Author Topic: C14 aftermarket LED brake light / ???  (Read 13266 times)

Offline just gone

• COG#9712 '10 ABS
Re: C14 aftermarket LED brake light / ???
« Reply #40 on: June 17, 2012, 01:13:32 PM »
I've never been blinded or even bothered by anyone's brights on during the day. Even raised SUVs right behind me in my
mirrors. There just isn't enough contrast during the day for it to be a problem. Maybe my eyes are different? I've had more trouble
with the sun reflecting off of various things.

I like the idea of noticing the background movement in the British video, a good point. I don't think I'll be weaving when I'm
in a situation like that, but maybe a few flash-to-pass hits on the switch. I have the Denali lights mounted low on the front
wheel, it sure would be nice if I could just push a button and make those alternate pulse like a headlight modulator would.

Oh my, we are a bit off topic (C14 aftermarket LED brake light / ? )  :offtopic: Sorry, for the record, I didn't start it.
Just to technically stay on topic I'll self promote my old post: http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=1071.msg30644#msg30644    ::)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #41 on: June 17, 2012, 02:56:12 PM »
I've never been blinded or even bothered by anyone's brights on during the day. Maybe my eyes are different?
Oh yes, that is quite possible.  I have noticed as my eyes get older, it is easier to be dazzled or "blinded" by bright lights- be it sun reflections or highbeam lights- day or night; especially at night, of course.
I like the idea of noticing the background movement in the British video, a good point. I don't think I'll be weaving when I'm in a situation like that, but maybe a few flash-to-pass hits on the switch.
I don't think that would be a good idea.  Flashing is generally regarded as a universal sign that you are yielding your right-of-way or passing.  I bet the weaving is more effective, if not strange :)
I have the Denali lights mounted low on the front wheel, it sure would be nice if I could just push a button and make those alternate pulse like a headlight modulator would.
I like that idea much more.

Here is what I did:  http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=2236
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #42 on: June 17, 2012, 04:27:12 PM »
Please! Will SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO DISCUSS RUNNING YOUR HIGH BEAMS OR NOT. Please start a thread in The Open section. PLEASE!

Now, for the ones who WANT TO STAY ON TOPIC. What has worked for the ones that have LED taillights?
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #43 on: June 17, 2012, 07:23:39 PM »
Please! Will SOMEONE WHO WANTS TO DISCUSS RUNNING YOUR HIGH BEAMS OR NOT. Please start a thread in The Open section. PLEASE!

Now, for the ones who WANT TO STAY ON TOPIC. What has worked for the ones that have LED taillights?

agree, front light is a separate topic but i don't mind
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #44 on: June 17, 2012, 07:24:36 PM »
I installed my DEI (Directed Electronics Inc.) pulse timer relay this morning. Works great. With the brakes held on, the OE brake light stays constant, my trunk lights stay lit constant also, and the super bright Whelen flasher stays on about 6-7 seconds. I can turn it longer or shorter too.

This way, sitting still where I have to keep the brake on or in other scenarios where the brakes may be slightly applied enough to trigger the lights for a longer period, the super bright light won't stay flashing constantly.

Upon release and reapplication of the brakes the cycle starts over again.

awesome info, thanks
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline Conrad

« Reply #45 on: June 18, 2012, 04:35:58 AM »

Sorry about that Chief.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Breaker19

« Reply #46 on: June 18, 2012, 07:34:19 AM »
awesome info, thanks

If anyone needs the wiring diagram in regards to how I hooked this up, I'll post it or send it, their choice; and I can explain how I did it.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #47 on: June 18, 2012, 09:32:13 AM »
I don't mind continuing the hijack.  Besides, one could argue that the subject is "safety lighting - how much is too much".  :)  If you go through the actual Hurt Report (almost 500 pages, and a lot of it is pretty dry), there is no actual recommendation of daytime highbeam headlamp use.  They do recognize that there is an argument for highbeam use, but they did not study or quantify it, nor did they conclude that it is/was a good idea.  At the time of the study, bikes had only recently been required to have headlamps lit at all times from the factory, so they were comparing headlamp use vs non-use only.

The highbeam use advocates drew the conclusion that if a headlight helps make the bike visible, a highbeam must make it more visible.  It many ways, that seems reasonable, but there are no studies, reports nor statistics to back that conclusion.  There is evidence that it is not always so much of a question of whether the bike was seen, but rather a question of whether the distance and approach speed were correctly estimated by the observing traffic.  Unfortunately, highbeams can and do make those calculations more difficult, and may increase the risks rather than reducing them.

Again, this is relevant particularly because Steve started this thread asking for options to reduce the offensiveness of his super-bright rear safety light.  It is good to be visible, but there is a limit beyond which more harm than benefit is achieved.  This is a simple concept.  Drawing that line between enough of a good thing and too much (morphing the good thing into a bad thing) is something each of us is called to do on a regular basis in a wide variety of situations.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #48 on: June 18, 2012, 11:22:11 AM »
I don't mind continuing the hijack.  Besides, one could argue that the subject is "safety lighting - how much is too much".  :)  If you go through the actual Hurt Report (almost 500 pages, and a lot of it is pretty dry), there is no actual recommendation of daytime highbeam headlamp use.  They do recognize that there is an argument for highbeam use, but they did not study or quantify it, nor did they conclude that it is/was a good idea.  At the time of the study, bikes had only recently been required to have headlamps lit at all times from the factory, so they were comparing headlamp use vs non-use only.

The highbeam use advocates drew the conclusion that if a headlight helps make the bike visible, a highbeam must make it more visible.  It many ways, that seems reasonable, but there are no studies, reports nor statistics to back that conclusion.  There is evidence that it is not always so much of a question of whether the bike was seen, but rather a question of whether the distance and approach speed were correctly estimated by the observing traffic.  Unfortunately, highbeams can and do make those calculations more difficult, and may increase the risks rather than reducing them.

Again, this is relevant particularly because Steve started this thread asking for options to reduce the offensiveness of his super-bright rear safety light.  It is good to be visible, but there is a limit beyond which more harm than benefit is achieved.  This is a simple concept.  Drawing that line between enough of a good thing and too much (morphing the good thing into a bad thing) is something each of us is called to do on a regular basis in a wide variety of situations.

my topic is "back brake LED bright, nothing to do with any other light.

of course we could really get a great drama thread going with front lights high beam or not, flashing or not, etc  :D

Breaker19

« Reply #49 on: June 18, 2012, 11:42:37 AM »
Geez, some of you are almost as worse as a Homeowners Association!  :rotflmao: Who cares, the topics are related... lol  :stirpot: