hip pose.  8)
rokhaul is a lying scam artist

Offline AirplaneTim

« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2011, 02:29:19 PM »
Motorcycle superstore is running a great deal on Pheonix 5.0 jackets right now, only $151.  I just ordered two, one for me and one for the wife.  Also plan on putting the short stock screen back on. 

With 100 degree weather already creeping up, I'm thinking I need to figure out how to spray cold water at my face while riding!

Offline stlheadake

• Probably not my smartest day...
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2011, 02:56:00 PM »
+1 on soaking my shirt.  I wear a wet shirt under my jacket.  I NEED to pick up a camel back. 
What do you call those three wheeled Goldwings?....Chicken Wings

08 C14 WOW what a bike!
00 XR650r Hare Scrambler

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2011, 02:58:35 PM »
Motorcycle Closeouts have them for $29. http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/mesh+motorcycle+jackets/fieldsheer_iceberg+cooling+vest New Enough also carries them.

Thanks! Saved me $20 over the local price.

Offline PH14

« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2011, 03:24:57 PM »
Nothing really seems that hot any more after 120 - 140 degrees with 50 lbs of body armor and ammo in Iraq.  It is all perspective.

The trick is drink lots of water, a quart an hour is a good starting point, and perspective.  As you sit there at a stop light in traffic roasting alive, having to **** because of all the water you drank, enjoying the smell of exhaust, just realize that it is very unlikely you will die from heat.

I can agree and I thank you for your service!

I will say that being cooler while riding is safer than being too hot. Most here aren't conditioned for it and the heat can cause a host of problems for them. I often ride 800+ mile days in high heat, 90 and above along with humidity and if you aren't careful it can fatigue you to the point where you are unsafe. Plenty of fluids are important as are proper clothing. I too use a mesh jacket. I don't want to go without one so I got a mesh one. I am planning on adding a cooling vest as well. It is a cheap and easy way to make a difference in comfort on a long hot day.

Offline alexx45

• 2009 Black C14
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2011, 03:33:39 PM »
I can't believe this is here just as I'm preparing for a long trip. Just ordered one of the evap vests. I'll see how it well it works. Also using a mesh jacket, mesh pants, & I am going to try some armored jeans. Will be on the rode for a week from 6/18 thru 6/25. I know last year when we rode through Arkansas there were times I was glad it rained. Should be fun. Onward to the dragon....
Life is good.... At least from my perspective.
2009 Concours 14
2005 Suzuki Bandit

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2011, 03:45:36 PM »

:goodpost: and thanks for your service!!!!!
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ScottP

« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2011, 03:52:32 PM »
I had to go to Bethesda yesterday instead of the usual Falls Church (from Woodbridge).  90 minutes of 10-15mph in 96 degrees.  Wtf was I thinking, I should've taken the Metro.

I've been commuting every day this week (I'm in Woodbridge) in an Aerostich Roaccrafter.  Talk about toasty...  Today, I just left my shirt and tie off and put them on once I got into the office.  I can't wait to get my car back on the road....

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #35 on: June 10, 2011, 04:15:29 PM »

Thank you sir
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Flathead

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2011, 04:56:55 PM »
+100 On the THANK YOU!!

Offline booger

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2011, 06:35:34 PM »
Go fast ;D

Offline Tremainiac

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2011, 07:26:18 PM »
Icon armored vest over a t-shirt, fingerless gloves, $700 helmet, sparkly new pair of Air Jordans,  and the left hand on the hip pose.  8)
;
 :rotflmao:
Hey mister, my sister has a Harley 'just' like yours!!
2009 Concours 14, 2003 Triumph Thunderbird Sport
1980 Honda CM400 street tracker, Grubee Skyhawk

Offline gpzrocker

« Reply #39 on: June 11, 2011, 05:34:23 AM »
For the smaller people (I noticed that the small and med was out of stock) try this:

http://www.soundrider.com/archive/products/techniche_evaporative_cooling_vest.htm

I am in WNC too and will be trying one out next week: yesterday on a one hour ride in 90+ temps I felt like I was just pulled out of a hot clothes dryer. Be interested in seeing if this helps, will write up soon.