Author Topic: Help In Choosing The Right Concours...  (Read 34805 times)

Offline YtseJam

Help In Choosing The Right Concours...
« on: July 28, 2012, 08:39:13 PM »
Hey all....decided to make the move into the Sport-Touring dark side.;) After looking at several different bikes, I've settled on the Concours. I've been riding for over 35 years, own a few bikes, so this isn't my first ride. I know that I would like a post 2008 model, but am trying to educate myself on potential weaknesses, preferred years..etc. I would rather go used, not too many around! The Concours will be replacing a BMW RT, so any help or direction you can give would be greatly appreciated!

Offline JeffM

Re: Help In Choosing The Right Concours...
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2012, 09:16:45 PM »
If you have the means, keep in mind that Kawasaki redesigned and greatly improved the Concours line using many suggestions from pre '10 owners. I personally would not consider something before 2010.  That being said, there are many very happy pre '10 owners here, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

From '11 on, ABS is standard.

Offline JerBear

« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2012, 09:23:20 PM »
Be carefull of the whole "Dark Side" term no car tires on a Connie.  I have a an 08 and I prefer the styling of the 08-09 to the newer ones.  That is subjective, and you may have a different opinion.  The 08-09 do not have linked brakes and may of may not be an ABS bike.  The 10 and beyond were (I think) there were issues with heat on the legs in the 08-09 that caused the fairing changes, I don't mind it and I always wear boots and pants.  The newer models are moving towards the touring half of sport-touring, adding heated grips, ABS, Traction control, locking storage area, (about the size of what you can fit in your pocket but you lose the center storage) A taller windscreen, linked brakes(a lot of people don't like that change)....I like the Coucours because it is the most sport like in its makeup.  The FJR and ST1300 are too focused on the touring aspect for my liking.  You will need to adjust to the height of the bike but that is the same no matter what year you get.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline C14PAINKILLER

« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2012, 10:11:07 PM »
Be carefull of the whole "Dark Side" term no car tires on a Connie.  I have a an 08 and I prefer the styling of the 08-09 to the newer ones.  That is subjective, and you may have a different opinion.  The 08-09 do not have linked brakes and may of may not be an ABS bike.  The 10 and beyond were (I think) there were issues with heat on the legs in the 08-09 that caused the fairing changes, I don't mind it and I always wear boots and pants.  The newer models are moving towards the touring half of sport-touring, adding heated grips, ABS, Traction control, locking storage area, (about the size of what you can fit in your pocket but you lose the center storage) A taller windscreen, linked brakes(a lot of people don't like that change)....I like the Coucours because it is the most sport like in its makeup.  The FJR and ST1300 are too focused on the touring aspect for my liking.  You will need to adjust to the height of the bike but that is the same no matter what year you get.

Thought the same thought when he mentioned dark side (car tire). I have a '10 so I am biased toward the next gen Connie. But the added features  for the buck did it for me. The FJ and the ST cost more for less. All comes down to how you ride and what you want. If you get a chance to test drive the three, I sure would take it.

Whatever you choose this forum is a great educational archive with a bunch of great people!
2010 PAINKILLER BLUE   COG# 9405
Rides the metal monster, breathing smoke and fire

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2012, 10:17:14 PM »
The Beemer has ABS, so I've gotten used to that. I also looked at the FJR, but the styling and motor made up my mind in favor of the Kawi. There are a few 08's around my area, one with 59k..which is a little high for me, but not too many newer. I'll would rather pay a little more and get what I need to then regret it! I saw a '12 this afternoon, they wanted 16k and some change. The 08's I've seen average from 7500-8500. Let me clarify my "Dark Side" comment, I never thought I would be looking at a touring bike...have Harley's, a Chopper and Sportbikes, so this is all new to me! The BMW is just something to run errands on...not really go on any extended trips.:)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2012, 10:25:44 PM »
Go with a 10+.  It's worth paying a bit more for the improvements.  Stay away from the black bikes, though.  If you're cheap, go with the 08/09s.  You'll get your best deals with them, especially if they are radically farkled out.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Bert

• Arena
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2012, 10:28:45 PM »
If that "A" in your avatar is not Alaska, get a 2010 or later.  The earlier models put off more heat, much more I think.  I went cheap and bought a 2009, but then I live in Oregon.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2012, 10:37:34 PM »
Stay away from the black bikes, though. 

:yikes:

If you're cheap, go with the 08/09s.  You'll get your best deals with them, especially if they are radically farkled out.

Not sure I've seen one of those Sparky...

Happy hunting YJ, check out the black 12 I posted in the classifieds...  :thumbs: :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Offline JeffM

« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2012, 11:09:37 PM »
Ytsejam,

If you're a Costco member they'll negotiate a new Connie for 13.6k plus fees I believe.

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #9 on: July 29, 2012, 02:13:30 AM »
Ytsejam,

If you're a Costco member they'll negotiate a new Connie for 13.6k plus fees I believe.

Might be time to get a Costco membership! That's a pretty good price...

