Author Topic: rear end fluid change  (Read 22486 times)

Offline Howard kelly

• Howard Kelly Blog
rear end fluid change
« on: April 26, 2012, 10:29:57 AM »
has anyone done this themselves?  howoften do you do it? what tool did you use to open the filler cap?

Thanks
2009 c14....because it is fun
2012 VStrom 1000 Adventure...needed a beater
Sold too many to list
Rode way too many to list...I had a cool job

Offline So Cal Joe

Re: rear end fluid change
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 10:42:12 AM »
Most of us do it. I use a big washer and a pair of plyers to open it. A quarted will also work. I do it every other oil change (6000 miles. Only takes a minute

If you are born once you will die twice
If you are born twice you will die once

Offline mcclaskeyj

• Adventure...redefined
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2012, 10:50:42 AM »
Most of us do it. I use a big washer and a pair of plyers to open it. A quarted will also work. I do it every other oil change (6000 miles. Only takes a minute
I also used a quarter and plyers to get the top opened.  ;D

And I thought I was the only one doing that cause all the rest of you seem to have a tool for everything.  ::)
'83 C70 Honda Passport   '06 Honda Rebel 250
'76 Kawasaki KZ400          '79 Suzuki GS1000L
'04 Kawasaki Ninja 250     '07 C14 ABS  '09 C14 Red                            '08 CRF230L
http://www.bikepics.com/members/mcclaskeyj/

Offline B.D.F.

• It's only really cold if you fall down in it.
    • C-14 farkles you almost cannot ride without.
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 10:58:11 AM »
As others have said, a large coin and <pliers, an adjustable wrench> to get it open. Just a suggestion but if you want to do yourself a favor, tighten it back up with a large coin and NO TOOL. That way you will be able to get it open again next time. The final drive cap is identical to the oil fill cap, and the oil fill cap is always opened / closed using nothing but hand pressure. Because the final drive filler has a slot people tend to use metal tools and over tighten it making it hard to open every single time. All you have to do is put a bit of pressure on the O-ring that seals the cap; it is not a pipe thread that would require heavy pressure to seal.

And be careful with the drain bolt too- quite a few people have stripped that by over tightening it. I would suggest tightening it with a socket mounted to a hand drive tool that is used like a screwdriver rather than an actual wrench or ratchet. Again, it only needs to be snug, not overly tight.

Brian

has anyone done this themselves?  howoften do you do it? what tool did you use to open the filler cap?

Thanks
Homo Sapiens Sapiens and just a tad of Neanderthal but it usually does not show....  My Private mail is blocked; it is not you, it is me, just like that dating partner said all those years ago. Please send an e-mail if you want to contact me privately.

KiPass keeping you up at night? Fuel gauge warning burning your retinas? Get unlimited peace and harmony here: www.incontrolne.com

Offline Howard kelly

• Howard Kelly Blog
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 04:52:11 PM »
thanks--good advice from everyone!
Sold too many to list

Taff

« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 07:45:12 PM »
Good advice from the group.

When I change my final drive oil I open the top filler plug half a turn and take a clean rag and wipe near where the "O" ring seats. I back the filler cap off and do the same procedure until all of the crud has been removed, before the filler cap parts company with the drive unit.
This removes any grud from the area before you remove the filler cap so that the crud doesn't find it's way into the drive unit itself.

I also inspect the old fluid to see if there are any metal bits that could indicate a problem up the road. For several changes, the oil will be darker and this is normal in a new bike due to break in moly additives for the gears etc. Having a little bit of metal swarf may be normal due to gear wear and break in, just don't want to see major swarf.

Hope this helps.

Jon.

Offline jonathan

« Reply #6 on: April 27, 2012, 07:49:50 AM »
It's easy enough to do, so I do it every oil change. That way I don't have to think about when the last time I did it was.

Offline ZedHed

« Reply #7 on: April 27, 2012, 08:50:49 AM »
Every other oil change -- unscrew the drain plug, let oil drain into a pan, replace drain plug, open fill plug with an appropriate tool (NOT a big screwdriver, use a washer and pliers) fill to bottom edge of fill plug with appropriate factory specified fluid, replace the filler plug and you are done.  Make sure bike is on center stand.

