Author Topic: Shoei Neotec update  (Read 14943 times)

Offline Dodgedoc

Shoei Neotec update
« on: April 29, 2012, 07:00:37 PM »
last week I bought a new helmet to go with my 2010 c14.It has been cold and raining all week . Today I was able to get out for about 2 hours or 90 miles . At first the the Neo was snug , it is a size medium and my head is at the smaller end of the size chart. The only options for fit is different size cheek pads ,all the helmets come with 35mm pads but there are 31mm pad replacements. Started out on the hiway and quickly realized how quiet this helmet is. The vents on top flow enough alr to move your hair around with only a slight wind noise at hiway speeds. The front shield has 5 detents and is solid at each position. The tinted shield that moves up and down easily and works without that plastic on plastic sound . Quiet and smooth. The chinbar operates with 2 fingers again quiet and smooth. After about 20 minutes I forgot how tight it felt and it very comfortable. Now I was is the slower back roads and this where I started playing wiyh te shields and riding with the chinbar in the up position, at all phases this helmet is quiet, smooth,and comfortable. It is truely the best helmet I have ever had.It is a all helmet.

Pros fit and finish very clean
       quiet
       smooth operation of all moving parts
       all day comfort

Cons I thought the price was high until I rode with it
        it is so quiet that I can not hear the bike running , time to get a Muzzy I quess
« Last Edit: May 02, 2012, 11:08:21 AM by Dodgedoc »
We would not be here now if we did not leave there then

Offline ZG

• Arena
Re: Shoei Neotec update
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2012, 08:10:42 PM »
Thanks for the review DD, I have one of these on my hunting list...

Offline koval68

« Reply #2 on: April 30, 2012, 05:10:40 AM »
My Qwest will have to do for now.....if I come home with another helmet, more than likely I will end up like John Bobbitt... :-[ :o
Tom"Killer"Kowalski   COG#9263  Newmarket,Ontario
"Earth provides enough to satisfy every man's need,  but not every man's greed."
- Mahatma Gandhi

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2012, 05:22:58 AM »
Then you're wearing the helmet on the right head.

Offline XHarleyRider

« Reply #4 on: April 30, 2012, 02:27:00 PM »
I currently have an Scorpion EXO 1000 and the faceshield will not fog up no matter what. It's great.  This must be a result of some coating on the shield.  Does the Shoie remain fog free and if so it is a result of venting or a coating on the shield?  I have had several Shoei helmets and they were very comfortable.  Thanks---Rick

Offline Dodgedoc

« Reply #5 on: April 30, 2012, 06:33:24 PM »
yes there is a coating

Offline GIXXERKELLY

• come on...bark like a dog
« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2012, 07:24:06 PM »
What helmet did you have before?
2010 Connie 14 Blue

Offline kdm

• Arena
  • Lakeland , Florida
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2012, 06:50:45 AM »
Would you be familiar with the Qwest or the RF1000 ? Interested to know how it compares for noise ,perceived weight,with these two .
To me ,the Qwest is the real successor to the 1000, they feel like the same helmet.

Would sure like that sunvisor and flip feature ,though!
2001 C10  - sold
2008 C14

Offline Dodgedoc

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2012, 12:30:18 PM »
previous helmets   Bell Magnum 3/4 with full retractable shield buzzs and rattles falling apart in 18 months
                            HJC 3/4 10 years worn out
                            Arai Quantum full face still have it, very good but not as quiet as the Neo

Offline JerBear

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2012, 04:04:48 PM »
This is the helmet that I use, it is not nearly as quiet as the Shoei but it is 40% of their price.  I love the sun shade I hate digging for my clip-ons and it works good over my regular glasses.

http://www.motorcyclecloseouts.com/sport/modular+helmets/hjc_is-max+bt+helmet+-+solid
2008 C14 Non-ABS

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2012, 05:17:45 PM »
Hopefully the sunshield will make it's way into the entire line of Shoei helmets.  Or at least into the so called touring line like the Quest.  I'm sick of them changing shield styles so that you need to buy a new tinited visor every time you upgrade.  Of course I can get the helmets 50% off so I guess I shouldn't complain too much.

Offline IDZG14

« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2012, 12:52:24 PM »
This was a review I posted a couple months ago on another forum after buying my Neotec.

After two years of extreme wind noise, and having to wear ear plugs with my HJC IS-MAX BT Modular, I decided it was time for a new helmet. I am getting ready for a trip to flagstaff in May and wanted to have a Bluetooth communication system in my helmet, and the HJC was not going to cut it.

The requirements that I was looking for included (quiet, or as quiet as a modular can be) an internal visor, secure chin bar, and lightweight. After reading plenty of reviews, the Schubereth modular (probably the best, but also the most expensive), I decided on the new Shoei Neotec. No dealer in town had any in stock yet (wanted to try one on). I ended up ordering from Revzilla.com since they have a hassle-free return policy and they had the lowest price on the internet. I ended up with the helmet in two days and luckily the helmet fit perfectly.

The first thing I noticed was how much more this helmet sealed around my head compared to my HJC. It includes a removable breath guard as well as the Shoei Pinlock system (anti-fog) which was a separate purchase with the multitec.

I went for a 50 mile ride, and I have to say this helmet is very quiet for a modular helmet. I love the internal visor. Unlike the internal visor in my HJC that seemed to be too close to my face and rest on the top of my nose (annoying), the Neotec visor comes down farther, and does not make contact with my nose. The venting which is suppose to be the biggest improvement over the Multitec, is very impressive. Although it is not warm by any means yet, you can really feel the difference with the rear vent to allow the air to flow through the top of the helmet over the head. I will probably appreciate this more as the weather heats up.

I purchased a Cardo Scala Rider G4 for this helmet. I can take phone calls, listen to music, GPS, and intercom without having to wear earplugs. I would highly recommend this helmet to anyone looking for a quiet modular.
2010 Concours 14, 2008 HD Softail Custom

Offline Dodgedoc

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2012, 05:50:07 PM »
when I was testing my Neo I left my sunglasses on and the tinted shield slid past it without any issues, double tint. Wow!

Offline GordonM

« Reply #13 on: May 04, 2012, 09:10:44 AM »
Would you be familiar with the Qwest or the RF1000 ? Interested to know how it compares for noise ,perceived weight,with these two .
To me ,the Qwest is the real successor to the 1000, they feel like the same helmet.

Would sure like that sunvisor and flip feature ,though!

I would say that the Neotec is a modular Qwest. 

I have ridden a Qwest for over a year and really liked it, until I received the Neotec.  The fit and feel is great and it is well padded and very comfortable.  Sizing is the same as the Qwest.  I like the Neotec better than even the C3.

An XL Neotec weighs 1888 gms (4.162 lbs), 4.9 ozs more than an XL Qwest weighs 1749 gms (3.85 lbs).  I did not notice the extra weight and grew to love the added ventilation of the Neotec over the Qwest.

I have always had trouble with fogging on chilly mornings in stop and go traffic (commuting) with helmets using chin curtains and the Neotec  has some similar problems, but great ventilation clears the visor quickly and the pinlock helps too.  The chin curtain traps all that moist air in the helmet where the Qwest has no chin curtain and I had less fogging.  Most of time I crack the visor open a couple of stops and I sit at those dumb stop lights fog free.

The Neotec is quieter than the Qwest. Start opening up all the vents and the noise level does increase.  But still less than the Qwest.

I can't wait to try the Neotec out when we start getting into the 90's should be a great summer helmet.

Gordon

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2012, 08:04:58 AM »
I would say that the Neotec is a modular Qwest. 

I have ridden a Qwest for over a year and really liked it, until I received the Neotec.  The fit and feel is great and it is well padded and very comfortable.  Sizing is the same as the Qwest.  I like the Neotec better than even the C3.

An XL Neotec weighs 1888 gms (4.162 lbs), 4.9 ozs more than an XL Qwest weighs 1749 gms (3.85 lbs).  I did not notice the extra weight and grew to love the added ventilation of the Neotec over the Qwest.

I have always had trouble with fogging on chilly mornings in stop and go traffic (commuting) with helmets using chin curtains and the Neotec  has some similar problems, but great ventilation clears the visor quickly and the pinlock helps too.  The chin curtain traps all that moist air in the helmet where the Qwest has no chin curtain and I had less fogging.  Most of time I crack the visor open a couple of stops and I sit at those dumb stop lights fog free.

The Neotec is quieter than the Qwest. Start opening up all the vents and the noise level does increase.  But still less than the Qwest.

I can't wait to try the Neotec out when we start getting into the 90's should be a great summer helmet.

Gordon

Just for clarification, The Qwest does come with a chin curtain though yours was not installed. I have 2 and they both had the curtains included.
I am looking forward to the added ventalation with the Neotec.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2012, 02:31:27 AM »

I Gordon,
How did you arrive to that number? I received my Neotec in XL size a couple of weeks ago and, according to my digital kitchen scale  ;D it weighs 1665 grams with all the accessories included.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline GordonM

« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2012, 09:32:20 AM »
I Gordon,
How did you arrive to that number? I received my Neotec in XL size a couple of weeks ago and, according to my digital kitchen scale  ;D it weighs 1665 grams with all the accessories included.

I guess your lucky enough to get a light one.  Mine still measures about the same on my Sunbeam digital postal scale.  1888 gms without pinlock, 1900 gms with pinlock.  Web bike world size L 1812 gms, Revzilla 1757 gms.  Ultimately it does not matter that much once you start riding with it and get used to the helmet. My Schubert C3 is lighter but it was uncomfortable for me due to the padding and the pressure points on my forehead.

Gordon

Offline cablebandit

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2012, 10:27:57 AM »

The Neotec is quieter than the Qwest.

Any hard numbers on this?  The quest is advertised as damn quiet. with actual numbers.  I find it had to believe that any modular is quieter than a full face helmet.  If it is than it may be my next helmet it Shoei doesn't get off their ass and put an integrated sun shade in all their touring helmets.

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2012, 04:03:23 AM »
I Gordon,

Well, the silver helmet reflects light and a darker helmet absorbs more light so I'm thinking that those extra photons could be the difference maker.......or not.  That's all I have at the moment.

That could also be why the silver bikes are faster as well, the photons push them just a bit more.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Goat

« Reply #19 on: June 03, 2012, 03:14:14 AM »
I too just picked up a Neotec and am happy with the noise levels, function, and fit.  The clearcoat on the paint is another issue.  Everytime I tough it it scratches!!  >:(  I still have my Arai which I've used for the same rides with same equipment, etc and it shows no scratches in 5 years.  The Shoei is showing scratches on the chin vent, main vent, and anywhere else I've had to touch.  Disgraceful for a helmet costing this much!!!