Author Topic: C14 aftermarket LED brake light / ???  (Read 13720 times)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
C14 aftermarket LED brake light / ???
« on: June 10, 2012, 06:56:10 PM »
I bought an aftermarket 4-LED light I use as a second brake light.  I built a custom mount and its under my license plate running along the bottom of it. I'm worried its TOOOOOOO BRIGHT.  Its a light made for police cars and ambulances.  I'm running it "alternating pattern" and this concerns me more as its an attention getter. At night it lights up houses down the street.

My question to those who have such a product:

Do you have it in steady brake light mode or "alternating"?  If in alternating, are you concerned it will really p*ss people off behind you at night, and are you concerned some lunatic with a carry permit will shot you over it?

Is there a "night mode" for these lights to avoid blinding people at night or scaring grandma into heart attack?

http://www.fleetsafety.com/TLED04-Axixtech-Four-Diode-Surface-Mount-LED-Light-1092
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline RBX QB

Re: C14 aftermarket LED brake light / ???
« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2012, 07:48:50 PM »
How directional are the LED's? Could you aim them down a little to lessen the glare to other drivers? I know the Hyperlites have a definite angle to them that could be "aimed" in some fashion.

2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2012, 08:07:05 PM »
How directional are the LED's? Could you aim them down a little to lessen the glare to other drivers? I know the Hyperlites have a definite angle to them that could be "aimed" in some fashion.

Yeah I looked at that but from any angle they are BRIGHT, like they're designed to be seen from any angle.

I went out tonight and rode and wow, I can see them flashing against the lens of people stopped behind me wearing glasses
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline EpicBadass

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2012, 08:27:13 PM »
So let me get this straight, you're complaining about people being able to see you TOO well? 

Sounds like I'll be ordering these.  ;D  ;)

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2012, 08:30:35 PM »
 :o

Steve with a farkle??  ???

Next up will be an exhaust bro...  ;) ;D

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2012, 08:41:25 PM »

Do you have it in steady brake light mode or "alternating"?

Neither.  I have an Admore and it has a built-in timer.  It will flash rapidly 4 times, then go solid.  And it won't flash again until it has been 20-30 seconds without using the brake, to prevent annoyance during stop and go traffic.

If in alternating, are you concerned it will really p*ss people off behind you at night,

I would be concerned about that, yes.  By the way, several companies sell a module that will do the rapid flash and then solid and delay before reflash, so it can be added to any light, even the stock one.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2012, 08:42:36 PM »
So let me get this straight, you're complaining about people being able to see you TOO well? 

There is a difference between good visibility and just annoying people.  It is just like the people who run with their highbeams on in the day- who don't care how annoying it is to other drivers, because all they care about is being "seen", when in reality, it can be more than just annoying- it can dazzle and blind some people, and make it HARDER to see where the bike is.  But there is a solution for that too- properly adjusted running lights...
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2012, 08:45:07 PM »
Neither.  I have an Admore and it has a built-in timer.  It will flash rapidly 4 times, then go solid.  And it won't flash again until it has been 20-30 seconds without using the brake, to prevent annoyance during stop and go traffic.

I would be concerned about that, yes.

This one has 18 options, just wondering which people use.  Its so bright its about dangerous.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 08:45:49 PM »
There is a difference between good visibility and just annoying people.  It is just like the people who run with their highbeams on in the day- who don't care how annoying it is to other drivers, because all they care about is being "seen", when in reality, it can be more than just annoying- it can dazzle and blind some people, and make it HARDER to see where the bike is.  But there is a solution for that too- properly adjusted running lights...

^^^^that!

I may set it to steady brake or two bursts and a steady or such

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2012, 08:50:53 PM »

my track bikes get so many mods it'd take a page or two for a listing. this bike is just a beater road trip bike, its luck to get a washing off heh

it has a givi E55 and TM, GPS, etc but I wanted this brake light before I hit NYC and such on my way up to maine for lobster and canada just to raise %$#$.  some of us ride a little ways =)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2012, 08:55:41 PM »

I would be concerned about that, yes.  By the way, several companies sell a module that will do the rapid flash and then solid and delay before reflash, so it can be added to any light, even the stock one.

good stuff, I may change mine to such a flash scenario too

Offline Conrad

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2012, 04:47:53 AM »

Then he'll pin his bags...
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2012, 06:41:10 AM »
Then he'll pin his bags...

