Author Topic: More flying saddlebags  (Read 16170 times)

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
More flying saddlebags
« on: May 24, 2012, 12:23:17 PM »
We recently had a COG event in RI with 75 people in attendance. The great majority of bikes there were Concours of course, with a lot of those being C-14s. What I did want to pass along was that one couple from a couple of states over went for a ride while attending the event and returned with one saddlebag. Yep, apparently another one bailed out mid- flight. I do not know much about what happened but the bike is an '09, the bags were empty, and the right bag is the one that came off. The owner did not realize it was gone until returning to the hotel and left on a search for said bag- and found it under a guard rail if I understand correctly (got the story 2nd or 3rd hand and much later in the day). The bag was fully and correctly latched on the bike again after the 'get off' so nothing was broken to release the bag in the first place.

I am not one to get too overly excited about things like this, and have not even pinned the bags on my bike yet (an '08) but I would also not throw stones at anyone who did make some effort to better retain a saddlebag(s)- pinning the bags, adding that stainless steel retaining rod or even applying a large tie- wrap are all effective solutions apparently.

I just wanted to pass along in the info.

BTW- the recovered bag was still fully functional and intact but did have <of course> several patches of road rash all over it. The owner was a great sport about it and took it fantastically well; he found some large band- aids and covered the scars with them. Really quite amusing in person :-)

Brian
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
Re: More flying saddlebags
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2012, 12:29:14 PM »
I find that the cases are more secure with a bit of weight in them, no issues as of yet with mine.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2012, 12:43:43 PM »
As one of the admittedly few who have had a properly attached saddlebag come off, I would respectfully submit that spending a few minutes and few dollars to pin the bags is a good thing.  I, too, lost (and recovered) the saddlebag after the issue and the fix were originally published.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline ugocon

« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2012, 12:59:24 PM »
Valerio posted a solution for that.
Perhaps it can be easily replicated.
Sicurezza borse attiva in caso di caduta in movimento.GTR 1400 Kawasaki ( C14)

This is the link to the thread
http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=7252.15
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline Gsun

« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2012, 08:46:30 PM »
OK, but what if you bags are full? I just pinned mine the other day. Took all of 10 minutes and 4 bucks for the pins.

Offline texrider

« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2012, 10:13:10 PM »
This gave me some peace of mind about the cases...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=6903.msg81954#msg81954

2014 Valkyrie

Offline Canada44

« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2012, 10:23:56 PM »
I took Fred H advice and did the following on my bags, I went on a 4000 mile ride last summer with no bag issues. It was easy to do with no drilling any holes. Bags have a tighter grip now. I hardly ever ride with the bags.

cheers
Paul

see website.
http://www.pbase.com/fredharmon/baglatchfix
2010 ABS C14

Offline Kawi Ken

« Reply #7 on: May 25, 2012, 06:31:49 AM »
Thanks for sharing ! 
Pinned mine this morning for peace of mind.
Simple enough,Home Depot had some 1/4 x 2 pins for $7 for the pair. Might paint'em flat black to blend'em in.
Saw the band aids on there at Twisted Throttle and found them amusing.Glad they were able to find the bag.
Great meeting you also Brian.
2009 C-14 Fast Color !
Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly.
http://youtu.be/jrFJQwYFJWw

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #8 on: May 25, 2012, 09:12:59 AM »
KiPass offers the only protection mine will ever have.  Going 2-up from Tampa to Charleston SC Saturday for a seafood lunch with mom, hope they stay on =)
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2012, 09:49:54 AM »
Nice meeting you as well.

I should probably pin mine too- I rarely take them off the bike anyway and while there isn't much of a chance of the bags departing the bike unexpectedly, it does happen on occasion and pinning them should eliminate any chance of that happening.

A couple of photos of said saddlebag courtesy of Pat Malloy (of the 'Habelloys').

Brian

Thanks for sharing ! 
Pinned mine this morning for peace of mind.
Simple enough,Home Depot had some 1/4 x 2 pins for $7 for the pair. Might paint'em flat black to blend'em in.
Saw the band aids on there at Twisted Throttle and found them amusing.Glad they were able to find the bag.
Great meeting you also Brian.
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2012, 10:21:52 AM »
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2012, 01:13:52 PM »
Yet another alternative...

http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=473.0

That's what I have. Very simple and are very effective.

Offline 556ALPHA

• 2009 Candy Diamond Red
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2012, 02:05:46 PM »
Because I rarely take mine off I use zip ties.  They are simple and effective.  On trips I just cut the ties and use new ones if I take them into the hotel. 

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2012, 02:36:22 PM »
I was the first to drill and pin and post about it on this forum, way back in 08 although my original pins were just large cotter pins. Someone else here improved on my plan with the detent pins. On my recent long trip I lost one of the 3/16" pins. Seems that after 50+ thousand miles the hole has gotten wallered out. I had a spare and used it but it was also lost the next day. I guess I will have to try a 1/4" pin.

I also use zsteve's handle latch gizmo
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2012, 05:42:56 PM »

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2012, 06:00:00 PM »
[bag retainer bars] That's what I use, works great!  :thumbs: :thumbs:

I use them also.  They do work, although they will put a mark on the grab bars because the outer plastic coating wears off very quickly.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2012, 06:03:26 PM »
I use them also.  They do work, although they will put a mark on the grab bars because the outer plastic coating wears off very quickly.

:goodpost:

This is true if you have the silver grab bars, I switched over to the 2012 black grab bars and now it's not a problem because under the black is black. But true on the silver bars, it wore off two dots of the silver finish showing the black underneath about the size of a small pencil eraser...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2012, 06:07:12 PM »
This is true [...] it wore off two dots of the silver finish showing the black underneath about the size of a small pencil eraser...

I tried to wrap the metal retaining clip things in electric tape.  All that did was make a smear of "digested" electric tape on the grab bars.  Oh well.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline twowheeladdict

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »
I will only remove my bags for maintenance so I guess I will find a hidden place to add a zip tie.  Better safe than sorry.

All of my bikes have bags with exception of the 250cc dual sport, but I do have throw over saddlebags.
My Concours Travels:
2014 New England Tour http://www.zggtr.org/index.php?topic=17336.msg212077#msg212077

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2012, 06:50:06 PM »
I tried to wrap the metal retaining clip things in electric tape.  All that did was make a smear of "digested" electric tape on the grab bars.  Oh well.

Mine is gonna get bedliner sprayed on, I doubt any is gonna wear off.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey