Author Topic: Wow! What a difference....ear plugs  (Read 10057 times)

Offline Jaxter

• Blue might not be fastest, but it's my favorite
Re: Wow! What a difference....ear plugs
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2012, 07:45:24 PM »
Does anyone know of eagplugs which will filter out nagging wife?
I've Never Had A Better Day

Offline roadPilot

« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2012, 09:33:55 PM »
Does anyone know of eagplugs which will filter out nagging wife?

Roll up a few hundred dollar bills and stick them in her ears.  You won't hear her for at least a few hours ... ;)

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
Re: Wow! What a difference.
« Reply #22 on: May 15, 2012, 11:42:54 AM »
Get custom plugs that are made in your ear.  You will NEVER NEVER look back or use the foam squeeze plugs again.

Couldn't be said any better.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #23 on: May 15, 2012, 11:52:18 AM »
I can't use these, I'm too prone to ear aches from infections.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline PH14

« Reply #24 on: May 15, 2012, 03:26:09 PM »
I can't use these, I'm too prone to ear aches from infections.

Custom molded plugs are good for that since they can be cleaned easily and aren't porous. Keep them clean and you will be okay. 

Offline MrPepsi

« Reply #25 on: May 15, 2012, 03:34:34 PM »
I would have to clean them each day. I'm better off with the foam. Costs me around $100 for 2-3 years worth.
Brent Johnson 
2009 C-14 "Razzi"

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2012, 05:46:53 PM »
That does sound like a great option for you if they don't hurt your ears.  I've never found foam plugs that don't make my ears sore in an hour.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline AZ-ZG

« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2012, 11:15:29 PM »
That does sound like a great option for you if they don't hurt your ears.  I've never found foam plugs that don't make my ears sore in an hour.
  If the foam hurts in an hour you may have put them in too deep. When you take 'em out does it feel like you've taken pressure off your eardrum? The relief is "in" your head. Sometimes I stuff mine in too far. Have Big Ear brand wired with speakers. They don't get along with the Shark RSR2 very well. Gotta get everything "Just Right." Usually foams with FM radio from my Cardo system...
I live. I ride. I am. ZG14 
IBA#53928

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #28 on: May 16, 2012, 05:50:54 AM »
No, the pain is in the canal itself, from the plug expansion.
Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline PH14

« Reply #29 on: May 16, 2012, 07:01:19 AM »
I would have to clean them each day. I'm better off with the foam. Costs me around $100 for 2-3 years worth.

It takes about 20 seconds to clean them each day. I had terrible problems with pain and infections wearing foam earplugs. I wear earplugs every day and since getting the custom plugs I have had zero problems and can wear them all day with no pain. Well worth the $90.

Offline ManWorkinghere

• 2001 Kawasaki Concours ZG1000A
Re: Wow! What a difference.
« Reply #30 on: May 16, 2012, 10:41:11 AM »
The subject line was intentional, the brand name is forgotten. They were some of the cheap foam disposables. They were in a mostly yellow package if that helps.

Matt

I found two sets of corded yellow foam earplugs at Farm and Fleet for $3. Clear packaging.

Have a 26.5" CeeBailey shield blocks a lot of wind.  But using the earplugs quiet things down nicely.

Matt also
after 2012 Rallybefore 2012 RallyCOG#9292:-)

Offline SVonhof

• 2009 C14
« Reply #31 on: May 16, 2012, 01:18:39 PM »
Glad somebody posted a link to the thread I started a while ago.
[i,g]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v612/SVonhof/moto/IMAG0516.jpg[/img]
I still use those plugs every time I ride and I only have an issue with discomfort when I am on the bike for 3+ hours in a day. And that is just minor discomfort, nothing to cause me to remove them from pain.

I have never had luck with the foam ones as I can never get them to seal properly. I like the custom ones I have especially for the fact that they DON'T filter out 30+ DB of sound, and take the edge off the engine and wind noise, but still let me hear things like sirens, music or people talking when I stop to show my badge when going in to work in the morning.
Scott
ZX-6D --> CBR600F3 --> TL1000R --> Concours 14
Mods: Two Bro's Titanium Slip-on, Shad SH46 trunk, PCA luggage rack, AeroFlow windscreen, Corbin saddles, Helibar risers, LED brake flashers, "divintymotor" (Ebay) LED tail light, ProjektD sidestand Bigfoot and Helmet locks, Vario Passenger pegs, Oxford Heaterz grips

Offline dolomoto

• '08 C14 "Hot, Nasty, Bad-Ass Speed"
« Reply #32 on: May 16, 2012, 07:06:28 PM »
I keep about a dozen pairs of hearing protection with me at all times...any ride over 30m...and the hearing protection goes in.

I also like to listen to music and had some Shure earbuds that provided minimal hearing protection. After they wore out, I went with some damn OTS earbuds from a big box store.

This year at Daytona Bike Week, I got a set of dB Plugz  http://www.dbplugz.com/product_info.php?directimage=#/content/Product%20Slideshows/Product%20Info/1.jpg  earspeakers/hearing protection. They sound great and provide around 28db reduction. They are custom fit, took about 5m to mold, 30 of waiting for them to cure...and they were good to go. They'll probably last many 10's of thousands of miles. They cost about $180.

My hearing is worth it.

YMMV.

Offline chipmaker

« Reply #33 on: May 17, 2012, 12:00:45 PM »
I have a big ole head, but small ear canals.  I have been happy with these for a few years.  They are re-usable and I clean them when needed.  Because of the style you can push them in as needed, with the foam ones, I felt like I had to jam them in too far.  I do usually cut off the cord...
http://www.howardleight.com/earplugs/airsoft--2
2012 Ram Express
2012 C-14
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS