Author Topic: engine lugging  (Read 9008 times)

Son of Pappy

Re: engine lugging
« Reply #20 on: April 17, 2012, 07:08:00 AM »
is that your argument pappy,  "its better than bouncing off the rev limiter"?    You put unnecesary stress on the drivetrain because your only other choice is to bounce off of the rev limiter?    bad logic and what is known as a false choice. its a tactic people use when they have no argument.
OK.  What places MORE STRESS on the motor/drivetrain, a bike at idle or a bike WFO?  Think about it for just a moment.  If you need any help feel free to look at a dyno chart, should help you figure it out.

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #21 on: April 17, 2012, 07:39:10 AM »
your not understanding the point pappy.   who cares about a bike at idle or WOT.  its not what we are talking about .  i can see why your having trouble with the lugging concept now.  At 35 MPh you really shouldnt go above 4th gear.  5th and definitely 6th at that slow speed stresses the motor.    Simple concept.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
  • WESTERVILLE OHIO 'Twit"
« Reply #22 on: April 17, 2012, 07:52:43 AM »
Still eagerly awaiting the proof of engine/transmission damage from lugging. :feedback:
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline stevewfl

• Arena
« Reply #23 on: April 17, 2012, 07:57:14 AM »
Threads such as these are indisputable proof KiPass protects our bikes and theirs not much to complain about
“The World is a book, and those who do not travel read only a page.” St. Augustine

Son of Pappy

« Reply #24 on: April 17, 2012, 09:06:20 AM »
your not understanding the point pappy.   who cares about a bike at idle or WOT.  its not what we are talking about .  i can see why your having trouble with the lugging concept now.  At 35 MPh you really shouldnt go above 4th gear.  5th and definitely 6th at that slow speed stresses the motor.    Simple concept.
So, you are claiming it is MORE stress at idle in 6th then it is at say 10500 in fourth?  Simple question, you are sitting at a red light, it turns green, how much stress is being placed on the drive train as you start moving?

You do realize you are on a forum with seasoned riders, right?  Me thinks your tactics may work on a Ninja250 forum, but they have a hard time passing muster here.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #25 on: April 17, 2012, 09:51:16 AM »
Shall we say that there are various riding styles and opinions on the forum?  Some of us would ride well together, but not others.   Personally, I don't ride around at 34mph in 6th very often, but regularly do 40mph in 6th and the bike has no problem with it.   I don't think most of us care how the rest of us ride for the most part.  For instance, I don't care if you never shift into 6th before 65mph.  I may think that you're doing it "wrong", but I can't see how it harms me.

As to the 10,500rpm in 4th:  There seems to be some anecdotal evidence that the tachs on C14's register high, and that the cutoff is actually closer to 10k rpm.  So maybe you aren't stressing the bike as much as you think.  :)

My bike does seem to like cooler weather.  A few nights ago it pulled the front wheel on partial throttle as it hit mid-range in first.  So maybe all the slow 6th gear riding is good for it. :)
Eyes, Brain, Hands.  Repeat.

Offline Shadowofshoe

• Arena
  • Mastiff pup/human pup
« Reply #26 on: April 17, 2012, 12:18:40 PM »

Well heck.....there's a six gear on these mutha's? Who'd a thunk??

Mike
Sooooo....we are about to be a Nation that makes you prove you have insurance-but it's not necessary to prove that you are indeed a Citizen of that Nation?

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #27 on: April 17, 2012, 12:23:08 PM »
I posted all the engine lugging info on the last thread, if you missed it too bad.  i dont care if you shift into 6th at 10 mph.  have fun.    Go ask a seasoned mechanic at kawasaki , i'm going to do that tomorrow.

yes pappy i didnt ans your question. you dont understand what this concept correctly and im not going to try to explain it to you anymore.   you win go ride have fun .

If your trying to say you just let the engine idle in 6th gear to maintain speed , no your probably not hurting anything . just remember to downshit 2 gears to pick up speed or go up a hill.  honestly i cant understand why you would want to do this but wateva. 

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #28 on: April 17, 2012, 03:11:39 PM »
Good luck finding a seasoned Kawasaki mechanic!!!! :rotflmao: Funny how you are the only person that this seems to bother, I can assure you that few if any gives a rats arse. You seem rather irritated and bothered in many of your posts, do you need an intervention?
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

"All we have to do is decide what to do with the time given to us". Gandalf the Grey

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #29 on: April 17, 2012, 05:08:58 PM »
yes i think i do need an intervention ,  come to long island ny and give me one .  :)

Offline VirginiaJim

• Administrator
  • Elite Member
  • I've forgotten more than I'll ever know...
    • Kawasaki 1400GTR
« Reply #30 on: April 17, 2012, 05:34:04 PM »
Good luck finding a seasoned Kawasaki mechanic!!!! :rotflmao: Funny how you are the only person that this seems to bother, I can assure you that few if any gives a rats arse. You seem rather irritated and bothered in many of your posts, do you need an intervention?

You noticed that as well, eh?

Drink beer and mellow out, that's my stand.  Also, riding more helps as well.
"LOCTITE®"  The original thread locker...  #11  2020 Indian Roadmaster, ABS, Cruise control, heated grips and seats/w/AC 46 Monitoring with cutting edge technology U.N.I.T is Back! Member in good standing with the Knights of MEH.

Offline Pokey

• Arena
« Reply #31 on: April 17, 2012, 06:12:47 PM »
yes i think i do need an intervention ,  come to long island ny and give me one .  :)

My interventions can get very expensive!  ;)
2006 DL1000  2006 SV650
08 C14 "gone"

Offline jjsC6

« Reply #32 on: April 17, 2012, 08:33:32 PM »
me either but there is some guy on here who shifts right into 6th at 35 mph routinely ..    engine lugging
=damage.

No doubt you are referring to me, and you took my comments way out of context.  If it was not me I apologize for taking it that way, but I feel pretty certain you are referring to my post in another thread.

First, I don't due it routinely because I very seldom cruise at anywhere near 35.  Second, I know when and engine is lugging and when it isn't.  I would not shift to 6th at that speed going up an incline for instance.  But I live where it is extremely flat.  There was a post earlier using an example of trying to pedal a bicycle in too high of a gear.  That is actually a very good point.  But try that going up hill, then try it on a perfectly flat road, then try it going down hill - all in the same gear and at the same speed.  You will see that what might be "lugging" in some conditions is not lugging in others.
Jim
2010 Concours - Sold Feb 2013
Current bikes....
2011 Ninja 1000, 2013 BMW 1600 GT, 2012 Ducati Panigale

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #33 on: April 17, 2012, 08:58:42 PM »
Jim, don't go off being rational.  Trying to explain experience and a sensitive throttle hand to someone who doesn't get it is a waste of time.

Offline rtarp1

« Reply #34 on: April 17, 2012, 09:39:22 PM »
whats the purpose of being in 6th at 35?    makes no sense.   i did it on a flat road and easy on the throttle and the engine did not like it at all.  maybe the engine speaks to me a little more clearly than it does you.

Offline lt1

• 2008 C14
« Reply #35 on: April 17, 2012, 09:58:28 PM »
whats the purpose of being in 6th at 35?    makes no sense.   i did it on a flat road and easy on the throttle and the engine did not like it at all.  maybe the engine speaks to me a little more clearly than it does you.
It's your thread, but you are repeating yourself.  We all know that you don't understand it / that it doesn't make sense to you.  Ride how you want.  Since you haven't listened to anything posted in this thread, I decline your invitation to try to explain it again.  Have a nice day.

Son of Pappy

« Reply #36 on: April 17, 2012, 10:13:25 PM »
This isn't a witty response.  Because I can, when I'm with the misses I am in no way performance oriented and very fuel conscious.  Between the exhaust mods, auto tune, an ZX TBs she breathes like a 1352 should, I promise you I am not doing anything that will hurt the powertrain or engine that arrives from my riding style 2 up.  I am more likely to damage something power shifting 1-5 WFO and rapid hard core downshifts.  Like I said, 52000 miles I have racked up on this bike, riding in every manner thinkable.  Ask Jay if she seemed anemic leaving Puyallup this last weekend ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #37 on: April 17, 2012, 10:25:03 PM »
This isn't a witty response.  Because I can, when I'm with the misses I am in no way performance oriented and very fuel conscious.  Between the exhaust mods, auto tune, an ZX TBs she breathes like a 1352 should, I promise you I am not doing anything that will hurt the powertrain or engine that arrives from my riding style 2 up.  I am more likely to damage something power shifting 1-5 WFO and rapid hard core downshifts.  Like I said, 52000 miles I have racked up on this bike, riding in every manner thinkable.  Ask Jay if she seemed anemic leaving Puyallup this last weekend ;D

Indeed! She does get it on!  :o

Especially when the local guy takes us the wrong way on the on ramp and then tries to make up for it by blasting 100+ to make up ground...  ;) ;D

Son of Pappy

« Reply #38 on: April 17, 2012, 10:34:13 PM »
Which ramp was more fun? ;D

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #39 on: April 17, 2012, 10:45:22 PM »