Author Topic: Oil Change Interval with Synthetic Oil  (Read 21648 times)

Offline fmwhit

Oil Change Interval with Synthetic Oil
« on: May 14, 2012, 02:34:43 PM »
I have always used conventional oil in the bike.  I am now considering after 17k miles to making the switch to synthetic oil.  I currently change the oil at abt 1500 miles.  I am wondering what is the typical interval to change the oil before the shifting starts getting notchy with synthetic oil?

Fred

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: Oil Change Interval with Synthetic Oil
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2012, 02:46:26 PM »
Oil Thread!!!!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2012, 02:58:21 PM »
Sigh...
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2012, 02:58:56 PM »
I have gone from 3000 miles with dino, to 5000 with synthetic. If I changed my oil every 1500, I would be chaning the oil every other weekend.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Conrad

« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2012, 03:08:00 PM »
I have always used conventional oil in the bike.  I am now considering after 17k miles to making the switch to synthetic oil.  I currently change the oil at abt 1500 miles.  I am wondering what is the typical interval to change the oil before the shifting starts getting notchy with synthetic oil?

Fred

I'd say that you'd be very safe if you at least doubled your current oil change interval.
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Taff

« Reply #5 on: May 14, 2012, 03:24:54 PM »

Fred

You would be wise to extend the oil change interval if you are switching to synthetic due to the price.
If you ride hard, then it is wise to change the oil and filter earlier than you have been advised. Running synthetic for 5000 miles is not going to hurt the engine as my other bike has semi-synthetic oil which gets changed at 6000 miles intervals.

Jon.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #6 on: May 14, 2012, 04:00:28 PM »

Fred

If I did that, I'd be changing the oil every couple weeks.  I go 5,000 mile intervals, but I ride it pretty hard.

Offline olie

« Reply #7 on: May 14, 2012, 04:40:56 PM »
the issue is not the engine... when the shifting starts to get notchy, time to change the oil.
13 Blue Connie, 8/4/2013
16 Green Versys 1k
11 Red Vette

Offline So Cal Joe

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 05:29:49 PM »
With today's oils there is no need to change oil at 1500 miles. The book calls for 7500 miles and that's with conventional oil. Synthetic oil is made to go 10,000 miles between changes, the problem is what shape is you oil filter in at that point.  Shell Rotella T6 is a full synthetic and it only cost about $25.00 a gallon. A big percentage of Gold Wing riders use it in the Gold wings with great results.

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline gildaguz

« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 05:51:31 PM »
Motul - 300V Ester Synthetic Oil  here 9k with no problem
2009 Non ABS Concours Black
2006 Honda VTX 1300 C candy Orange
2004 Honda Shadow  Sabre 750
1979 Suzuki 185 all terrain

Offline Cuda

« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 08:15:36 PM »
the issue is not the engine... when the shifting starts to get notchy, time to change the oil.

Amen
Old and SLOW                   COG 11405
Gods waiting room Naples
2011 Atomic  Silver

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #11 on: May 14, 2012, 08:20:26 PM »
 :banghead:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Taff

Offline Rhino

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2012, 01:13:18 AM »
I go by the book and change at 7500 miles but I do use synthetic.

Offline katata1100

« Reply #14 on: May 15, 2012, 08:29:26 AM »
.  Shell Rotella T6 is a full synthetic and it only cost about $25.00 a gallon. A big percentage of Gold Wing riders use it in the Gold wings with great results.

"Fully synthetic"? Care to define? Rotella is hydrocracked dino oil, nothing more. I used Rotella for years, then when the new T6 crap came out, I tried it and within 50 miles, my suzuki had bad shifty and grabby clutch. Dumped the oil and replaced with real synthetic (pao/ester blend) and been good for the last couple of years.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #15 on: May 15, 2012, 08:35:22 AM »
By the way OP, thank you for giving me another oil thread in which to participate.

I don't think I could bring myself to change the oil at 7,500 miles using mineral oil though.  I might consider it with synthetic.

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2012, 11:40:22 AM »
I have always used conventional oil in the bike.  I am now considering after 17k miles to making the switch to synthetic oil. I currently change the oil at abt 1500 miles.  I am wondering what is the typical interval to change the oil before the shifting starts getting notchy with synthetic oil?

Fred

“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2012, 11:49:36 AM »

Must have more dollars than cents (sense).  ::)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2012, 03:32:33 PM »
OK, well, here is my post to add to the "yet another oil thread"...

I use synthetic in all my vehicles after breakin (usually my second oil change).  The main plus of synthetic is that it lasts much longer.  It probably performs better in other ways (less wear, better stick, better resistance to contamination, etc, etc) but everything is arguable.  Most people will agree that synthetic oil absolutely lasts way longer before breakdown.

I typically double the recommended oil change period and ignore the time period or at least double that too.  So if the recommendation is (as it is for the Concours) "replace oil every 7,500 miles or 12 months", I will replace every 15,000 and don't care about how long that is.  Has served me fine for many, many years.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #19 on: May 15, 2012, 03:44:13 PM »
 :yikes: ;)
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.