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2012, 02:15:29 AM »
If that "A" in your avatar is not Alaska, get a 2010 or later.  The earlier models put off more heat, much more I think.  I went cheap and bought a 2009, but then I live in Oregon.

It's Auburn Alabama, but stuck here in California...so heat is DEFINATELY an issue out here. I appreciate all the input! Looks like the 10's and above are worth the extra scratch....

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2012, 02:19:27 AM »
Happy hunting YJ, check out the black 12 I posted in the classifieds...  :thumbs: :thumbs: :chugbeer:

Nice bike! Unfortunately the bike nazi's out here require all out of state vehicles have at least 7500 mile before they can be registered here.:(

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2012, 04:43:33 AM »
If you have the means, keep in mind that Kawasaki redesigned and greatly improved the Concours line using many suggestions from pre '10 owners. I personally would not consider something before 2010.  That being said, there are many very happy pre '10 owners here, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

redesigned? greatly improved? you mean close 2 gaps in the fairing and raise the mirrors by an irrelevant amount to a just-as-useless-as-before position? Wow. Just: wow.
Don't take it personally. I just don't want somebody dismissing a previous year model and paying a premium for something that offers next to naught over an '08 or '09 model. And yes, I tried it extensively. Bags still well on sight and no heat on the thighs, just like my '08.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2012, 06:01:42 AM »

redesigned? greatly improved?

I agree.  I would call the 2nd gen "refined."  There are about a dozen nice improvements.

you mean close 2 gaps in the fairing and raise the mirrors by an irrelevant amount to a just-as-useless-as-before position?

Well, a lot more than that:  And adjustable heated grips, and a taller windshield, and a white backlighting on the dash instead of that horrible yellow, and linked brakes, and traction control, and ABS standard (on 11+), and handlebar computer controls, and an electronically locking glovebox, and a heat shield on the exhaust pipe, and a slightly refined muffler, and an improved seat (cushion), and a monotone seat cover, and ECO mode for fuel savings, and additional dash display features, and a small passive RFID spare fob.  I am sure I missed something.

I would absolutely go for a 2nd gen if possible, but it is not like the 1st gen is a totally different bike- they are the exact same engine, top-end, injection, height, steering, frame, wheels, suspension, drivetrain, etc.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #14 on: July 29, 2012, 06:06:08 AM »
I agree.  I would call the 2nd gen "refined."  There are about a dozen nice improvements.

Well, a lot more than that:  And adjustable heated grips, and a taller windshield, and a white backlighting on the dash instead of that horrible yellow, and linked brakes, and traction control, and ABS standard (on 11+), and handlebar computer controls, and an electronically locking glovebox, and a heat shield on the exhaust pipe, and a slightly refined muffler, and an improved seat (cushion), and a monotone seat cover, and ECO mode for fuel savings, and additional dash display features, and a small passive RFID spare fob.  I am sure I missed something.

I would absolutely go for a 2nd gen if possible, but it is not like the 1st gen is a totally different bike- they are the exact same engine, top-end, injection, height, steering, frame, wheels, suspension, drivetrain, etc.

To hear most guys talking about the linked brakes, it's hardly an improvement.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: July 29, 2012, 07:37:22 AM »
To hear most guys talking about the linked brakes, it's hardly an improvement.

Could be either.  Safe to call it "a change".
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #16 on: July 29, 2012, 07:39:32 AM »
In fact, the original Kwak C14 design team was dead set against linked brakes.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline OregonJim

• Think Blue
« Reply #17 on: July 29, 2012, 09:35:15 AM »
Jam: I too made the switch from an RT (2004 1150) to the Connie (2012). You didn't ask, but here are the most striking differences I noticed: 1. Weight: The Connie is much heavier and carries its mass higher. 2. Brakes: No more twitchy "power" brakes, thankgod. 3. Engine; Whole new level of power, and the Connie doesn't shake at stoplights. 4. Transmission: Lower first gear makes Connie much easier to launch from a stop. 5. Handling: RT is nimbler, easier to flick, but Connie is every bit as steady once you muscle it over.

Jim
Jim
2012 C14

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #18 on: July 29, 2012, 10:52:35 AM »
If you have the means, keep in mind that Kawasaki redesigned and greatly improved the Concours line using many suggestions from pre '10 owners. I personally would not consider something before 2010. That being said, there are many very happy pre '10 owners here, so take what I'm saying with a grain of salt.

No good reason to think that way, and the pre 2010 models work just fine. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #19 on: July 29, 2012, 10:56:35 AM »

redesigned? greatly improved? you mean close 2 gaps in the fairing and raise the mirrors by an irrelevant amount to a just-as-useless-as-before position? Wow. Just: wow.
Don't take it personally. I just don't want somebody dismissing a previous year model and paying a premium for something that offers next to naught over an '08 or '09 model. And yes, I tried it extensively. Bags still well on sight and no heat on the thighs, just like my '08.

The 2010 and up has allot of changes that owners and potential customers were wanting and looking for......Kawasaki delivered IMHO. 8)  That being said....I am more than pleased with my good ole 2008. :thumbs:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey