Author Topic: Any rumored changes for 14?  (Read 36566 times)

Offline Cuda

Re: Any rumored changes for 14?
« Reply #60 on: March 27, 2013, 01:08:24 PM »
DON"T FEED THE TROOL
 I was dead set on  low 1200RT 2011 left over till I drove the ZG,
 Power can't campare no way no how , now with the ZX exhaust and Gulh flash the  1600 is a DOG.
A POODLE with a fancy hair cut  ;D
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline sherob

• Arena
Rob
Brighton, CO... missing Texas!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2013, 04:20:41 PM »
Latest article in Motorcyclist says the K16GT "dominates the class is dynamically superior to the FJR, C14, and new Trophy".

Advertising dollars speak loudly.

However, if someone asked me which bike I would rather do a 500-1000 mile day on, or have in my garage, it's the K16 hands down. 

If price (purchase cost, maintenance cost, repair cost) were no object, I am guessing most C14 owners wouldn't think twice for trading to a K16....  I would, myself.  And I like the C14.  But I still say the K16 doesn't "dominate."
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2013, 04:24:19 PM »
You missed a lot of important features, by picking and choosing only what is important to you.

No, I went right through all the features I could find that the K16 has that the C14 doesn't.  They actually share the MAJORITY of features (ABS, temp sensor, shaft drive, 6 speed, EFI, VVT, locking glove, locking panniers, electronic theft deterrents, electric windshield, shield memory, aux ports, trip meters, range meters, 4VPC, traction control, TPS, center stand, ECO modes, hydrolic clutch, aluminum frame, shift indicator, digital bus, variable heated grips, volt meter, etc, etc, etc).  I asked if I missed anything- you can list something if you like and I would add it to the list.

Again, the value of the K16 is relative to what the buyer wants in terms of features. Many of which, just are not even an option on the aftermarket for a C14.

Some, not many.

You don't think the K16 is worth the cost. Enough said.

Well, I don't... but that doesn't mean the K16 isn't highly desirable and top in features.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2013, 04:43:26 PM »
I not a gadget guy. The new beemer is overkill for me. This 08 C14 will probably be the last bike I buy. I'll likely run out about the same time as my renewable unlimited milage warranty.  :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #66 on: March 27, 2013, 05:14:05 PM »
This 08 C14 will probably be the last bike I buy. I'll likely run out about the same time as my renewable unlimited mileage warranty.  :)

Ooh, that sounds so..... depressing

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #67 on: March 27, 2013, 05:20:18 PM »
Just reality. Got what maybe 20 years left and impossible to tell how many of them good.  :chugbeer:

Offline eng943

« Reply #68 on: March 27, 2013, 06:23:20 PM »
No, I went right through all the features I could find that the K16 has that the C14 doesn't.  They actually share the MAJORITY of features (ABS, temp sensor, shaft drive, 6 speed, EFI, VVT, locking glove, locking panniers, electronic theft deterrents, electric windshield, shield memory, aux ports, trip meters, range meters, 4VPC, traction control, TPS, center stand, ECO modes, hydrolic clutch, aluminum frame, shift indicator, digital bus, variable heated grips, volt meter, etc, etc, etc).  I asked if I missed anything- you can list something if you like and I would add it to the list.

Some, not many.

Well, I don't... but that doesn't mean the K16 isn't highly desirable and top in features.

Plenty of features you left out.

Adaptive headlights
Central locking
self cancelling turn signals
Electronic Suspension
HID lighting
Passenger power port

That is just off the top of my head, and represent some significant costs. The only thing coherent in your entire rant against the K16 is that you do not see the value in it, which I don't really begrudge.

You're right though, the K16 is tops in features, and by all accounts from published comparisons, tops among competitors in the ST segment.

To my point, if BMW is so overpriced, why is it a new Trophy is not that far off from an RT in price in spite of Triumph entering the market and being forced to be more competitive to buy market share?

Do we start another thread for how overpriced you think the Trophy is?

2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline eng943

« Reply #69 on: March 27, 2013, 06:32:00 PM »
How does the K16 rate against the C14 at Consumer Reports, I wonder.... hmmmmmmm.

http://bmwmcmag.com/2013/03/consumer-reports-finds-bmws-less-reliable-than-japanese-motorcycles/?utm_source=rss&utm_medium=rss&utm_campaign=consumer-reports-finds-bmws-less-reliable-than-japanese-motorcycles

Be interesting to know what the average mileage on the bikes was. Interesting that BMW had a higher percentage of satisfaction than Yamaha or Kawasaki. Hmmm
2017 C14 - AST Risers / Peg Lowering kit / mccruise /Garmin 595/Shoodaben MR / Area P / Kawi Touring Seat.
Second Bike 2017 BMW R12R