Better yet, buy Fred's videos................
"Life is a hard teacher - you get the test before the lesson is taught..."

Offline rwilliamm

• 2012 Concours 14 ABS
« Reply #8 on: April 27, 2012, 03:42:59 PM »
Yeah my filler plug was really tight. Used a quarter and an adjustable wrench. Ended up bending the quarter some. Didnt even try to use a flat blade screwdriver since I dont have a wide enough blade.

Offline BlkBird

« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 08:16:28 PM »
It's easy enough to do, so I do it every oil change. That way I don't have to think about when the last time I did it was.

It doesn't cost that much either.. I do it every oil change.

Maintenance is cheap, repairs are costly.

Offline Howard kelly

• Howard Kelly Blog
« Reply #10 on: April 28, 2012, 11:46:05 PM »
apparently American currency isnt worth much these day.  bent a quarter to a 90 degree ange, as well as a nickle, trying to loosen the cap.  No such luck getting it loose with coins--but feat not!  an old harley seat to fender bracket was the perfect size and it came loose instantly.
all done. no problems. all good.  thanks for the help
Sold too many to list

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2012, 09:40:26 AM »
I do mine every other oil change, and if you get a billet end cap from Murph......you can very easily remove and install it. ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Necron99

• Arena
    • Facebook Page
« Reply #12 on: April 29, 2012, 10:08:23 AM »
I just use my fingers.....  Oh, but I replaced the slotted cap with an aluminum oil fill cap.  LOL  I also use a final drive gear additive that adds moly to the mix.  Probably overkill but hey, an ounce of prevention..... 

Do not go gentle into that good night.
-Dylan Thomas

2010 ZG1400 COG #9384

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 10:53:00 AM »
I go ahead and do it every oil change. Can't hurt. You're supposed to fill it to the top of the threads while it's sitting on the center stand. It takes so little that a quart will last a looooong time.
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold

Offline h2smokin

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2012, 01:59:09 PM »
every time I do the oil, not much there and its draining while the oil is

Offline Z71

« Reply #15 on: April 29, 2012, 06:27:54 PM »
I made a tool that makes removal of the cap easy. It consists of a 7 inch long, 1/2 inch diameter hex head bolt with a right size washer firmly clamped between two nuts on one end of the bolt.  This gives me plenty of leverage.  The cost of the tool was about $ 2 for the bolt, washer, and nuts.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2014, 01:50:04 PM »
I replaced my final gear oil today for the first time myself (first time ever was at the dealer, who I had do the first oil changes).  Since the manual says to ride the bike to warm up the oil, and it was already on the center stand, I decided to start the bike and put it into third gear and let the rear wheel spin for several minutes.   Traction control doesn't like that!  It threw a "KTRC ERROR!"   Thankfully the filler cap was not hard to remove using a large washer and pliers.  Used Redline 75W90 Synthetic GL5+, which is not a straight weight oil, but I think it should be OK.

Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline fmwhit

« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2014, 04:18:28 PM »
I change my rear end fluid at least once a year.  As others have said, take the bike for a few mile ride to get the fluid a little warm before draining. Don't overfill, more is not better.  Don't over torque when replacing the drain and filler caps.

Fred

Offline MAN OF BLUES

• Arena
  • WHISKEY.Tango.Foxtrot.
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2014, 05:40:11 PM »
I replaced my final gear oil today for the first time myself (first time ever was at the dealer, who I had do the first oil changes).  Since the manual says to ride the bike to warm up the oil, and it was already on the center stand, I decided to start the bike and put it into third gear and let the rear wheel spin for several minutes.   Traction control doesn't like that!  It threw a "KTRC ERROR!"   Thankfully the filler cap was not hard to remove using a large washer and pliers.  Used Redline 75W90 Synthetic GL5+, which is not a straight weight oil, but I think it should be OK.
well, I hope you let it set for an hour before re-filling....
never spin the wheel during the re-fill.

doing the operation on the centerstand is fine, just fill till it hits the opening,

never spin the wheel during the fill...

46 YEARS OF KAW.....  47 years of DEVO..

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #19 on: April 26, 2014, 08:22:22 PM »
Did someone point out to never spin the wheel during the re-fill?

Oh, yeah, and don't forget to never spin the wheel during the re-fill.  8)
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold