Author Topic: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion  (Read 294081 times)

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
Re: MC Enterprises Concours Canyon Cage Discussion
« Reply #520 on: April 18, 2012, 03:28:04 PM »
So there's a place to put your highway pegs.  :o

The bottom bar is too high for that!

:o

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #521 on: April 18, 2012, 03:29:36 PM »
No! Stop! Back up! The final design is just not right!

Whoever made the final call IMHO just made a big mistake.

The bars must follow the lines of the bike, period!
The Pope
2011 C-14 Atomic Silver...... aka ImprovedSilverDammIt.

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline ZG

• Arena
« Reply #522 on: April 18, 2012, 03:44:14 PM »
That is not the case for the 2nd gen bikes. If you have the fob turn the key to the right I think it says FSS. The key will then come out and you can use that to remove the bags.

:o  No no no, don't remove that key, it will put a curse on it for sure...  ;)

Offline RyanMCEnterprises

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #523 on: April 18, 2012, 03:56:56 PM »
No! Stop! Back up! The final design is just not right!

Whoever made the final call IMHO just made a big mistake.

The bars must follow the lines of the bike, period!

I probably shouldn't say this but I completely agree 100%. After I left yesterday, when they were going to lower the bar to fix the shifter clearance issue, other changes somehow made their way into the bar as well. I'm pleading with the powers that be to change the bar back to the previous design and merely lower it without making any other changes. The version we had before this final one was damn near perfect except for being an inch or so too high and it seems like we've since regressed. Don't worry, guys. It's not too late to make changes and I won't let anything but perfection leave this shop.

UPDATE: I've talked the owner into reverting back to the previous design we had just before this "finalized" bar. It got a bit loud in here but I'm going to have them build a new bar from scratch and I'm going to watch every damn step to make sure it's to OUR expectations. Don't worry, guys, we'll get this thing made properly.
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #524 on: April 18, 2012, 03:59:06 PM »
THANKS!!!!!
The Pope

"The Universe is a contest between engineers making things idiot-proof and God making bigger idiots. So far, God is winning by a wide margin." Unknown author, well I don't know who said it.

Offline mikeboileau

• Arena
  • It ain't easy bein cheesy....
« Reply #525 on: April 18, 2012, 04:01:19 PM »
I probably shouldn't say this but I completely agree 100%. After I left yesterday, when they were going to lower the bar to fix the shifter clearance issue, other changes somehow made their way into the bar as well. I'm pleading with the powers that be to change the bar back to the previous design and merely lower it without making any other changes. The version we had before this final one was damn near perfect except for being an inch or so too high and it seems like we've since regressed. Don't worry, guys. It's not too late to make changes and I won't let anything but perfection leave this shop.

UPDATE: I've talked the owner into reverting back to the previous design we had just before this "finalized" bar. It got a bit loud in here but I'm going to have them build a new bar from scratch and I'm going to watch every damn step to make sure it's to OUR expectations. Don't worry, guys, we'll get this thing made properly.

GREAT call!   Major kudos!

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #526 on: April 18, 2012, 04:02:25 PM »
Or you could remove the ignition key. Simply pressed in on the ignition and turned it to the far right. It will pull out to reveal a key.

FYIY, I'm not really thrilled with the final design either. Then again, I'm not gonna' drop my bike any time soon.  ;D

Flathead

« Reply #527 on: April 18, 2012, 04:15:04 PM »
Or you could remove the ignition key. Simply pressed in on the ignition and turned it to the far right. It will pull out to reveal a key.

FYIY, I'm not really thrilled with the final design either. Then again, I'm not gonna' drop my bike any time soon.  ;D

Careful.... don't temp fate or karma LOL

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #528 on: April 18, 2012, 04:19:54 PM »

I am very glad you won!  (But also sorry it seems to have caused some conflict).

I kinda thought you were just waiting for someone on the forum (like me) to point out that there was something very wrong about what happened, so you would have some ammo.  I am no designer, but I know what I like and don't when I see it- and boy did that sucker mutate!

Also- was the original intent to have the bottom mount point meet at the top intersection?  I think that would be more attractive, but I am not sure it is possible.  Lord knows I do not want to make too many waves!  Just ignore this whole paragraph if it opens a can of worms.
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #529 on: April 18, 2012, 04:39:33 PM »
I am very glad you won!  (But also sorry it seems to have caused some conflict).

I kinda thought you were just waiting for someone on the forum (like me) to point out that there was something very wrong about what happened, so you would have some ammo.  I am no designer, but I know what I like and don't when I see it- and boy did that sucker mutate!

Also- was the original intent to have the bottom mount point meet at the top intersection?  I think that would be more attractive, but I am not sure it is possible.  Lord knows I do not want to make too many waves!  Just ignore this whole paragraph if it opens a can of worms.

There's a funky back story you guys aren't privvy to.

When I came in this morning I walked out back, saw the mutated bars, and almost screamed. Then the owner showed up and said that was the final version and it was sent off to our powdercoaters. At that point he had asked if I took photos and posted them to the forum which I hadn't done yet. He didn't know this at the time but I didn't want to post the photos because I knew the design was crap and needed to be changed. After an hour or two of arguing I gave up and decided to post the photos and I'm glad I did because you guys reacted exactly as I hoped you would. The owner heard of the immediate negative responses, gave in, and is allowing me to redo the bar the way it should be done.

So, we're working on getting the bars back to where they should be. On that note, though, the bottom of the bar isn't going to *appear* as though it follows the lines on the bike as there are a few different lines to follow towards the bottom of the front end of the bike where the vents are (there are a few different lines which go at a few different angles). However, the top horizontal bar is going to flow perfectly with the vents and the bottom bar is going to be perfectly parallel to the top bar (thus making it follow the lines of the vent as well). The angles are going to remain exactly the same as they were previously, just slightly lower on the bike itself. I'll be sure to get photos for you guys as soon as my revised bar is done!
MC Enterprises has been manufacturing quality motorcycle products for nearly 45 years! Visit us online at www.MCEnterprises.com!

Offline Caffeinated

• Arena
« Reply #530 on: April 18, 2012, 04:55:56 PM »
I'm offline for a couple of hours and this thread explodes!  Thank you for putting the brakes on the "final" design. It would be a shame to have gone to all this trouble to end up with something no one will buy?

Will the lower mount point meet with the top bar, like in the earlier version? or will it be a visible mount on the exterior below where the top bar meets?
Chris (COG# 8538), Bristow, Va
2012 Black Concours 1400
2011 Silver Concours 1400 (Totaled)
2002 Silver Concours (sold), 06 Vulcan 900LT (sold), 03 VStar 650 (sold)

Offline Zulu

« Reply #531 on: April 18, 2012, 05:01:00 PM »
No ,no, no!!!!  ..... What happened everything was well . :(
Don't like the new design .

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #532 on: April 18, 2012, 05:08:26 PM »
I'm offline for a couple of hours and this thread explodes!  Thank you for putting the brakes on the "final" design. It would be a shame to have gone to all this trouble to end up with something no one will buy?

Will the lower mount point meet with the top bar, like in the earlier version? or will it be a visible mount on the exterior below where the top bar meets?

Hahahahaha, yea, things got hectic here for a while! No problem about putting the brakes on, though. I wasn't about to let that design leave our shop as the final design. I would have walked out in protest if they decided not to change it. As Caffeinated said, why go through all this work to end at a bar nobody will want? Earlier versions were a bit misleading as we were always intending for that to be an external mounting point. We just didn't set it up in earlier iterations due to time. Also, the upper horizontal bar will meet just above that mounting point because that's where it looks best now that we've had to shift the bar down on the bike. The bar is almost done, though. I should have some photos for you guys shortly.

Offline maxtog

• Elite Member
  • 2011 Silver
« Reply #533 on: April 18, 2012, 05:14:44 PM »
There's a funky back story you guys aren't privvy to.

OK, I must be even more intuitive than I even implied in my post ;)
Shoodaben (was Guhl) Mountain Runner ECU flash, Canyon Cages front/rear, Helibars risers, Phil's wedges, Grip Puppies, Sargent World seat-low & heated & pod, Muzzy lowering links, Soupy's stand, Nautilus air horn, Admore lightbar, Ronnie's highway pegs, front running lights, all LED, helmet locks, RAM Xgrip, Sena SMH10, Throttle Tamer, MRA X-Creen, BearingUp Shifter, PR4-GT, Scorpion EXO-T1200,etc

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #534 on: April 18, 2012, 05:14:54 PM »
+1000 on the back of the top bar needing to meet the lower at a 90 degree angle as it was before.

Thanks for having our back, Ryan. I think I understand what the shop was trying to do with that top bar, but it didn't work.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline OregonLAN

« Reply #535 on: April 18, 2012, 05:17:40 PM »
IMHO, moving the guard down really does make it look out of place on this bike. If you look at the before and after pictures, you will notice that the guards are essentially the same shape except for the height of the horizontal bars. By simply moving it up, it looks 100x better.

I know these modification are being done to remain "compatible" with the rear guards, but would it be possible to sell the newly designed guards as "incompatible" with the rear guards? That, or look into modifying the rear guards so that they work with the new design.

Just a thought.

• MC Enterprises
« Reply #536 on: April 18, 2012, 05:24:31 PM »
OK, I must be even more intuitive than I even implied in my post ;)

Hahahaha definitely!

+1000 on the back of the top bar needing to meet the lower at a 90 degree angle as it was before.

Thanks for having our back, Ryan. I think I understand what the shop was trying to do with that top bar, but it didn't work.

No, no, thank YOU guys for having MY back! Your response to the "final" bar is what led the owner to reconsider his decision. Well, that and my incessant harping.

Anyhow, here is MY revised bar. Unfortunately it HAS to be that low on the fairing to protect the bike the way it needs to. I know the lower horizontal bar doesn't appear to follow the lines behind it but it is perfectly parallel to the upper horizontal bar which follows the lines of the vent well. If we were to make the lower bar follow the lines of the bike, that opening would look really funky. I'm hoping the small correction to the upper horizontal bar we just made is all we need to call this bar done! What do you guys think? If there are any other changes needed, we can make them tomorrow morning before sending this off to our powder coaters.

Offline The Pope

• COG #9994 (NC AAD)
« Reply #537 on: April 18, 2012, 05:36:19 PM »
Yes! This is much better that the prior "final" design.

I am a designer and I work for a global company that has been around for 175 years and we paint our product Green. :-)

Thanks again for not being a "Yes Man" and listing to the customers.
The Pope

Offline RBX QB

« Reply #538 on: April 18, 2012, 05:44:59 PM »
IMHO, moving the guard down really does make it look out of place on this bike. If you look at the before and after pictures, you will notice that the guards are essentially the same shape except for the height of the horizontal bars. By simply moving it up, it looks 100x better.

I agree based on bars that stand out so much from the color behind (like the mockups against a black bike), but I believe this will disappear (or at least, be less noticeable) with bars that more match the color of the plastic lowers that are behind it. Black bars will blend better with the dark lowers. It's a compromise, but I can live with it on my bike.
2011 Concours 14 ABS
2̶0̶0̶6̶ ̶D̶u̶c̶a̶t̶i̶ ̶M̶o̶n̶s̶t̶e̶r̶ ̶S̶2̶R̶D̶  SOLD

Offline Texas Concours14

« Reply #539 on: April 18, 2012, 05:48:38 PM »
Keep on fighting for the design Ryan! Bottom line is that putting these bars on the bike is optional and costs a non-trivial amount of money. As consumers with other options, I suspect that many of us won't buy the MC bars unless they are functional AND pleasing to the eye. You make them like I think you are planning to, I will be buying a front and rear set. Your intervention will generate more revenue for MC Enterprises. Hope the owner realizes this!
2010 C14 ABS