That would require a strange event........   1st my KiPass battery would have to die (before I replaced it ahead)........ and 2nd I'd find myself in a position to not be able to get a battery. If this happens I'm grabbing my DeWalt drill and a couple of pins  :D

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2012, 09:56:54 AM »
Yeah I looked at that but from any angle they are BRIGHT, like they're designed to be seen from any angle.

I went out tonight and rode and wow, I can see them flashing against the lens of people stopped behind me wearing glasses

Epilepsy lawsuit coming for sure Steve.  You sure the KIPASS firmware cant be altered to adjust this?

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2012, 03:16:35 PM »
Epilepsy lawsuit coming for sure Steve.  You sure the KIPASS firmware cant be altered to adjust this?

Yes sir, I'm confident the mad pow-ah of KiPass software/firmware can make anything possible. I just dunno' how to do it  :D

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2012, 03:20:48 PM »
You might consider:

Lens tinting spray.  I am no fan of blacked out taillights, but this might be a reasonable application.
Vinyl windshield tinting film might be another option.  Since the amount needed for the application would be so small, a tint shop might just give you the film from their leftover scraps.
Edit:  For all I know, there may be film made specifically for taillights as well.

FWIW, I appreciate your consideration of your fellow riders and drivers in this matter.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2012, 04:28:43 PM »
You might consider:

Lens tinting spray.  I am no fan of blacked out taillights, but this might be a reasonable application.
Vinyl windshield tinting film might be another option.  Since the amount needed for the application would be so small, a tint shop might just give you the film from their leftover scraps.
Edit:  For all I know, there may be film made specifically for taillights as well.

FWIW, I appreciate your consideration of your fellow riders and drivers in this matter.

NICE ideas, thanks I'll consider these

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #17 on: June 12, 2012, 06:26:19 PM »
Steve, I was having a conversation with someone I work with today about LED lighting (I work in the electrical supply industry).  He was telling me that some LED's can be dimmed with conventional dimmers.  If I get time, I may go buy a super bright LED (might even have one already) and go down to Radio Shack and pick up a cheap DC dimmer and try it.  Just food for thought right now.  If it works, you would have a completely variable brightness control.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Breaker19

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2012, 07:39:45 AM »
I bought an aftermarket 4-LED light I use as a second brake light.  I built a custom mount and its under my license plate running along the bottom of it. I'm worried its TOOOOOOO BRIGHT.  Its a light made for police cars and ambulances.  I'm running it "alternating pattern" and this concerns me more as its an attention getter. At night it lights up houses down the street.

Do you have it in steady brake light mode or "alternating"?  If in alternating, are you concerned it will really p*ss people off behind you at night, and are you concerned some lunatic with a carry permit will shot you over it?

Is there a "night mode" for these lights to avoid blinding people at night or scaring grandma into heart attack?

http://www.fleetsafety.com/TLED04-Axixtech-Four-Diode-Surface-Mount-LED-Light-1092

I have a Whelen Engineering model, it's bright as heck also. But I mounted it way low where the reflector was located. Right now, it's hooked to a standard relay so it's on all the time. I used to have a DEI pulse timer relay, cannot find it anywhere. So I found a cheap one on Ebay and just ordered it. I want to have the light flashing for only a set length of time, so it won't be so terribly bright on anyone stopped up close to the bike. At night just the reflection of the light bouncing off is almost overwhelming.

In regards to your question about "night mode," that would depend on the unit. Many lightbars and lights do have a circuit to toggle from high to low and back again. But I don't know about your unit and my Whelen will not either. It has three wires, two for power and one for programming. I installed a momentary switch under the seat to program if I like on the fly. I have mine set for a series of fast flashes and then slower, longer pulses.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2012, 11:14:51 AM »
Thanks =)