Author Topic: More flying saddlebags  (Read 16168 times)

Offline Z71

Re: More flying saddlebags
« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2012, 07:01:10 PM »
I use them also.  They do work, although they will put a mark on the grab bars because the outer plastic coating wears off very quickly.

I have them too but I wonder if they are 100% effective in preventing bags from coming off.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #21 on: May 26, 2012, 08:24:08 PM »
I have them too but I wonder if they are 100% effective in preventing bags from coming off.

Well, the design premise is pretty sound.  I would say "yes", as long as the bags and clips are properly installed and the handles are locked.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline TJ

« Reply #22 on: May 26, 2012, 08:29:42 PM »
Curious, what is the capacity of the bags in liters?
2012 Black Kawasaki Concours

Offline blue14

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: May 27, 2012, 03:56:27 AM »
35L
2010 C14, 2007 ZX14,  2004 KTM 300SXC

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #24 on: May 27, 2012, 02:09:12 PM »
I've used the Z-Steve Saddlebag Retaining Brackets and they seem to work for me.  I am sure that the method of drilling thru the bottem retainer bracket and pinning will also work but Steves clips require no drilling.

Fred

Offline Conrad

« Reply #25 on: May 28, 2012, 07:25:33 AM »
I tried to wrap the metal retaining clip things in electric tape.  All that did was make a smear of "digested" electric tape on the grab bars.  Oh well.

I used black heat shrink on my clips, works great.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2012, 05:46:53 AM »
I used black heat shrink on my clips, works great.

Great idea! I'll have to give it a try.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #27 on: May 30, 2012, 06:04:21 AM »
KiPass is the only protection my bags have had, 53,000 miles and none have taken flight yet  :D
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline texrider

« Reply #28 on: May 30, 2012, 07:24:38 AM »
KiPass is the only protection my bags have had, 53,000 miles and none have taken flight yet  :D

Are you sure it's not the Variable Valve Timing that's been providing such umbrella of protection?  ;D
2014 Valkyrie

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #29 on: May 30, 2012, 07:30:12 AM »
Are you sure it's not the Variable Valve Timing that's been providing such umbrella of protection?  ;D

OK now you have me confused

But I must stick with the KiPass theory because I've seen its mad pow-ah =)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #30 on: May 30, 2012, 08:13:40 AM »
I have mine pinned at the bottom.  Probably don't need them on my '10, but it was easy enough to do and I know they aren't going anywhere.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline chap

« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2012, 09:47:40 AM »
just wondering if anyone has figured out what is failing to make the bags "jump" off. I have a 2010 ABS, which i brought a few months ago. I almost never have the bags on, but am going on a trip in a few weeks and will be using them. I put the bags on yesterday to see if I could see how they could come off. Mine seem very secure, and unless the latch retracts can see no way they could come off. So on the ones that come off, what is the cause. I think I will be pinning mine to be sure, but it would be nice to know the reason.
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2012, 09:52:47 AM »
just wondering if anyone has figured out what is failing to make the bags "jump" off. I have a 2010 ABS, which i brought a few months ago. I almost never have the bags on, but am going on a trip in a few weeks and will be using them. I put the bags on yesterday to see if I could see how they could come off. Mine seem very secure, and unless the latch retracts can see no way they could come off. So on the ones that come off, what is the cause. I think I will be pinning mine to be sure, but it would be nice to know the reason.

My '10 has not been pinned or any of the other precautions you hear about on the 'net and its been > 53,000 miles (both empty and overfilled and inbetween) and they have NEVER EVER taken flight.

Although i do find these threads interesting, no pins and such for me.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2012, 09:53:22 AM »

Put your bags on and then stand behind the bike. Grab one of the bags at the bottom and gently lift up. Keep an eye on the rearmost mounting point and you can see how they might come off.

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #34 on: June 05, 2012, 09:54:36 AM »
Put your bags on and then stand behind the bike. Grab one of the bags at the bottom and gently lift up. Keep an eye on the rearmost mounting point and you can see how they might come off.

my '10 doesn't budge

Offline Conrad

« Reply #35 on: June 05, 2012, 09:55:39 AM »
my '10 doesn't budge

Ask one of them wiminz you got to do it for you then.    ;)

Offline chap

« Reply #36 on: June 05, 2012, 09:57:32 AM »

Thanks. Ill give that a try tonight. But I think mine are pretty secure. Did Kawasaki make any changes to the bags for 2010??
2010 Concours ABS = Blue
2003 Concours - Red (sold)

Son of Pappy

« Reply #37 on: June 05, 2012, 09:58:50 AM »
My '10 has not been pinned or any of the other precautions you hear about on the 'net and its been > 53,000 miles (both empty and overfilled and inbetween) and they have NEVER EVER taken flight.

Although i do find these threads interesting, no pins and such for me.

It's one of the sins that happen to those who dare question the "Mad Powah" of KIPASS!!

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #38 on: June 05, 2012, 10:04:39 AM »
It's one of the sins that happen to those who dare question the "Mad Powah" of KIPASS!!

Yes sir!   ;D

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: June 05, 2012, 10:17:56 AM »
KiPass also protects me from crashing into all the C14 bags I see all over the roadways