Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 293513 times)

Offline ZZG1400RIDER

Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #500 on: April 18, 2012, 06:13:49 AM »
Ok hate to be a bother but PICTURES!!! ;D Like they say Pictures are worth a thousand words. Any picture will allow me to drool. Well thanks again for the fast responses and all the info still cant wait for these bars.

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #501 on: April 18, 2012, 08:12:59 AM »
Ok hate to be a bother but PICTURES!!! ;D Like they say Pictures are worth a thousand words. Any picture will allow me to drool. Well thanks again for the fast responses and all the info still cant wait for these bars.

Over the last few days, we've been working on tweaking the bar so the Canyon Cage hits the ground at the same time the rear bag guards do. At first we shifted the bar out about a half inch which proved to do very little to solve our issue so we had to scrap that change. Next, we decided to try shifting the bar down slightly. This actually really helped and now both the bars hit the ground at nearly the same time. We just got this change finished up and welded into place yesterday afternoon so I didn't have time to get any photos but I'll get some this morning for you guys so you can see the latest design. It's essentially the same as it was before, just shifted down slightly on the bike. It did change the aesthetics slightly but I still think it looks really good. Pictures coming shortly!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #502 on: April 18, 2012, 09:29:55 AM »
BLEGH! They moved the bar down slightly like we had discussed yesterday but for some reason they also tweaked the upper horizontal bar. They tightened the radius to create a sharper angle. To me, it doesn't look quite as good so I'm going to have them change it back. I'll wait til they make that change before I post more pics of the entire bar but I do have a photo of the left side for you guys. In this photo the bike is tipped over so you guys can see that the shifter is indeed protected. Take a look!

This is where the bike comes to rest at the 45 degree angle. Once the bike rocks over that initial point and is more perpendicular to the ground, the shifter will only get farther away from the ground.

Anyhow, I'll be uploading more photos for you guys of the lowered bar once they change the upper horizontal bar back to where it was previously.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

MGvalerio

« Reply #503 on: April 18, 2012, 10:08:56 AM »
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g43/rnvanquish/IMG_0158.jpg

Sembrano più corte qui le Guardie lato DX.

Tenere presente che il cemento come piano di strada non può dare la giusta realtà dell'asfalto in più in stagione estiva.

La mia osservazione ha come fine ad una ottima realizzazione senza sviste.

MGvalerio 8)

Seem shorter here Guards RH side.

Keep in mind that as the cement floor of the road can not give the right of the asphalt actually more in the summer.

My observation as an end to a great achievement without oversights.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #504 on: April 18, 2012, 10:19:41 AM »
http://i53.photobucket.com/albums/g43/rnvanquish/IMG_0158.jpg

Sembrano più corte qui le Guardie lato DX.

Tenere presente che il cemento come piano di strada non può dare la giusta realtà dell'alfalto in più in stagione estiva.

La mia osservazione ha come fine ad una ottima realizzazione senza sviste.

MGvalerio 8)

I'm not sure what you're saying here but the photo you linked is a relatively old version of the bars. Since the photo you linked was taken, we've made quite a few changes to the bar so the front and rear guard hit the ground at the same time. This change also helped the Canyon Cage hold the front portion of the bike higher off the ground which gave more clearance to the footpegs and brake pedal/shifter.

MGvalerio

« Reply #505 on: April 18, 2012, 10:52:15 AM »
RyanMCEnterprises  OK  :)

Vorrei far presente che se la leva del cambio si rompe per la caduta accidentale della moto da fermo ,non sarà possibile inserire alcuna marcia con asticella cambio rotta,rimaniamo con la marcia messa o peggio con cambio in  folle, il mio motivo di fondo è questo....quindi buon lavoro come sempre.
Informare non è demigrare,visto che la cosa era stata data per scontata da voi.Diamo a Cesare quello che è di Cesare,visto una certa freddezza nella sua risposta. ;) 

MGvalerio. 8)

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #506 on: April 18, 2012, 12:48:45 PM »
^^^I'm not sure how to take that guy.....^^^

Offline ugocon

« Reply #507 on: April 18, 2012, 01:57:37 PM »
Ciao everybody!  :D
My name is Ugo and I joined this forum just yesterday.
I've been told about it by Valerio, a friend of mine I met on an Italian Forum about the Concours (in Italy called GTR 1400).
I also have this bike (MY2011) since last September, coming from a HD Dyna Street Bob.

Let's say that Valerio is very ... direct  ;D, but he has an extraordinary creativity!
Moreover he doesn't speak a word in English...  and believe me, sometimes he's hard to understand even when he writes in Italian!  ;)

What he is trying to communicate is that he is concerned about the possible damages to the shift lever when the bike lays down on the left side.
In details, despite a safety guard space between the shifter tip and the ground, there could be a damage anyway due to actual irregularities of the pavement.
Also, when hot in summer, the floor could be "tender", thus the bike could "sink" a little in the tarmac... and destroy the shifter.
He also points out that the shifter is very fragile and breaks very easily (he already replaced couple of them...) and if it happens when you're far from home it's impossible, according to his experience, shift to another gear: if you're in neutral, no way you can go in 1st or 2nd!

That's why he is suggesting to increase a little bit the gap between the shifter tip and the ground.

Valerio's words!  :)

BTW, I find this forum very interesting, professional and "alive" and, despite I'm on the other side of the pond, I'm eager to participate and share each other's experiences, opinions, dreams...

:chugbeer:

Ciao
Ugo
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline Conrad

« Reply #508 on: April 18, 2012, 02:01:12 PM »
Welcome Ugo!

"Moreover he doesn't speak a word in English...  and believe me, sometimes he's hard to understand even when he writes in Italian!"

You don't say?    ;)
Northern Illinois   Silverdammit '08 C-14 ABS

"Don't bother me with facts, Son. I've already made up my mind." -Foghorn Leghorn

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #509 on: April 18, 2012, 02:01:35 PM »
That is a much better translation than I got from the Google translator.  ;D

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #510 on: April 18, 2012, 02:32:26 PM »
Welp, here is the finalized version of the bar. They finally got it finished up and sent out to the powdercoaters. Unfortunately, I was busy handling other stuff when they finalized the bar and wasn't around to give my final okay but then again I'm not the one with the final okay, that'd be the owner. Here are some photos of the final bar that was lowered slightly to protect the lower part of the fairing as well as the brake pedal and shift lever.

What he is trying to communicate is that he is concerned about the possible damages to the shift lever when the bike lays down on the left side.
In details, despite a safety guard space between the shifter tip and the ground, there could be a damage anyway due to actual irregularities of the pavement.
Also, when hot in summer, the floor could be "tender", thus the bike could "sink" a little in the tarmac... and destroy the shifter.
He also points out that the shifter is very fragile and breaks very easily (he already replaced couple of them...) and if it happens when you're far from home it's impossible, according to his experience, shift to another gear: if you're in neutral, no way you can go in 1st or 2nd!

That's why he is suggesting to increase a little bit the gap between the shifter tip and the ground.

Ahhhh okay, that's a bit more clear. The photo is a bit misleading and makes the shifter look closer than it really is. There's an inch and a half or more between the shifter and the ground as is. If we extend or lower the bar any more it'll begin to look really awkward on the bike. I believe we've protected the shifter as best we can while also protecting the other parts of the bike.

Offline ZZG1400RIDER

« Reply #511 on: April 18, 2012, 02:56:08 PM »
Yeah Pictures!!! Now all we need is instructions to make the whole thing legit.  ;D Can I trouble you to take pictures with out the saddle bag bars on and with out the sadle bags. I ride my Connie with out the bags all the time. I figure for guys who buy them and have to wait to buy the bag bars we can see what kinda protection it provides.  Let us know when you have pictures of the powder coated cage.  Keep up the great work and thanks again for all that you do Ryan. :D

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #512 on: April 18, 2012, 03:00:02 PM »
Yeah Pictures!!! Now all we need is instructions to make the whole thing legit.  ;D Can I trouble you to take pictures with out the saddle bag bars on and with out the sadle bags. I ride my Connie with out the bags all the time. I figure for guys who buy them and have to wait to buy the bag bars we can see what kinda protection it provides.  Let us know when you have pictures of the powder coated cage.  Keep up the great work and thanks again for all that you do Ryan. :D

I was actually going to take photos without the rear bags and guards on the other day but the guy whose bike we're using didn't leave the key to remove the bags! I have the little rectangle electronic piece to start the bike but don't you need the actual key to remove the bags? If that's incorrect, I'll take some photos like this once we get the bar back from our powdercoaters. If the key is needed, we'll have to wait until the guy comes to pick the bike up.  :-\

Once we get the bar back I'll be sure to add more photos of the finished product!

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #513 on: April 18, 2012, 03:02:08 PM »
I was actually going to take photos without the rear bags and guards on the other day but the guy whose bike we're using didn't leave the key to remove the bags! I have the little rectangle electronic piece to start the bike but don't you need the actual key to remove the bags? If that's incorrect, I'll take some photos like this once we get the bar back from our powdercoaters. If the key is needed, we'll have to wait until the guy comes to pick the bike up.  :-\

Once we get the bar back I'll be sure to add more photos of the finished product!

Not sure which fob he left you, but if it is the larger fob flip it over, the key is on the back and slides out...

Offline ugocon

« Reply #514 on: April 18, 2012, 03:05:42 PM »

Not sure which fob he left you, but if it is the larger fob flip it over, the key is on the back and slides out...

Yeah!
That's the key I use to open the fuel cap!
I think that since MY 2010 (if not MY2009) it's standard on the fob.
Stand out from the crowd: do not buy a BMW !!!

Offline Gumby

• Arena
  • Black 2011
« Reply #515 on: April 18, 2012, 03:06:09 PM »
That is not the case for the 2nd gen bikes. If you have the fob turn the key to the right I think it says FSS. The key will then come out and you can use that to remove the bags.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #516 on: April 18, 2012, 03:07:11 PM »

Ahhhhh! Indeed it does! I thought that was where the little watch battery would go. Silly me! I'll get some photos without the rear bags and guards on when the receive the Canyon Cage back from our powdercoaters in a day or two! I could tell you though, the exhaust would definitely take a hit without the rear bars on there. It seems as though most of the bike itself would be protected but the stock exhaust would definitely hit. I'll get some photos for you, though...

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #517 on: April 18, 2012, 03:17:24 PM »
Welp, here is the finalized version of the bar. They finally got it finished up and sent out to the powdercoaters. Unfortunately, I was busy handling other stuff when they finalized the bar and wasn't around to give my final okay but then again I'm not the one with the final okay, that'd be the owner. Here are some photos of the final bar that was lowered slightly to protect the lower part of the fairing as well as the brake pedal and shift lever.

Eeek.  Unfortunately, it really did make a dramatic change to the look of the bars.   The bottom used to follow the fairing line more closely.  Now it doesn't seem to match anything.  And the top bar's rear angle looks very strange, like it is more than 90 degrees and bulging out.  Plus the lower mount doesn't meet an intersection. (although it wasn't attached at all in the first mockup, so there wasn't anything to compare to).

I have attached a composite picture that compares the two.  I adjusted the resolutions and positions the best I could to have a similar view.

I think, at a minimum, it is imperative to change the top bar to have the same position and angle as in the first version (which mirrors the lower bar, just turned around).  I can't get a total feel from just the few pictures, but it is enough to be a bit shocked.  I really don't want to sound negative, because I know that functionality is important and this is a lot of work.... but I think the top bar is ruining it now.  Although that top picture (below) was my favorite, hands down, if the top bar must look like what it is now (bottom picture, below), I would rather have no top bar at all.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #518 on: April 18, 2012, 03:24:05 PM »
Why does it need a top bar? 

Offline wally_games

• Arena
« Reply #519 on: April 18, 2012, 03:26:57 PM »
Why does it need a top bar?

So there's a place to put your highway pegs.  :o
'14 BMW 1200 GSw (red, what little there is that's not grey)
'11 Concours ABS (black) w/ Leo Vince carbon, heated Corbin, Garmin; TechSpec pads (gone but not forgotten)
'05 Yamaha FZ6, only crashed once, gone in trade; '87 Honda Gold Wing Aspencade, sold; '85 Honda Magna (700), sold; '76 Kawasaki KZ400, sold