Author Topic: Help In Choosing The Right Concours...  (Read 34806 times)

Offline YtseJam

Re: Help In Choosing The Right Concours...
« Reply #20 on: July 29, 2012, 11:20:01 AM »
Jam: I too made the switch from an RT (2004 1150) to the Connie (2012). You didn't ask, but here are the most striking differences I noticed: 1. Weight: The Connie is much heavier and carries its mass higher. 2. Brakes: No more twitchy "power" brakes, thankgod. 3. Engine; Whole new level of power, and the Connie doesn't shake at stoplights. 4. Transmission: Lower first gear makes Connie much easier to launch from a stop. 5. Handling: RT is nimbler, easier to flick, but Connie is every bit as steady once you muscle it over.

Jim

I could tell a difference between the two just by swinging my leg over it. It took me a while to get used to the bike leaning to the right when you would give it some throttle at a standstill! The power difference will be ridiculous, but you're correct about the handling....it's probably the best handling bike I've owned or even ridden. Really looking forward to getting the 14....:), I like the BMW, but the 14 will be much more suited for what I want.

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #21 on: July 29, 2012, 11:25:29 AM »
"adjustable heated grips"

I would absolutely go for a 2nd gen if possible, but it is not like the 1st gen is a totally different bike- they are the exact same engine, top-end, injection, height, steering, frame, wheels, suspension, drivetrain, etc.

I couldn't believe the difference heated grips make....almost mandatory for a touring bike for me. What I have noticed is that several of the pre-10's for sale have after market grips.

Offline Bert

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: July 29, 2012, 11:27:13 AM »
I couldn't believe the difference heated grips make....almost mandatory for a touring bike for me. What I have noticed is that several of the pre-10's for sale have after market grips.

I had my dealer install the 2011 OEM heated grips on my 2009.

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #23 on: July 29, 2012, 12:05:47 PM »

I would either do that, or get some aftermarket ones.....a must!

Offline JerBear

« Reply #24 on: July 29, 2012, 12:41:18 PM »

[/quote]

If you don't mind, what did that cost you?  I live in Wisconsin and it may be a good thing to have if I don't have to sell my home to get them.
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline TJ

« Reply #25 on: July 29, 2012, 12:57:03 PM »
Not to sure how important the heated grips are. Living in Alaska I have rode my Concours in temperatures in the low 50's since buying her and never felt the need to even turn the grips on yet. If you are riding in temperatures ranging from 30-40F they might be useful. I just wear light riding gloves and my hands are fine.
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline Bert

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: July 29, 2012, 01:37:23 PM »

If you don't mind, what did that cost you?  I live in Wisconsin and it may be a good thing to have if I don't have to sell my home to get them.

It seems like it was something like $3-400 installed.  It took them awhile to get it right.

Offline Scaffolder

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2012, 02:07:02 PM »
I had an 08 that I loved, but could never go back after owning toe 2010. And I too am one of the guys that hates the linked brakes. I love everything else though. I don't think I'll ever own a bike without heated grips again. I still believe the 2010 and up deflect more rain water on the highway. I still get wet, but less wet than the 08. They are all great bikes though. You'll enjoy any of them.
Joel from Maine.

Offline speed545

« Reply #28 on: July 29, 2012, 02:50:49 PM »
In fact, the original Kwak C14 design team was dead set against linked brakes.

can some one explain to me what linked brakes means? Without knowing i would say that the brake line for the front and rear are connected tothe same master?

08, Concours 14
Montreal Fire Dept

Offline fsr402

« Reply #29 on: July 29, 2012, 07:32:50 PM »
can some one explain to me what linked brakes means? Without knowing i would say that the brake line for the front and rear are connected tothe same master?

My understanding of it is the hand brake (normally the front brake) works 2 out of the 3 pistons on the front brakes and one of the two pistons on the rear. The foot brake (normally the rear brake) works one piston on both front and rear.
This is my understanding of the system. I could be way wrong though.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #30 on: July 30, 2012, 05:00:19 AM »
Not to sure how important the heated grips are. Living in Alaska I have rode my Concours in temperatures in the low 50's since buying her and never felt the need to even turn the grips on yet. If you are riding in temperatures ranging from 30-40F they might be useful. I just wear light riding gloves and my hands are fine.

Low 50s in Alaska? Brrrr!   ;)

How about low 20s in Illinois? I don't have heated grips but I do have hand air deflectors that I love.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #31 on: July 30, 2012, 06:49:09 AM »

The 2010 and up has allot of changes that owners and potential customers were wanting and looking for......Kawasaki delivered IMHO. 8)  That being said....I am more than pleased with my good ole 2008. :thumbs:

about what I meant. Of all the changes, none of them justifies steering away from pre-'10 models. Screen can be changed, heated grips installed and gap in the fairing closed. Until chassis and powertrain are changed, it remains the same bike.
Going from an RT to a Concours (as I did) and stopping to look at minimal differences in the model year, is like switching to an F-15 from a donkey, and asking if it has MP3 player...  ::)
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #32 on: July 30, 2012, 07:05:54 AM »
I have a 2010 with 36,000 miles on it.  Before the Concours I had a FJR1300, before that an ST1300 (I also currently own a Goldwing and a Ninja 1000).  Here are my thoughts...

Linked brakes - linked brakes are fine if they are set up right.  I have had three Hondas and a Yamaha with linked brakes and they were seamless.  My 2010 Concours linked brakes suck.   People are saying linked brakes are bad.  I disagree.  But on my bike they suck because they were poorly implemented.  I have heard other who complain about them as well.  The fix for me is to not use the rear brake.  That is when there is a problem is when you try to use both the front and rear brake together.  The rears are very "grabby".

Heat.  I rode a 2009 and definitely felt heat on my lower legs (I wear tall riding boots too).  My 2010 puts out no heat.  I would not buy a pre 2010.

Otherwise it's all about how you like the bike and how if fits you.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline rush2112

• Arena
« Reply #33 on: July 30, 2012, 11:02:13 AM »
I had all the answers for you. But with that avatar, sorry, can't help you!
ROLL TIDE!!!!
Ha ha
 ;D ;)
"A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #34 on: July 30, 2012, 02:14:14 PM »
Going from an RT to a Concours (as I did) and stopping to look at minimal differences in the model year, is like switching to an F-15 from a donkey, and asking if it has MP3 player...  ::)

I'm beginning to get that impression....kinda sums it up!

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #35 on: July 30, 2012, 02:18:18 PM »
Heat.  I rode a 2009 and definitely felt heat on my lower legs (I wear tall riding boots too).  My 2010 puts out no heat.  I would not buy a pre 2010.

Otherwise it's all about how you like the bike and how if fits you.

I sat on one Saturday and it felt great, similar to the RT which is perfect for me...very impressed. Sounds like the heat issue may be a problem depending on the rider, not sure though is that would be enough to steer me away from a killer deal on a pre-10.

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #36 on: July 30, 2012, 02:20:09 PM »
Should higher mileage bikes be a concern? As I said towards the beginning, there is one around here with 59k....I personally thought that was little high? Although my RT currently has 85K and runs like new.

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #37 on: July 30, 2012, 02:22:14 PM »
I had all the answers for you. But with that avatar, sorry, can't help you!
ROLL TIDE!!!!
Ha ha
 ;D ;)

:battle:

Jealousy is so ugly.....;)

Offline Jimmy Patriot

« Reply #38 on: July 30, 2012, 03:18:22 PM »
I was in the same situation as the OP a couple months ago.  I was certain I wanted a 2010 or later for the reasons posted.  I was just waiting to find one for a decent price.  I was then contacted by someone selling a 2009 nicely farkled.  I replied that I wanted ABS and heated grips and better heat mgt.  He replied his 2009 had abs, heated grips and the foam panels installed in the fairing and tank pads which all helped greatly.  He then listed everything else the bike had..... Murphs loewer pegs, risers, shims, a chopped stock shield, tall 2010 shield, throttlemeister, Area P slip on, PCV, Sargent seat, Phils rack w/ givi..... and only 14k miles.  I looked over some pics and it was in showroom condition.  I would have outfitted any 2010 or newer almost exactly like this which would be $$$ and I got it for what I consider to be a steal.  The Candy Diamond Red grew on me and I'm glad I got the bike.  I've ridden in 100 deg and yeah the bike gets warm.... but only in traffic and stop lights, but it's not unbearable and what I expected from such a nuclear reactor between your thighs and I always wear mesh pants and boots in Summer anyhow.  I see it as saving thousands and maybe the 2010 or 11 would be 5% better of a bike, but I couldn't resist the value of this 2009 with all the add ons so my vote would be for finding an 08 or 09 heavily farkled for some serious value.
2009 C-14 ABS

Offline YtseJam

« Reply #39 on: July 30, 2012, 04:35:17 PM »
I was in the same situation as the OP a couple months ago.  I was certain I wanted a 2010 or later for the reasons posted.  I was just waiting to find one for a decent price.  I was then contacted by someone selling a 2009 nicely farkled.  I replied that I wanted ABS and heated grips and better heat mgt.  He replied his 2009 had abs, heated grips and the foam panels installed in the fairing and tank pads which all helped greatly.  He then listed everything else the bike had..... Murphs loewer pegs, risers, shims, a chopped stock shield, tall 2010 shield, throttlemeister, Area P slip on, PCV, Sargent seat, Phils rack w/ givi..... and only 14k miles.  I looked over some pics and it was in showroom condition.  I would have outfitted any 2010 or newer almost exactly like this which would be $$$ and I got it for what I consider to be a steal.  The Candy Diamond Red grew on me and I'm glad I got the bike.  I've ridden in 100 deg and yeah the bike gets warm.... but only in traffic and stop lights, but it's not unbearable and what I expected from such a nuclear reactor between your thighs and I always wear mesh pants and boots in Summer anyhow.  I see it as saving thousands and maybe the 2010 or 11 would be 5% better of a bike, but I couldn't resist the value of this 2009 with all the add ons so my vote would be for finding an 08 or 09 heavily farkled for some serious value.

Thanks some great info....appreciate the post!