Author Topic: Oil Change Interval with Synthetic Oil  (Read 21650 times)

Offline Mister Tee

Re: Oil Change Interval with Synthetic Oil
« Reply #20 on: May 15, 2012, 04:30:11 PM »
OK, well, here is my post to add to the "yet another oil thread"...

I use synthetic in all my vehicles after breakin (usually my second oil change).  The main plus of synthetic is that it lasts much longer.  It probably performs better in other ways (less wear, better stick, better resistance to contamination, etc, etc) but everything is arguable.  Most people will agree that synthetic oil absolutely lasts way longer before breakdown.

I typically double the recommended oil change period and ignore the time period or at least double that too.  So if the recommendation is (as it is for the Concours) "replace oil every 7,500 miles or 12 months", I will replace every 15,000 and don't care about how long that is.  Has served me fine for many, many years.

Do you go 15,000 miles in your Concours?

Offline lather

• Arena
  • And I think my spaceship knows which way to go...
    • Louisiana Chapter MSTA
« Reply #21 on: May 15, 2012, 04:42:02 PM »
the issue is not the engine... when the shifting starts to get notchy, time to change the oil.
I always change my oil BEFORE my shifting gets notchy... because it NEVER gets notchy, except that time I forgot to tighten the shift rod adjuster lock nut. I use synthetic and change my oil at around 6000.
Nothing worse than having your balls go missing.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 05:09:53 PM »
Do you go 15,000 miles in your Concours?

Hell no!  I only have 3,500 miles on my year-old bike right now.  I live walking distance to work, have little time during the week to ride, and my body can't take long drives anymore.

My only point was that you can easily double the miles and double or triple (or more) the time frame for oil changes with synthetic.  It will be a looooong time before I change the (now synthetic) oil in my Concours :)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Spanky

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 05:10:33 PM »
Mobil 1 RULES! The rest just drools.    :stirpot:     :hitfan:

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 07:00:00 PM »
I will replace every 15,000 and don't care about how long that is.  Has served me fine for many, many years.

I only have 3,500 miles on my year-old bike right now.  I live walking distance to work, have little time during the week to ride, and my body can't take long drives anymore.

So Max you're not gonna change your Connie oil for 5 years??  :o

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 08:45:03 PM »
Mobil 1 RULES! The rest just drools.    :stirpot:     :hitfan:

Not the oil it used to be IMHO.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 10:19:36 PM »

So Max you're not gonna change your Connie oil for 5 years??  :o

Well, I hope to be riding more frequently in the future.  But, who knows.
5 years?  Probably not.  After 3 years I will probably replace it just for the hell of it.  Don't panic,  good oil doesn't fall apart just sitting in the bike anymore than it does sitting in a bottle on the shelf.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Conrad

« Reply #27 on: May 16, 2012, 04:45:39 AM »
I always change my oil BEFORE my shifting gets notchy... because it NEVER gets notchy, except that time I forgot to tighten the shift rod adjuster lock nut. I use synthetic and change my oil at around 6000.

Wait a minute; you forgot to tighten up a fastener?    :o    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 04:47:09 AM »
 :yikes: :rotflmao:
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 07:18:13 AM »
I've always believed that virtually any oil, synthetic or not will last a long time from a chemical standpoint.  The problem is that if you take shorter rides or let the bike sit for extended periods that the bigger issue is oil becoming contaminated from moisture.  In that case, it doesn't matter if the oil is synthetic or not.

I run synthetic in everything I have, but I don't do it to extend my oil change intervals.  I do it because I believe that synthetic oil is a better and more stable oil that holds up to extreme temperatures and "abuse" better than conventional oils.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 11:15:33 AM »
Wait a minute; you forgot to tighten up a fastener?    :o    ;)

:rotflmao: :stirpot:

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 05:25:42 PM »
I use moble 1....change oil and filter when I change rear PS3...
77 KZ900 (still riding) 05 C10, 2010 C14

Offline blanton

• Rural East TEXAS
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 05:29:47 PM »
And what better place to do 100 posts than an oil thread!

77 KZ900 (still riding) 05 C10, 2010 C14

Offline reesedp

• Sail Army
« Reply #33 on: May 16, 2012, 06:49:56 PM »
2-3k with synthetic for me!

Offline Summit670

« Reply #34 on: May 17, 2012, 12:11:46 PM »
Moisture -  does anyone know the point of no return, IE: if you're oil show's signs of moisture/milkiness, is it possible that the moisture will burn off after 30 minutes? 60 minutes?  Ever?  Just curious.  I should have "tested" my old mower before giving it away.  I should have mixed in enough water to get the oil to start changing appearance, then let it run for a while to see if it burns away.
Arctic Cat M8 163 rules

Sleds, Dirt Bikes, ATV's, Street Bikes, Mountain Bikes.  Heck, I guess if it has handlebars I'll give it a try.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #35 on: May 17, 2012, 12:29:37 PM »
Moisture -  does anyone know the point of no return, IE: if you're oil show's signs of moisture/milkiness, is it possible that the moisture will burn off after 30 minutes? 60 minutes?  Ever?  Just curious.  I should have "tested" my old mower before giving it away.  I should have mixed in enough water to get the oil to start changing appearance, then let it run for a while to see if it burns away.

Go into your kitchen and get the blender out. Dump some motor oil and water in and hit the high button, don't forget the lid. Let 'er mix away for a couple of minutes. Dump the goop into a pan and let it simmer on the stove for a while and see what happens. If your wife objects, tell her your doing research for the guys on your MC forum, she'll understand.   

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #36 on: May 17, 2012, 12:32:55 PM »

If your oil is milky, change it.  And then try to figure out what's causing the milkiness.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #37 on: May 17, 2012, 02:22:41 PM »

I don't know if it works that way or not, but let me share a saying an old boss of mine used to have about employees who were trouble makers..."you can mix ice cream and cow manure - it doesn't hurt the manure, but it plays hell with the ice cream". 
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline Conrad

« Reply #38 on: May 17, 2012, 02:38:59 PM »
I don't know if it works that way or not, but let me share a saying an old boss of mine used to have about employees who were trouble makers..."you can mix ice cream and cow manure - it doesn't hurt the manure, but it plays hell with the ice cream".

That's a wise man.

Offline Mister Tee

« Reply #39 on: May 18, 2012, 08:43:52 AM »
It really doesn't take much moisture in the oil at all to cause a milky appearance on the sight glass.  The condensate collects right at the edge of the top of the oil level.  Short trips and cold weather will cause that.