Author Topic: rear end fluid change  (Read 22443 times)

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
Re: rear end fluid change
« Reply #20 on: April 26, 2014, 10:12:32 PM »
well, I hope you let it set for an hour before re-filling....
never spin the wheel during the re-fill.

doing the operation on the centerstand is fine, just fill till it hits the opening,

never spin the wheel during the fill...

I got the feeling I should never spin the wheel when filling.... the manual says so too!  I didn't spin the wheel when I filled it.  And it looks like it didn't leak or get all over like some people have said in the past.  I guess I am good to go!
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #21 on: April 27, 2014, 05:19:15 AM »
It's quite ok if you spin around while waiting, just not the rear wheel.  It's personal preference but I don't usually fill to the top.  I leave some space below the threads.  I do mine on the centerstand as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Conrad

« Reply #22 on: April 27, 2014, 07:02:14 AM »
It's quite ok if you spin around while waiting, just not the rear wheel.  It's personal preference but I don't usually fill to the top.  I leave some space below the threads.  I do mine on the centerstand as well.

CW or CCW?
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2014, 07:41:23 AM »
CW works for me.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline gPink

• Arena
  • MMVIII C XIV
« Reply #24 on: April 27, 2014, 08:36:18 AM »
has anyone done this themselves?  howoften do you do it? what tool did you use to open the filler cap?

Thanks
Wow, two pages into a two year old thread and nobody answered the guys question....try this...

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #25 on: April 27, 2014, 08:48:07 AM »
Ok, you forced my hand...

• Yes.
  • Every oil change.  Why, because it's easy to do.
  • Used a large screwdriver until I got the Murph's replacement filler caps (although I can't find them on his site now)

Offline Conrad

« Reply #26 on: April 27, 2014, 09:19:00 AM »
    Ok, you forced my hand...

• Yes.
    • Every oil change.  Why, because it's easy to do.

• Used a large screwdriver until I got the Murph's replacement filler caps (although I can't find them on his site now)
    [/list]

http://www.murphskits.com/catalog/product_info.php?cPath=130_133&products_id=412

The engine oil filler cap fits the rear drive as well.

We had a group buy on the rear drive filler caps a while back, those came from ProjektD.

http://projektd.com/product_info.php?cPath=27_39&products_id=154

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Pokey

• Arena
    • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
    « Reply #27 on: April 28, 2014, 09:57:58 AM »
    Considering that no contamination or dilution of the oil occurs in the drive system, and that the weight and viscosity more than likely changes little to none.......why would anyone feel the need to change more often than like every few years or maybe every 20K?
    2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
    08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline ZG

• Arena
    « Reply #28 on: April 28, 2014, 11:05:56 AM »
    Considering that no contamination or dilution of the oil occurs in the drive system, and that the weight and viscosity more than likely changes little to none.......why would anyone feel the need to change more often than like every few years or maybe every 20K?

When mine was changed at 13k miles it was pretty gnarly, I'd recommend every other oil change...

Offline MGvaleri

« Reply #29 on: April 28, 2014, 11:40:06 AM »
    It should do this every year or you have left in the can.

k 1 : hg 1.6 = 6,25

MGvalerio. 8)
    Centauro ancora a  60 anni,..che non finisca mai!!!

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
    • Elite Member
      • Kawasaki 1400GTR
    « Reply #30 on: April 28, 2014, 01:22:36 PM »

I do...

Offline Conrad

« Reply #31 on: April 28, 2014, 02:15:34 PM »

Otherwise my bottle of Mobil 1 gear oil gets too dusty.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
    • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
    « Reply #32 on: April 28, 2014, 02:17:55 PM »
    I do...

Just focus on washing your bike more, it will help you feel better.  ;D
    2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
    08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
    • Elite Member
      • Kawasaki 1400GTR
    « Reply #33 on: April 28, 2014, 02:19:36 PM »
    Only if there is beer involved and my grandson washes the bike while I recline and drink the beer.

Offline ZG

• Arena
    « Reply #34 on: April 28, 2014, 04:22:48 PM »
    Only if there is beer involved and my grandson washes the bike while I recline and drink the beer.

;D :chugbeer:

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
    • 2011 Silver
    « Reply #35 on: April 28, 2014, 05:02:56 PM »

I was just replacing it roughly based on the service interval schedule, which called for 7500 miles (I did it at 9000+ miles and almost 3 years).  I am not sure if it is supposed to be grey colored, but it was pretty dark grey (could be dirty, could be dye used in the last brand the dealer used, I have no idea).  The new stuff I put in was honey colored.  I assume over time it will get contaminated with microscopic metal particles which will increase wear... plus oil can break down.
    Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
    « Reply #36 on: April 28, 2014, 05:15:54 PM »

Because as oil gets used, it loses it's viscosity... Think about this: When your wife wants to make pie with nuts on top (Easy boys...) she somehow grinds them... (EASY BOYS!) Sometimes this is done with a crusher or a hammer. Every time the nuts are crushed, the pieces get smaller and smaller.

Every time the oil gets pinched between gears, it's getting smashed.  Every time it gets smashed it gets smaller, and can't properly do it's job after a while...  When that happens, more metal wear happens, and those fine metal bits don't lubricate very well... They act as sand paper on the gears as they're turning.  This grinds more metal off, and into the oil, and its a vicious cycle. 

Now I don't know about you, but I wouldn't want to go around with smashed nuts... Think your driveline wants to go around with old oil? 

I was just replacing it roughly based on the service interval schedule, which called for 7500 miles (I did it at 9000+ miles and almost 3 years).  I am not sure if it is supposed to be grey colored, but it was pretty dark grey (could be dirty, could be dye used in the last brand the dealer used, I have no idea).  The new stuff I put in was honey colored.  I assume over time it will get contaminated with microscopic metal particles which will increase wear... plus oil can break down.

9000 miles in 3 years?! Holy cow... I've had mine for 6 months and have well over 5000... lol
    2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
    2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
    2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
    1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
    • 2011 Silver
    « Reply #37 on: April 28, 2014, 06:08:43 PM »
    9000 miles in 3 years?! Holy cow... I've had mine for 6 months and have well over 5000... lol

And my car is 5 years old and has about 15000 miles on it.  I live 4 blocks from work (in the middle of seemingly never-ending cities) so I walk or use a scooter.  My best friend with whom I used to bike ride all the time, got married, moved 20 miles away, and no longer rides (and that is before I bought the Concours).  Since I have the opportunity to ride only about once a week for 2/3rds of the year, if I am lucky, for a few hours, I think 9,653 miles in 3 years is decent, considering.

Offline gPink

• Arena
    • MMVIII C XIV
    « Reply #38 on: April 28, 2014, 06:28:37 PM »
    Max, if you enjoyed those 9,653 miles that's all that matters.  8)

Offline Stephen.G.Fiddes

• They don't call me crash for nothing...
    « Reply #39 on: April 28, 2014, 09:44:44 PM »
    And my car is 5 years old and has about 15000 miles on it.  I live 4 blocks from work (in the middle of seemingly never-ending cities) so I walk or use a scooter.  My best friend with whom I used to bike ride all the time, got married, moved 20 miles away, and no longer rides (and that is before I bought the Concours).  Since I have the opportunity to ride only about once a week for 2/3rds of the year, if I am lucky, for a few hours, I think 9,653 miles in 3 years is decent, considering.
    I figured itd be something like that.   I ride a ton for work. Lol
    2013 Kawasaki Concours 14 - CURRENT
    2012 Yamaha V-Star 250 - WIFE'S
    2006 Kawasaki Ninja 650R - SOLD
    1982 Honda CM450E - SOLD