Author Topic: engine lugging  (Read 9007 times)

Offline rtarp1

engine lugging
« on: April 16, 2012, 06:30:14 PM »
went riding today anf shifted into 6th at 35 mph .  that engine is lugging and i dont give a crap what the manual says.

Offline Tarheelbob

Re: engine lugging
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2012, 06:34:39 PM »
um...., what?
When life hands you lemons, go get the tequila and salt.

Excavator

« Reply #2 on: April 16, 2012, 06:36:18 PM »
 ;D ;D

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2012, 06:38:31 PM »
manual says you can shift into 6th at 34 mph.. good luck with that.

Excavator

« Reply #4 on: April 16, 2012, 06:46:41 PM »
manual says you can shift into 6th at 34 mph.. good luck with that.

I'll have to look at that. I never use it below 65.  :o

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 07:47:56 PM »
me either but there is some guy on here who shifts right into 6th at 35 mph routinely ..    engine lugging
=damage.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 08:23:20 PM »
went riding today anf shifted into 6th at 35 mph .  that engine is lugging and i dont give a crap what the manual says.

Of course it is lugging.  The manual is total crappola on that stupid chart.  6th gear is for something like 60+ MPH cruising.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline basmntdweller

• The Profile Brotherhood
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 09:03:44 PM »
35 mph and holding a steady speed, the engine is not lugging in 6th. Crank the throttle open and try to blast off, the engine is lugging. But it is perfectly happy at a steady 35 mph. I don't ride it that way, at 35 I'm in 3rd or 4th. Hell, if no cops are watching, I'm still in 1st when I hit 35!

Matt
'09 C14
'98 DR-350
'11 Suzuki C50T wife's ride since she hates my Connie
'03 Honda CBR600RR track bike

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2012, 09:06:56 PM »
If you are going downhill and essentially coasting you can do it without harming the engine...  I've never gone that slow, though.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline DenverC-14

« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2012, 09:34:15 PM »
The manual for cars with standards is quite similar. Crazy low speeds for shifting up that will probably maximize economy but will hardly get you anywhere. I never use the manual's "guidelines" for shift points. I shift up between 4-5k on average, and into 6th at 70.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2012, 09:39:49 PM »
I guess I'm guilty, rode the Hood Canal this Sunday with SWMBO, awesome sunny day, not much traffic, just cruising and sight seeing, nice and mellow.  Several small communities with 35 MPH limits, rolled through nice and gentle in 6th.  Is my bike toast?  I reckon I have'nt learned to ride it after 52,000 miles.  I wonder, is banging it off of the limiter in 4th worse then idling in 6th?

:popcorn: ;)

Offline Snibbor

• Arena
« Reply #11 on: April 16, 2012, 10:18:01 PM »
I guess I'm guilty, rode the Hood Canal this Sunday with SWMBO, awesome sunny day, not much traffic, just cruising and sight seeing, nice and mellow.  Several small communities with 35 MPH limits, rolled through nice and gentle in 6th.  Is my bike toast?  I reckon I have'nt learned to ride it after 52,000 miles.  I wonder, is banging it off of the limiter in 4th worse then idling in 6th?
 :popcorn: ;)

Maybe, but it sure is a lot more fun :D

Son of Pappy

« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2012, 10:28:54 PM »
 ;D ;D :goodpost:

Offline Gsun

« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2012, 10:31:56 PM »
No control at that speed in 6th. You would have to shift down about 4 gears to get out of trouble by twisting the throttle. By then, it would be too late!

Son of Pappy

« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 10:52:50 PM »
No control at that speed in 6th. You would have to shift down about 4 gears to get out of trouble by twisting the throttle. By then, it would be too late!
I reckon I'm one lucky son of a gun ;)

FWIW, I am as docile a rider as ever hit the roads when I am with my wife and I have as much fun, just a differant kind of fun.  I bet I ride as aggressively as most anyone round these forums, but I tend to do it either in the mountains with low/no traffic or on the track (twice a year).  I don't "Just ride in a parking lot" as an instructor, I do the Advanced Street Skills and dirt/ADV training as well.  I think it just kinda gets under my skin when an internet pro tells me/us that something can't be done when I know for a fact it can be.  We are usually held back by what we think we see/feel over what is possible.  Simple example, can a rider drag a knee on a stock KLR 650 on DOT full blown knobbies?  The answer is yes.  Sometimes what we say on the forum doesn't read like we meant, so no harm no foul.  We all have opinions and our own experiences, lets share em, but keep the belittling where it belongs (Arena).  Lets get back to having some good natured fun, we keep running with scissors, well, you see how Pokey turned out ;D

Offline martin_14

• know who you are
« Reply #15 on: April 16, 2012, 11:30:57 PM »
for smooth riding, I use about 4k rpm for up shift, 2k for down shift. Yes, you can shift whenever you want, it just doesn't feel good.
Build bridges, not walls.

Education is important. Riding my bike is importanter.

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2012, 04:13:21 AM »
is that your argument pappy,  "its better than bouncing off the rev limiter"?    You put unnecesary stress on the drivetrain because your only other choice is to bounce off of the rev limiter?    bad logic and what is known as a false choice. its a tactic people use when they have no argument.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2012, 06:45:34 AM »
for smooth riding, I use about 4k rpm for up shift, 2k for down shift. Yes, you can shift whenever you want, it just doesn't feel good.

^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^^
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2012, 06:52:11 AM »
is that your argument pappy,  "its better than bouncing off the rev limiter"?    You put unnecesary stress on the drivetrain because your only other choice is to bounce off of the rev limiter?    bad logic and what is known as a false choice. its a tactic people use when they have no argument.

So where is your stress for the drive-train coming into play, I have found that this bike could care less what gear you are in? How about you just ride however you feel fit, and let everybody else do the same. I have yet to hear of a "true" drive-train issue from anybody other than a few clunky final drives.
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #19 on: April 17, 2012, 07:05:35 AM »
put into 6th at 35 and you will feel the stress.  have you ever rideen a bicycle and put it into its highest gear while going slow and then tried to pedal?   You have to work really really hard to move , well the engine is working really hard to move the bike .. same concept.