Author Topic: Do slip on cans really give more power?  (Read 20262 times)

Offline Glennn

• Metric Rider
Re: Do slip on cans really give more power?
« Reply #40 on: February 07, 2013, 01:26:21 PM »
The monster OEM is back on the bike.  I was getting increased vibrations from the AP.  I have to figure out what's going on and it appears to be only on the right side of the bike.  I can still feel it with the OEM but not as bad as the AP.  Too cold here to do much T/S with it now.

Im getting increased vibes from my dual TwoBros. Im putting it down to no mid point mounting of the exhaust to the bike anymore and plan to fab some kind of bracket. I need to do something as i am getting tingling back in my hands after shortish rides.
2012 Midnight Sapphire Blue 1400GTR
1999 Yamaha Road Star
Canberra, Australia
CDA #390

Offline booger

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2013, 07:10:14 PM »
Oil did someone mention oil?  Dino will result in no gain, synthetic blend is good for a %10 gain, and full synthtetic is good for %25.  If you are feeling lucky try Scamsoil, it's been advertised to boost performance by %56.9 and never needs changed :o

Nope, dino oil gives me a minimum of 10% power increase.  Just the "freshness" of new oil  causes it.

A good waxing gives me at least a 20% power increase.

I think I am getting ready to buy a new battery this season.  Minimum of 10 mph added to the top end.

Offline Cuda

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2013, 07:13:17 PM »
I went on a twelve hour ride with no tingle in hands, with two brother duals, I do have grip puppies and wear gloves. I did 80mph  or more most of the time . My right hand hurt because of stress , same grip for 12 hrs sucks . Mileage  sucks over 80mph , unless your going down a mountain.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2013, 09:52:05 PM by Cuda »
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: February 08, 2013, 08:30:20 AM »
Nope, dino oil gives me a minimum of 10% power increase.  Just the "freshness" of new oil  causes it.

A good waxing gives me at least a 20% power increase.

I think I am getting ready to buy a new battery this season.  Minimum of 10 mph added to the top end.

:rotflmao: If you really want performance boost try changing the blinker fluid ;)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #44 on: February 08, 2013, 08:34:24 AM »
:rotflmao: If you really want performance boost try changing the blinker fluid ;)

Get you a couple of red R stickers too. Depending on your other 'mods' and the size of the red R you could see as much as 10 horsepower increase.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #45 on: February 08, 2013, 09:30:15 AM »
Conversely, you could paint the bike black and lose 25%... :P
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #46 on: February 08, 2013, 09:40:14 AM »

Read more: http://www.superstreetbike.com/tested/0802_sbkp_slip_on_exhausts/viewall.html#ixzz2KEumQg4Y

The most power any slip on got was 5 hp. Some showed virtually no change in power.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #47 on: February 08, 2013, 09:57:09 AM »
Conversely, you could paint the bike black and lose 25%... :P

:o   :battle:

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: February 08, 2013, 10:04:49 AM »
The most power any slip on got was 5 hp. Some showed virtually no change in power.

If I do add a slip on it will be for looks, weight and sound. I just don't want to loose any power or smoothness.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #49 on: February 08, 2013, 10:26:45 AM »
If I do add a slip on it will be for looks, weight and sound. I just don't want to loose any power or smoothness.

Go for it!

[smg id=421]

[smg id=422]

[smg id=423]

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline connie14boy

« Reply #50 on: February 08, 2013, 10:42:14 AM »
No one here mentions torque, just h.p... When I switched to the V&H CS-1, I noticed a small loss in the seat-of the-pants dyno below 3,000 rpm, but above 4,000 it wants to rip. Kawasaki did their best to match the stock pipe and fuel mapping for torque (including the flies). But, nothing can match the fabulous sound and grunt of that engine above 6,000 with the V&H CS-1 and that ****-eatin' grin that happens every time. I realize now in order to get all the low-end torque back I will have to get Guhl-ed. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. $375.00 seems a lot of loot for that.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #51 on: February 08, 2013, 10:46:54 AM »
Go for it!

I might just do that. Was thinking of a Corbin smuggler but since that's $800 and an Area P Carbon slip on is only $465, the slip on will probably be first. Just have to wait for the boss to forget about the major bucks spend on Horizon ST bars and Corbin seat last year.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #52 on: February 08, 2013, 11:23:39 AM »
No one here mentions torque, just h.p... When I switched to the V&H CS-1, I noticed a small loss in the seat-of the-pants dyno below 3,000 rpm, but above 4,000 it wants to rip. Kawasaki did their best to match the stock pipe and fuel mapping for torque (including the flies). But, nothing can match the fabulous sound and grunt of that engine above 6,000 with the V&H CS-1 and that ****-eatin' grin that happens every time. I realize now in order to get all the low-end torque back I will have to get Guhl-ed. Maybe I will, maybe I won't. $375.00 seems a lot of loot for that.

I am thinking that a Guhl reflash with the stock can would be more rewarding than an after market can with stock tune and flies.

Offline Z71

« Reply #53 on: February 08, 2013, 08:50:32 PM »
Plus, if we're talking about the potato launcher, there's a HUGE weight savings too.    :)

Unfortunately, those meager weight savings are often greatly negated by the huge mass of the whale riding the bike.  ;D

Offline Z71

« Reply #54 on: February 08, 2013, 08:56:28 PM »

Kawasaki must be on meth when designing exhausts for their motorcycles, they lead the pack for the biggest and ugliest out there on average.

You obviously have not seen the stock can on my '09 Suzuki Bandit 1250S.  ::)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #55 on: February 09, 2013, 04:40:34 AM »
Unfortunately, those meager weight savings are often greatly negated by the huge mass of the whale riding the bike.  ;D

This is true but not for all of us.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #56 on: February 09, 2013, 06:28:05 AM »
You know, I didn't realize how heavy the stock can was compared to the Area P until I switched them off.  The stock can is massively heavy.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Z71

« Reply #57 on: February 09, 2013, 06:44:17 AM »
This is true but not for all of us.
Just kidding, recently I saw a couple of Harley riders who were seriously overweight.
Just like their bikes.

Offline booger

« Reply #58 on: February 09, 2013, 09:01:06 AM »
'cuz the OEM is WEIGHTING the bike down so much.  Its like weighted bar ends.....but for the BACK of the bike

If I was concerned about the weight of my bike, I would lose 40 lbs of my gut and get a lot better performance. :D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #59 on: February 09, 2013, 09:03:57 AM »
Just kidding, recently I saw a couple of Harley riders who were seriously overweight.
Just like their bikes.

No, it is a valid point.

Several pounds on a bike as large and heavy as the Concours is lost in the "noise" in the same way that a few hp is lost in the "noise" of the powerful Concours.  If you were racing, then as part of a total "let's go through the bike and spend many thousands trying to shave off every pound and gain every fraction of a hp" strategy makes perfect sense.  On a street bike, it is barely statistically relevant.

For 99+% of bikes (and cars/trucks too), replacing the muffler is 99+% cosmetic (visual & audible) only.  And for many, that cosmetic metric is less for their own direct enjoyment and more for "show" in the same way as a big "R" sticker, 20" rims, blue headlights, cut springs, or a 10" tailpipe.

If one is replacing the muffler because one truly dislikes the look or sound, that's fine.  If it is being done thinking it is going to improve performance in some noticeable way (power or power-to-weight), it is probably a waste of lots of money.  If it is being done just to impress others or prevent ridicule, well....  the money is better spent on some self-affirmation classes.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc