Author Topic: Parked next to an FJR the other day...  (Read 19621 times)

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
Re: Parked next to an FJR the other day...
« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2012, 10:13:35 AM »
No sir, I've used the key in the FOB last 52,000 miles. I've never had a reason to remove the stove key is my point =)
I wasn't following at first but now it's clear as mud.  ;)
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline wendel

« Reply #21 on: May 24, 2012, 10:35:39 AM »
Kipass is so reliable that a bypass mod has been created and all the owners on this site know of it.
Kipass= $300.00 to replace and reprogram.versus a few bucks for a non-key pass key.
There is the cheaper smaller extra fob that only works when you place it against the ignition. From my understanding you cannot reprogram a new full size fob with it if you have lost the transmitting fob.
Lose the fob without a spare and you are looking at over $600.00 to repair.

All so you do not have to take the key out of your pocket. Other than Kipass, I really like the bike especially with the cruise control mounted.

Kawasaki gave two full sized fobs for the 09/09 model and realized either they can make additional profit by giving only one or it was too expensive to add the full size second fob or both reasons. Other than not having to take your key out of your pocket or supposedly making it more difficult to start once it is stolen (it can be stolen with Kipass), I have not found a real benefit to it versus cost.
2012 C14

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #22 on: May 24, 2012, 10:42:04 AM »
Kipass is so reliable that a bypass mod has been created and all the owners on this site know of it.
Kipass= $300.00 to replace and reprogram.versus a few bucks for a non-key pass key.
There is the cheaper smaller extra fob that only works when you place it against the ignition. From my understanding you cannot reprogram a new full size fob with it if you have lost the transmitting fob.
Lose the fob without a spare and you are looking at over $600.00 to repair.

All so you do not have to take the key out of your pocket. Other than Kipass, I really like the bike especially with the cruise control mounted.

Kawasaki gave two full sized fobs for the 09/09 model and realized either they can make additional profit by giving only one or it was too expensive to add the full size second fob or both reasons. Other than not having to take your key out of your pocket or supposedly making it more difficult to start once it is stolen (it can be stolen with Kipass), I have not found a real benefit to it versus cost.

For every Kawasaki KiPass failure, there's a 1000 bikes sold that have had no failure. I was talking to my service guy at Kawasaki the other day, KiPass failures are at the very  bottom of the list regarding warranty issues.

And my position is KiPass is the most favorite part of my bike. For the '10 up bikes I don't think I've ever heard of a failure or workaround employed. (Except my battery died.  Even the mad pow-ah of KiPass can't recharge batteries)

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: May 24, 2012, 11:27:54 AM »
Ah, yet another evolutionary thread. From FJR to KPass once again.

KPass rules, FJR drools!!

I put my FOB in my pocket, only removed when I change pants on a trip. The stove knob is used for gas and bags, but resides in the ignition the rest of the time. Easier than pulling the key from the FOB that's in my pocket.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: May 24, 2012, 11:31:08 AM »

I put my FOB in my pocket, only removed when I change pants on a trip. The stove knob is used for gas and bags, but resides in the ignition the rest of the time. Easier than pulling the key from the FOB that's in my pocket.

^^^^that, yes sir indeed. Even without mentioning the KiPass the FJR is old tech lacking 6th gear and some pow-ah. In all fairness, i still like the FJR but compared to a KiPass equipped C14..... well its obvious 
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #25 on: May 24, 2012, 11:31:34 AM »

Same thing I do also.
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #26 on: May 24, 2012, 11:33:15 AM »
^^^^that, yes sir indeed. Even without mentioning the KiPass the FJR is old tech lacking 6th gear and some pow-ah. In all fairness, i still like the FJR but compared to a KiPass equipped C14..... well its obvious 
Plus (according to my wife) Connie is rockin' the "mean look".   8)

The FJR's can't hold a candle to the bad @$$ness of the C14s.  ;D

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #27 on: May 24, 2012, 11:57:56 AM »
Not exactly correct- most Fudgers have no KiPass but those special few do. Ever notice a Fudger that somehow seems not as bad as the others? Not as ugly, not as slow? If you were thinking that it had been somehow enhanced, you would be correct!

<ROFLMAO> two times. How come I didn't find this thread sooner?

Brian

FJR has no KiPass 
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #28 on: May 24, 2012, 11:59:10 AM »
Yes, if only someone made fail safe.... and perhaps called it a bypass?

Brian

My brother-in-law bought a new Road King. Believe it or not, it also has a fob. Not sure how it functions - perhaps it still lets you operate in conventional way. Have not looked at it closely.

But yeah, I have my bike for 2 years now and Kipass is nice regardless what others say. Although it would be nice for Kawasaki to put a fail safe in case Kipass fails (which it did in a very small number of people).
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #29 on: May 24, 2012, 11:59:58 AM »
Not exactly correct- most Fudgers have no KiPass but those special few do. Ever notice a Fudger that somehow seems not as bad as the others? Not as ugly, not as slow? If you were thinking that it had been somehow enhanced, you would be correct!

<ROFLMAO> two times. How come I didn't find this thread sooner?

Brian
:rotflmao: Now THAT's funny!!

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #30 on: May 24, 2012, 12:01:46 PM »
Can you expand on that a bit Wendel? I think we all want to hear more, a LOT more, about this bypass....    ;D

Actually the bypass does not actually bypass KiPass, only the activation switch which is the only part that has ever failed to my knowledge.

Brian

<snip>

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #31 on: May 24, 2012, 12:08:19 PM »
If memory serves, that photo was taken of <he who must not be named>'s bike in the parking lot of Mystic Pizza. It struck me as pretty funny while I was taking the picture too. Not so much the Fudger owner.

By the way, and OFFTOPIC (although this whole thread is now), I gave away a bypass at the first COG event of the season, the Spring Fling. I introduced it as Kirby's KiPass Korrection Kit but subtitled it 'Cap'n Bob's memorial KiPass Bypass'. Cap'n Bob was sitting at the same table as I was and thought it was mildly amusing. What was funny though was that afterward he told me that he thought I would rig the raffle to award him the bypass.... (nope, I would not do that- rig any raffle)

Brian

:rotflmao: Now THAT's funny!!

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #32 on: May 24, 2012, 12:12:35 PM »
If memory serves, that photo was taken of <he who must not be named>'s bike in the parking lot of Mystic Pizza. It struck me as pretty funny while I was taking the picture too. Not so much the Fudger owner.

By the way, and OFFTOPIC (although this whole thread is now), I gave away a bypass at the first COG event of the season, the Spring Fling. I introduced it as Kirby's KiPass Korrection Kit but subtitled it 'Cap'n Bob's memorial KiPass Bypass'. Cap'n Bob was sitting at the same table as I was and thought it was mildly amusing. What was funny though was that afterward he told me that he thought I would rig the raffle to award him the bypass.... (nope, I would not do that- rig any raffle)

Brian
That's funny! And we all know what happened to Kirby!  ;D

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #33 on: May 24, 2012, 02:02:13 PM »
As I've told my kids many times, accurately describing the problem is often very close to accurately describing the solution.  All you have to do is get a "normal" key cut and put it on your key-ring.  Then your wish has come true.

You're welcome.

Thanks, sort of but I don't think you understand what I'm really griping about.  I'm not complaining about Kipass in itself but rather what I consider a design flaw that does not allow the side cases to remain in an unlocked state, which negates Kipass' utility to a large extent for my mission.  Fumbling around on my keychain for a spare key or fumbling with the stovepipe isn't that different than extracting the key from the fob, at least in my opinion.

Yes the fabricated key-knob left on the case solves that problem somewhat, but it's just another loose piece on the bike that has to be watched and managed, and if you need the cases locked then you have to stow the knob(s) someplace.  One of these days I'm going to figure out a mechanical work around.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #34 on: May 24, 2012, 02:47:48 PM »
Thanks, sort of but I don't think you understand what I'm really griping about.  I'm not complaining about Kipass in itself but rather what I consider a design flaw that does not allow the side cases to remain in an unlocked state, which negates Kipass' utility to a large extent for my mission.  Fumbling around on my keychain for a spare key or fumbling with the stovepipe isn't that different than extracting the key from the fob, at least in my opinion.

Yes the fabricated key-knob left on the case solves that problem somewhat, but it's just another loose piece on the bike that has to be watched and managed, and if you need the cases locked then you have to stow the knob(s) someplace.  One of these days I'm going to figure out a mechanical work around.

That's cool.  New definition/clarification of the problem ~ new potential solution.  Are there bikes out there that do what you want to do?  Have you inspected their latching/locking mechanisms?  Have you taken the bags to a locksmith and explained your complaint to see what they might propose as a solution?  Does the solution have to be mechanical?  Could it be electric, electronic or electro-mechanical?  How much ($/time) does the problem bother you?  I spent about 18 months bugged with the stock mirrors before coming up with the mirror risers.  Turns out there wasn't much of a market for the product, or I just tapped it poorly, but I still think it was/is a great solution.  Sometimes great ideas pay off, and sometimes all you have is some personal satisfaction.  Good luck with this.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #35 on: May 24, 2012, 03:01:52 PM »
Makes my head spin thinking about it...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #36 on: May 24, 2012, 03:15:40 PM »
Before I bought the bike I thought the Kpass was a waste, but I am coming around.  I've lost count of how many times I've had to take my gloves back off to fish my key out of my pocket on my other bikes.  With the Connie, just hop on, push down, wait for the click and turn it on.  Get to the store, park the bike turn it off and walk away.  Definitely spoiling me.

Not my experience at all.  Since I have to also open at least one case almost every time I get on or off the bike, I still have to find and mess with keys.  If the Keypass unlocked the bags and the tank- now THAT would be convenient (and rather complex).  Otherwise, it really doesn't impress me all that much.  Haven't had any PROBLEM with it, however.  But I could take it or leave it.  I would much rather that expense had been put into a factory installed cruise control system.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #37 on: May 24, 2012, 03:20:40 PM »
>Are there bikes out there that do what you want to do?  Have you inspected their latching/locking mechanisms?

Yes - my BMW 1200RT was like that.  I could leave the glovebox and side bags in an unlocked state, without leaving them unlatched or unlocked from the bike itself.  I've never had or heard of any complaints about the locking or latching mechanism.

>Have you taken the bags to a locksmith and explained your complaint to see what they might propose as a solution?

No, I suspect it's a custom fab job beyond the scope of a normal locksmith.

>Does the solution have to be mechanical?  Could it be electric, electronic or electro-mechanical?

I would prefer it be mechanical.  I see no advantage of an electromechanical system other than another potential failure point.

>How much ($/time) does the problem bother you?

Enough to jack an unrelated thread to rant about it, but not enough to spend much time to actually do something about it.  So far.  It's not real high on the priority list.

>I spent about 18 months bugged with the stock mirrors before coming up with the mirror risers.  Turns out there wasn't much of a market for the product, or I just tapped it poorly, but I still think it was/is a great solution.  Sometimes great ideas pay off, and sometimes all you have is some personal satisfaction.  Good luck with this.

Ok thank you.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #38 on: May 24, 2012, 03:38:24 PM »
But you do not have to 'find and mess' with any keys- the key is in the ignition, patiently waiting for any <authorized> person (anyone who has a valid fob) to access it. Just reach forward, grab the stove knob key, and use it wherever you need to. Clearly this was Kawasaki's intention all the while or they would not have labeled the place where the key can be removed FSS for Fuel, Saddlebag, Saddle.

Finally, a KiPass thread disguised as something (anything) else. Yea!  :)

Brian

Not my experience at all.  Since I have to also open at least one case almost every time I get on or off the bike, I still have to find and mess with keys.  If the Keypass unlocked the bags and the tank- now THAT would be convenient (and rather complex).  Otherwise, it really doesn't impress me all that much.  Haven't had any PROBLEM with it, however.  But I could take it or leave it.  I would much rather that expense had been put into a factory installed cruise control system.

Offline B.D.F.

« Reply #39 on: May 24, 2012, 03:41:45 PM »
So let's see- this thread has been jacked away from anything to do with an FJR and then you come along and further jack it away from its newly jacked position of a KiPass thread.... ? Great. On that thought, I hate chunky (lumpy) peanut butter! It has always looked to me as though it is really smooth peanut butter that was not left in the blender long enough.

There we go....  ;D

Brian