Author Topic: Shoei Neotec update  (Read 14936 times)

Offline Dodgedoc

Re: Shoei Neotec update
« Reply #20 on: June 03, 2012, 05:40:04 PM »
last week 300 mile day in 95 degree heat ,worked well in all phases ,lite silver paint with no marks on it hope my paint does not become a problem
We would not be here now if we did not leave there then

Offline JeffM

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2012, 06:09:38 PM »
Goat,

I've read lots of reviews on this helmet and you're the first I've seen with a paint problem. Maybe you got a bad clearcoat. I'd contact Shoei and maybe they'll help you.

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #22 on: June 04, 2012, 10:21:28 AM »
A helmet thread?  Cool! 

After my last Shoei (RF-700) failed to even come close to the claims, promises, or expectations, I vowed it would be a long time before I considered buying that brand again (overpriced, under delivered were my thoughts as I recall). 

Looking at the MSRP of the Neotec, I can't believe their asking price.  Comparing it to the Scorpion EXO-900 (of which I have 2, one white, one black), what makes it so great that they can ask double the price?  It looks to be about 85grams lighter, but I don't see any features it has that the Scorpion doesn't.  In fact, it doesn't have the neck roll pump that the EXO-900 has.  The Scorpion also comes with a second chin skirt that extends the reach of the first, that I thought was too much, and don't use.  The primary one (which is removable) is just enough for me.  Also, the venting at the top of the helmet works great, better then any helmet I've owned to date.

So far all I've read here about the Neotec is "it's quiet".  My EXO-900 is very quite with the shield all the way down, at least compared to the 2 previous HJC Symax helmets I replaced.  With it up, there's some wind noise, but I would expect that.

All helmets have different shapes and sizes, so some will fit better than others.  I've found that by simply sanding down the Styrofoam at the pressure points, any helmet that is close, can be made to fit comfortably.  Once you've determined your size, then simply customize it to better match the shape of your head.
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: June 04, 2012, 10:27:51 AM »
A helmet thread?  Cool! 

After my last Shoei (RF-700) failed to even come close to the claims, promises, or expectations, I vowed it would be a long time before I considered buying that brand again (overpriced, under delivered were my thoughts as I recall). 

Looking at the MSRP of the Neotec, I can't believe their asking price.  Comparing it to the Scorpion EXO-900 (of which I have 2, one white, one black), what makes it so great that they can ask double the price?  It looks to be about 85grams lighter, but I don't see any features it has that the Scorpion doesn't.  In fact, it doesn't have the neck roll pump that the EXO-900 has.  The Scorpion also comes with a second chin skirt that extends the reach of the first, that I thought was too much, and don't use.  The primary one (which is removable) is just enough for me.  Also, the venting at the top of the helmet works great, better then any helmet I've owned to date.

So far all I've read here about the Neotec is "it's quiet".  My EXO-900 is very quite with the shield all the way down, at least compared to the 2 previous HJC Symax helmets I replaced.  With it up, there's some wind noise, but I would expect that.

All helmets have different shapes and sizes, so some will fit better than others.  I've found that by simply sanding down the Styrofoam at the pressure points, any helmet that is close, can be made to fit comfortably.  Once you've determined your size, then simply customize it to better match the shape of your head.

My RF-1100 is pure crap too. I think i started a thread in accessories about "its the last time i purchase this brand". And I was a huge fan of Shoei before this one, can't count how many I've owned.
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2012, 12:34:30 PM »
I'm not a huge fan of the RF1100 either. I actually found the Qwest a slightly better helmet than the RF1100, but the non-removable liner was a huge problem for me. I've been bouncing back and forth between an EXO-500 and RS-1. My EXO500 has a dark smoke shield; the RS-1 has a SOLFX shield. Each have their + an -.

As for weight, I wear a XXL in most and a XXXL in Scorpion, so a couple of ozs is nothing...

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2012, 01:17:58 PM »
Good stuff to read, I own a Qwest and LOVE that helmet. The most comfortable, quiet, and best optics I have ever had. I have a visor that is clear at bottom then gets darker as it reaches the top "very neat visor". The Neotec doesnt have anything for me that would trump the Qwest, and I will have to agree that Scorpion probably makes the best helmet "for the money". How a helmet fits a person is first and foremost, the shape of the head and jawline makes a huge difference for each manufacturer and model.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline CrashGordon

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2012, 06:00:03 PM »
Oregon, I just went from a Shoei RF-1000 (very good helmet) to the Bell RS-1 just for the Sol-fx shield. The Bell is a nice helmet. About the same on ventilation and noise with the RF-1000. It was the shield that sold me and it was worth it. I commute year round--sometimes leaving before sunrise or returning after sunset during the winter and the transition shield is very handy. I looked at the Neotec and just couldn't wrap my head around the price. It was nice, though.

