Author Topic: Wow! What a difference....ear plugs  (Read 10054 times)

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
Wow! What a difference....ear plugs
« on: May 12, 2012, 08:07:25 AM »
I am sure this is old news for most of you here. Yesterday, two buddies and myself too off work early for a ride. Actually one didn't show up to work. Shortly before leaving work he called me and asked me to grab a few sets of ear plugs for him as he forgot to get his. I grabbed a few sets for myself as I had always meant to try them but never thought about it until I was on the bike. We both put in a set before leaving work.
That was the quietest ride I have ever been on! I could hear myself think and everything ( not always a good thing ). They still give me a slight headache when wearing them but nothing like the headache I'd have after 5 hours of wind noise without them.
We had a great ride, beautiful day and no problems other than having to stop about every 75 miles so my buddy could put gas in his V-Max.

Matt
« Last Edit: May 14, 2012, 04:11:44 AM by VirginiaJim »
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline jjsC6

Re: Wow! What a difference.
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2012, 08:28:57 AM »
I agree.  Up until about three years ago I just couldn't deal with ear plugs.  I finally ordered a sample set from Aerostich and found a pair or two I could handle.  Now I can't even think about riding without them anymore.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline BMahar

« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2012, 08:48:16 AM »
I am sure this is old news for most of you here. Yesterday, two buddies and myself too off work early for a ride. Actually one didn't show up to work. Shortly before leaving work he called me and asked me to grab a few sets of ear plugs for him as he forgot to get his. I grabbed a few sets for myself as I had always meant to try them but never thought about it until I was on the bike. We both put in a set before leaving work.
That was the quietest ride I have ever been on! I could hear myself think and everything ( not always a good thing ). They still give me a slight headache when wearing them but nothing like the headache I'd have after 5 hours of wind noise without them.
We had a great ride, beautiful day and no problems other than having to stop about every 75 miles so my buddy could put gas in his V-Max.

Matt

Matt;
  What brand of Ear Plugs did you use ? I've tried the orange colored plugs (can't remember the brand name) and they want to fall out even after rolling them into the ear canal.
 Brent
2011 Concours ABS, Black

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2012, 08:56:23 AM »

Matt

You posted with a useless subject (" Wow! What a difference") and then didn't even say what brand or model of earplugs you purchased!  Bad Matt.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline katata1100

« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2012, 09:18:47 AM »
When I toured on my Katana, I'd use Hearos blue ear plugs, cheap, work well. I also take them to concerts in case they are too loud.
I used to use them on my C14 as if I didn't, my head would be ringing after a long trip. After putting on a calsci tall shield, things got so quiet that I didn't need to do this. A quieter windshield can remove the need for ear plugs, something to think about.

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2012, 11:08:41 AM »
You posted with a useless subject (" Wow! What a difference") and then didn't even say what brand or model of earplugs you purchased!  Bad Matt.

The subject line was intentional, the brand name is forgotten. They were some of the cheap foam disposables. They were in a mostly yellow package if that helps. I have a handful of different ones here to try out soon. Mostly they are still the cheap disposables but all are Howard Leight brand. The ones I used yesterday were not the Howard Leight brand.

With the warmer weather upon us here in the midwest, I am planning to reinstall my original '09 factory shield. I rode yesterday with a shield off a 2010 bike and it stayed at lowest position all day.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline Elfmaze

« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2012, 11:12:04 AM »
i've used "quiet please"  for years.  I think I have caluses in my ear canals to them though

Offline W14

« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2012, 05:21:53 PM »
I always use Macks silicone earplugs -  cost $5.00 for three sets, available at most drug stores. They are not quite as effective as the earplugs that are completely inserted into the ear but they are easy to insert and are reusable.

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #8 on: May 12, 2012, 05:32:33 PM »
Get custom plugs that are made in your ear.  You will NEVER NEVER look back or use the foam squeeze plugs again.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline r2t2

« Reply #9 on: May 12, 2012, 05:51:35 PM »
Get custom plugs that are made in your ear.  You will NEVER NEVER look back or use the foam squeeze plugs again.

Maybe... I had 2-3 sets of custom plugs made over the years and (at least for me) they get a little painful. I am most satisfied with the Howard Leigh 27 dB foamies...
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2012, 06:41:23 PM »
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2012, 07:28:13 AM »
Maybe... I had 2-3 sets of custom plugs made over the years and (at least for me) they get a little painful. I am most satisfied with the Howard Leigh 27 dB foamies...

You must have really odd ears.  Foam plugs push and cause pressure.  Plugs made in your ears shouldn't "push" any direction.  But as with most everything, there are certainly exceptions to every rule.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Joncon11

« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2012, 05:23:22 PM »
Can't imagine riding without them. Luckily I work in a place that has the foamies hanging on the walls in dispensers.

Offline basmntdweller

Re: Wow! What a difference....ear plugs
« Reply #13 on: May 14, 2012, 08:47:29 AM »
Back to work today. I checked to see what brand and model the earplugs were that I had used. They are Moldex Pura-fit 6800 with a NRR of 33. They worked awesome but they do get uncomfortable after several hours. I searched the net and found a molding kit made by Radians that I am going to try out. I bought them shipped for about $16 from The Ear Plug Superstore. They should be here by the weekend and I will see how well I can mold a set for myself.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #14 on: May 14, 2012, 10:54:12 AM »
I've been happy w/ a variety of cheap foam earplugs.  Some work better than others, but they are cheap & effective, so I've never felt much need to drop the big bucks on custom plugs.  W/o earplugs, the C14 is uncomfortably noisy at speeds over 45mph within 15 minutes.  I've been putting off cutting down the stock '08 windshield, but think I will go ahead with the project for the warmer weather.  I'll keep the oem tall w/s for cooler weather.
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2012, 02:01:05 PM »
I buy from these guys, and I buy 1000 at a time.
I use two pairs every day.
One each way.
If I use them more, I end up with ear aches.
I have used others, including the ones with the larger base, which I have experienced are harder foam, these are soft and don't make my ears hurt with extended use.
I also keep several pair in my car for my track days, or when I am at a hotel and can't sleep.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline basmntdweller

« Reply #16 on: May 14, 2012, 02:15:34 PM »
One each way.
I have used others, including the ones with the larger base, which I have experienced are harder foam, these are soft and don't make my ears hurt with extended use.
I also keep several pair in my car for my track days, or when I am at a hotel and can't sleep.

Pretty sure we have those at work too, just never tried them. One of the other guys at work said the ones I got were the ones to have. We have about 10 different foamys and several corded silicones and a couple that I am not sure what they are made of.

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #17 on: May 14, 2012, 04:39:36 PM »
One each way.

Thanks for the link MP, that's a good price for having free shipping!  :chugbeer:

Offline r2t2

« Reply #18 on: May 14, 2012, 05:57:59 PM »
You must have really odd ears.  Foam plugs push and cause pressure.  Plugs made in your ears shouldn't "push" any direction.  But as with most everything, there are certainly exceptions to every rule.

According to some... That's not all that's odd.  :rotflmao: My issues with the molded type is that they don't have as much "give" as the foamies. Hell, you can't believe how may pairs of ear buds I've gone through just to find some that don't bother my ears.
RayK
'08 C14
'06 BMW M3
'01 BMW 330i

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #19 on: May 14, 2012, 06:12:18 PM »
LOL...I've heard that a time or two about myself....  but nobody has ever described me as "sensitive"... LOL  I hated working industrial with ear plugs...better than hearing loss, but darn did my ears get sore.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384