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #70 on: March 27, 2013, 06:44:59 PM »
Dollar per dollar nobody can compete with the Japanese Quality,performance,reliabilty,and just plain fun.............
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Madcow

« Reply #71 on: March 27, 2013, 06:45:29 PM »
Be interesting to know what the average mileage on the bikes was. Interesting that BMW had a higher percentage of satisfaction than Yamaha or Kawasaki. Hmmm
It's probably because most People that ride Japanese bikes aren't as brand loyal as Harley or BMW riders accept maybe Goldwing riders.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #72 on: March 27, 2013, 06:47:24 PM »
That's an easy one.  BMW shares the same passion for a brand most similar to Harley riders.  Not a knock BTW.  I would say from long observation that the BMW crowd wears the best gear on the road.  I can also say that in large BMW riders need more training to get what they paid so dearly for, but to be fair, that is most of the two wheeled population.
I would like to see a K16 out on the track same time I was there, we'd both have a great time doing what riders do, ride :)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #73 on: March 27, 2013, 06:51:12 PM »
Plenty of features you left out.

Adaptive headlights
Electronic Suspension
HID lighting

I specifically addressed all three of the above in the previous postings  You can't add the first two to the C14 and the last (HID) I included as a mod.

Central locking
self cancelling turn signals
Passenger power port

Of those, I could have added power port and maybe the turn signals- another maybe $100.  Central locking can't do much about.  So that is now 1 additional  thing that can't be added to your list of "many" things that can't be added to the C14.

That is just off the top of my head, and represent some significant costs. The only thing coherent in your entire rant against the K16 is that you do not see the value in it, which I don't really begrudge.

So because you don't like what I am saying, you are labeling it "incoherent"?  It is OK to disagree, really it is; but you don't have to be insulting about it.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #74 on: March 27, 2013, 07:18:12 PM »
CUT the chase Troll
STATUS SYMBOLS
Yeah BMW HD
I remember after high school , the screw balls had to get HD's so they could become COOL ::)
Same with lot of BMW folks,more PRESTIGE , I've wanted a BMW for a long time till I started to Google  problems with the RT 1200 try it out $$ , I've always had Honda , Yamaha bikes this is my first Kaw.
Hey you want your Prestige go for It , I'm sick of your constant banter 
BMW this BMW that go get that dream bike and let us enjoy our Jap crap.
You see I do my best to never buy Jap stuff ,  my Dad was Port Master in Subic Bay during the last part of WW2 and he had some NASTY storys about what the Japs did to American prisoners of WAR, The DEATH march comes to mind . I've got  German heritage and yes I do believe many german goods are high  quality , But man oh man you NEED that dream BMW , go trade the Jap in TOMORROW PLEASE.
STATUS SYMBOL...
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Conrad

« Reply #75 on: March 28, 2013, 04:24:49 AM »
Just reality. Got what maybe 20 years left and impossible to tell how many of them good.  :chugbeer:

Seriously Gary?  :o

I believe that you and I are about the same age and I'm sure that I have at least 50 good years left.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #76 on: March 28, 2013, 04:44:48 AM »
Family history on both sides strongly suggests having affairs in order by mid seventies. I can't imagine I'm special enough to beat those odds.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #77 on: March 28, 2013, 07:11:10 PM »
What's the chances of major changes to the C14 over the next couple of years?

The odds are actually fairly high now.  The C14 has been mostly unchanged for 6 model years, and completely unchanged for 4.  They started collecting info from owners about what they would want changed, several months ago.  With the release of the updated FJR, it will probably force Kawasaki to respond.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #78 on: March 28, 2013, 09:23:12 PM »
What's the chances of major changes to the C14 over the next couple of years?

I'm thinking of upgrading from an 09 to a left over 2012. I got a good deal when I bought the 09 and the local dealer still has a 2012 he wants to move so I could be sitting on a new bike without dropping too much cash. I am happy with my 09 but feel now is the best time value wise (considering what I paid) to upgrade but I don't want to see a new C14 with longer range or nicer features come out in the next couple of years.

My only complaint that is'nt fixed with the 2012 is the fuel range so that's my main concern with upgrading now instead of waiting for the next generation.

So 200 miles or more on a tank isn't good?  :o
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #79 on: March 29, 2013, 04:08:46 AM »
Even with my Russell seat, I find I need to stop at least every 100 miles or so..  I think the fuel range is fine, myself.  However, if one has been used to longer ranges in other bikes before the C14, I can see where one might think it lacking.  I had a C10 before my C14 and the range on that bike was very good, although I very rarely went from tank to tank.  My 08 suits me as is.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.