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2012, 06:34:53 PM »
I have both a Qwest and RF1100.  Very happy with both helmets.  To each his own.
2010 C14 ABS

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2012, 11:42:00 PM »
Well, I just passed the 5000 miles mark with my Neotec and really like it. I went back to my XR / RF 1000 and I'm glad to report that the main differences are, besides the obvious ones (flip up feature and integrated sun visor) there is also the highly improved ventilation and the extra space for my chin (which is more like a balcony  :-[). Some people mentioned the Scorpion and I agree that it is a great helmet, and even more appealing considering the price tag, but it just wouldn't fit my head, and as Pokey said, fit is the most important point.
Anyway, happy with my purchase. I wish it cost less, but I'll get over it.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2012, 11:34:04 AM »
Oregon, I just went from a Shoei RF-1000 (very good helmet) to the Bell RS-1 just for the Sol-fx shield. The Bell is a nice helmet. About the same on ventilation and noise with the RF-1000. It was the shield that sold me and it was worth it. I commute year round--sometimes leaving before sunrise or returning after sunset during the winter and the transition shield is very handy. I looked at the Neotec and just couldn't wrap my head around the price. It was nice, though.

My post wasn't clear, but I have both the RS-1 and the EXO-500 in the configurations mentioned.

I have 6 helmets in my collection now. I've been through ~12 helmets in the last 3 years. Always looking for greener grass but unable to find it...

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #30 on: June 05, 2012, 05:40:26 PM »
Wow, 12 helmets in 3ish years. How many pair of gloves have you got? :)

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: June 05, 2012, 07:45:13 PM »
My post wasn't clear, but I have both the RS-1 and the EXO-500 in the configurations mentioned.

I have 6 helmets in my collection now. I've been through ~12 helmets in the last 3 years. Always looking for greener grass but unable to find it...

Serious helmet fetish, and there is no perfect helmet there is always something that could be better. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline C1xRider

• Where did all the posts go?!??
« Reply #32 on: June 05, 2012, 08:28:05 PM »

Serious helmet fetish, and there is no perfect helmet there is always something that could be better. ;)

Hmm, that's not good, I have 10 on the shelf myself.  :-\
--------------------   BACK UP YOUR DISKS PEOPLE!! -------------------------------
2012 K1600 GTL 8), 2010 C14 ABS, 2002 HD FXSTDI, 2000 XT350, 1998 C10, 1983 V65 Magna, 1978 HD SX250

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #33 on: June 05, 2012, 11:41:55 PM »
Wow, 12 helmets in 3ish years. How many pair of gloves have you got? :)

I have 3 pairs right now, but I plan to buy a pair of Gerbings later this year...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #34 on: June 06, 2012, 04:03:08 AM »
I have one.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Slideways

« Reply #35 on: October 17, 2012, 11:25:18 PM »
Rather then start a new thread I will add my 2 cents worth here. Started back with motorcycles almost three years ago after a 25 year layoff. First helmet was a Bell Star because, well it's what I had all those years ago and I could get Bells at employee purchase pricing. Still love the way it looks but then I tried on a Shoei RF-1100. It turns out Shoei fits me like it was custom made for me. The RF-1100 was much quieter also. Just got a Noetec and it is as quiet if not quieter then the 1100. The flip up part if great, better vision, wind in the face and still quiet! The venting is great as is the tinted visor which is a God Sent on mornings with the sun right at eye level. I love this lid!!
If it can't be fixed with a hammer you can sure as hell teach it a lesson.
2008 ABS, Area P full system, Power Commander, Skene Design, Canyon Cages (personally tested, don't ask), Sargent low saddle, Tamer throttle tube, Cee Bailey Euro Tour, bar risers, Throttlemeister, Tech Spec,

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2012, 02:44:00 PM »
Rather then start a new thread I will add my 2 cents worth here. Started back with motorcycles almost three years ago after a 25 year layoff. First helmet was a Bell Star because, well it's what I had all those years ago and I could get Bells at employee purchase pricing. Still love the way it looks but then I tried on a Shoei RF-1100. It turns out Shoei fits me like it was custom made for me. The RF-1100 was much quieter also. Just got a Noetec and it is as quiet if not quieter then the 1100. The flip up part if great, better vision, wind in the face and still quiet! The venting is great as is the tinted visor which is a God Sent on mornings with the sun right at eye level. I love this lid!!

If you like the RF-1100, you should try the Quest. it is MUCH quieter than the Neotec.

I have bought 8 helmets in the last 3 years. Still use the Quest more than the Neotec.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2012, 02:49:35 PM »
If you like the RF-1100, you should try the Quest. it is MUCH quieter than the Neotec.

I have bought 8 helmets in the last 3 years. Still use the Quest more than the Neotec.

Qwest is a great helmet "love mine" but obviously not a modular like the Neotec.  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline shreveportSS

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2012, 04:49:15 PM »

Qwest is a great helmet "love mine" but obviously not a modular like the Neotec.  ;)

And the Neotec is LOUD compared to the Quest because of it.
2011 Concours 14
2011 ZX1000GBF Ninja. Died Dec. 1st, 2012
2012 ZX1000HBF Ninja.

Offline Jimmy Patriot

« Reply #39 on: October 19, 2012, 06:27:58 PM »
I ordered the Schuberth C3 from Revzilla and it didn't fit my head.  Wish it did cause it was really nice.  No hassle swap for a Shoei Multitec sz LG. Fits me like a glove and hands down the Neotec is what my next helmet will be.
2009 C-14 ABS